• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Have you?

• Yes and I like it

Votes: 56 9.8%
  • Yes and I don't like it

Votes: 15 2.6%
  • No but I'd like to

Votes: 148 25.8%
  • No and I have no interest. I'm happy with stick/pad/keyboard/mixbox/etc.

Votes: 199 34.7%
  • I don't know what this is...

Votes: 155 27.1%

• Total voters

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
I have 3 of these, one from HitBox, one DIY, and one from focus attack.

I like them but I'm still trying to find one that put the nav cluster far from the attack cluster. I don't know why they keep making them so close to each other when the whole is like 14-16" wide

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Stop using your ring finger for left and start using your pinky.
Hmmm...so what do you use for QCB? Ring for down and pinky for back?
Maybe for people that never heard about keyboards.
You can't really customise a keyboard.
You can't really bring a keyboard to a tournament or your friend's house that uses consoles to play.
Bigger buttons
Isolated and spaced out buttons

This is why people prefer them to keyboards.

they are basically a keyboard with better buttons.
Yes

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I've REALLY wanted to try a hitbox for a long while but as someone who is pretty bad at fighting games I don't want to spend that much on something I don't know if I'd like.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I might order one of these before Strive comes out.

I'll need to order a ton of Sanwa quiet buttons to mod in as the clacking of normal buttons is unacceptable in my current living situation, but that's not all that bad. Time to just give into my curiosity. If I don't like it, I still have my Fighting Edge to fall back on.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

I like them but I'm still trying to find one that put the nav cluster far from the attack cluster. I don't know why they keep making them so close to each other when the whole is like 14-16" wide
These exist. The first hitbox panel I got from allfightsticks was like this. The reason they make them close is because you're actually supposed to mainly use your right thumb to jump (I don't, but still settled on the traditional close layout anyway).

iori9999

Dec 8, 2017
I also want to mention that if you use SPD characters for the 360 motion, you are probably going to get better execution out of a pad or stick over a hitbox. That one of the main faults whereas it's as good or better for everything else. Also, classic fighters are more responsive to pads and sticks due to the buffering system over a hitbox.

Oct 25, 2017
First thought - that looks weird.

Second thought - I want to try one.

It seems it would help a lot with specific directional inputs.

I'm in the opposite boat. Seems like directional inputs like a half circle and such would be much harder.
It makes them *extremely* easy. Honestly the hardest part ends up being not doing movements *too fast*.

So like... Somebody walk me through how you'd so a quarter circle motion on this
Middle finger down, index finger down, middle finger up, then punch/kick. Extremely easy, and much easier to do consistently vs stick where you need many hours to avoid hitting accidental diagonals.

The idea is that you are supposed to be able to hit "jump" with either left or right thumb; I'm not really a huge afficianado of fighting games but something something MvC3 "triangle jumps" are supposed to be much much easier when using right thumb.

Shiryu

Sep 6, 2019
Pad is usually good enough these days but I like the aesthetics to it and being able to customize.
The input leniency in recent fighting games allow you to play on whatever controller exist and enter a tournament without a problem lol.

It's just a personal experience these days, a lot of people tried hitbox and it didn't click with them, it has it's own learning curve like any other device and it won't magically make peoples' execution better.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M LOOKING AT!

Thankfully the cannon barrels of the gloriously garish DKC2 one have helped me understand, and I'm now actively intimidated

Anyway, as someone who can't even use WASD, this is not something I envision myself getting to grips with

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Middle for Down. I just remove the ring finger from the equation entirely. Pinky, Middle, Index for everything.
I can see pinky for left working but middle then pinky for QCB feels weird for me.
I might order one of these before Strive comes out.

I'll need to order a ton of Sanwa quiet buttons to mod in as the clacking of normal buttons is unacceptable in my current living situation, but that's not all that bad. Time to just give into my curiosity. If I don't like it, I still have my Fighting Edge to fall back on.
Some advice: Don't use sanwa buttons for the movement buttons. Use something with mechanical keyboard switches instead like the Crown 202 MX or Gamer Finger (never used these ones so can't talk about their quality). Less noise and they just feel better for movement/directional input IMO.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I really, really do not like WASD-style movement in video games, so no, I'm not particularly interested in trying one. I play a lot more shmups on arcade stick than fighting games, and I know that a hitbox/keyboard comes with some advantages for both types of games, but I'm just not interested in getting used to it.

iori9999

Dec 8, 2017
The input leniency in recent fighting games allow you to play on whatever controller exist and enter a tournament without a problem lol.

