• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which genre have you fallen out of love with?

• Japanese Role Playing Games (JRPG)

Votes: 98 28.0%
  • First-person shooters (FPS)

Votes: 59 16.9%
  • Fighting

Votes: 49 14.0%
  • Real-time strategy (RTS)

Votes: 37 10.6%
  • Racing

Votes: 32 9.1%
  • Open world adventures

Votes: 25 7.1%
  • Other/this is not an issue for me (drop a comment!)

Votes: 50 14.3%

• Total voters

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
So here I am about 25 hours into the critically acclaimed (and Tim Rogers approved) Dragon Quest XI-S: Echoes of An Elusive Age - Definitive Edition. While I started the game so excited to get my first taste of the series, I feel like this adventure kinda fell off for me where I ended the generous demo after the town of Hotto.

Now this seems to me to be about one of the most polished and ambitious JRPGs I've played. It also obviates staples of traditional JRPGs that I detest (random battles, no EXP for party members who aren't in the battles), which is certainly a major point in its favor. However, I think I may just be done with the genre!

I grew up with traditional JRPGs and have continued to enjoy them over the years (played through FFVII for the first time this year, enjoyed the flawed Octopath Traveler last year, countless other examples). At this point though I'm not sure if a quintessential example of the genre can offer me anything.

Has anyone here had the experience of falling out of love not just with a series but with an entire genre?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly no, never.

Dragon Quest is an incredibly standard JRPG and maybe that's why you are bored? Games that do things different can be way more exciting than a perfect example of the standards of the genre.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
JRPG's for me to. I grew up on final fantasy and dragon quest. I remember being so hyped for versus 13 when they first showed it off as such. Heck i was a huge kingdom hearts fan too. I picked both of them up once they finally came out and i just couldn't bring myself to finishing either or, i'm actually debating buying final fantasy again on stadia just to see if it motivates me enough to keep playing it if i have access to it wherever i am.

Part of me feels sad for not enjoying these games anymore, they were a big part of my childhood growing up but the time commitment feels like to much now

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
RTS. It was probably my second-most played genre when I was younger after FPS. Warcraft, Starcraft, Tiberian Sun, Red Alert, Empire Earth, Age of Mythology....played a lot of em.

Haven't _really_ invested time in one since SC2 came out.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
First person shooters. I used to buy a lot of the larger releases. Nowadays I pretty much never touch the genre, especially multiplayer focused ones.

Though, I will play some of the more exceptional releases like Titanfall 2 or the new Wolfenstein games.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think JRPGs for me too. Pokémon is the only one I can manage to complete.

I loved DQXIS story, the setting, characters and exploration. But after the demo rhe combat, having to fight monsters was just so boring.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
While DQXI is certainly an example of a polished JRPG, it is far too steeped in tradition. This is not a knock on DQXI (I put 80 hours into it and beat the final boss in the end game) but it can be a bit bland because of its reliance on tradition. Perhaps that is what you are feeling? There are JRPGs out there that take more risk and feel more modern.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I played so much Starcraft 2 that I no longer care about the genre whatsoever >.<

Struggling to come up with a single RTS announcement that would make me even a tiny bit interested... Maybe Age of Mythology, just because I have a ton of nostalgia for that?

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Fighting games, when i was kid i was a huge fan of SF 2 and KOF. Untill the Dreamcast era where i started to lose interest.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
On the 360 I played a bunch of FPS and multiplayer, but nowadays I have next to no interest and have crawled back into my Nintendo hole for the most part (I dabble in other systems/games still though, just not as many).

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
FPS. It used to be my favorite genre from the late 90's to the mid 2000's, but now I have nearly zero interest in them.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Racing games. I still have some fun with them but I no longer keep up to date or seek new entries in old favourites such as Need For Speed, Ridge Racer, Gran Turismo, PGR etc.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
Not a genre but I lost complete interest in the 2k basket series. Haven't bought it years. I use to But there day 1 always. At one point I was a top 5 college 2k player. Their focus changed to micro transactions and my player bs I just couldn't get down with that.

Oct 27, 2017
Open world.

I've always envisioned what something would be like as an open world and now it just bores me.

But it can't be too tight and scripted either.

I think Dark Souls did that to me. And the Last of Us. But mostly DS. I want a world, but it doesn't need to be so vast with enemy forts and hunting societies and underground loot caves etc etc bloat.

