• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I presume the game's "sightseeing" is good enough and the story itself is not really the main draw for that to be too big of an issue if I just run everything through a Google Translate app then?
Yeah, the game's a delightful love letter to Tokusatsu.

Most of the narrative is told fairly visually anyway, so in broad strokes you won't be especially lost as to what's going on.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Personally I don't think the game is bad at all, but Sonic Unleashed could qualify. The day stages are so great. Generations is good as well but I don't think it topped the thrill of Unleashed's stages.

May 16, 2018
A few years ago, I got Digimon World: Next Order and the game itself is pretty much just Busywork and Stat Sheet management, but boy did I and my friend enjoy it. It's largely to do with the fact that it's digimon, but a no frills digimon game that was being overly verbose like the Story game was perfect for me at that point and my life. It's easily one of my favorite games that I can't really recommend to anyone, haha.

The desert theme kinda slapped, too.

I couldn't agree more. I was a big fan of the first one when I was a kid (despite not knowing what the hell was going on) and the nostalgia carries Next Order for me.

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
For me this is Graveyard Keeper - the thread. I must have put 100 hours into that game, maybe more.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Every goddamn Suda game. I think the guy's my favorite video game "auteur" at this point but I can't really say the games he makes are especially "good" at being games. Killer7 is a work of fucking art but it's also got a boss there you need to hit the exact pixel of a brain at the right frame of an animation.

Dec 20, 2017
Yeah I played all the way through Greedfall lol. I enjoyed it even though I don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone. Miss those bioware days.

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Demon Gaze on the vita. I'm gay so I am not at all the target audience of a booby Etrian Odyssey knockoff with a style of anime I usually absolutely loath, but I had a surprisingly great time with it.

maxresdefault.jpg

large.jpg

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
A few years ago, I got Digimon World: Next Order and the game itself is pretty much just Busywork and Stat Sheet management, but boy did I and my friend enjoy it. It's largely to do with the fact that it's digimon, but a no frills digimon game that was being overly verbose like the Story game was perfect for me at that point and my life. It's easily one of my favorite games that I can't really recommend to anyone, haha.

The desert theme kinda slapped, too.

This game isn't bad, you enjoyed it because it's good.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Evil Genius. Broken, repetitive, mechanics that were easy to game. Still put a few hundred hours in it and can't wait for the sequel.

KrebStar

Oct 28, 2017
I love this stupid game despite its many flaws. The permadeath system and the way Jason patrolled the map made it feel pretty tense, and I appreciated the openness of it all once I actually figured out what the hell I needed to do to.

zC0O56s.jpg

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Advent Rising when I was younger. Shame they never continued the trilogy and further polished the mechanics.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Anthem. I still believe that there's a gem buried under there somewhere, and I'll be there day one, if they manage to sort out all the issues.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Every goddamn Suda game. I think the guy's my favorite video game "auteur" at this point but I can't really say the games he makes are especially "good" at being games. Killer7 is a work of fucking art but it's also got a boss there you need to hit the exact pixel of a brain at the right frame of an animation.

Hey, you take that back. Suda's games are great games.

That said, Flower, Sun, and Rain I legitimately love. I played it during the earlier days of lockdown here and it felt almost like a mini vacation, just exploring the island listening to some nice relaxing tunes and meeting people.

That said, the gameplay is more cerebral and I can understand why other people might not like it even if they're wrong and have bad taste.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Crackdown 3. Hunting for orbs, trying to climb as high as possible, platforming challenges like the propaganda towers, using the wingsuit were all fantastic.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
I play musou games because they are the only thing like musou games.

None are great games, most have loads of performance problems, cloning characters, asset reuse. But where else am I gonna get my fix?

Tidalwaves

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic 06 plays like the adventure games. It's fine. Those were also riddled with glitches, you just cared less then, and cared more later when egoraptor told you to. It's subjectively fun. The load time is the worst part. Don't @ me. Yes I've played it recently.

Edit: I personally have been most frustrated with loop de loops throwing me into death for no reason in Sonic Heroes and Adventure than anything 06 has thrown at me in the 4 times I've played it.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Nier was, for a very long time, "that inexplicable pile of shit with a bad fishing minigame that you had to play like fifty times to complete the story," but I loved it the minute it booted up.

A lot of people owe Yoko Taro an apology.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I enjoyed Assassins Creed 3 because I liked playing a Native American assassin in colonial America. I hated the 8 hour tutorial, but once I got through that I actually kinda liked the rest of the game.

