• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
To feed my ever-growing Switch shmup collection I'm on the hunt for a new controller to use (even though I have far too many already). Been strongly considering picking up one of the Retro-Bit Bluetooth Saturn controllers.

41cjCRKBK8L._AC_.jpg

I've heard the Bluetooth models are pretty solid in the input latency department, but I've also been reading a lot of reviews that the d-pads break easily. I'm not really planning on using it for fighting games since I play primarily on stick. I've heard that Retro-Bit has since issued a revision to the D-Pad making it sturdier and for $25 I'm not exactly breaking the bank to pick one up regardless but I'd at least like the controller to last a few years. I do also own an 8BitDo M30 but I can only use it wired on Switch since it's the model intended for the actual Genesis/MD hardware. And while I do like the 8BitDo, I'd like to try the Retro-Bit models as well, so I wanted to see if Era has ever had issues using these (or any other) Retro-Bit products. Any firsthand feedback?

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I have two of these and they work great so far! I don't really use them as much as I thought I would since they don't work on PS4 or Xbox One, but using them on my Switch and Sega Genesis Mini has been really smooth.

Do keep in mind that you'll need the USB receiver if you want to play with the controller on the Sega Genesis Mini. The Switch, fortunately, just uses its Bluetooth tech.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2019
I had an issue with the Saturn 6 button 2.4ghz controller where the controller would run out of charge after a few days regardless of whether I used it or not. I asked their customer service what the issue could be, and they said it's probably a faulty battery, and they said they'd send out a replacement one (which never turned up). Turns out the solution was to put a paper clip in the reset button at the back which is fairly well camoflaged on the transparent version. Controller now keeps a charge instead of constantly being out of juice like it used to be! Guess it was just an issue with the controller not properly putting itself to sleep?

Controller has been great apart from that, though, would definitely recommend.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I'm using the wireless Sega Saturn models. No complaints. I really like them - especially since the Black ones look like real pads w/o the wires.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I'm using the Saturn one on my actual Saturn and I can't really feel the difference between it and the actual first party controller. Also bought a usb Saturn one for PC but haven't used it yet. Saving it for if my Saturn drive dies and I have to start running emulator. But I recommend them.

OP
OP
awake4ages

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
I'm using the Saturn one on my actual Saturn and I can't really feel the difference between it and the actual first party controller. Also bought a usb Saturn one for PC but haven't used it yet. Saving it for if my Saturn drive dies and I have to start running emulator. But I recommend them.

If the drive dies you can always look into an ODE even though they're a bit pricy currently

EmptyGirl

Dec 17, 2020
I love my retro-bit but I can't speak to its longevity considering I've only owned it for a few months. I have the white 2.4ghz model. The Saturn was before my time so I can't tell you how well the dpad compares to the real thing (my understanding is vey well), but it's probably the best dpad I've ever used. How can something be so accurate and so comfortable at once? Miraculous. One thing to note is that because of a quirk in the switch hardware, any controller connected by USB is going to experience an additional 0.5-1 frames of input lag. This extends even to the 2.4ghz model for some reason, I guess because you have to put a USB receiver in the switch? In hindsight I would have purchased the bluetooth model since I use it for shmups, though the difference is only something like 0.7 frames so it's not a huge deal or anything.

OP
OP
awake4ages

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
I love my retro-bit but I can't speak to its longevity considering I've only owned it for a few months. I have the white 2.4ghz model. The Saturn was before my time so I can't tell you how well the dpad compares to the real thing (my understanding is vey well), but it's probably the best dpad I've ever used. How can something be so accurate and so comfortable at once? Miraculous. One thing to note is that because of a quirk in the switch hardware, any controller connected by USB is going to experience an additional 0.5-1 frames of input lag. This extends even to the 2.4ghz model for some reason, I guess because you have to put a USB receiver in the switch? In hindsight I would have purchased the bluetooth model since I use it for shmups, though the difference is only something like 0.7 frames so it's not a huge deal or anything.

I wish they had the white model in bluetooth, it's my favorite looking controller out of the ones available. The clear dark one in OP is a close second though. I think I'm gonna give ordering one a shot.

Bilollipop

Nov 26, 2017
Canada
I have two of the Sega Saturn model controllers. One wireless, one wired for the Saturn. Both had the actuator for the d-pad snap, but Retro-Bit sent me a bag of replacement d-pads and actuators. It takes like <5 minutes with a screwdriver to replace.

OP
OP
awake4ages

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
I have two of the Sega Saturn model controllers. One wireless, one wired for the Saturn. Both had the actuator for the d-pad snap, but Retro-Bit sent me a bag of replacement d-pads and actuators. It takes like <5 minutes with a screwdriver to replace.

That's reassuring, I'll definitely keep this in mind if I encounter any problems.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The D-Pad on my wired USB version broke completely off. I've heard that the Bluetooth models have sturdier pivots, but I haven't bought one to see for myself yet.