Jul 8, 2019
RTS and Grand Strategy games. Save for Men Of War which has "boots on the ground" feeling gameplay as it's selling point. I like FPS more than ever, which can be a part of it.

Oct 27, 2017
I've lost a lot of interest in racing games recently. I think it's partly because there are no big budget arcade racers anymore except Need for Speed and Forza Horizon. I loved playing games like Project Gotham or Split/Second and those games don't really exist these days.

Oct 25, 2017
It's taken me years to come to terms with this, but this might be me with 4X strategy.

This used to be the most important genre on PC to me by far, and I sank into just about everything and played it in every which way, but nothing since Civ4 has given me the same hit as Civ4. Part of it is that the whole Civ5 era (including expansions and Beyond Earth) was a quantity-over-quality exercise that was immense for casual players but ran out of systems depth pretty quickly due to core flaws in the design. I enjoyed the games, but I wasn't in love with them. But outside of that series I explored some of the alternatives on offer—Endless Space and Legend, Age of Wonders, GalCiv, and so on—and sure, I'd click through them compulsively and pass the hours and tell myself "one more turn", and there would be some interesting ideas in there, but nothing that persuaded me these were worth replaying over and over for different factions or strategic approaches.

Civ6 wasn't bad, and I mean to go back to it to catch up on the expansions, but I've come to understand that the genre and I have largely parted ways and that I'm much likelier to get the builder kick out of engineering games like Factorio and Oxygen Not Included, whereas I know some other old 4X obsessives have gravitated to Paradox grand strategy instead. Something about 4X just feels like going through the motions these days, and I'm not the only one who has noticed it. I went back to the Civ4-era remake of Colonization last year and it was remarkable how much better that felt than most recent titles, and it was practically just a paid official mod. I think I would have been content to just stay on Civ4 or SMAC indefinitely, even if modern improvements in certain systems (mainly UI, but also changes to how things like borders are handled) make them feel a little dated and hard to go back to nowadays. I don't feel like I was ever done with those games, whereas I definitely hit a point with Civ5 or the Endless games alarmingly early where I felt like I'd seen everything there was to see, but I have so much else to play these days that I can't make the time to revisit them.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
MMOs and most JRPGs. While I was happy to burn away the hours when I was younger, now I dread the sort of timesink those games can create.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Shooters

While I don't know if I'd classify them as a "genre" or not, I'm very quickly losing interest in open world stuff too. I'll still play them, but shorter experiences are a lot more appealing to me now.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Hollow Knight. Haven't really enjoyed a Metroidvania that doesn't try anything crazy since.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fighting game. I used to play lots of SF2, Tekken and MvC, but nowadays I am just not excited to play fighting games longer than 15 mins

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I don't care for first person shooters

I think it's because I'm not a KBM player anymore

Was super into them back in the day

I also used to play fighters at the arcade but just don't care at home

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
JRPGs to an extent when they were banished to the handheld realm, but it's been coming back this gen a bit. But I haven't been gripped by one in a long time in the way I did in the PSX/PS2 era.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Basically musou games, used to spent +100 on each game I play, but right now they bore me to death

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Fighting games and Racing. I used to love racing, but now if it isn't Mario Kart or Forza I don't care.

I really don't care for the souls and souls-like games anymore. There have been too many in such a short amount of time.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
RTS for sure. Blizzard killed my interest in the genre for good with Starcraft 2. Just feels like tedious busywork these days.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Same, although much of this has to do with my inability to have consistent partners to play against regularly offline. Back in the early through late 90s, not only would I practically live in the arcade, I also met a friend that I took from not being able to do much more than the basic moves, to being one of the best in our area. We would play 3-4 hours a day 4-7 days a week, so I had a lot of motivation to improve (I had to, or else the student would overtake the master!). When the arcades died, all I had prior to 2008 for the most part were my friends that had always played fighting games with me, but as people started moving away, those friends became fewer and far between.

When SS2T HDR arrived, I thought it being online would maybe make it a lot easier for me to get some real competition again, yet the internet being the internet made that experience pretty awful compared to playing locally. I tried again when Street Fighter IV arrived and things were only slightly better, but still frustrating, especially with one-frame link combos. Losing itself didn't bother me, but losing to things outside of my control did. So I ended up just playing a while with one of my old friends who didn't live too far away. In 2011 there was somewhat of a renaissance in the area and for about two years there would be weekly fighting game events (MvC3, SFIV and Tekken), but my enthusiasm was waning by that point. I still did not have the motivation I had in the 90s due to not having someone to play with daily, and no arcade scene. Still, played a lot of SFIV, but then when SFV arrived, I played it for a few months and then just entirely lost interest.