I liked Sonic Lost World a lot. It's probably my favorite 3D sonic after Colors. I thought it nailed the movement in a lot of good ways despite some obtuse level design and horrible bosses

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
There is terrible series of games called Dino Crisis, I enjoy them because they have dinosaurs but that's the only good thing they have going for them

:P

My real answer is dungeon dice monsters on gba. All in all DDM isn't a particularly well balanced or thought out game, but it's a lot of fun and the gba game is the best way to experience it since the irl game got such little support.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
Fighting Force? I know people consider it average or mediocre, but I seemed to have found enjoyment in its coop mode back in the day, very short but arcadey.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
DK64. I enjoyed the different mechanics of each simian. I liked that there was so much to do and collect. I liked the scale of the game and loved the music. I thought the arcade game inside the game was neat.

Years later I learned how much people really hated this game

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Yes, Terminator Resistance is my AA GOTY from last year.

The game retakes the concept from Future Shock and Skynet, from Bethesda, brings it up to date, and despite the clear lack of budget, they didn't waste a dime.
It has a lot of love and respect for the first two movies' lore. The Terminators are a real threat,the maps have the same eerie, prison-like feeling from the future scenes, the story has a better closure that one can expect (No sequel bait and well tought), along with a great final level and the soundtrack, while limited, it's a fine homage:

TL; DR: It's Fan Service, the game. Which... On the year of Dark Fate, was very much needed.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Star Ocean 4. It is a terrible game with horrible character models that looked more like creepy dolls, a laughable cliché story and unoriginal characters like tsundere childhood friend, genki catgirl and some awful fanservice characters like the elf mage. Plus funny names like Edge Maverick. The English dub is also atrocious. But despite all these flaws, I loved playing it. The gameplay is satisfying and the soundtrack was good. Had a good time with this game when I was a teenager.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't call Bionic Commando an outright bad game but the mentions here make me happy. That game ruled.

Travis Strikes Again is also one of my favorite games of yesteryear despite its mediocre reception. Loved that game's entire narrative and theming.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Bionic Commando.
bc.jpg

I wrote a full review of my thoughts on this gem that died by papercuts. What was buried past the opening levels and odd mechanics like the gun, leveling via achievement hunting, radiation, and mine field moments was something priceless and wonderful. It hurt that the studio died and that this project never quite made it to where it was going. The swinging , kiting, chases, and dodging around with dives off buildings and swinging from helicopters was incredible. Some of the best moments I've never seen duplicated elsewhere all came from Bionic Commando.

Here's a cut/paste of my full thoughts on this definition of a diamond in the rough game.

shaowebb's past review said:
Recently after a strong curiosity overtook me to study camera mechanics in various games I picked up Bionic Commando wondering not only how they handled the mechanics in a game involving swinging, but also wondering in general about the series. Turns out the camera was wonderful, and it always made certain to keep emphasis on the horizon so as to allow you plenty of screen to aim at with your swings, and I never once got the camera pinned or banged by buildings and I play around a LOT with cameras. The rest of what I experienced in Bionic Commando can be summarized in one sentence.

After playing this game all I can say is it felt like a triple A title...for about 15 seconds at a time.

While the swing felt wonderful, and play mechanics were easy to learn this game could've become so much more. For those wondering if the swing felt wrong the answer is "no". This was the greatest joy in the game. Simply hold down the left trigger, and look around with the right thumbstick. If you see any gray "x's" then these are things you can grab and will automatically grab the moment they become blue so long as you hold the left trigger. That means if you see an x and dive off of a building all you have to do is dive off and keep it generally viewed with the right thubstick. The moment it comes in range you will grapple it automatically. To let go you simply let go of the trigger. Just that simple. Momentum takes care of the rest. Though minefield swinging is difficult since Nathan is often placed with too little an "x" zone at too far a distance to make these areas feel as good as they could've been. Not really bad areas, but you can still screw up in them if you mess around, or aren't careful.

So why didn't the game make it if it's main mechanic felt as thrilling as I hoped?

The problems that occurred in this game are really a rotating cycle of "Lets introduce a great element", followed by "Lets cripple it somehow unintentionally through bad game balance".

Here is my general impressions.

