• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't understand it years ago, about why would someone to watch play a game. But I found a few where the streamer has a fun personality and is entertaining, chat is nice and friendly, and I'm happy and entertained to be there. So yes and it's certainly not a waste of money. For me (and maybe everyone), It's not about the game or playing the game, it's about the streamer's personality and the community and a fun place

I don't get why people donate to the biggest streamers with tens of thousands of people in chat, so many people that they won't even know who they are or feel the money difference, millionaires like Ninja, that I don't get

Oct 26, 2017
nope and will not , cos they will just say ' thanks to ( insert username ) ' and won't remember you

This is only the case if you're watching someone with >100 subs and you don't post much in the Twitch chat or Discord.

(You should not treat streamers as your friends, but they're generally good at remembering the background of people paying them as... that is their job)

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Only donation I give is the $5 monthly dollars from Prime. Otherwise, no. Never have donated and doubt I will.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Closest thing I did was sub to Greg Chun's Twitch account using the free one you get with Prime. Only reason I even linked Prime to Twitch was to get DMC1 for free on Twitch back in 2018. Most of the time it's not even being used.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I sometimes drop off bits to make TTS quips and I regularly donate to small streamers I enjoy. they provide me with entertainment, so I don't feel it's wasted.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Never, but I don't enjoy watching other people play games.

If I did enjoy it and spent hours consuming their work? Maybe.

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
When I have my twitch prime if that counts...fighting game streamers provide me with entertainment and I actually learn stuff so why not.

I guess that's just to sub, haven't done a random donation.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I'd throw a twitch prime sub to a smaller streamer back when i slightly used the site but other than that, NO.

DONATING (unless charity stream of course) money to these big streamer is fucking weird, man, often doing so they can see their stupid message on screen, which is also annoying as shit btw.

I'd rather watch a curated, edited down, non-chat interrupted youtube video any day anyways.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have. Supporting people who invest their lives to entertain isn't a weird concept to me. Smaller creators especially. Bigger ones I've done small ones to get funny meme things to play so the chat chuckles together.

I don't think I've ever given more than $10 to anyone in one sitting though.

I keep two subs, one prime and one paid. I allot $15 for donos in a month. I budget it, and since I don't pay for cable I see it as paying for the entertainment I do enjoy to keep it around.

Oct 26, 2017
I've donated to one streamer who is a real life friend.

Otherwise, I have not donated to any gaming streamer. I have gifted subscriptions before, which sort of counts as a donation?

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a real donation but I am subbed to a few gaming streamers on Twitch.

However, I donate to Easy Allies when they did the George Floyd charity stream.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
I can understand if you donate $20 here and there ,thats fine , but there are people who donate $500+ every other stream, that just blows my small mind.
for some people 500$ is the equivalent to the 20$ in your eyes. For other people, that same 20$ you'd think is fine would be outrageous to spend. Its all relative.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I have. There are lots of things people spend money on others would consider a waste. It's w/e.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not, and I never, ever will. I'm not going to pay for something I can otherwise legally get for free and with no additional hassle.

I've some...opinions about those who donate to the big streamers, but I don't want to seem too harsh, so...rethink things?

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Streamers are giving hours of free content, showing them some support is great.

If it isn't worth supporting, you should ask yourself why you're watching in the first place.

Se_t

Apr 14, 2020
As much as I want to like twitch I never actually sit and watch someone do stuff, I don't have the time nor the patience to sit through hours on end watching someone else. I will watch a streamer play a high level competitive game to see how it works but I never stick around. I did give a prime sub to Maximilian Dood a few times cause I like the guy. Can't see myself giving money though, may be on a patreon if I REALLY enjoy their work.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Even that sounds way over the top. Who the hell donates $20 "here and there"? I probably sound stupid but that's quite a lot of money to just throw around....

If you watch it and enjoy it, then you should tip. If you watch it on a regular basis and want them to continue, then you should donate 20 here and there to support the entertainment you're getting unless you're broke

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Never donated but I once gifted 10 Gift Subscriptions (50€) to a streamer I watch a lot. I probably spend as much or more time watching her streams than play games, plus she plays games I tend not be that interested in playing myself. It's just a great time!

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Never have, never will
"but they give hours of free content!" if you feel compelled to pay, its not free. do you pay for every youtuber you watch as well? no problem if you do but most dont have that disposable income. if id really like someone doing content like that i would dunno, buy their merch on some store or something. not just blind donate to have my nickname and a short dumb message flashing on screen

Oct 27, 2017
I've subscribed to a few on Twitch from time to time. Fully expecting to see people ITT treating it as some weird thing to do, paying people for entertainment.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Prime sub to small channels, and a few charity streams here or there.

I suppose I can understand if you're supporting small streamers, but people who donate to bigger ones is something I still can't wrap my head around. Like I saw someone donate a thousand dollars to Asmon the other day, and that guy is a multi millionaire. Just why.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Never have. I also don't watch streamers, so there's that.

If I were to throw money at anyone, it would be the whatever group Brad, Vinny, and Alex made.

After that, it would be towards the DF crew. They do amazing work.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I subbed once to a Destiny streamer hoping to get picked to be carried to the lighthouse back in D1.

While I watched his stream… his controller was low on battery and had to be connected by usb cable to recharge… the problem was that it wouldn't stay connected properly.

In that period that I watched… several… and I'm talking more than three or four people… donated to him the price of a controller so that he could get a new one.

It's all one big scam. And people who donate to them are perpetuating the scam.

Unless the money is going to an actual charity, nobody should donate to these guys.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
No but I always do the twitch prime thing with kinda funny. I assume they make a decent amount of money with subs that way. I only do podcasts with them. Have been listening to their content for years.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Prime sub to small channels, and a few charity streams here or there.

I suppose I can understand if you're supporting small streamers, but people who donate to bigger ones is something I still can't wrap my head around. Like I saw someone donate a thousand dollars to Asmon the other day, and that guy is a multi millionaire. Just why.
Scraping money off the manipulation of paradoxical relationships, the cutting edge of commodification that comes from contrived authenticity. Just sad and gross on multiple levels.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I sub to some twitch channels. "Tier 2 subs" for SIFTDgames and JTB123. I use my Twitch Prime subs on Abby Russell's channel.

Actual donations though? I guess I donated like 50 bucks or so to a JTB stream for charity. I can't remember what it was called, it was the thing for Giant Bomb later in the year. Nothing like a "normal" donation that goes to the streamer though.

Oh yeah, I'll buy bits every now and then and give those to those streamers too, if that counts.

Shooter

Oct 28, 2017
Told I guy, who was streaming, in my Valorant ranked game if he clutched a 1v4 I'd donate $5. The guy then proceeded to turn into S1mple and con me out of $5.

Oct 28, 2017
I use my prime sub on Lirik's channel, or whoever I happen to watch most that month, but have never actually donated money. I did pay for a Giant Bomb membership for years though. It recently expired and probably won't renew that one.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Whether it's $500 or $20 or $1, in my eyes it's not far off from running into a celebrity on the street and giving them money out of your pocket in hopes they say your name.

Not all of them are celebs. Yeah, probably not much use donating to Mr. Man with 30,000 people watching. But folk with only a few hundred viewers probably appreciate it.

I wouldn't let one person scamming folk with a "broken" controller ruin that either.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Do twitch prime subs count? Those are usually reserved for Easy Allies

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
No, because I have no personal connection to a stranger playing video games; no shared past and no future so I don't get anything out of watching someone play video games. And since I'm not even doing that I've never donated any money to a streamer. I'm not feeling entertained by streamers.