• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
capsule_616x353.jpg

So by all accounts OPM: AHNK is a bad game. The game runs like butt even on X1X, the fighting is pretty jank, and there's loads of pop in among other oddities. However, after starting it last night I just can't put it down. I should state I've never even watched the anime (I have passing knowledge of it) but the concept around the game is just super interesting and the flaws while noticeable aren't enough for me to absolutely forego it (The difficulty for example isn't very high, which is often a detriment to lower quality fare).

For those who don't know, the game is about you making your own superhero and starting as a nobody at the bottom of the superhero agency. As you play you level up your hero (Between both stats & fighting styles) and other stronger heroes will show up in your fights to assist you. It's a basic concept on paper, but it kind of amazes me that outside of this game we haven't really seen a "superhero" RPG game. Off the top of my head, X-Men Destiny is the only one I can think of that isn't an MMO or isn't just about getting your DC/Marvel cast of heroes leveled up.

There's just something about this concept that really resonates with me. To the point where I wish the idea here could be explored by a studio with a bigger budget and time. With as popular as Superheros are, you'd think a concept like this wouldn't be as rare as it is. When Saitama shows up and ends any fight in one hit, it's just so satisfying and really adds to the idea of how much bigger this world of superheroes is.

OPM: AHK really check off all the boxes of being something "bad" but is ultimately a diamond in the rough thanks to its unique concept. I haven't wanted to talk about a game like this in quite a while so for that fact alone it's definitely do something right despite it all.

=========================

So as the title states, have you played any titles in past or recently that left you a similar feeling?

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
A few years ago, I got Digimon World: Next Order and the game itself is pretty much just Busywork and Stat Sheet management, but boy did I and my friend enjoy it. It's largely to do with the fact that it's digimon, but a no frills digimon game that was being overly verbose like the Story game was perfect for me at that point and my life. It's easily one of my favorite games that I can't really recommend to anyone, haha.

The desert theme kinda slapped, too.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yeah. I love asymmetrical multiplayer games. You know, the genre that spawned out of massive hyped game Evolve that nobody ended up liking.

I fucking LOVE Evolve. I played so much of it. I don't know as if it'd count as a bad game, but people sure hated it. A diamond in the rough is definitely the description for me.

Likewise, I really like incredibly forgotten Sony first party 2020 game Predator Hunting Grounds. The game's sat on a 57% on Opencritic. It got panned. It's super light, has one mode and three(?) maps. There is so little there. Yet I love it as 2020 entry into the asymmetrical multiplayer genre. It's fun as hell! I'm almost certainly gonna still be dipping in for games come 2021. If anyone else is still playing.

Devs, keep making them. They'll be ignored by basically everyone but I'll keep buying them.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
^oh yeah RAD is amazing.

My whole Eurojank RPG collection. Half the titles are probably from Spiders. I used to play a lot of JRPG's in the PS1/PS2 era and boy was there a lot.
Ephemeral Fantasia was the pinnacle of bad game but interesting enough.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I think I get what you mean with the super hero build up. It reminds me of my experience with Xenoverse series. You create a character in the Dragonball universe and time travel junk food plot allows you to fight through alternate versions of the story alongside series favourite heroes/villains. That you can pick a mentor to train under and learn their techniques was really neat. I'd love to see something like this for X-Men or FMA for example.

As for the thread premise, Koei Tecmo's warriors series are like my casual comfort games. Just smashing through armies, taking over bases etc. The combat is generally pretty basic but also just flashy enough to keep me entertained. On harder difficulties it is less about actual constant challenge but rather not getting stun locked or caught off guard by enemies that can quickly shut you down. Using your op specials become more of a panic button when things go south, while familiarising your Moveset to wipe enemies before they are a threat is just an extension of earlier levels.
The games are repetitive, the characters are often one dimension and stuck within story constrains. Character balance is also not great but I enjoy the games a lot nevertheless.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Sure. I enjoyed the quiet methodical journeying and connectivity of Death Stranding. Climbing a precarious hill on its own felt like a feat worth celebrating. Establishing an effective system of transportation lines from one base to another felt really good. And even when things fell apart, it was almost a comedy of errors at how badly things could go.