It's just a personal experience these days, a lot of people tried hitbox and it didn't click with them, it has it's own learning curve like any other device and it won't magically make peoples' execution better.
Also hitbox is notoriously mediocre for classic fighters as I mentioned earlier. Best of all words is a good stick with a Brooks PCB.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I can see pinky for left working but middle then pinky for QCB feels weird for me.

Some advice: Don't use sanwa buttons for the movement buttons. Use something with mechanical keyboard switches instead like the Crown 202 MX or Gamer Finger (never used these ones so can't talk about their quality). Less noise and they just feel better for movement/directional input IMO.

I'll take that tip to heart and give it a shot on first go — I'm familiar with how mechanical switches on keyboards vary from, say, a Sanwa button and that DOES sound enticing. Thanks for the heads up!

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017

The main thing is that the ring and middle fingers are the least independent fingers in the hand so needing to use them both semi-independently is super awkward and uncomfortable (to me). Also, when using the pinky I can keep my hand more relaxed, so it's more comfortable over longer periods of play.

Shiryu

Sep 6, 2019
It makes them *extremely* easy. Honestly the hardest part ends up being not doing movements *too fast*.
Nah this just applies to recent fighting games with their incredibly lenient inputs.

The arcade fighting games still require an accurate button pressing like the old SNK games, it's not easy to execute half circles if you don't place your fingers carefully and make sure to press down-back/down-forward between pressing left and down/down and forward, it requires practice and easy to miss when you are pressing fast.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The main thing is that the ring and middle fingers are the least independent fingers in the hand so needing to use them both semi-independently is super awkward and uncomfortable (to me). Also, when using the pinky I can keep my hand more relaxed, so it's more comfortable over longer periods of play.
I totally get where you're coming from so I'll definitely try it. It might just be a case of getting used to it. Just from trying it with my hand on my desk though, it feels weird because of how short the pinky is compared to the middle finger.

Honestly the hardest part ends up being not doing movements *too fast*.
Very true. I went through KOFXIV's trials and I kept having to tell myself to 'do it slower'.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
I totally get where you're coming from so I'll definitely try it. It might just be a case of getting used to it. Just from trying it with my hand on my desk though, it feels weird because of how short the pinky is compared to the middle finger.

Yeah, the trick there is to relax the hand and curl up your fingers more (hand shaped like you're holding a baseball), rather than having your fingers extended and flatter like how it's shown in the hitbox tutorial vids.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah this just applies to recent fighting games with their incredibly lenient inputs.

The arcade fighting games still require an accurate button pressing like the old SNK games, it's not easy to execute half circles if you don't place your fingers carefully and make sure to press down-back/down-forward between pressing left and down/down and forward, it requires practice and easy to miss when you are pressing fast.
I mean, I literally just fuck around and the games I was trying it with was SF2 and SF Alpha 2, so I guess I'm not sure what counts as recent or modern. I tried some other classic FG's, though I can't specifically remember which, and found no trouble just slapping out the motions in any of em. My issue was that I had to make sure I wasn't... doing it too fast. That I had to make sure I waited to lift up my ring finger before pressing down with my index finger to get the distinct "down" input in.

I don't know if SFA2 is considered "lenient" or what not, but Cammy's Hooligan Combination took like a whole 5 minutes to get down, and again, I really don't like, play fighting games. (I keep telling myself I will, and after being able to do a Hadouken on a Hitbox first try, I thought owning one meant I would :V )

Last edited:

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
This just sounds so wrong to me. I play piano and my natural tendency is to put most of my movement in my ring and middle fingers. Also, when just tapping my fingers on a table, my pinky usually just kind of hangs in the air. The idea that you think everyone is playing this the wrong way leads me to believe you're the one playing it the wrong way, lol.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty certain I'd suck with these because directional inputs are far from being my biggest issue with pure control. I struggle way more with comboing with a lot of buttons as my mind gets tied in knots and I press the wrong thing. Buttons for directions as well would almost be doubling my issues. I don't think I could train my brain for it.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Does a keyboard count? Cause I've been playing on keyboard since my pad died on me.

I hope someday slim hitbox will be more widely available.
Era3PLGUcAY4F5Y

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
This just sounds so wrong to me. I play piano and my natural tendency is to put most of my movement in my ring and middle fingers. Also, when just tapping my fingers on a table, my pinky usually just kind of hangs in the air. The idea that you think everyone is playing this the wrong way leads me to believe you're the one playing it the wrong way, lol.

I liken it more to typing on a computer keyboard and keeping my fingers fingers relaxed on home row moreso than playing piano, to be honest. I will acknowledge that I made a very conscious effort to avoid the "tea pinky" when I was learning bass and guitar, though. I'm more inclined to say most people just don't want to bother stepping their pinky game up.

