• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because I really want Rare Replay but don't want to buy an XBO just for that, and none of the other exclusives interest me in the slightest. I'm this close to biting for a compilation of old N64 games.

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
Mega Drive for Sonic 2.

Even bought the game and read the manual many times before I saved up enough for the actual console.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a 3DS for Fire Emblem Awakening.
Only time I straight bought a device for a single game. Has no interest in anything else for 3DS at the time

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Did you buy/hold onto a console for just one game/series?

I've got a PS2 with two microphones just for singstar because there's so many of them and there's no real alternative. I've got a 360 with four controllers just for Perfect Dark as I've finally accepted the N64 version with four humans and eight sims is not enjoyable. I've got a Super Nintendo...

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Doesn't really count but I picked up an Orginal Crystal Xbox a while back in order to play those old James Bond games.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
GameCube for Smash Bros. Melee, original Xbox for Ninja Gaiden: Black. Zero regrets!

Even if you're not quite sure if you want anything else on the console (that was my case with the Xbox, never cared much for Halo for example), eventually you'll start finding out about games you didn't even knew you wanted lol

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yes, I buy consoles knowing they last 5 to 7 years of experiences. Every console has games people would like but that are written off before giving them a try.

I wrote off Gears for years as a PlayStation fanboy when I was younger but I recently played for the first time and damn this series is excellent.

I also only buy Nintendo consoles for Pokémon

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a 32X just for Knuckles Chaotix, although at that time the system was so dead that I paid $40 for it and the game combined on clearance at Toys R Us.

Oct 28, 2017
There's other games I got for it naturally, but:

Xbox -> Jet SetRadio Future

Was a huge JSR Dreamcast fan, and while Halo would eventually come to dominate my time with the system, in the summer of 2002 it wasn't even on my radar. JSRF was IT.

Onvious

Nov 16, 2019
I bought ps4 pro for Bloodborne only. When I done with Bloodborne, I checked other exc games too. Only God of War kept my interest tho

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Did you buy/hold onto a console for just one game/series?

I've got a PS2 with two microphones just for singstar because there's so many of them and there's no real alternative. I've got a 360 with four controllers just for Perfect Dark as I've finally accepted the N64 version with four humans and eight sims is not enjoyable. I've got a Super Nintendo...
that's from a year and a half ago lol.

i guess technically i'm about to buy a PS5 just for Miles Morales, unless other launch exclusives are announced. every third party game i'll play on Series X

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not proud to admit it, but I guess I have. I bought the Gamecube and Wii just for Smash Bros games, the Xbox, Xbox360 and PS4 just for DOA games and the PS4 Pro just for FFXV.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Technically the main reason i got a next gen console last time was to play BF4 at 60fps and 64 players.
So i guess yes.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
2950853-2899280-1434482240505.jpg

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
Original Xbox for Halo

Had no intention of getting an Xbox at all and was focused on picking up a Game Cube. After the systems launch I started reading more and more about how good Halo was. Ended up finding an Xbox on the shelf at Walmart before Xmas and snagged it with a copy of Halo. Was super happy I did.

Oct 25, 2017
I have purchased consoles primarily for a single game, but not just for that game.
I bought a 360 for Banjo Kazooie: Nut n' Bolts for example. There's a good chance I never would have bought one without that game.
But I had also been interested in trying out Halo and Gears, and a few other games, so I took the opportunity.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Yes, Halo. It was ahead of it's time in many ways on a game console. I also bought the SNES just for Super Mario World.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Rare Replay & enhanced oXbox/360 BC is the main reason I want an XBO as well.

Lunar: Eternal Blue is the reason I bought a Genesis & Sega CD. I ended up playing and enjoying other games on both, but Lunar:EB was the reason I bought them.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Dreamcast for Sonic Adventure

Ps2 for suikoden 3

Got lots of other games for both systems later

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda. I was perfectly happy with my NES as a kid until I was at a friend's house and saw Moonwalker on the Genesis. And I got a PS3 for MGS4.

Now, I say kinda because while I bought the consoles for just one game, I also knew there would be other stuff I'd eventually play.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Because I really want Rare Replay but don't want to buy an XBO just for that, and none of the other exclusives interest me in the slightest. I'm this close to biting for a compilation of old N64 games.
I mean, this is pretty much what I did back when it was new. LOL I knew I was going to at least play the Forza titles too, but Rare Replay was something I had to have! I've since played a ton of games on it; mostly multiplatform titles on my 1X via Game Pass. It's great for that.

I bought a Japanese N64 just for Super Mario 64. It's all I cared about at the time. Was worth it, and then I sold it once I was done with it. I would subsequently buy another N64 for games like Star Fox 64, Mischief Makers, Bangaio, Diddy Kong Racing, Paper Mario, Sin & Punishment, etc. Games felt like a trickle on that thing, but I had a great time overall with it.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I bought a Switch for the express purpose of being able to have a portable version of Sonic Mania.

I upgraded to a PS4 Pro specifically for Final Fantasy XV, but in the long run KH3 ended up getting the most benefits out of the hardware for me.

MasteroFlich

Banned
Jun 15, 2020
I only had Pokemon games for Gameboy, Advance SP and bought also DS only for Pokemon (though i played also bomberman, mariokart, diddy kong racing later...)

Since then I didnt buy one nintendo console, just sayin :D