• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which genre have you fallen out of love with?

• Japanese Role Playing Games (JRPG)

Votes: 98 28.0%
  • First-person shooters (FPS)

Votes: 59 16.9%
  • Fighting

Votes: 49 14.0%
  • Real-time strategy (RTS)

Votes: 37 10.6%
  • Racing

Votes: 32 9.1%
  • Open world adventures

Votes: 25 7.1%
  • Other/this is not an issue for me (drop a comment!)

Votes: 50 14.3%

• Total voters

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
JRPGs. Seriously, what the fuck happened to this genre? Was it just the advancement in tech that turned this genre into an icky, pandering mess that relies more on fan service than gameplay?

anecdotally, i blame voice acting.

I have no problem replaying chrono trigger, FF6 - 9 but games with cringey VO makes the anime-esque soap opera even more cringey.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Definitely racing games because I find the genre lack any substantive purpose within the campaign modes. Also sports — specifically FIFA / PES.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
- Fighting games: They kept piling on so many complexities and systems over systems and complexities it's like they increasingly made those games to appeal only to the very hardcore fans instead of your average Joe.

- JRPGs: Why did they all turn into fanservice anime garbage?

- RTS: Haven't liked any of them since StarCraft 2. Kinda gave up after a while.

- Open world: I haven't lost *complete* interest, because I'm hoping the next GTA will turn out good, but boy have most developers failed at making them not feel like repetitive chores.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For people who said JRPGs, is there anything that would make you like them again? Is it just that the ones being made don't interest you or is it total dislike of the genre? Asking as someone who makes indie JRPGs that are generally bite-sized (longest one is about 14 hours, but most are in the single digits).

For me, I'd probably say Point & Click adventure games (loved them as a teenager, but other than Ace Attorney, I barely touch them these days) & 4x strategy games (was a huge Civilization fan, but bounced off the latest one and none of the other series I've tried have really grabbed me). Also MOBAs (was a huge LoL fan, but I was getting too competitive, plus there's so much toxicity in the fanbase) & to a lesser extent RTS (liked the Warcraft series, especially 3, but nothing outside that has really grabbed me).

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I was an FPS nut as a teenager but I just find it too repetitive now. It also doesn't help that genuinely great FPS campaigns are so rare these days.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
was thinking Stardock and Blizzard. Sega is more turn-based these days.
LotV was 4 years ago though - and it was an expansion pack. That's not that common at all.

Stardock is vaguely more common, only 3 years ago, but stuff like Ashes more like...hmmm...real time grand strategy than something classic close-in macro/micro like Starcraft/C&C/Warcraft/etc etc.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Another vote for JRPG. Turn based fighting got old to me, by the time there were other options, I just grew tired of RPG in general.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I used to love RTS when I was younger, and at some point I started to get overwhelmed by those games and stopped playing them altogether.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
I've said no, but it's true that it's been a while since i've play a fighting game.
But anyway my taste are like a rollercoaster and i need to change style of game from time to time.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
I go through periods of time where I get bored of a certain genre, but I just take a break. Eventually I'll end up playing that genre again and enjoy it. So nothing was ever permanent.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
Tie between MMOs and JRPGs.

MMOs - Played EQ1 & 2 across 10 years of my life and just got tired of the BS surrounding them (especially the toxic MMO communities). Also, that's a monthly payment that could otherwise be going toward something more useful.

JRPGs (meaning the more traditional JRPG) - I think the paradigm shift that Western RPGs offered enticed me more so I switched and just never went back. Although I have dipped my toe into Disgaea and Ultra Sun (if Pokemon counts as a JRPG) recently.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
For people who said JRPGs, is there anything that would make you like them again? Is it just that the ones being made don't interest you or is it total dislike of the genre? Asking as someone who makes indie JRPGs that are generally bite-sized (longest one is about 14 hours, but most are in the single digits).
-Fast intros and non-craptacular pacing
-Enough of this recent trend of "control one character and AI controls the rest of the party" stuff. If that *needs* to be there, the combat system better be real involved and the AI control needs to be, bare minimum, FFXII caliber.
-[Side]quests need to not be terrible. MMO quests were phased out of MMOs years ago for a reason.
-More reactivity in the battle system. More spell interactions, more attack combinations, more chemistry systems.
-More to do outside of the battle system, and I don't need just quests. Minigames(FF7), puzzles(Golden Sun 2), wacky item crafting and pickpocketing stuff (Star Ocean 2) - stuff to do to make the game seem more than just a big map with monsters on it being broken up by having a bad story being yelled at the player.
-Battle system needs to expand more beyond "now do more damage"; the enemies should similarly ramp up their own tactics.
-Open worlds, for the love of god.
-Substantial secrets, side stuff and endgame stuff. I mean secret continents, tournaments to enter, multiple dungeons, a dozen or more hidden bosses (and not just stuffed away in some "coliseum").

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Racing games

But I'm not sure whether it's me or the games.