Furthermore, using ring/middle/finger on a hitbox , you need to keep your fingers spread out and stretched out to some degree due to the size and placement of the buttons. Unlike playing a piano where there are moments of rest or times when you're playing keys fairly close together throughout a passage, when playing a fighting game your fingers will stay on those buttons, in that position, for 99+ (depending on game/timer) seconds straight, per round.

Last edited:

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't, I'm a pad warrior ,but it does seem very neat.

I'd have to spend a month or two relearning the basics on it though.

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
I liken it more to typing on a computer keyboard and keeping my fingers fingers relaxed on home row moreso than playing piano, to be honest. I will acknowledge that I made a very conscious effort to avoid the "tea pinky" when I was learning bass and guitar, though. I'm more inclined to say most people just don't want to bother stepping their pinky game up.
Fair enough. I hate my pinkies and their inability to do what I would like them to do when playing music (or fighting games). :)

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda? I've played on a keyboard mimicking the Hitbox layout (WEF as left, down and right, Space as up, HUIO as top row and NJLK as bottom row). In fact it's the only way I get to be decent at fighting games.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Does a keyboard count? Cause I've been playing on keyboard since my pad died on me.

I hope someday slim hitbox will be more widely available.
Era3PLGUcAY4F5Y

A hitbox is basically a keyboard. You get a standardized number of buttons with a layout thats common to most fighters and remove all the extra ones you dont need, make the buttons bigger and spaced further out and you've got a hitbox. I'd like to probably buy one just for fun. Its nice to change things up and experience someting you've done hundreds of times before in a new way I think.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Furthermore, using ring/middle/finger on a hitbox , you need to keep your fingers spread out and stretched out to some degree due to the size and placement of the buttons. Unlike playing a piano where there are moments of rest or times when you're playing keys fairly close together throughout a passage, when playing a fighting game your fingers will stay on those buttons, in that position, for 99+ (depending on game/timer) seconds straight, per round.
I just tried this and it's not bad at all. Awkward to get used to if you're used to the "normal" way, but I can see the appeal.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
im curious about all kind of controller gimicks, but i cant reason to pay even for an arcade stick.

also: is there a simple way to switch up and down? thats one positioning i dont get...

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
No, but I would like to. When I played Guilty Gear on my laptop, I would stick to the keyboard controls instead of using a controller as I thought it was more comfortable. Having a controller that can replicate that control scheme, and be used on my Xbox would be cool.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
im curious about all kind of controller gimicks, but i cant reason to pay even for an arcade stick.

also: is there a simple way to switch up and down? thats one positioning i dont get...
Think of it just like a keyboard. Bottom key is just like a spacebar for jump button.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I use a mechanical keyboard, I'd give a Hitbox a try if they were a lot closer to the price of like, a regular controller.

Aside from the price I was also never super convinced about the layout of the buttons.

Think of it just like a keyboard. Bottom key is just like a spacebar for jump button.

While I get the logic of that the problem is that I wouldn't use spacebar for jump in a fighting game either.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
I use a mechanical keyboard, I'd give a Hitbox a try if they were a lot closer to the price of like, a regular controller.

Aside from the price I was also never super convinced about the layout of the buttons.

Maybe when SF6 comes out and there's massive fanfare there'll be some mass market arcade stick manufacturer who'll release a 99$ one.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M LOOKING AT!

Thankfully the cannon barrels of the gloriously garish DKC2 one have helped me understand, and I'm now actively intimidated

Anyway, as someone who can't even use WASD, this is not something I envision myself getting to grips with

This is me. I grew up in arcades and in front of consoles. Didn't get into PC gaming until I was in my 20s. I struggle with WASD and this looks like it would just frustrate me even further. It's cool to see people who are good at using it, much in the same way that it's cool to see someone play a piano or guitar. I don't think it's for me though.
That depends...

Not a fan of sliding to be honest though.

This is fucking anarchy.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for the Brooks UFB to get PS5 support to build one. I really can't wait. Hopefully before Strive comes out.

In the mean time, I fooled around with KI with remapped to a keyboard. ASD - Left, Down, Right. Space - Up. Numpad 456, Punches. Numpad 123 for kicks to try it out.

Only curious about how it would work in SC now. 8-way movement will take more to adjust to.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I can understand the concept of why someone would use one, but I personally enjoy--and am used to--joysticks far too much to bother learning how to use a hitbox.

I mean, I know the difference between the feel of a Sanwa JLF, a Seimitsu LS-32, and a few others, and I love them all for different situations. I even like the clicky feel of the old consumer-grade Hori levers (and the current Fighting Stick Mini that inherits their design). I really do get joy out of using them and don't intend to stop now!