• Your health, and ammo drops are ludicrously small.
  • To balance this they make your arm incredibly powerful to enforce the mentality of "Use the arm more" to players so the game will feel more like what it was meant to be and not just a generic 3rd person shooter with a few extra mechanics.
  • They gimp your arm, however, by making your enemies have a ludicrously long range aim. 200 yard kill shots from grunts with a pistol sucks early on.
  • To try to balance this they give you radar, and an incredibly speedy way to change camera direction and where you face with the d-pad
  • This is gimped by the fact that your enemies have NO indicators over them until they are within arm range. This means that you can be killed by guys from 200 yards away with a pistol who, when you turn to face them, you cannot find in time. Your radar says they are behind you, but they could be below you, or above you on the terrain and you cant see them. Early on, before your maximum health increases this is a nonstop issue.
  • LONG load screens between waypoints staged too closely together break game flow. They should have done what Unreal does in games, and use placeholder imagery of environs that are replaced when you get within range of them. This would have prevented the game from needing to load EVERYTHING at the start of each waypoint, and potentially could have allowed for far longer levels before each waypoint to exist since it would only need to load textures, and rigs that you were close to, and it could merely generate very low in size placeholders for more distant areas you couldn't reach.
  • Collectibles in this game are awesomely addictive to find since they are large glowing pixel-stylized sprites from the classic games that hover tantalizingly in the air. These provide excellent incentives to make the player explore stages more, and to try to make time to just use the fun swinging mechanic more so as to allow you to have an excuse to just play around.
  • Collectibles are pointless to attempt since 155 exist, and once you hit a waypoint you CANNOT go back to attempt to find the ones you missed in the last area. Also, if you die before a waypoint (which is often) you lose every collectible you had grabbed and have to get them again.
  • Revisiting earlier stages using a "section select" on the load screen will take you back to these areas...minus any moves, upgrades and weapons you earned at any point beyond these areas.
  • Earlier levels are REALLY hard compared to the later levels because the game essentially makes you attempt them with next to nothing to use to fight with. You only get the tungsten and its limited ammo in these earlier levels. It takes a bit before you earn any of the essential combat abilities, or get any of the decent weapons. Until you get the Zip line attack, the throw, and the ability to punch and launch objects about the stage the game just feels broken in balancing combat with fun. Ammo drops aren't really that short supplied later on because weapon pods are launched in EVERY LEVEL later on for quick ammo, and weapon grabs. Plus, by this point you have enough arm abilities that your main tactic is to use guerilla warfare to 1) Swing about so they cannot hit you easily 2) drop down on one with "Death from above" 3) grab another and throw him into more enemies 4) zip line a guy 5) repeat
  • Sniping is stupid in a game with so little health, and enemies that can spot fleas 2 counties over and shoot their wings off. Just swing in, and zip line people. You can even combo this move several times since so long as you are in range of a grab-able enemy your aiming reticle will try to hover on them.
  • The game gives you challenges to try in combat that will award you bonuses, health, more challenges to try and ammo limit upgrades and these are addictive to try.
  • You often do not have the liberty to attempt challenges on purpose, in order to progress since for a large period early on all you will be able to do is die, until the game hands you your arm abilities after scripted story moments. This means you upgrade by accident as you flail at enemies begging them not to blow your face off. It's kind of degrading to die with only 3 enemies to fight, but its easy to do in this game until your arm is beefed so challenges are too risky to shoot for early on. Plus, the lack of being able to play through older levels once a challenge is unlocked means you can't revisit areas that would've been perfect to attempt them in.

In general, this game feels incredible once you have all the essential moves to play it, and the promise of a pod refill on guns and ammo per level. The graphics look great, and even though Nathan is a twat and dialogue is early 90's action hero it does have decent voice actors portraying them. There is only so much you can do though with some of these lines is why the dialogue seems off to me.

What would have saved this game would have been more balancing of computer AI, more abilities early on , a better training area to learn abilities since mine field swinging is often a source of death and a radiation meter.

I forgot to mention that didn't I...radiation kills you so quick that one high swing into a cloud means your dead before you can even begin to plummet out of the cloud. Problem is since radiation is blue, and so are good things in this game like grapple reticles, and collectibles your mind doesn't subconsciously make you aware of these colors half the time since radiation streaks of blue on buildings and in the sky often do not even have similar ranges of danger zones. You only get a radiation symbol when your right on top of radiation, too. A meter similar to the ones in Metroid would have been better. For that matter a HEALTH BAR would've helped a lot as well to keep my alive. Red screens only go so far as to make me guess how close I am to dying.

