• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GeezyAF

Oct 28, 2017
I played Ghost of Tsushima recently. Idk if this counts, but I realized early on that I was tired of open-world games in general and decided that I would only take side-quests from important characters, and I avoided going out of my way to collect stuff/complete checklists. I wish games would stop being open-world just for the sake of being open-world.
After finishing Act 1 recently, I dropped the game. I got my fill after that and I doubt I'll go back to it. Just wanted to see what the hype was about.

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
Assassin's Creed. Which one? Yes.
This. I have played every AC game but the last one I finished must be AC 3. I really liked Odyssey but there is no way I will ever see the credits.

Doesn't help that it's hard for me to ignore side quests or collectibles. I always try to clear a map which usually turns into a slog. The only recent exception is HZD which I really love.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I do this with like every game I play. I can probably count on one hand the number of games I've "beaten" in the last 5 years. I just play until I get tired of it, regardless of how much of the game I've finished. I mean why keep playing something if I've had as much as I want of it lol? I'm playing games for fun, not as a job
100% agreed.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The illusion of being immersed into a world is what keeps me interested. The moment I feel like I'm just playing to trigger flags or boost my stats to unlock some content, and the game's world now feels empty or fake, is usually when I've had my fill.

Deleted member 77553

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Mario 3D All Stars. Finished the story mode for all three games don't see a reason to collect all 120 stars/shines

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Plenty of times. I speculate that I've easily done this more times than I've actually beaten games.

I only rarely ever regret it. I tend to only regret it if the game feels way off from what I expected. If it's what I expected, but still wasn't enough to engage me to the very end, I think that's fine — I still feel like I got what I signed up for, ultimately, even if that didn't end up being the traditional "end-to-end" experience that most people use as their standard of satisfaction.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
After finishing Act 1 recently, I dropped the game. I got my fill after that and I doubt I'll go back to it. Just wanted to see what the hype was about.
I was very close to doing this. I read that it was an easy platinum so I just finished it. But yeah-after Act 1 I was burnt out.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
All the time, I don't let games dictate my time like that. I'm usually a once started, gotta finish person but not with games. Especially with games in fact. I have like 2 platnium trophies and thats it lol. I play until I'm satisfied/credits/give up.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Forza Horizon 3 & 4. I really like those games, but at some point the map becomes just infested with icons and I can't be bothered anymore. I just hate when devs use open world to replace standard menus.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Recently finished Kirby Star Allies, and despite my initial lukewarm first impressions, I really came to like the came, especially with how much character it had and how fun the combat was.

However, despite there being the usual extra modes in a Kirby game, I've decided to stop playing. Not because I think the game is bad or anything (although it being 30 FPS does not help in the slightest), but I feel like I've sort of seen everything the game has to offer in terms of what I can have fun.

Obviously this is probably a common sentiment, but I never really hear people talk about it that much, so I would love to hear from people who have similar stories.
I mean, it's not like you stopped before the credits rolled. Seeing the end sequence is usually when I put a game down too, I rarely have much interest in messing around with a game's other modes and collectibles etc after that. Unless it's a major RPG expansion, which makes me think it's probably a case of 'end credits=main story concluded, time to put it down and reflect' and 'expansion=a sidestep into a new miniseries' for me.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Theoretically, this is how I approach every game. In practice, I often will force myself to finish games if they are short (under 10 hours), and if they are longer it depends entirely on how story/single player focused the game is. However, I am really, really good at giving something a try, and even if I enjoy it a little and think I would play it more, the second I realize it isn't clicking or isn't for me, I just uninstall it and put it on a list of things to maybe come back to on the rainiest of rainy days (ie, hundreds of games deep in my backlog). I rarely play an open world game and give up on it - I either know I am going to like it 10 hours or whatever in and go all the way, or just stop and move on. The only recent exception to that is AC: Odyssey, which I played for maybe 50 hours and had to just stop. I had overdone it early on with sidequests and just didn't enjoy the basic loop enough to finish it, even though I was curious about the story.

Currently, I am kinda close to burning out on Ghost of Tsushima, after playing it very, very off and on since release - never really giving it enough time to make it the main thing I played, but also wasting way too much time on side stuff - I spent almost a full playthrough worth of time on the first area, and was incredibly burned out on it until a week ago when I finally got back into the main story stuff. There are a few character side missions left and then the third territory, but otherwise I forced myself to stop doing side content/? on the map as it was totally burning me out.

I love open world games - I would go so far as to say they are my favorite genre, even with very limited time - but if I don't learn to moderate/avoid/ease up on side content, especially early in those games, it is going to become progressively harder for me to play them.

