• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well?

• Yea

Votes: 927 68.6%
  • No

Votes: 424 31.4%

• Total voters

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
2 odd years. Spent so long raiding in the early hours of the morning before Uni/work because my guild was mostly American. Took so long to get the best gear, then politics got involved, the Burning Crusade came out, I stabbed a pig that dropped a ring better than the ring I spent so much time trying to out-roll and setup raids for that I just gawked, uninstalled, buried my disks and screamed into my pillow for a good hour.

Never again.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I have been playing wow since closed beta and will continue to play until i am either dead or the game is dead. It's comfort food to me and even it's worst expansions i enjoy. Since classic came out i don't play as much retail though.

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Is curiosity not the basis and main motivator of one's desire to learn and understand? There is already meaningful discussion taking place in this thread.

I'm not against the thread mind you. I'm just stating the reason why some would think this thread will be closed, as most of us have seen threads closed for having similar opening posts. Don't matter what intentions you may have had or how vital they are. Should at least say why the data and information is vital to you for more engagement. But hey that's just me. Plus pretty sure this question has been asked a lot before in this same way.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Played from launch of SSC/TK and was subbed continuously until Cataclysm. Then I just played each expansion for a few months at a time. The current expansion is the first time I never bought it.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Was full blown addicted, so much so that I'd just go to bed early on the night of weekly maintenance so that I could start playing again sooner the next morning.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I started playing in vanilla, raided a bit, same with TBC, then WotLK was the only expansion where I got into serious raiding and I actually finished all the raids as a DK tank. Been playing on and off since then, spent most time in Legion since I absolutely loved the class and fanservice focus in this expansion and I was tired of raiding (every guild I joined disbanded not long after I joined). BFA and Shadowlands I only hit max level and played around a bit. It's become too much of a chore to play and the community sucks.
Last time I checked I had around a year of /played time across my characters.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
No, and definitely don't intend to ever start. I know some people who do though, and they're really deep into it.

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
Yep! I was there from day one (lol in the sense that I technically had a subscription; no one really played on day one) and played through Wrath of the Lich King, took a bit of time off, came back for Cataclysm, quit. I didn't quit in any particularly dramatic fashion, I just got tapped out. Probably put in thousands of hours overall. No regrets, but I tried Classic and it didn't stick for more than a month.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, yes.
Did random character, started at some woods and went to first house.
Uninstalled.

Oct 25, 2017
Never.
Never really had an interest in multiplayer games.
Led to some frustrating times when it was all my friends would talk about.
I ended up playing FFXI and XIV despite this though, cause I'm a huge FF fan.
I doubt I'll ever give a non FF MMO the time of day though.

Nov 3, 2017
I kid you not, I first played WOW as a university project together with 7 other doctoral candidates and a linguistics professor who wrote to Blizzard and got us all gametime cards and copies of the game. We played it and developed articles about a variety of topics (that never were published).

The professor and one of the ethnologists became super addicted and played long after the project was shelved, haha.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
No, I just watched my roommate getting sucked up by it.
Managed to avoided Online RPGs mostly except a dip into Monster Hunter Tri.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
A little bit way back when there was only vanilla. Didn't really like it, so I dropped it after just a few hours.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yep, played a bit of the original, some BC, a ton of WOTLK, some cataclysm and only a few of mists.

My favorite memories have to come from WOTLK - Northrend was fantastic to explore and I think the peak of WoW honestly.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I played from early 2014 to 2016. So late patch MoP to beginning of Legion. It was a special game. The world truly felt vast and like it had secrets to uncover. To this day, the WoW style and music influences my artwork.

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
Nope.

I was such a huge warcraft 3 fan, played 3v3 random for years then got lost in footmen frenzy for a few years too.

All i wanted was war4, but it never happened. I just refuses to play wow. It just didn't appeal to me at all so i waited then got addicted af to call of duty… so yeah…. Lol

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've played it a handful of times in the early days but I never really got into it personally.

My brother played it at launch after coming from Ultima Online, then he gave his account to my dad who still plays it to this day (he's 76 now), and moved back to the classic version.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and loved it. Way more casual nowadays, mostly just collecting pets, mounts and toys while doing the odd mythic+ to keep the level slowly ticking over, but still enjoy it. My only regret is I'll never experience that WoW 1.0 -> WOTLK period again, just magical.

