• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
I saw 2 murders happen when I lived in Brazil (Sao Paulo). One on the highway when someone shot a driver during a car jacking and the other a security guy outside the mall being stabbed by some kids that fled on a moped.

It certainly changes you... quite a bit.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
My most memorable random was a dude that jumped off a bridge right in front of a car I was a passenger in. It was night and we were on the interstate so it was pretty sudden. Just a flash of a body disappearing under the car in an instant. I thought it was a garbage bag until we got out of the car and realized it was a mangled human. It traumatized my friend that was driving pretty badly even though the coroner assured him the fall killed dude and not the impact with the vehicle.

It's my most memorable because almost two weeks later, my traumatized buddy walked out of the house I lived in in the early hours to find a college student who we'd find out later OD'd, face down and stone cold in our front yard. My friend quit his job and moved out of the state and spent some time getting help. He's kinda better now. He tells me he still has nightmares.

jahepi

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Yes, my grandmother, it was really hard to watch the agonal breathing.
It is really terrifying that a malfunction in your body could cause a sudden death.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Unfortunately, yes. One of my students last year was hit by a car at an intersection right in front of our school while I was out doing morning greetings. A distracted driver went straight through the light. Didn't even slow down.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I am not 100% sure:

When I was a kid, maybe seven years old, my mother and I were driving out of our neighborhood to go grocery shopping. There was a car wreck in front of us. I could see from behind a man sitting still in the driver's side seat of one of the cars, and that his vehicle had clearly been struck on the driver's side door by the other vehicle. An ambulance was pulling up and a cop was positioning his car to block off that side of the road. As my mom maneuvered past the man I was watching fell over on his side, out of sight.

My mother noticed that I saw this and immediately said "he's just in shock". So I don't know if I saw a guy die or merely faint.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I was on holiday in Spain when I was 15. I came out from the hotel and there was a huge crowd with loads of police around. I went to ask people what was going on and there was a guy in the hotel across the road who had stabbed his girlfriend and barricaded himself in the room. A few seconds later he chucked himself off the balcony and well, that was that.

Certainly wasnt what I was expecting to see that day but strangely it didn't cause me any trouble either despite still being fairly young. Another guy actually died in a car crash on our way home when we flew back too just a few cars in front. Dude on a bike overtook at the wrong time. Didnt see the aftermath but apparently he was basically split in two.

Now that I think about it, it was really odd seeing that all happen in such a short time frame

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, strangers and a family member. I used to volunteer at a hospital and helped out in patient transport and blood running.

Nov 26, 2018
Yeah, I was over at a close (at the time) school colleague. His mom was brought home for hospice, and she passed while I was there.

Aaaaaaaand then he referred to my boyfriend (now husband) as "cross breeding" soooo that friendship ended quickly

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
No, but I have seen the immediate aftermath. A guy wrecked his bike while I was on the way to work years back and he was about half a mile in front of me and we all had to swerve to mias him. The guy was face down in the road and his bike was still sliding down the highway sending sparks everywhere. No helmet and he was very obviously dead.

It was the most horrifying thing I've ever seen in real life. I wanted to puke. I think of it everytime I see someone riding without a helmet now. Wear your helmets god damn it.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
I was by my mother's bedside her last few days of consciousness until she passed away.
Still kicking myself I went out of town for business that one day only to return to her being in critical condition.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I saw a relative pass away in the hospital but I can't remember clearly since I was pretty young. I think she'd been out of it for a few days and was lucid for a few minutes and then passed away.

It sounds bad, but harder for me was when I had to get my cat put down a handful of years ago. That was really difficult. He'd been a pretty important part of getting through some rough times as a young adult, when the unconditional love of a pet goes a long way. He was incredibly loving and would always come running when called so he could get petted. He'd been on the decline for a while, becoming more lethargic and starting to eat less, and then one day we noticed he'd not gotten up from the rug he liked to lay on in the bathroom and had been there all day. I remember the absolute dread as I went to go see him, hoping it was just him being lazy. I was able to get him to respond to me a little bit and he crawled closer so I could pet him. Seeing that broke my heart, him struggling to get to me despite actively dying. He was 14 and I was young enough where I had been hoping somehow he would never die. We brought him to the vet and I stood in his vision and and kept petting him in the hope that it would make his passing more peaceful as the vet euthanized him. I think it's one of the few times i've ever broken down in my life.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
This past spring I held my grandmother's hand while she passed after a long period of at home hospice care.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, severe bleeding due to esophageal varices in a patient with liver cancer. Loooooooooooooooooot of blood.
These are some of the worst bleeding cases we get.

I'm a blood banker at a pretty large hospital. Definitely helped take care of a lot of patients that have passed away, though I wasn't there for the moment of passing.

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a firefighter fail to resuscitate a child they brought out from a burning house near my building. I think about it all the time.

Big Special

Nov 7, 2019
Oregon
Saw a man on a bike get hit by a car in a crosswalk. Didn't realize he died until I drove by the spot a few days later and someone had put up a roadside memorial for him. I still feel weird when I drive past it.

Oct 26, 2017
Almost saw a man fall off a cliff once, was siting on the edge taking photos and by the time I went around the trail the ambulances started showing up

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
Just my dogs. I am not looking forward to seeing a family member go, judging by how hard my dogs' deaths hit me.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yeah as a student I was giving CPR to a patient in ICU when they called it. It's strange just how much you become numb to these things. On night shift we have snacks sitting at our desk to keep us going. We had a patient pass away and within minutes we're all sitting there eating like nothing happened.

