• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Thankfully it's never happened to me, but friend who had an early plasma screen TV which were notorious for this problem, he was so proud of it, until he eventually burnt the HUD from Halo permanently into the screen.

Another friend had burned the GTA San Andreas mini map onto his screen, he was so proud initially of his 50 inch plasma this thing cost at least a couple of grand and was also the main family TV. Needless to say his parents were not impressed and he was not allowed yo hook up consoles except in his bedroom ever again.

I'm always careful that whenever I pause my games, TV, whatever not to leave it on that static image just in case.

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
Not for me personally, but I remember the library CRT at my highschool had a shitty DOS based search program burnt into the screen. Kinda stuck with me and I have always been careful of it!

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No! But my vita had the ghosting problem which sucked hard.
I'm glad that oleds became better but I can't wait to have micro leds

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
I've owned a plasma and now a Sony OLED and have never had any burn-in issues, even after some serious gaming time. The only precaution I take is to turn the screen off if I need to leave any content paused for more than a minute.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Never permanently, but that's more because until this year I'd never had a panel type that could actually permanently burn in(ignoring stuff when I was young enough to not remember anyway :P). I remember having an old LCD which would burn in UI's for a good few months before it faded if I played the game long enough... I had the FFXIII map burned in for quite some time. The entire Dragon Age Origins UI burned in for quite some time... Pretty sure there was a few other games as well before I finally got annoyed enough that I bought a new TV.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
My first plasma I had the ESPN ticker burnt in a little, I eventually got it out by white washing the screen for a few days off and on.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
When my plasma was out for repair they loaned me an older plasma. I played Monster world 4 on it and the hud stuff got burned in a little. No idea if it was permanent, but when I gave it back I could still see it.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Burnt the destiny HUD into my plasma. Havnt had any issues with my oled yet. My cell phone has all kinds of burn in. That part really sucks. People say they can use oleds for pc monitors but I would be incredibly weary of that after seeing my phone keyboard and chrome browser icons permanently burned into my screen.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Burnt the destiny HUD into my plasma. Havnt had any issues with my oled yet. My cell phone has all kinds of burn in. That part really sucks. People say they can use oleds for pc monitors but I would be incredibly weary of that after seeing my phone keyboard and chrome browser icons permanently burned into my screen.
Phone OLED screens are different tech than TV Oled panels. I got burn in on my note 8, yet I have a B7 with 10,000 hours as a PC monitor and it's clean still.

Oct 28, 2017
I've had my bookmarks icon bar burned into a monitor in the past, so it's something I'm super conscious of as I now use my OLED TV as a secondary monitor.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I had a 55" Panasonic plasma that got some GTAV HUD elements lightly burned in. I kinda hated that TV. The burn-in threat is what will keep me from going OLED on my next set (that, and the fact that my living room is bright as hell).

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The Skyrim compass was burned into my old Plasma. My GF will occasionally leave my current LED tv on while on a menu, which causes some temporary burn-in but luckily that doesn't stick around.

ctc43f

Aug 1, 2020
The outline arrows from Dance Dance Revolution on an old TV I used for nothing but that.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I had a GTA mini map burned into an old plasma. It was really noticeable to me, and it's the thing keeping me from committing to getting an oled

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
only ever used LCD's other than my Vita, and I didn't use my Vita much.

Another thread suggests 20% of era OLED owner's have had burn-in at some point

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Nope never, and I owned a plasma for almost 9 years up until the beginning of this year.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, but my old PSP 2000 got burn-in after playing Metal Gear Acid. Those screens had a lot of issues.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Nope, and other than my PC monitor I've almost exclusively used CRT, Plasma and OLED displays. I really hope to get a ~30" OLED PC monitor at some point too.

kratos2412

Nov 3, 2018
Germany
Think i burned in my LG B7 by playing FIFA Ultimate Team. I can almost see the shadows of my whole sarting line-up .

These cards are golden and very bright. Spent too much time editing my team

Edit: maybe I exaggerated a little, but yeah its still visible

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Never. Modern LCD panels seem to be very resilient to burning. I've seen reversible burns happen on a very old projector (had tens of thousands of hours of use), but on new-enough displays it seems to be a non-issue unless you keep the same image like for hundreds of hours straight maybe, something which shouldn't happen in regular use cases.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Never from games. The first LCD monitor I ever had did exhibit some burn-in from a stock charting widget and some static icons at the top of the screen (Linux).

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I had many phones with OLED screen and never had nur in...

My c9 OLED TV ist just 2 month old...still likqqqhsgdh

I had an old LG plasma TV which had the destiny 1 HUD burned in....was pretty noticeble