When I was a kid, it was easily one of my favourite genres. The likes of Outrun and Chase HQ were my favourite arcade games. I had an absolute blast playing GT3 on PS2, and PGR2 on Xbox. But in adulthood I drive 50,000 miles per year and clearly the magic of driving in a game simply isn't going to be there like it was when I was a kid.

I really want to enjoy the likes of more serious sims like GT Sport or the less serious stuff like FH4 but struggle. MK8D didn't do much for me either.

However, I was recently lucky enough to play KartRider Drift at X019 and it was genuinely the most fun I've had with a racing game in years and years. Which means that perhaps there's life in the genre for me yet. Can't wait for the beta in a couple of weeks.

But sure I don't have any real interest in the genre like I used to, and it makes me sad. We need blue sky arcade racing games. I wish Suzuki was doing that instead of wasting his time with Shenmue.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yes, in my HS and college days I was hooked on RTS's. Starcraft, Warcraft, Red Alert, etc were my addiction. It's been a few years since I last played a RTS.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Oh yeah, JRPGs for me, too. I think Final Fantasy 12 was the last one I finished when it was new. I started Persona 4, but holy shit, that three hour intro just burned me out.

Haven't really touched one since. Everything looks like the same anime horseshit these days, anyway.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sort of. One of my most played genres when I was younger was fighting games. When I was at school etc all my friends and I would literally devote countless hours to fighters, both at home and when we'd hang out socially.

These days however, I barely play them. The only time I do is when we want a quick party or multiplayer game to play whilst people are around, but even then I tend to gravitate more towards things like Cooking Mama, DRIVECLUB (lap times), Gran Turismo Sport (with the wheel) or Mario Kart.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
-Fast intros and non-craptacular pacing
-Enough of this recent trend of "control one character and AI controls the rest of the party" stuff. If that *needs* to be there, the combat system better be real involved and the AI control needs to be, bare minimum, FFXII caliber.
-More reactivity in the battle system. More spell interactions, more attack combinations, more chemistry systems.
-Battle system needs to expand more beyond "now do more damage"; the enemies should similarly ramp up their own tactics.

I feel like our games are strong on these points.

-[Side]quests need to not be terrible. MMO quests were phased out of MMOs years ago for a reason.
-More to do outside of the battle system, and I don't need just quests. Minigames(FF7), puzzles(Golden Sun 2), wacky item crafting and pickpocketing stuff (Star Ocean 2) - stuff to do to make the game seem more than just a big map with monsters on it being broken up by having a bad story being yelled at the player.
-Open worlds, for the love of god.
-Substantial secrets, side stuff and endgame stuff. I mean secret continents, tournaments to enter, multiple dungeons, a dozen or more hidden bosses (and not just stuffed away in some "coliseum").

I feel I can definitely work more on these.

Thanks for the response!

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
4x games. After 100+ hours with civ 5, and 200+ with 6, every run started to feel like a variation of the same 3 early, mid and late games

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, can't get into a JRPG since FFXIII ruined the FF franchise and seemingly the whole genre for me.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Used to love racing games. I poured so much time in to GT3 A-Spec back in the day. Flash forward to now, and i can't remember the last time i played a racing game for more than an hour total that isn't called Mario Kart.

Runner Up: JRPGS. The melodrama I thought was high art as a teenager is just annoying as I approach 40.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
RTS games, it was basically my first genre to play when I got a PC back in '02, played the hell out of Age of Empires back then....but now, I hardly manage to play an RTS game for more than 5 minutes before uninstalling, just isn't interesting to me anymore...

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i loved stealth games in my teens-early 20s.

But now, for whatever reason. In my old age....i can't tolerate them. I hate it in Horizon. I tried to play MGS 5 ground zeroes, because i want to start MGS 5 (since i loved 2/3/4) couldn't stomach it.

I can take like pseudo stealth in Ubisoft games. Thats about it

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
LotV was 4 years ago though - and it was an expansion pack. That's not that common at all.

Stardock is vaguely more common, only 3 years ago, but stuff like Ashes more like...hmmm...real time grand strategy than something classic close-in macro/micro like Starcraft/C&C/Warcraft/etc etc.

Yeah, but now we have stuff like SpellForce 3, War Party, Ancestors: Legacy and Homework: Deserts of Kharak; and even more on the horizon like Iron Harvest, Age of Empires 4 and Homeworld 3

Not to mention all the remakes/remasters of classics like Cossacks, Age of Empires, WarCraft III and Command&Conquer.

RTS genre may not be "booming" right now, but it's certainly in a renaissance state.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i used to play FPS games like there was no tomorrow. i still play some (Doom) and excited for Cyberpunk. but as far as games like Battlefield/CoD go...nope.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I don't play nearly as many shooters or racing games as I used to. Shooters have gotten very samey and most racing games are trash except forza and gran turismo. And they are loosing their luster because they give you too much money and too many cars from the start, there's no actual progression.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
JRPGs... I was very into them in the late 90s and the newest one I played was Final Fantasy IX

Point'n Click adventure games. I used to play these a lot in the eary to mid 90s. Loved the Lucasfilms/Lucasarts games but by the time Grim Fandango came out, I was done.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
PC RPGs. Man, I really want to be able to get into them again. I adored BG2 and stuff, but it's hard to just sit down and focus on them anymore.

