• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like going from Windows 7 to 8. Things that took me 15 seconds to do now take me 15 minutes. I don't know where things are. Where to go? What to do? I mean, what is this

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I made a very quick mockup of how the thread list would look without avatars and with more subdued colours. I just want something clean and easy to read.
VNaSzWR.png
I would prefer they just go back to small dots and no icon of any kind, and nothing on mobile. It's a huge water of space and quite frankly ugly.

Current purple is fine to me, I used NightEra and had no issue with the more vibrant purple everyone apparently for cancer from. So this more subdued one for 2.0 is more than acceptable.

I'm sure this has been asked, but is there any way to switch to just usernames and thread titles without avatars? I appreciate all of the hard work, but the new design is very busy.

Yeah this so far is my single biggest and real issue with the new design. It looks real tacky, especially when your Avatar is then overlayed onto theirs because you've replied to that thread.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't see unused space on the sides?
Are you on mobile? Reddit did this too with their redesign, it's made for mobile but on desktop there was a ton of unused space on the sides, they implemented some different themes for desktop to get rid of it. Especially when you're using a widescreen monitor, it's def not optimal with everything being crunched into a pillar in the middle of the screen.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CSS: "Yo, you can use me to do a design for multiple devices! Isn't that cool!"

The Internet, circa 2018: " Ha ha fuck you we'll make designs solely for phones now, enjoy your awkward UI and wasted space on desktop"

Reddit's one of the biggest examples of this annoying trend.

Everyone just wants to look like the Dreamhost control panel.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just switched to basic HTML gmail as the redesign is so bad.

Anyways, 4chan's removal of frames is the only one I can think of.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I have never once liked a site redesign, especially this one. George R.R. Martin will finish the next Game of Thrones book before this post actually loads and gets posted.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like ERA's 2.0 change. However the biggest annoyance at the moment is how slow the website is since the change. Nobody likes slow.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I usually don't care, but this is pretty bad. So much space wasted. So much more scrolling. Extra clicks on mobile to get where you need to go...

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
The post and view counts are so needlessly subtle, it looks pretty but whyyy

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Really? Are you on desktop or a mobile?

I mean this:

yY8KLHj.jpg

I'm not zoomed out or anything and that's like 1/3 of the screen spent on nothing, maybe I'm just not seeing the option to widen the threads/forums. EDIT: Ok, found the toggle. Strange that it's not ON by default.
Please let me know if you find a fix for this!

Edit: There is a button on the bottom left of the site to toggle width!

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
I don't like a bunch of tabs and use very few functions.
Of all the new forum designs, I have to say NeoGAF is the best, although I think there's a lot of toxicity in that community and rarely visit it.

Oct 27, 2017
CSS: "Yo, you can use me to do a design for multiple devices! Isn't that cool!"

The Internet, circa 2018: " Ha ha fuck you we'll make designs solely for phones now, enjoy your awkward UI and wasted space on desktop"

Reddit's one of the biggest examples of this annoying trend.

Everyone just wants to look like the Dreamhost control panel.
When something like 60+% of traffic is mobile, you put your resources where they are needed. Sadly, desktop usage is dying because the majority of Web users are simple consumers.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think the redesign is great. A lot of times site redesigns take some getting used to but I'm already used to this. Just a streamlined version of what we had before.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like a bunch of tabs and use very few functions.
Of all the new forum designs, I have to say NeoGAF is the best, although I think there's a lot of toxicity in that community and rarely visit it.
I think you need to check NeoGAF again mate.

They also updated their design which is almost like this one.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
It's actively harder to search, scroll, read, etc. with this new design. I hate it but I know I'll get used to it.

I also have despised IGN's layout with every update they've ever made. Kotaku is another.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
On the topic of redesigns. I quite like the new Giantbomb one but that's also another one that uses space very poorly. There's massive gaps between each carousel of content on the main page that looks quite ugly. It also makes the page look very empty in a weird way. But in terms of functionality, finally designing their site around video content when that's their primary output has been long needed.

Please let me know if you find a fix for this!

