• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Outer Worlds had a bug where the game crashed when you entered a certain door. I found a video though showing that you could bunny hop your way to the same room via other door, so I could bypass the crash.
I had this same one, but I avoided it by sending all my cohorts back to the ship. When you entered the room by yourself, it worked and I could beat the game.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Deathspank: Thongs of Virtue:

Right at the end of the game, an essential enemy may not spawn - and if that does happen, and the game saves, that save is permanently uncompletable.

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
I beat the last boss of The Surge and the game crashed... didn't see the ending or get the trophy, never played it again.

Spudstercool

Jul 14, 2019
Batman: Arkham Origins (PS3)

Not a very exciting bug, but there were moments when I was playing the game where the frame rate would seriously start to decline - and hit about 1FPS, to the point where it was unbearable. It seemed a bit shoddy for a console game to have such performance issues so I returned it and got my 30GBP back.

spunodi

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic 3 - Carnival Night Zone Act 2

In particular, there's a glitch after Knuckles knocks out the lights where if you speed up the wall, instead of going with the curve you get trapped in it and can only wait for a timeout (10 minutes to elapse) or reset. Luckily, it had a save game feature. Also, it was known enough to the devs that in the manual was a warning of "Robotnik's Speed Traps".

Yet in the same zone it's the barrel that gets all the attention.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FFT - Belias
latest

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword had a bug that left you unable to continue about halfway through if you did a few things in a certain order (there was no way to tell until it was too late). I was one of the unlucky ones, and since Wii games couldn't be patched my last resort was getting a save file from someone who had reached pretty much the same point in the game. Worked out, but he didn't have exactly the same upgrades and collectibles as I did, so it didn't feel completely right. Still, I finished the game, but that was the worst experience I've ever had with a Nintendo game.

Nintendo later released a special channel that edited your save file to fix this issue, but that was way after I was already done with the game.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
There were a few quests in New Vegas I couldn't finish, and at some point I was forced to side w/ the faction that would allow me to beat the game (because the other faction questlines were broken). I could finish the game, but not the way I wanted to.

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Got stuck in one of the late game battles in shadowrun returns because an Ally NPC never took their turn.

In Prey, right after release, a key that was supposed to spawn fell through the floor and as such I was never able to proceed.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Got stuck in the Hidden Village (so ... over halfway through the game) in Twilight Princess GC during one of my playthroughs. The story event didn't trigger no matter what I did (could leave the area, save, load, go do unrelated things and come back -- nothing).

Didn't happen my first time through, luckily.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout New Vegas has a bug with its save function where eventually the files got so large you could no longer access them. To play the game you had to complete it under a certain amount of time or quests, otherwise you just had to start over because your game was inaccessible.

Oct 28, 2017
Tomb Raider Underworld. In one of the late game levels there's a room with a ledge you have to drop down to then from there you shimmy along. As part of the game, this ledge breaks and you're supposed to quickly move across before falling. However it's possible for you to see the ledge crumbling and instead of jumping across, choose to jump back up to where you were. The problem? If you do that then you can no longer go back down there since the ledge is now permanently gone. The worst part? Moving around this room, it's possible to trigger an autosave. If you trigger this autosave after this ledge has been broken like this, it now becomes impossible to progress and restarting the checkpoint will not make the ledge reappear, making progress impossible.

Oct 28, 2017
saints row 2 or 3? cant remember but it was on ps3, for the last mission i went to my apartment which was near the last mission to save but when i get out turns out every around the apartment is a data hole. cars, people, myself were falling through the streets. couldnt finish the game and since then i hated saints row with a passion

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
There was an X-Men or Wolverine game on the GameCube. You get to a Magneto fight in a parking or freight lot, he created a magnetic tornado of cars and trucks.... Then the game crashed... It was game breaking and the only option was to start a new save file and hope it didn't happen next time.

Col.Asher

Nov 10, 2017
Telltales walking dead. The game wouldn't save my progress from episode 1 to episode 2. This happened twice and was the last time I touched a Telltale game

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
The German version of Digimon World had a bug causing a certain event not to trigger making it impossible to progress through the story the normal way. I even called the publisher help-line as a kid and they confirmed it to me. There was apparently a way to still finish the game but it involved some insane grinding from what I remember.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
There was something similar in Atelier Rorona (the vanilla version on PS3): using the most powerful bomb against the second to last optional boss at the end of a long dungeon made the game crash. The only way to avoid it was using other items, thus making the fight even more difficult.

Also present in Mana Khemia 2. There's a boss that crashes the game if it uses one of its attacks.