But it's not a "good" game. The story is horrendous. The premise and setup is fascinating, but it absolutely does not pay off in a satisfying way. If anything, the more the game talks, the more you wish it would shut up. The pacing and reliance on largely unskippable combat scenarios felt completely at odds with what is satisfying about the game. And the fundamental message is both comically naive and utterly stupid.

By the end of 40-80 hours, you wonder why the fuck you didn't stop at 20. It's a fascinating thing that big-budget games so very very very rarely are. But it's nonetheless bad.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I did not finish it but I enjoyed what I played of Left Alive despite all the jank because the concept (third-person MGSV-style sandbox stealth in big environments, with survival/resource management, in a futuristic setting, with Yoji Shinkawa as art director) was basically a perfect concept for a game for me which helped make up for flaws in execution. One day I'll go back to it.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017

Generation of Chaos (PSP)

It's not a well executed game and it just throws you under the bus in terms of familiarizing yourself with how the game works. Once I taught myself how to play it, it was actually pretty fun.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The first thing that came to mind reading the OP is Kyoei Toshi, or City Shrouded in Shadow.

1516697158-257380620_m.jpg

It's a Japan-only spin-off of Disaster Report that shares the same gameplay but, instead of natural disasters, you've got various kaiju attacks. This game features brief appearances from Godzilla, Gamera, Ultraman, Patlabor, and even Evangelion, and I can guarantee few other games will give you that.

It's janky, the framerate's all over the place, I played it with fairly limited Japanese reading comprehension, and yet I wouldn't have it any other way - it's one of the most special and unique experiences you can have on PS4.

City-Shrouded-in-Shadow-screenshot2.jpg

CityShrouded-1-1.jpg

city-shrouded-in-shadow9.jpg

Been looking into the PS4 Godzilla game lately, and provided I can find a cheap enough copy of it, that might fall into the same camp.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I like old school fixed camera horror games. So I'm happy to play those games from PS1 and PS2 that aren't that great. I kinda enjoyed the X-Files Resist or Serve PS2 game recently, even though I don't think it's very good.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Fuck yeah. I love asymmetrical multiplayer games. You know, the genre that spawned out of massive hyped game Evolve that nobody ended up liking.

I fucking LOVE Evolve. I played so much of it. I don't know as if it'd count as a bad game, but people sure hated it. A diamond in the rough is definitely the description for me.

Likewise, I really like incredibly forgotten Sony first party 2020 game Predator Hunting Grounds. The game's sat on a 57% on Opencritic. It got panned. It's super light, has one mode and three(?) maps. There is so little there. Yet I love it as 2020 entry into the asymmetrical multiplayer genre. It's fun as hell! I'm almost certainly gonna still be dipping in for games come 2021. If anyone else is still playing.

Devs, keep making them. They'll be ignored by basically everyone but I'll keep buying them.

Hell yeah! I don't have quite the same love for asymmetrical MP (though Spies vs Mercs NEEDS TO COME BACK and that's kinda assym) as you but I feel similarly about smaller MP games (GIGANTIC, OH GIGANTIC) that places like Era et al ignore/develop a negative consensus about/don't even know to ignore because it's not the Next Big Thing (and yes, because sometimes they're a bit busted).

In other nerws, I love ReCore. It was objectively unfinished at release, and the DE fixes a lot but it's still clearly a game that needed more time in the oven. But my god I LOVE IT.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
that crappy superman returns game is perhaps the game the most powerful you could feel in a game

you can superbreath an enemy miles in the sky and flying up to deliver a punch that breaks the sound barrier while the enemy is still flying almost makes the game worth it

Nov 8, 2017
Of course.

Recently, Terminator Resistance is like a 6/10 or 7/10 game by most people's reckoning, but I enjoyed the shit out of it because of how authentic of a Termiantor experience it felt like.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Bionic Commando (the one with the hot dog arm and dreadlocked Spencer). Pre-Spiderman/Sunset Overdrive, etc., I just found the grappling mechanics, and fighting super high up to be really fun. The story was awful, there was an ever-present fog that limited your freedom, but still...I played the shit out of it.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
The first thing that came to mind reading the OP is Kyoei Toshi, or City Shrouded in Shadow.