And I have absolutely no energy for MMOs.

My answer too, was a big PC RPG gamer at the time of Baldurst Gate and before, Might and Magic series, Drakan, Realm of the Five Elemental, Ultima series, etc. But not anymore there 3 thing i don't like anymore, long dialog, level scaling and missable stuff and most of WRPG right now use that all the time... so i usualy avoid them.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely JRPGs the last one I truly even enjoyed was Lost Oddysey on 360 way back in the day. WRPGs simply offered way more for me and completely overtook my interest where i don't even bat and eye at a JPRG anymore. FFVII Remake is pretty much the only one i'm fucking with this entire console generation.

Fighting games are also a genre that i'm considering dropping for good with companies cutting characters and charging for them later and releasing unfinished products to resell DLC and relying on shitty guest characters, not to mention 3D fighters being my favorite are now succumbing to what i hate about 2D fighters and including shitty meters, supers, and comeback mechanics in a attempt to appeal to scrubs and casuals. The complete disappearance of the VF series is a crime because the direction other 3d fighters went just isn't for me and only a modern VF without all the bullshit gimmicks will get me back into the genre.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
It hasn't happened yet but I'm increasingly just getting tired of open world games and all the busywork dressed up as content. It's just meaningless fluff that ultimately doesn't add anything substantial to the experience.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
MOBAs
I used to play a TON of DOTA1 and also a lot of LoL.
Now I can't stand the idea of even spending a single second in one haha

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Point & Click Adventures. Loved them as a kid but I think Sam & Max was the last one I truly loved.
I am also kinda burned on turn-based Strategy RPGs. They often feel too slow for me. But I still play them occasionally.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Atleast combat-QoL wise, Jrpgs nowadays are infinitely superior to the ones from the "golden era", in a general sense. People disliking the genre nowadays probably has to do more with the form rather than the content itself, right?

Cheap anime voice acting and overall creepyness are probably the number one motives. Unfortunately, stuff like Chrono Trigger or Xenogears would be at the same level of fanservice of a Xenoblade 2 if they were released nowadays, so maybe the hardware limitations at the time were essential for the genre broader popularity in the 90s.

Thread: There's no genre i lost interest completely nowadays, but i don't play a RTS since like 5+ years, but it's more because i'm too lazy to engage in super complex systems than lack of interest.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019
Lootgrinder.

I played a lot of Diablo 2
I enjoyed Diablo 3 a lot

But then hit the point where I thought to myself: "Why am I doing this? Am I really enjoying this meaninless grind?"
And then I stopped and haven't touched a game of the genre since.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
MMORPGS. For a long while it was the only genre I played since I had no money and most of them were F2P. Nowadays I just don't have the dedication to sink my life into one game so I've largely dropped off the genre. Still love FFXIV but between the sub fee being almost $20 CAD and the amount of time investment required I'm not likely to ever play it again.

Still love RPGS and JRPGS though. I avoid the overly fanservicey ones as much as possible now and can still find enjoyment in the genre. There's plenty of older ones I still haven't played and modern ones like Dragon Quest are still good.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Fighting, racing and sports games were never among my favorite type of game to play (although NCAA was a go to), but I've barely played any of those sorts of games in the last ten years.

I think it's a combination of being hard to get into because of the competitive scene (I don't have the time or desire to "dedicate" myself to a single game/franchise or genre) and because those types of games rarely if ever have a story that will get me invested.

I think platformers are immune because there is nobody to compete against, so even though many don't have much of a story I can still enjoy the pure gameyness of it.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Not really, but I do play less FPS games now than I did before. Cod just doesnt interest me anymore, and outside of some exceptions there isnt a lot out there thats interesting. At least Halo and Titanfall are still there.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Western open world nonrpgs. Games where you are dropped in a giant space and go wherever. Skyrim comes to mind, i know it has quests but they are so damn basic i just feel bored.

Only Zelda gets a pass on this one and i can not replay it. Its a game with 0 replay value

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
FPSes; I went right off them around the time of Halo - played through that, really didn't enjoy it all that much.

I've swung back around, I think in part it was due to the overwhelming quantity of games in the genre in the late nineties and early noughts, and in part due to me not being good at finding an appropriate difficulty level to be an enjoyable challenge, both of which are less of an issue these days.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
JRPG's I guess. Played a lot more of those in my teenage years. That said I still play some but I'm more picky about my purchases.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
used to love fighting games as a kid, but not love that anymore

i still play it casually though, usually play it for the story (single player), the last 2 fighting games that i played were Dead or Alive 5 and Mortal Kombat X, i bought both of them at really cheap price $5 or something

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't been able to play a JRPG in a long, long time. I think I might be done with the genre, outside of numbered Final Fantasy games.