I still play stuff like X-Men vs Street Fighter, MvC2 and SFIV casually, but only when a friend of mine (not the one who ever became good, despite him thinking he's above average) decides he wants "practice"...which then just ends up being a 35 - 2 set, in my favor.

Also sick to death of first-person shooters, but I have been since the early 00s. This is primarily because I already had my fill on them in the 90s, and barely anything has changed aside from graphics and some level designs (not always for the better though).

Add RTS too I guess. Haven't seriously played one since SC2 was released.

Any type of RPG for me, used to love them all. Now I can't finish shit

Like any of them, or more of the open-world persuasion?

Open world.

I've always envisioned what something would be like as an open world and now it just bores me.

But it can't be too tight and scripted either.

I think Dark Souls did that to me. And the Last of Us. But mostly DS. I want a world, but it doesn't need to be so vast with enemy forts and hunting societies and underground loot caves etc etc bloat.

I haven't played a single open-world game that I truly enjoyed (It's not really a genre though is it?). I think Skyrim and to a lesser extent Oblivion were great to traverse through, but then that's all they were really good at. They would set up the exploration, but then there was no payoff. My dream game would be something that had a world as large as a TES game, yet had legitimate Action/Adventure combat in the vein of a Capcom or FROM game and where the places you traveled to were actually interesting to explore. The closest thing we ended up with so far was Dragon's Dogma, but about the only thing it did well was the combat and animations. Here's hoping that Elden Ring ends up being the first to do open-world right.

Last edited:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I guess I was never a huge fan but JRPGs are really not for me. I don't find the stories or characters good, and they offer little beyond that IMO.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The hard thing nowadays is finding quality games within certain genres that fit my tastes. Or desiring games and projects from certain developers who have moved onto sequels to their other properties I don't care about, or some projects are in limbo. Or games that have no announcement that I've been itching a solid sequel too.

My tastes haven't changed. They are just waiting for the right game.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
PC RPGs. Man, I really want to be able to get into them again. I adored BG2 and stuff, but it's hard to just sit down and focus on them anymore.

And I have absolutely no energy for MMOs.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Online gaming just in general for me. I put a lot of time into it at the beginning of the generation but the experiences just weren't there for me from the games I was playing.

I did a huge amount of online multiplayer during the PS3 and 360, but now have transitioned to being ~90% single player gaming. I let my online subs lapse, and only bother to renew for a couple months if a particular new release catches my eye.

The genres this impacted the most were first person shooters and fighting games for me. I still love the genres when there are good single player experiences like with the DOOM revival and Smash Bros. Else I've mostly fallen off of them.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Fighting and american sports games. I just cant get into them at all anymore.

Applesaucejaxon

Uncle actually worked at Nintendo
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Fighting games were life for me from SNES - PS2.
I bought a Dreamcast back in 99 specifically to be my fighting game system.
Last gen, I played a little Street Fighter 4. I haven't played any fighting games this gen, and I have zero desire to do so.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Fighting games were my one true love back in the 90s and early 00s. I haven't played one since Super Street Fighter IV was all the rage.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Open World games.
I just can't anymore. I know I don't like them but I always let myself get caught up in the hype.

I'm hoping Days Gone was the last mistake I make with open world titles.
Though I have The Outer Worlds on my PSN cart right now, so, yeah

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fighting games. And 95% of car games.

My taste in genres has slimmed down to only a few, and I'm ok with that.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
First person shooter, especially PVP. Golden Eye, and Timesplitters 1 and 2 were my favorite. Now I can't even get interested in Destiny 2 to give it another shot because it's FPS. If it was third person like Warframe and Anthem I'd be all over it.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fighting games. The genre got stuck with the same franchises, over and over again. SF, MK, Tekken, SC, KOF, DOA, VF, MvsC, GG, etc.. There's almost nothing new today for it.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Not really a genre I guess, but I've heavily fallen off of online games. I'm not a fan of the direction a lot of them have taken, mostly stuff with a lot of progression, daily challenges, or just RPG-like elements in general.