1516697158-257380620_m.jpg

It's a Japan-only spin-off of Disaster Report that shares the same gameplay but, instead of natural disasters, you've got various kaiju attacks. This game features brief appearances from Godzilla, Gamera, Ultraman, Patlabor, and even Evangelion, and I can guarantee few other games will give you that.

It's janky, the framerate's all over the place, I played it with fairly limited Japanese reading comprehension, and yet I wouldn't have it any other way - it's one of the most special and unique experiences you can have on PS4.

City-Shrouded-in-Shadow-screenshot2.jpg

CityShrouded-1-1.jpg

city-shrouded-in-shadow9.jpg

Been looking into the PS4 Godzilla game lately, and provided I can find a cheap enough copy of it, that might fall into the same camp.
I've wanted to play this game since I learned it existed ages ago. The problem is, I don't speak Japanese, do you know if there is literally any way for me to experience this properly? Hell even just a translated script I can read side by side or something?

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

Oh damn, finally someone who understands
I love the fuck out of asymmetrical multiplayer games, even bad/mediocre ones.
I'm probably the only person on this site who enjoyed/has defended Aliens: Colonial Marines, solely because of its asymmetrical multiplayer component

Aliens: Colonial Marines (No, I'm not joking. I'm a sucker for asymmetrical MP games, and the MP suite was half decent unlike the garbage SP. Well worth the $10 I paid)
A lot of the stuff I came in here to mention (Anarchy Reigns (why the fuck didn't you buy Anarchy Reigns), Max Payne 3, Shadowrun '07) was already said, so I'm gonna jump straight into my multiplayer hot take:

Aliens: Colonial Marines.

No, I'm not joking.

The campaign is absolutely as boring and as buggy as you've seen/heard. There's no defending that. I quit after the first level.
The multiplayer, though, was really enjoyable. I bought it for $10 like a month after it came out with some friends, and I greatly got my money's worth. I actually even bought multiplayer skins for the game, that's how much I enjoyed and played it. There's actually still some active Steam groups for this game. The general gaming community never gave this game a deeper look than it's shitty campaign, but most people who dove into the multiplayer seemed to have enjoyed their time with it as I have.

Crysis 2 & 3 also had some pretty fun multiplayer, especially 3's Hunter mode

I just picked up Predator: Hunting Grounds yesterday, but haven't had a chance to play it yet (finally cheap enough for me to pull the trigger due to sale + EGS coupon), this gives me hope that I'll enjoy it

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
Shadowrun (360) is the best console multiplayer FPS and I played it for thousands of hours. Way ahead of its time and extremely rewarding when you learn all the systems and play at a high level.

It had way too little content, looked mediocre, should have been 30 bucks and got eaten alive by much more feature complete shooters that year, but it is still the best from a gameplay mechanics and level design perspective.

It should have had PvE of some kind and they shouldn't have bothered with GFWL and cross-play.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
A few years ago, I got Digimon World: Next Order and the game itself is pretty much just Busywork and Stat Sheet management, but boy did I and my friend enjoy it. It's largely to do with the fact that it's digimon, but a no frills digimon game that was being overly verbose like the Story game was perfect for me at that point and my life. It's easily one of my favorite games that I can't really recommend to anyone, haha.

The desert theme kinda slapped, too.

YES! If only they were more thoughtful in scattering the Digimon you can recruit and not put, say, MetalGarurumon in a random place just because, it would have been perfect.

Anyway, maybe this is blasphemous but the first name I thought of was modern Suda. He's an interesting dude who knows his stuff from Bruegel to Wong Kar Wai, but he can't quite gather all these inspirations and alchemize them into a good game these days. Let It Die is a lead example for me.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
I really loved Star Fox Zero. The motion aiming was superb. The dual screen setup really felt like an arcade experience in my living room.

Also, Skygunner on PS2 flew under basically everyone's radar. Cool, colorful flight combat game. Didn't review well and chugged at times, but very fun to play.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
My all-time favorite online co-op FPS is the PS3's SOCOM 4. Oh man, if I could ever play that exact type of experience again, I will be ecstatic despite the criticism the game as a whole received. I guess one thing that was in my favor for loving it was that I never played any SOCOM game before, so I didn't have any expectations of the vs. mode (which I only played a few times anyway).

