• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
Every Nintendo handheld for pokemon except the Switch (since I find both pokemon games bad).
Nintendo64 for pokemon stadium.
Gamecube for pokemon colosseum.
Wii and WiiU for Monster hunter tri.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Not really... but the original Xbox I would not have bought if it wasn't for Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Bought a PS4 for basically just Bloodborne. Though that and God of War did make the purchase worth it for me.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
PS3 for Metal Gear Solid 4
Wii U for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Vita for Persona 4 Golden

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
XB1 for Sunset Overdrive when it came out. Played Forza Horizon 2 on it as well before selling, very glad to have played those two though.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I bought a Switch for Breath of the Wild. I knew other games would come (Mario Odyssey had already been revealed, for instance) but at the time I was happy owning that console if that was the only game I owned on it.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Playstation TV for Persona 4 Golden. It was worth it too. Only cost me approximately $60 total.

Genuine Class

Dec 25, 2017
Vancouver
Sort of – I bought an Xbox One because I wanted to replay Tomb Raider at 60fps. Then it wasn't; turns out only the PS4 version was 60fps. So I returned the Xbox One and got a PS4, and that strangely dictated my decision this generation

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Not necessarily for a single game overall, but certain games were System sellers for me and made me get consoles specifically so I could play those games. I of course would get other games for the consoles eventually.

But to answer:
GameCube for Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Nintendo DS for Sonic Rush
Xbox 360 for Gears of War 2
Wii U for Super Smash Bros. For Wii U (this was the first time I ever pre-ordered a game, and I'm glad I did, because finding the GameCube Adapter and GameCube controller was impossible after launch if you didn't get the pack in)
Xbox One for Halo: Master Chief Collection

Every other console was more so a handful of games rather than one specific game.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Bought a 360 primarily for Fable 2 and Gears 2, bought a ps4 for Bloodborne, bought a Vita for Uncharted Golden Abyss, and a ps3 for Killzone 2...suffice to say that I ended up playing a lot more than just 1 game for each console. But, to be fair, the only new console I bought from those listed was my ps4, my ps3 I got for $40 two weeks ago, the Vita from a user here for $150 and the 360 in 2011 for about $200.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a Switch for BoTW and then hated it.

Bought an X1 for Sunset Overdrive...and hated that also.
Good times lol.

haha this is totally me, the funny thing is i revisited BOTW in Jan and finished the game and absolutely loved it. I hated the starting plateau area though and it took me 4-5 tries over 2 years to get past it, but once I did I fell in love with the game.

Also bought an xbox to play Sunset Overdrive, I got the cheap white bundle w/ the game during a black friday but bounced off the game quickly. I'm mulling playing that game again, although might wait for a Series X.

The crazy thing is for the next gen there is absolutely NOTHING i see compelling yet, my most anticipated game is Cyberpunk and I don't even know how I'll play it - PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X, PS5, or upgrade my PC?

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I kind of bought the switch for a few games but ultimately played Breath of the wild and odyssey and called it quits.

GonXtreme

Dec 13, 2017
Moscow
Megadrive - Sonic
Saturn - Nights
Dreamcast - Shenmue
PS2 - Metal Gear Solid 2
X360 - Gears
PS3 - The Last Guardian (so this one may be for another thread "Have you ever bought a console for an announced game that didn't got released?")
PS4 - The Last Guardian, finally

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
haha this is totally me, the funny thing is i revisited BOTW in Jan and finished the game and absolutely loved it. I hated the starting plateau area though and it took me 4-5 tries over 2 years to get past it, but once I did I fell in love with the game.

Hah, funny enough I was the opposite on BoTW, I loved the Plateau I have replayed that part 8-9 times but once I jump off I'm like, nah, not today Satan lol.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Now that I think about it, the only reason I ever got the Game Boy Color was for Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal, any other games were borrowed.

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
Yes, I bought the Persona 4 Golden Portable and the Persona 4 Golden TV for that precise reason.
vita/vita tv

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
My usual rule is ill buy it once they announce 5 games I want to play. I broke that for the Switch and bought it just for Breath of the Wild. I've bought more games since, no regrets.

When I bought an Xbox One it was for Sunset Overdrive, Phantom Dust, Fable Legends, Scalebound and Crackdown... So in the end it was pretty much like I bought it for 1 game since 3 of them were canceled and one was delayed for fucking ever.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bought the 3DS only for Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, stayed for the incredible games it had.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Yeah, in retrospect it's clear I bought the PS3 for Journey and got little else from it (I learned I was not into mainstream gaming with it).

And I bought the original Xbox for JSRF and the promise of the main Sega exclusives being there...and it didn't turn out well either.

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a GCN for the three Resident Evil games. So for one series.

Bought a 360 over a PS3 at launch for Dead Rising. I later sold it for a PS3 so I would be ready for FFXIII...lol. Technically those were my main systems so they weren't there for one game, but it was one game driving my choices.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I pretty much only played Super Mario 3D World on my Wii U, didn't plan for it to be the only Wii U game I really played, but it was. I think a couple of family members bought a few more and I loved 3D World, so wasn't a complete waste overall.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
I bought a PS3 for Valkyria Chronicles. I bought Valkyria Chronicles because of its connection to Skies of Arcadia. I bought the game maybe a year or so before I actually bought a console to play it on.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm tempted to pick up a refurbished 2DS from Nintendo just to play Samus Returns but haven't done it yet.

I keep hoping it gets ported to the Switch instead =)