In the end, the game felt so fun to play when I had my arm pulling off insanely addictive moves like grabbing enemies, and throwing them over the horizon, or into buildings way off in the distance while Nathan screamed "Sucks to be you!". However, too many load screens, lack of enemy aiming ai balancing to coincide with the limitations placed upon the player, and terrible balance earlier in the game serve as a decent reason this game flopped. This was my first experience with this series, and while I love the moments I got I hope this series gets a Bionic Commando sequel with more attention paid to the issues I mentioned.
If I had all of my arm abilities during the early stages on a new game, and enemies couldn't kill me from 200+yards away I would probably have a much better time. I know if I had started with the ability to fling bodies, and objects around like I do in later levels I would've been hooked VERY early. Until then, this game is just one long load screen from how often you will be dying.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Carrier on the Dreamcast

51738NRNHJL.jpg

A survival horror clone, Carrier came out around the same time as REC:V. The game is set on a giant aircraft carrier full of plant based mutants in various shapes and sizes- none of which will ever pose a serious threat. And that's good because you are outfit with a lame assortment of weapons. The most efficient weapon is the standard issue Welder, a short range taser that freezes most enemies in their place, allowing you to repeatedly shoot them until they die. Sure, you can get a crappy machine gun, or pistol, but the welder has unlimited ammo. The game introduces a neat 1st person mode that allows you to scan a room and can determine if survivors are infected or not. At the time this was a big deal because the world was fully rendered in 3d, unlike the per-rendered backgrounds of RE1-3. In the dark hallways of the Hemdial (the aircraft carrier) this could be really helpful. But here's the thing, the game's auto target system would target enemies with a great big blue reticle. So instead of waiting for the the slow 1st person scope to focus, you could just scan the room real quick with your gun. Even invisible enemies could be uncovered this way. It was a hilariously broken system.

This is one of those games that was at the right place at the right time. It's a deeply flawed game, but I couldn't help but enjoy it. It really felt like the little game that could, a game produced by a team that was really trying their best...they just weren't ready for primetime yet. This was back in the days when I was lucky to get a new game every couple of months, so I had to make a game last. I probably played through the game's two scenarios three times each, the first time, then a second time with the alternative costumes, and then a third time because why the hell not?

I mean, look at this incredible intro video!

And just look at this intense action! Resident Evil who???

It's a game that sits on my shelf and I just smile every time I look at it. I haven't played it since probably 2001, but maybe I'll fire it up tomorrow while I'm avoiding news about the election.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. I have put more than 250 hours on it. It reminded me of the time I felt in love with superheroes when I watched the 90s Spiderman and Xmen.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Recore was great fun until the end. I love a good platformer and it was a great platformer at least till the end where they gated your progress in the worst way imaginable.

Order 1866 was awesome too but the second half kind of stank and it ended way too abruptly.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
I really liked Star Fox Adventures... it's so freaking weird but I love it so much and I miss it.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
My answer for these questions will always be Drakengard 3, to me. I'll never claim its a good game by any metric, but it's still one of my favourites.
Carrier on the Dreamcast

51738NRNHJL.jpg

A survival horror clone, Carrier came out around the same time as REC:V. The game is set on a giant aircraft carrier full of plant based mutants in various shapes and sizes- none of which will ever pose a serious threat. And that's good because you are outfit with a lame assortment of weapons. The most efficient weapon is the standard issue Welder, a short range taser that freezes most enemies in their place, allowing you to repeatedly shoot them until they die. Sure, you can get a crappy machine gun, or pistol, but the welder has unlimited ammo. The game introduces a neat 1st person mode that allows you to scan a room and can determine if survivors are infected or not. At the time this was a big deal because the world was fully rendered in 3d, unlike the per-rendered backgrounds of RE1-3. In the dark hallways of the Hemdial (the aircraft carrier) this could be really helpful. But here's the thing, the game's auto target system would target enemies with a great big blue reticle. So instead of waiting for the the slow 1st person scope to focus, you could just scan the room real quick with your gun. Even invisible enemies could be uncovered this way. It was a hilariously broken system.

This is one of those games that was at the right place at the right time. It's a deeply flawed game, but I couldn't help but enjoy it. It really felt like the little game that could, a game produced by a team that was really trying their best...they just weren't ready for primetime yet. This was back in the days when I was lucky to get a new game every couple of months, so I had to make a game last. I probably played through the game's two scenarios three times each, the first time, then a second time with the alternative costumes, and then a third time because why the hell not?

I mean, look at this incredible intro video!

And just look at this intense action! Resident Evil who???

It's a game that sits on my shelf and I just smile every time I look at it. I haven't played it since probably 2001, but maybe I'll fire it up tomorrow while I'm avoiding news about the election.

God, this game. The title call out on the main menu will always make me laugh, forever.

