• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I am currently playing Splatterhouse (2010) on the 360 and this thought just came to my mind.

The game has absurd story, pretty bad framerate, textures are irregular (some are good, some are really bad), the animations are rough, the controls feel clunky... Those things alone would probably you make you want to stay as far as possible from a videogame, but you know what? I am enjoying it because for me it is like watching a B series movie. You know what to expect from it: you get what you want so you are happy with it. I am loving the funny and excessive gore, the "horror" atmosphere that in fact makes me chuckle, the 2D segments, the weird mechanics... All of it contributes to create a non very good game, but with something special in it. Also, the addition of the classic games is a very cool detail too.

Have you ever think something similar about a videogame?

Tell us about it!

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean objectively? Pepsi Man isnt much of a game. It's a bit unfair and janky. But it wins in pure charm. And thirst quencing.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
I love A LOT of shitty games, because the "so bad it's good" category is in fact one of the best in gaming, just like movies. In my local FGC tourneys I had much more fun with Million Knights Vermillion than Tekken, heh.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Devil May Cry 2- All of you shit on this game but i love it because it was the first DMC that i truly mastered, all difficulties, Highest ranks on the missions etc.

This is the top of mind that i have, i'm sure there are more.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Fallout 4, Whenever I play it now, if I do play I only settlement build and play with mods to do with that, since first hearing about the never leave sanctuary challenge I've completely changed how I approach the game to basically now I'm just playing sim city or something in Fallout 4

So while I think it's a bad game I love the way I play it

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
good and bad are states of mind

if you get what you want out of a game, or the game imparts a memory that you look back on fondly, then that makes it good regardless of whether or not it's technically polished or whatever

it's part of why terms like "kusoge" or "eurojank" are often used with a fondness rather than a pejorative

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
Like Swery's entire career

oof, but, yes.

but also, as Garrod_Ran mentioned, its absolutely a "state of mind". a lot of games i love can be probably considered "not objectively good", but as long as i enjoyed my time with it and remember it fondly, that makes it a good game in my book.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
I am currently playing Splatterhouse (2010) on the 360 and this thought just came to my mind.

The game has absurd story, pretty bad framerate, textures are irregular (some are good, some are really bad), the animations are rough, the controls feel clunky... Those things alone would probably you make you want to stay as far as possible from a videogame, but you know what? I am enjoying it because for me it is like watching a B series movie. You know what to expect from it: you get what you want so you are happy with it. I am loving the funny and excessive gore, the "horror" atmosphere that in fact makes me chuckle, the 2D segments, the weird mechanics... All of it contributes to create a non very good game, but with something special in it. Also, the addition of the classic games is a very cool detail too.

Have you ever think something similar about a videogame?

Tell us about it!

That is how I feel about Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. Great writing but janky as fuck and very unfinished starting around Chinatown. I wish I could play the game it could have been. Hopefully its sequel is better.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
QFuUh4W.jpg

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I can dump 6 hours into No Man's Sky at a time and hate it the entire time. I'd say I love the game, though it's complicated. It's so close to checking all the boxes for me, but every check mark is like 2 inches from being in the box.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Cruis'n USA for N64. I was super pumped up for the N64 for the 2-3 years before launch, and was obsessed with anything N64 related. Whenever Killer Instinct and Cruis'n USA hit arcades with the promo screens about "coming to your home in 1995 only on Ultra 64", I was in love. The N64 version finally came out and it was so hard for me to find, since I had to look around every store in town. I finally got it, rushed home, put it in my N64 and....oh no, this is trash. But I psychologically couldn't afford to realize I waited all this time for this shit and managed to convince myself I loved it

Deleted member 26909

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I recognize that Dirge of Cerberus has a lot of flaws, and feel them as I play. But I still enjoy it because it scratches this small itch and its so satisfying.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I loved all Mega Drive and Saturn games I had. From Robo Pit to Chuck Rock. You take what you get.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Very much disagree with the narrative that Swery's output is all "so bad they're good" games.
Spy Fiction, Deadly Premonition, D4 and The Missing are games filled with a huge amount of redeeming charm, love and unique content that's absent from the rest of the medium. The content people like about Swery's works are not unintentional things, they're usually fully intentional and deliberate elements of his games.

Last edited:

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Not really. And this isn't to dog on anyone else's approach, but I can't say I objectively enjoy a game if I genuinely feel it's bad.

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017
Did someone say "Too Human"? Please let me talk about Too Human! I basically turn into Stan S. Stanman whenever I see an opportunity to express my excitement about this game. :)

giphy.gif

I had a great time with it, especially in its multiplayer mode. Farming for good item sets and trying your new builds on the high difficulties was fun and terrifying alike, I remember it being insanely punishing.

Unfortunately, for most people this was just a boring or outright terrible game, so naturally barely anyone cared when Silikon Knights was ordered to stop selling it and to destroy all unsold copies.