It's not that we don't care you just become used to it.
Can definitely confirm this, my fiancee worked in a hospital and said the nurses she worked with were used to it to the point it didn't phase them.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the guy plunge into the gigantic fire at Burning Man in 2017, right in front of me. I'm not sure he technically died at that moment, but there was literally no way in hell he was going to survive it, so effectively it was the same. That was my only Burning Man, and it really kind of colored over a lot of the rest of the experience, which sucks.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/43854...aaron-mitchell-first-picture-nevada-festival/

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
My grandmother earlier this year. I went to visit her since I was in town for the week on a work trip. She had a doctor's appointment in the morning and I went with her. After her appointment, we were waiting in the lobby about to leave and she collapsed right there. Apparently she had a sudden cardiac arrest and they couldn't save her with CPR.

Still shakes me up regularly since we were very close.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My best friend for 15 years, almost 50% of my life. I was so sad when the vet put her down. She was the best pussycat I ever had.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, my dad. He was in a hospice for the last 10 days of his life, and we (me, my mum and my brother) were there for 40 hours straight when it became clear that the end was near. It was peaceful as these things can be but I'll always remember the moment.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My brother, he was 27. Fuck cancer.

Another while I was at a Midway fair and a man with a preexisting condition got on a ride he shouldn't have and it killed him.

Finally a car got t-boned by an 18-wheeler when the car turned left into the path of the semi resulting in two young women being killed. Driver survived though.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Twice.

First time was my mum. She suffered with MS from 1994 until her death in 2008. At the end, we were at her bed side when she breathed her last breath. It was the first time I had seen somebody die. As it was mum, it had a huge physiological impact on me. I pretend for years that I was fine, but her death haunted me and still does to this day. This because of the guilt I felt for not telling mum of my dad's betrayal. For this, I'll always have the ghost of my mum haunting me. I'll always remember not how she used to be, but of her struggling to breathe on her death bed.

The second time was just as bad.

My uncle died from cancer in 2011. My Uncle and I were very close. He was more of a father to me than my real dad. He taught me how to swim. Showed me the wonders of the universe with his telescope. Took me places I could only dream of as a kid. But through the years we not only grew apart, but actually grew a dislike for each other.

The reason for this was because of my sister and my uncles adopted daughter. They were, for some reason, jealous of the relationship I had with him and my aunt, so started a campaign of lies to turn us against each other. I can't remember everything, but things like telling me my uncle was xenophobic and thought my Polish (then GF) was only here for the money. They told him stuff as well that I had said which were lies, and we just ended up not speaking for years. There was loads more, but I'd be here all day typing it.

When he was on his death bed, my sister called me. She told me that he was asking for me. At that time I hated the man. I told her I wouldn't be coming and reminded her of all the things he said and did. That's when she told me. It was all a lie. All a campaign to turn myself and my uncle against each other. I was broken.

I went to the house and didn't find the man I once knew. My uncle was a big guy, but the man in the bed was stick thin and white. He was losing his ability to speak and struggling to breathe. I don't know what was happening, but I remember white liquid pouring from his nose and mouth as he was trying to breathe. I cried at his bed side and apologsed for all those wasted years. I don't know if he knew of my sisters campaign of hatred. I never told him. Another ghost to haunt me.

So yeah, two people and both had a serious impact. Not speaking about it at the time and putting it all to the back of my mind is the reason I had a breakdown years later. I'm now on the mend and have started to be more open, which is why I've posted all this above. Rather than letting it play on my mind, I find speaking (or typing) helps to clear the air.

Whoever reads all of the above, thank you for your time.

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
My dad, less then 7 months ago. Very sudden and unforeseen.

Needless to say, it fucking sucked.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Except a dog and two cats thankfully no.
Two were my pets which we put down, and the other was a stray ran over by a car.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I saw my grandma die when I was a toddler. I remember it well although I didnt really understand what had happened at the time. I had to step out of the room and tell my mother that grandma had fallen over and was sleeping, but she had in-fact given her last breath.

Ive also watched my one my uncles die over a long period of time as his health deteriorated, but I wasn't there at the end.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Live or video? I've seen plenty on Ogrish back in the day. Live, I think I saw someone murdered on the street when I was 5 or 6. Crowd gathered and saw someone get hacked.

Liethe

Nov 19, 2017
I watched my mother die. She had a protracted battle with breast cancer and when treatments were no longer effective she made the choice to live out her remaining days at home with her family. I will say it is a supremely weird thing watching a life end.
wow, this is kind of weird, same exact thing happened with me except it was my mom's mom, my grandma. but yeah, breast cancer, wanting to live the remainder at home... I was in the room with my mom when she passed. I remember it being scary but I was rather young.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. To keep most of the details to myself: three close family members (father, mother, and eldest brother), a few strangers and a work colleague. Each one was horrible and I wish I didn't see them. One thing I'll always be angry about is how people are denied the right to euthanasia in my country. Instead, they have to die slowly in agony for no good reason because of ignorance and superstition. I have faces to that unnecessary pain that haunt me. Fuck anyone who opposes that right.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Whoever reads all of the above, thank you for your time.
I just wanted to let you know that I read this, and I heard you. As someone who's been estranged from their father for more than 20 years (justifiably in my case, I hope) the idea of watching someone who used to be a big part of your life, and then wasn't, die is... I don't know, palpable, I guess is the word.

As for the rest of the topic, I've never seen anyone actually die - as in the specific moment - but I've found two grandparents dead, both shortly after the fact. My wife used to be a children's nurse in intensive care, and sometimes she'd come home and just want to sit in an empty room by herself for a while. Sometimes she told me why; sometimes she didn't. I could never have done her job.