Luckily, it only affected one of the bosses only present in the second playthrough, but it was a huge pain to deal with either way.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Discworld on Saturn. Could never complete the game because last act would never appear due to a bug which impeded progress. No matter how many different guides I followed, doing everything in a different order or whatever: I could never pick up the little dragon at lady ramkin's

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
The last of us on ps4.
The ai just doesnt work and enemies dont move so basically they are all very close to eachother and since they dont move i cant sneak past them.
Im playing on grounded so.....rip.
I didnt remember this part being like this and I watched guides on youtube and its not supposed to be like that.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, I ran into this in Fable II.

It's hazy at this point, but at the end of the game there's a

dream sequence or some time of flashback where you grab a music box. No matter what I did though, I couldn't grab the music box. I tried absolutely everything - apparently no one else ran into this because I couldn't find anything on the internet.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
there was some bug (and i'm not even sure it'd classify as a "bug"...?) in metroid prime 3 where i had to ship my wii to nintendo (on my own dime) to play it. today i would've broken the disc in half out of rage or sold it but at the time i was like "whatever". before the age where everything was obligated to be 'solved' through a patch so i didn't question it

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I had one for Skyrim on PS3. I was like 100 hours and my last save was inside a cave where you have to go underwater to get out but the game crashed every time you entered water. That was the worst bug that I ever experienced.

A more recent one was the Outer Wilds bug on PS4 that the game would crash when you died and corrupt your save file and you lost all progress. That was super frustrating since I loved the game so much.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Darksiders 2. During the section where you have to go to Earth you had to destroy a bunch of angel corpses or something to open a portal so you could leave. One of the angel corpses was bugged out and didn't count toward my total so I was never able to complete the quest requirement and progress through the game, even after reloading my save. I was just permanently stuck, so I deleted the game and never went back to it.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
It happened to me in Tomb Raider (2013). I was about to go to the last mission, but I decided to collect everything first. At some point, I jumped and went through the floor. I, of course, rebooted, loaded the save, but the game put Lara below the floor, even in another save. Needless to say, I couldn't finish the game.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
The Walking Dead season 1 on XB1 (not sure about PS4) has a bug in episode 4 where you can find yourself in a locked off hallway inside the high school. A cut scene needs to play before the area you need to go to unlocks so you just walk around doing nothing. I had that bug and was stuck until I randomly booted the game up months later and got the cut scene.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
SNK vs Capcom Card Fighter DS had a post game option were you play through the other tower for 100% completion. One floor had a bug that doesn't let you progress the story. Only way to fix this was to mail in your cart and they would mail you a replacement fixing the bug. Not sure if there another way to fix it or if they distributed more carts. I don't think they did.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I feel like I remember a glitch on the last elevator in Persona? It's been a long time though.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Outer Worlds had a bug where the game crashed when you entered a certain door. I found a video though showing that you could bunny hop your way to the same room via other door, so I could bypass the crash.

I ran into this one. It was at the very last part of the game. I tried a bunch of times to get past that door, reloaded many earlier saves, (no one else seemed to have reported it yet) and gave up. I'm glad I had it through GamePass or I would have been more upset. I ended up watching the endings on YouTube, but, of course, they were different from what mine would have been.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I technically finished DBZ Kakarot (done with Buu's arc), but I still have a lot of post game content and I loved it until my save got corrupted somehow and whenever I load it, it always crashes on me with some weird UE4-AT fatal error. Online people say I need to update drivers, change resolutions, verify files/reinstall the game etc but nothing worked for me.
Might just load an earlier save but that will result in me losing hours of progress and it sucks...

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Game breaking bugs in Fallout 3:

- In Point Lookout, if I went anywhere near the center of the map the game would hardlock my XBox 360. I never got to finish that DLC.
- I saved my dad from the VR simulation, but he just never got out of his VR pod.
- I couldn't leave a drainage pipe in the water reclamation center after the Enclave attacked.
- The final boss in Operation Anchorage never spawned.

Other non game breaking bugs:

- In The Pitt, one of the rooftops didn't have collision on it and you would fall through it. The eventually solution I found online was to store all my items in a locker and uninstall Point Lookout, because none of The DLC worked well together.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
The Harvest Moon back to nature black-screen marriage bug makes the game unplayable after marriage

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I don't know if it was a bug or what, but I clearly remember not being able to get past this guy in Ikari Warriors on the NES.