Mr. Dyack, I don't know what made you mess up your career so badly, but you've been onto something back then and I truly hope for a successor to this game.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Adventure.

The camera is criminally horrid, the voice acting is bad, the story is silly even considering it's Sonic, gameplay of everyone outside of the core trio sucks, and even Knuckles and Tails are iffy, it was a fucking Dreamcast game, the list goes on.....

I fucking love that game, bruh.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Anthem comes to mind, it was just so much fun flying around And raining death upon my enemies.

also really like battleborn the pve stuff reminded me of strikes from destiny. Played the shit out of them.

Last edited:

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I don't enjoy bad video games because I have a refined palate

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I personally don't think games that are filled with jank are necessarily bad, but they'll be reviewed as bad due to the jank. There are plenty of games like that I like such as:

18738-hidden-invasion-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg
89148-chaos-legion-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

Chaos Legion didn't review as bad as Hidden Invasion so not sure if it exactly counts.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Sonic '06 is objectively a bad game. The story is wild and poorly done, the game barely works as intended and you almost spend more time watching load screens than you do playing it. But goddamn I love that game. I beat every single campaign and had a blast even when the game didn't work because I was laughing at the absurdity of the glitches.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
So I'm embarrassed about this and I'm not joking. Last year I bought a few super cheap games on a PS sale. One was called Gnomes Garden. It's pretty much the simplest point and quick little time challenge game ever. I beat it and the four other games in the series numerous times.

I have a backlog of games that I know will be awesome. Yet I often find myself coming back to the series even though I can beat each in maybe three hours and it has pretty much no challenge at this point (and minimal ever). I just like zoning out and listening to Spotify and I often play something much better but then find myself coming back to beat them again as I find it relaxing.

These aren't great games by any means and seem like something my life would enjoy who likes pretty much just casual experiences.

Seriously it's a problem!

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Castlevania 64/Legacy of Darkness are only mediocre at best but I love them for their atmosphere and visual design. It also did a lot of things that later games would pick up on, like its weird pseudo Character Action combat and lock-on mechanics.

Overall these games are truly wonderful trash.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Castlevania 64/Legacy of Darkness are only mediocre at best but I love them for their atmosphere and visual design. It also did a lot of things that later games would pick up on, like it's weird pseudo Character Action combat and lock-on mechanics.

Overall these games are truly wonderful trash.
I have a soft spot for the first game, there were enough hooks in there to make you want to push through despite its flaws.

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, love it to death because or the variety, Collectability, charm, and depth.

Most people go against the graphics, segmented maps, and "clunky" controls. None of which effects me.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Whose Your Daddy? is a pretty bad game in terms of controls, graphics, animation, sound, physics, and stability, but it's also very fun.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
NieR is one of my favorite games of all time and even back in 2010 it had very obvious flaws, despite becoming GOTD. It's the very definition of an unpolished gem.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
As a kid I knew Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi and Evil Dead: Hail to the King were not good games, but I loved them anyway. In both cases because of the license.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't call the Neptunia games objectively bad (well, apart from the first one) but I love them a really disproportionate amount. A few years back I was in a really bad place and I literally spent a whole day playing one of the games on my Vita in bed and I can't stress enough how much that game helped me.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Just look at my avatar lol

The Witch and the Hundred Knight.

Went and brought it for both PS3 and PS4.

Even brought the poopy sequel.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Depths of Fear: Knossos is pretty bad. The game's so dark you can barely see 2 ft in front of you a lot of the time, combat is clunky and there are a ton of bugs but something about it really appeals to me regardless.

I guess we just don't get enough greek mythology horror games with moody synth soundtracks.

Oct 26, 2017
Not really. If I think a game is "objectively" bad or just, well, bad, I don't see how I'd like it. If you like something, then I don't think you consider it objectively bad, just perhaps not exactly high art or a masterpiece

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I love Steambot Chronicles / Bumpy Trot. It tries to do so much (mech combat! music / rhythm game! ...stock market sim?) and it's honestly not great at any of those things, but it has so much heart that it doesn't matter.

Dec 15, 2017
I was addicted to crack...down 3last year. Way more fun than what it was supposed to be according to gaming connosieurs.

Once you gain better mobility collecting I could not help but complete the game even 100% twice

Pat

Oct 27, 2017
Crackdown 3 would be the most recent for me. I loved the campaign and finished it within two days, thanks Game Pass. The game "objectively" sucks but I had a pretty good time with it.

Aug 13, 2019
FFXV is basically an incomplete game with half baked ideas. It's also one of my favorite games this gen.

The Dynasty Warriors games are mindless, repetitive, hack-n-slash fun. Absolutely no challenge and the story ain't great. I know it's bad, but I love it anyway. (Except 9. 9 is the worst.)