Man I have so much to say about this topic I might come back for more tomorrow!

Necronomicon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
All Mario Game.
No way I can have the skill or the time to improve my skill to get all the stars/moons/something

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I do, I usually stop when I finish the story, I have so many games to play to plat everyone of them, and I never start new games until I'm done with the current one.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
  • Skyrim (50 hours)
  • AC Odyssey (74 hours)
It mostly happens in large open world RPGs that are fun to play and explore but don't have a riveting plot that's worth seeing through. Witcher series is the only open world RPG(s) I have have finished.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Xenoblade 2 is soooooo, so, so hard for me to continue because by the time you finish Chapter 2, you really have seen everything that that battle system has to offer, despite having 50 more hours of game to go through.

Shame because everything else about the game is great.

I think that's a bit harsh. You won't have unlocked true driver combos (break, topple, launch and smash) and by extension fusion combos (driver combos combined with special attacks) by the end of the second chapter. You don't even get chain attacks until chapter three, either.

There's a lot of reasons to criticise Xenoblade 2 for sure, but I'm not sure rolling out it's mechanics too early is one of them. lol

If anything, it takes too long for everything to come together.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
The one I remember clearly is Black Flag. I've played too much of it and just stopped after a while and didn't get to finish the end game I think. lol

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I do this often with open-world and open-ended games especially. They just never seem to have stories interesting enough to actually finish them, so I usually play them for 20-30 hours and when the loop starts getting repetitive, I just move on.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, I learnt to do this as well. I would always feel like I had to finish a game once I started, but at one point I decided to just stop if I wasn't enjoying a game or I'd had enough, I would stop. I now do it without thinking about it if needed.

Recently I got around 40% through the new Paper Mario and thought that I'd seen enough of what the game had to offer, and whilst I did like it, I decided to call it a day and use my time elsewhere.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I finish 90% of games I start, I only quit when I'm really not having fun. One memorable case was the first Witcher game. There's a point where you have to return to a very unpleasant swamp and I just had it at that point. Recently I also stopped SW Squadrons because of heavy VR nausea and me also getting the gist of the game at about 3 missions in.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Just did this after 2 hours of Far Cry 5. Game was pretty boring and the open world formula basically made me give up immediately, was the first UbiSoft open world game I've played in a few years and just felt like going to bed instead.

nath999

May 7, 2018
90% of the breath of the wild players just stopped playing because "like no way i will get all the koroks" or someting like that xD

742c19a9-94f2-4214-b8f0-df8af5038e3c_text_hi.gif

Jan 10, 2018
Forza Horizon 4 recently. I did all the main events and side activities but stopped when I started the Lego DLC. It seemed like a great DLC but I had grown kind of tired of the game up until that point. Better to save the DLC for another date I thought.

Snozz

Dec 6, 2020
Pretty much any open world game- I usually prefer linear games as they're snappy and to the point. If games meander too much I tend to get tired of it and put it down before the story is over.

That being said, currently playing Genshin impact and getting completely absorbed because of all the BOTW-style explorable stuff so I guess im not that consistent.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I do.

I do also come back to it. I'm not much of a trophy hunter but I do try to gun for the platinum.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Does getting sick of a game count as having my fill? Because I played a bunch of Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity and enjoyed it, but eventually found I grew sick of playing it, and I still had about half way to go.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing. New Horizons was my first and I loved it while it lasted, but once you have built everything there is to build in the island, o really don't see the point of keep playing to get the same pieces of dialogue with the animals every day. Of course you can keep working on your collection, but that is too slow paced for me to want to complete it (I mean, you'd have to keep playing for an entire year at the minimum).

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Eh, mostly games like AC: New Horizons, few fighting games that I try when new season/character drops, GaaS games like Destiny 2 or multiplayer games like Overwatch/Apex Legends. I know what sort of story driven games I'll actually enjoy and I mostly finish those barring rare occasions (Witcher 3), rarely to 100% completion cus most is nonsencial boring padding.

Miya Moto

Jun 4, 2018
Most Ubisoft open world games. I usually drop out at the 35 hour mark purely because at that point i've had my fill and feel like I've experienced everything the game's got to offer.

More recently though probably Genshin Impact.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Recently with Hades after the first escape, liked my time with it but no interest in doing 9 times more.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Last time was Sekiro, just before the final boss. Never even attempted it and I had beten everything else, before dropping it. I watched the fight afterwards via YouTube and Twitch and looks like I didn't miss much.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Literally all the time. When repetition sets in and I don't find it enjoyable anymore I just stop. It does not make any rational sense to behave otherwise. Playing videogames is not an obligation.