One thing that drew me in was that the co-op action was absolutely INSANE on the toughest difficulty. I would literally feel nervous in a corner because of how intense the A.I. enemy was at trying to surround and close in on us in a way that did not feel cheap or unfair. It wasn't even bullet spongy A.I. either... the most individual enemies went down pretty fast with head shots, but the way they moved around and laid down suppressing fire with sniper support deep in the back made it a thrill to come up with tactics to make it through to the mission objective and survive (one life only!).

Another thing that immensely added to immersion was that it supported the motion gun controller peripheral. There is nothing like playing a shooter with an actual (fake) rifle in your hands. It wasn't just a gimmick either... just as well as I can with a mouse, aiming with the gun for head shots was effortless and nearly instant.

I miss SOCOM 4 co-op a lot. I'm hoping I can return to something like that in the future as VR gaming matures on the PS5.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say Star Fox: Zero is outright a bad game, but it fails in some big, unforgivable ways, poisoning the well for such a motion-controlled SF game, and I wouldn't push back against someone saying it was bad.

However, it does provide the best aerial dogfighting the series has seen because of the high degree of aiming control (and those fights can be made much more challenging to accommodate), the few moments that involve aiming straight down/up/sideways while flying forward are cool, and the"two players controlling one ship" is actually a lot of fun.

The last bit is reminiscent of those moments in Star Wars where someone's piloting a ship and another's manning the guns while they coordinate with one another.

poe-and-finn-steal-a-tie-fighter-and-escape-the-first-order-star-destroyer.gif

Not sure there are any other games that provide the experiences SF0 does well, and there's definitely no others in the Star Fox series, or that have the same vibe/characters/etc.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is Crackdown 3 considered a bad game? because it is the best game. Just flying around collecting orbs, I dont need anything else in a game.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
97696-jaws-unleashed-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

I played the shit outta this even though the game was so jank it was borderline unplayable sometimes. How many games let you play as a giant shark???? It's also why I was so excited for Maneater when it came out too.

Oct 26, 2017
Too Human was not a good game, it really wasn't but it scratched an itch that nothing else on the 360 could scratch at the time.

Altrich

Apr 5, 2018
Deadly premonition has objectively terrible combat, terrible driving and archaic menu / UI.
I love it a lot not just bcs of the story and atmosphere but I warmed up to those terrible stuff and ended up enjoying it

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
Onechanbara games go into that territory tbh. It just needs more polish on its execution but it has solid yet simple gameplay

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about enjoyed it but from a traversal and combat perspective Anthem is the best BioWare have done.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I've always had more memorable experiences with rough, slightly janky games than super-safe AAA games, especially in the musical and story/character departments.
For instance, Rule of Rose is pretty rough, but man, that storytelling was simply amazing and well executed like nothing else.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
For me this is Crackdown 3. Nothing about the game is great, I can't even remember the story, and there was a bit of monotony. Somehow though I played through the whole thing. I used it for brainless fun, kind of like a bad action movie

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've wanted to play this game since I learned it existed ages ago. The problem is, I don't speak Japanese, do you know if there is literally any way for me to experience this properly? Hell even just a translated script I can read side by side or something?
I don't know if they ever finished it, but there was a translation playthrough on YouTube someone did. Blasphemous as it is, Google-translating basic choice options will get you through the game - there aren't many fail states that are dialogue based.

That'll just get you seeing the sights rather than truly understanding every beat of the story though. I'd love a proper translation guide too but haven't seen one. Obviously there was no chance of a Western release for this because of all the licensed properties.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know if they ever finished it, but there was a translation playthrough on YouTube someone did. Blasphemous as it is, Google-translating basic choice options will get you through the game - there aren't many fail states that are dialogue based.

That'll just get you seeing the sights rather than truly understanding every beat of the story though. I'd love a proper translation guide too but haven't seen one. Obviously there was no chance of a Western release for this because of all the licensed properties.
I presume the game's "sightseeing" is good enough and the story itself is not really the main draw for that to be too big of an issue if I just run everything through a Google Translate app then?

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Bouncer

Plot made zero sense but the action move format was pretty fun. Also had a fair amount of secrets that kept things interesting.

Also every damn track was slammin'

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
I like Sonic Forces. Its short, super easy, super corny, and full of awkward decisions, BUT it also has some fun (not good necessarily) music and its fun to just press some buttons in it.