Edit: There is a button on the bottom left of the site to toggle width!
Thanks for this!
Yeah, MrCinos you want this li'l guy on the bottom left. All the way down, on top of the massive Resetera Clear banner.
zjLqSiq.png

Edit: woops, saw you edited your post about it. Sorry for the alert! :)

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This one isn't bad, but it still suffers from Web 2.0/3.0 wasted space (empty space vertically between posts, for example, meaning less posts visible per screen while you are scrolling).
This is the biggest offender to me. Why did this become thing? It's such a poor design decision and part of many, many websites.

Last edited:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who says they've "never" liked a redesign is either lying or I suppose just admitting they don't like change even if it's better. If you never liked a redesign then you're saying you prefer the old Angelfire/Geocities style of the internet.

Ok, so I suppose some of you may actually like that.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
It's a case by case basis for me. So far I like this redesign overall, but I don't like the persistent sidebar on the left that seems to reset its state every time I change page. I also miss the bottom ribbon for navigation after hitting the bottom of a page. Sure the sidebar has the same functionality, but then I'm giving up a large portion of horizontal screen space for this same functionality. Extra clicks to open image sources also sucks.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The modern web sucks, and almost everything is so incredibly overdesigned by bad designers.

Good design takes a lot of work and thought. Websites need to be thought about holistically but also every single tiny detail should be scrutinized down to the pixel. Era has always felt slapdash. I know the people who run this site work hard and spend a lot of time on it, but it still feels very inconsistent.

I am sure I'll get used to it over time, but it's not just "I don't like things that are different." It's actively worse than the previous version, which was worse than the version before that.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Same with you until I maximised the window. You need to fill up your screen to see it.
Ohh, that's weird. At word I'm a laptop at 1366x768 and a second screen 1080 monitor. Maximized on the laptop screen, no button and no excess space on sides, on second screen though tons of wasted space and width button shows up and works thankfully.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, this site is disgusting now, and the ad thing is gross.
I'm out, probably won't be posting much.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Going from greyGAF to whiteGAF was a travesty, but when they added the dark theme (or I found out there was one, but I think it was a later addition) I was sold. White theme was garbage until the end, tho.

I still liked the logo more with italics.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Too many redesigns look the same, this design has too many things on it, and it's sorta overwhelming to look at. It's also damn laggy af, both network wise and actually using the site.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
The first era redesign was pretty bad, especially that awful purple color, but I like this I've a bunch even using the light theme oh mobile for the first time.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind this as much as the last redesign on the dark theme. Thank you for fixing the purple. My issues with it so far are:

- I don't like having avatars visible on the topic list. I don't need that information.
- The "watched" eyeball, poll icon, etc. are really crammed in there on mobile.
- The big colorful topic title on each thread seems overly big and out of place.
- I don't get why every single post gets its own box. It's distracting.
- Lots of superfluous reactive design decisions like animations, etc.

Basically my takeaway is "Nice effort, but too much."

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It's usually

-Oh man, I love change and freshness! -> Aw man, I'm not digging this, the other old was was perfect! -> I like it now.

Case in point. The Giant Bomb Redesign, I didn't like the redesign that came after the achievement system, then I loved it and now with the newest one I don't like at all because so much wasted space with weird carousels instead of a neat grid/list and the design lost it's personality and it's too sterile for a personality based site. But I'm sure it will be fine tuned as time goes on and I will like it again.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of times it's just bad design. They hide features under more layers or make it more confusing. I like Giant Bombs new design. It's easy to use and sleek without being too trendy.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, plenty, but the important thing for me is to always to give it a few days to get comfortable with a design and then see how I feel.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Pretty sure I've never liked a site redesign. Including the buggy one we're living in right now. :|

/grumpy post

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Yep they usually mess up so much of what you love to add new features that are generally pointless to you and make everything worse.

The only improvement I've found with this is that finally typing on my android phone keyboard doesn't have massive issues like the old site had.

And that's it. Everything else is worse. The site looks dated, harder to read, looks kinda crap if I'm honest. Please just go back to my classic dark era look and feel. Add back the main forum links. Add back the refresh page, remove similar threads and the big colourful banner at the top of everything.. add back a one step notification tab on mobile on my phone (I notice it's like the old site on my iPad but on my phone I need to enter the hamburger menu, press another button and then finally can click on a notification).

Urgh. Sorry guys I'm sure it took a lot of work but you've made this site WAY less appealing to me to look at and navigate. Like seriously I'm not gonna be on here as much you've ruined it so much.