KEERYERRR

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yes, Terminator Resistance is my AA GOTY from last year.

The game retakes the concept from Future Shock and Skynet, from Bethesda, brings it up to date, and despite the clear lack of budget, they didn't waste a dime.
It has a lot of love and respect for the first two movies' lore. The Terminators are a real threat,the maps have the same eerie, prison-like feeling from the future scenes, the story has a better closure that one can expect (No sequel bait and well tought), along with a great final level and the soundtrack, while limited, it's a fine homage:

TL; DR: It's Fan Service, the game. Which... On the year of Dark Fate, was very much needed.

Man, I've been wanting to check this out for a while but I swear it never goes on sale (at least on Xbox). $40 just seems steep for what everyone says about it, especially given how it's no longer a new release. The physical copies are even pricier!

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
The original Nier was objectively mediocre. Poor graphics, very simple combat, and a wacky story. But i don't know, something kept drawing me back to it. And enough others apparently that they made a sequel.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Rollercoaster Tycoon World PC is a bad game; barely optimized and functional, but it has that park simulation feature like any other games that I enjoyed. Plus, the rollercoaster build feature is great.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
El Shaddai at a solid frame rate is the only reason I'm considering the Xbox Series X...so I guess that counts.

There's a lot of combat variety and depth to the game that it never really explains. I thought it was awesome.

Mar 25, 2019
The first thing that came to mind reading the OP is Kyoei Toshi, or City Shrouded in Shadow.

1516697158-257380620_m.jpg

It's a Japan-only spin-off of Disaster Report that shares the same gameplay but, instead of natural disasters, you've got various kaiju attacks. This game features brief appearances from Godzilla, Gamera, Ultraman, Patlabor, and even Evangelion, and I can guarantee few other games will give you that.

It's janky, the framerate's all over the place, I played it with fairly limited Japanese reading comprehension, and yet I wouldn't have it any other way - it's one of the most special and unique experiences you can have on PS4.

City-Shrouded-in-Shadow-screenshot2.jpg

CityShrouded-1-1.jpg

city-shrouded-in-shadow9.jpg

Been looking into the PS4 Godzilla game lately, and provided I can find a cheap enough copy of it, that might fall into the same camp.

I've come so close to importing this game multiple times, but I know absolutely zero Japanese. It's such a silly idea for a take on Disaster Report, it looks like so much fun

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Fuck yeah. I love asymmetrical multiplayer games. You know, the genre that spawned out of massive hyped game Evolve that nobody ended up liking.

I fucking LOVE Evolve. I played so much of it. I don't know as if it'd count as a bad game, but people sure hated it. A diamond in the rough is definitely the description for me.

Likewise, I really like incredibly forgotten Sony first party 2020 game Predator Hunting Grounds. The game's sat on a 57% on Opencritic. It got panned. It's super light, has one mode and three(?) maps. There is so little there. Yet I love it as 2020 entry into the asymmetrical multiplayer genre. It's fun as hell! I'm almost certainly gonna still be dipping in for games come 2021. If anyone else is still playing.

Devs, keep making them. They'll be ignored by basically everyone but I'll keep buying them.

I only ever played evolve with the stage 2 reboot, and it's a legit great game that just could not find an audience IMO. Games were often one sided but when you found a good match up the game just sings.

gdoX

Oct 24, 2020
In ps2 era i used to play an odd game, Crash 'n Burn I think it was called. Everyone hated the damn thing but I loved it, oil leftover on the asphalt burning other racers, mindless crashing into each other, pretty damn good car damage for that time. Maybe my memories is fooling me, i got to see how well it aged, been years since I played lol

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Man, I've been wanting to check this out for a while but I swear it never goes on sale (at least on Xbox). $40 just seems steep for what everyone says about it, especially given how it's no longer a new release. The physical copies are even pricier!
Yeah, for a strange reason, the game doesn't go on sale as often as one would believe, even on steam.
Still, get it when you can, the game is a slow burn but the build up for the final missions really pays off.

ArcaneFreeze

Oct 27, 2017
ZombiU. I know there's a small faction in era that thoroughly enjoyed the game but overall it was a pretty midling experience for many. I loved it though and probably my favorite use of the WiiU gamepad.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Front Mission Evolved is a straight up mediocre to flat out bad game (sorry devs).

But the team that designed the sounds for the weapons did a great job. That's the reason I played the whole game.

There was this one battle rifle that straight up had one of the best feels of any gun I've ever fire in a game. It was chunky.