Then I made a new friend and I told him about it, he was like "I am sure you didn't try everything, there must be a way", and we got there Coop, and same thing we could not progress at all. I clearly remember this because it was the sweetest vindication, but still weird!

ifvOTIjM2jQ78tf_AsJPBD2eo15nWuyCgK5Mtj9z4bEoNaNSSDXhR45Vd0EFI9AgLzA0k3TR4_y_pfTARN3DCj48o0OWwyKWAfNKIQOXMOmvVtO4Xr-obhJitDz1

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Not sure if it counts because I eventually was able to find hidden auto-save files that let me load a few minutes before it, but there was a bug in Rise of the Tomb Raider at the end where it's a set-piece where you need to shoot a monster while climbing some tower. The problem was I had ran out of ammo just before that scene triggered so I couldn't kill it. The checkpoint was seconds before this, so there was no way out of it. Major oversight by the developers.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Was playing a game on my switch called Aggelos. I was seriously enjoying the game and plowing through it with gusto and I think genuinely before the last 10% of the game you swap places with a monkey to steal a key from an npc. For the switch version the monkey would not jump, so that was it you were fucking stuck. I tried so hard to google this and there was almost no chatter about it to the point I tweeted at the games official Twitter about it and didn't hear anything until like 2 weeks later they said they were aware of it. From that point on I think it took a solid month of me loading the game randomly couple of times a week hoping it would show a game update notice. Eventually it finally did and I beat the game 30 minutes after getting past the monkey part.

I just had to finish it because I was having so much fun with it up to that point.

WarioFan63

Oct 25, 2017
IL
I played Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow on the Gamecube at first. There's a spot in the game that's designated as like the end point of a level but the game doesn't go on. If I remember right, I think they shipped copies of the game without a fix and later copies had it working. Mine was unfortunately from the first batch, so I borrowed a friend's PS2 copy instead.

SEATLiens

Aug 28, 2019
Seattle
RDR: Undead Nightmare I don't remember the exact bug but I couldn't progress the story any more and didn't want to start over.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Happened to me while playing through kingdom come deliverance. A main quest was bugged and I had to load a file that was about 10 hours behind to fix it. almost quit the game.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Bonus points to the Ar Tonelico 2 bug that would go off in the enemy phase of Round 3 of the Raki fight. Not only would it crash the game WITHOUT FAIL, but the bug was not present in the original Japanese release of the game. Yes, it's a bug that only manifested once NISA got their hands on the game. Oh, it gets worse: the only fix for the problem was to win the fight before then, and the only way to do it besides hacking or playing another region's version was to use a battle system exploit that would allow you to attack almost indefinitely by attacking with both characters and then immediately juggling a reyvateil song back and forth between both backline characters to reset the internal turn counter. It was a game-breaking exploit that made the battle system trivial, and they just told people how to do it on the forums, forums on which so many people were angry about buying an essentially defective game, that NISA staff on the forums (or community managers, who the hell cares) got super toxic in response. If it were possible to recall a video game, that would've been a prime candidate for a recall. They likely missed such an obvious bug in QA because they were running max level characters who could tear through the boss like it was paper in order to make test playthroughs quicker.

In short:
1. NISA releases relatively unfinished localization
2. Localization contains 100% chance of gamebreaking bug not present in JP release
3. Bug is so bad that NISA tells everyone on the forums about a gamebreaking exploit that can be used to get around the gamebreaking bug (and everything else)
4. They refuse to take any kind of responsibility for the clown fiesta that is their release

It's why I haven't bought a NISA game to this day.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Gears 4 - there was a glitch where the chainsaw prompt to progress would not appear. Had to restart the whole level.

Gears 5 - the open world desert level fucked me up twice. First time, a couple missions just wouldn't trigger even though theyre on the map. On a recent separate playthrough, Jack's abilities just disappeared completely and you had to reload the chapter. Read that this was an issue since launch and still not fixed today.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I've had bugged out quest lines in Bethesda games, but fortunately never critical path ones.
At worst it's prevented me from getting certain Trophies.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
Pirates of the Caribbean on Xbox OG crashed and corrupted save files during the final few battles. That really sucked too cause it was a really good game. It actually had nothing to do with movie. It was basically an open world pirate exploration game similar to Sid Miers's Pirates but one a much bigger scale.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I found one in the World Ends With You. It's been years since it happened so I don't remember the exact level, but I got to a new area and immediately killed all of the enemies and saved. The next time I played a got a quest to farm all of the enemies. They didn't respawn and I didn't have another save.

It was annoying, I was loving the game but IIRC I was around ten hours in and didn't feel like starting the whole game over again.