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, on and off since release.

Bailed for good after reaching endgame in Cataclysm, was just done with the game at that time.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Yeah tried to get into it a couple times but fantasy and traditional MMO gameplay (at least in actual MMOs) just isn't for me.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Since early 2005, on and off (but mostly on). About 11,000 hours played across all characters. I am not playing right now... probably going to come back during the final content patch for Shadowlands.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I just have no interest in MMOs. I've tried FF14 a couple of times as I really want to experience the story but I just don't like the gameplay and I have no interest in multiplayer interactions.

ChronoMonarch

Apr 22, 2019
Everywhere At All Times
I played it a lot at launch, then I went into on/off mode with it as the expansions came out. When Burning Crusades released, I really played the most then, and then back to on/off mode. Finally when Battle for Azeroth released, I came back to it in a somewhat part/full time, and with Shadowlands, I'd like to play it more, just need to subscribe... which is something I've gotten lazy with at this stage of life. Too much hussle bussle to get into subscription based MMOs for me nowadays. Maybe one day in near future I'll bother myself to subscribe! Hopefully before the next expansion or whatever.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Stopped myself playing after Lich King. My life went downhill with this game consuming everything.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
No. I played other (most likely, shittier) MMOs. Those MMOs were free to play also (read as "pay to win"), unlike WoW.

I was late to WoW and by the time I tried it, the game looked fucking ugly, I thought. 😅 Besides, I was a kid back then and probably wouldn't have been able to consistently pay for the subscription.

Oct 27, 2017
For a few years spanning the Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King expansions.

Quitting wasn't an incremental process. I played it religiously then one day I was just done. Trashed my gear, put my gold in the guild bank, and bought a PS3. Never looked back.

ravelordnito

Unshakable Resolve
May 17, 2021
Yes, and I was fortunate enough to experience WoW for the first time ever during Classic WoW launch. I was a kid during the OG 2004 launch and when I got into online gaming (around 2011-12) my potato PC couldn't run the game, so I kinda shrugged it off. I had no idea that pservers were a thing so I never got into those. WoW for me was like the expensive toy I couldn't have until much later. Around May 2019 I stumbled upon an article about Blizz launching Classic servers and I quickly became hyped. So hyped that I downloaded and played the WC3 campaigns and that was it, I was sold. The world, the lore, I was fascinated by it.

Classic launched and I can safely say that no other online experience will ever top this one for me (at least the leveling phase). Discovering all the zones, the music, the quests, dungeons, interacting with other players, it was the definitive MMO experience. I completely postponed all my other gaming plans. After all these years, it was here in front of me, I was playing WoW for the first time. However, once I reached level 60 and joined a guild, the true face of the game was shown to me. I got mixed feelings about the endgame content (also because this was my first time reaching endgame in any MMO). Raiding is fun and challenging. The amount of prep work and coordination that goes into boss fights is top notch. I got really motivated at the start to actually learn the fights and the deep game mechanics. Although after some time it does really feel like a job. Logging on at a raid night when you don't feel like playing the game sucks. With each passing week I had less and less desire to play WoW and this issue coupled with raid scheduling totally killed my relationship with the game.

I remember feeling anxious while playing other games because 2 hours playing anything other than WoW could be 2 hours farming/pugging raids/rep/anything. The whole guild dynamic, loot priority, fighting for a raid spot, minmaxing and etc made the game feel nothing like it did during my first leveling hours. This made me a bit sad on the inside, not gonna lie. I took the decision to quit the game last month because of it. There is no point in playing a game if you don't feel like it, at least for me. Maybe someday I'll come back to it, level a character to max level and then quit again, idk. I think the endgame thing is not for me.

I would love to play TBC and eventually WOTLK, but I don't think I can manage WoW + other games + life. I'm interested in trying out FFXIV mainly for the story as I'm slowly making my way though the FF franchise, but I will def take a much more casual approach.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, maybe for a month or two. Right after Burning Crusade launched. I regret it. It's not WoW per se, MMOs are just not for me.