• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Multiple times over the years. Primarily movies, but definitely a few shows / concerts.

Most notably I was at a Bad Brains concert where HR the singer refused to sing and wore a motorcycle helmet the entire time. I never thought it my wildest dreams the Bad Brains would ever get booed, but honestly he deserved it. Little did anyone know though my man had serious mental issues, which would later be revealed in the documentary about him Finding Joseph I

Oh, another classic one is I saw Metallica on the Master of Puppets tour. It was supposed to be Cliff Burton playing, but the bus crash happened. Show was delayed like 9 months or something like that. So I got to see them with Jason Newstead on like their 5th show with him.
Not only did the opening band Metal Church get booed off of the stage completely, the fucking crowd booed Jason Newstead himself. It was wild.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
People laughed the first time they heard the Bale Batman.

People booed at the end of Batman vs Superman.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't been to many with that sort of reaction.

The notable one to me was opening night for Spider-Man 3, with a ton of comic fans in the crowd at midnight. By the dance sequence the entire theater was openly clowning on the movie. Kind of funny thinking back.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Mortal Kombat Annihilation, mostly quiet crowd in the end, but one dude was heated he loudly said the movie sucked and wanted his money back and was telling everybody in line waiting to see it not to waste their money.

Phantom Menace was mostly stunned silence and than murmuring that I could only describe as disapproval.

Batman V Superman, got some booos from some group in the corner, everybody else was quiet mostly. My friend was pissed and loudly expressed how shit the movie is, like obnoxiously loud so everyone can hear him.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not booing, but after Alien Covenant my friend and I joined up with like 20 other people and spent the next 10 minutes picking apart every facet of that shitfest.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
No but I've been to a couple of movies were 1/3 the cinema walked out lol...

One was Cronenberg "Crash" and it was specially bad witj Gaspart Noe's "Irreversible" (I liked them both for the record)

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Brightburn, the movie about the evil superman kid.

It wasn't crazy or anything but it was in a smaller theater room. You could hear the disdain from people. Mini boo's, the sarcastic wow's and someone even said "that was the shittiest movies I ever seen" I agree.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The Village, that theater was pissed and one guy was laughing like the movie broke his mind

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
No, but I was at Species II (bad weather and I had to kill some time waiting for someone that was delayed due to said weather) and the reel broke in the last 10 minutes. The manager informed us that they could fix it quickly and finish the screening. Out of the 10 or so people in the audience, no one stayed to find out how it ended. I wasn't even ready to go, I just wandered around the connected mall for awhile instead.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm sure I have, but I'm mostly drawing a blank.

I remember audible groans at the end of Infinity War, but not because the audience hated the movie. Although, there was audible laughter and groans at the "Thanos Will Return" at the end of the credits.

Then, for Rise of Skywalker, there were groans and "what the fucks" at the kiss, (I was one of them), but cheers at the "Rey Skywalker." Overall, my audience seemed to enjoy the film (I honestly did too, as dumb as it can be sometimes).

I generally don't dwell on shitty movie experiences I've had, so I'm having a hard time recalling the last truly awful movie I saw where the audience was just pissed by the end lol

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I've seen numerable bad movies in the theaters and this has never happened. Closest were with the Last Airbender and the Last Jedi, where an excited theater was completely emotionless for most of the movie (Rise of Skywalker didn't really have the excitement the first two movies in the sequel trilogy had pre-showing, so it doesn't even really qualify).

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
One I remember is a Smashmouth concert at a county fair sometime around 1997. People started shooting laser pointers at the band as well when they were playing. They stopped playing and threatened to stop and leave and someone in the audience shouted 'Youuuu suuuuck!'.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The closest I got was in Rise of Skywalker, when the big kiss was mostly met with groans & uncomfortable laughter.
Yup

I've seen bad movies with audiences, but Rise of Skywalker opening night had people rolling their eyes at everything intending to be a "cheer" moment.

Batman v Superman had similar groans of disbelief. The second little boy Bruce Wayne started being lifted by bats and the audience stated laughing, you knew "oh no... this is going to go so the wrong way."

Last edited:

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I've been booing internally after catching each of the past 3 Christopher Nolan films in theatres.
I would've joined in to audible booing had there been some.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Cats definitely had a lot of groans and people getting up a leaving in public displays. Lot of audible laughs at moments not meant for comedic values. I think I remember people clapping when it was over, but not for how good the movie was.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Once, it was when the trailer for Cowboys Vs Aliens came on at one of the last Harry Potter movies. When the title appeared at the end people were like "Are you fucking kidding me?" mixed with laughter and some groans.

Mar 3, 2019
People who boo in theaters are jackasses with no self control. Just like talking and being on your cellphone, don't come to the theater if you have so little self control

Ajax125

Nov 15, 2017
The Last Jedi, the thread.

I would say Rise of Skywalker, but TLJ left such a pour taste in my mouth that I didn't even want to bother seeing how the series ended.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Phantom menace at a packed premiere and then again at Attack of the clones and flash forward to The Last Jedi. I'm also just realizing that for both the Prequels and the Sequels I gave up on both those trilogies and did not watch the third movies at the theater and have not bothered at all with rise of the skywalker.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is reminding me I don't see a lot of movies in theater. Maybe when things get better here

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The closest I got was
I don't remember if there were boos at the end, but
Never outright boos, but
Nah. Seventh Son was close, but
Not exactly booed at the end, but
Can't recall any where ppl booed but
Not that i remember.
The closest I can really recall wasn't for a movie but for a trailer:
I don't recall if they were outright boos but
People didn't boo at the end of Midsommar at my packed screening, but
Not at the actual movie, but
Not sure about actual boos because
Don't think anyone booed loudly at the end but
I've never experienced booing but
Haven't experienced booing at the end, but
I can't recall if anyone actually booed it, but
Never seen boos. But
Episode 3 didn't end with boos, but
This is where I'm at.

People groaning, laughing? Sure.

But legit, dramatic, loud-ass booing at a theater screen? Does that ever actually happen??

Kid Night

Oct 27, 2017
There were laughy boos a few times at my Rise of Skywalker screening as well. The kiss (of course) someone literally yelled out "that's so stupid!" Rey Skywalker was another. A full theater was almost totally quiet when it was over.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
This is where I'm at.

People groaning, laughing? Sure.

But legit, dramatic, loud-ass booing at a theater screen? Does that ever actually happen??
Hobbit 2 ending was the only one for me. I saw Nutty Proffesor 2, audience hated that and kept walking out (especially the part where the giant hamster has sex with the dean), but still didn't boo.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
literally one person max said TLJ

Most people thought that film was fine/good, despite was the enlightened dorks of the world say.

I enjoyed TLJ, the audience was very quiet compared to TFA and had awkward laughs at hobo Luke, but no boos. There was an amusing "eh.." when Snoke died.
Desolation was still a decent movie (thanks to Smaug) compared to Battle of the Five Armies, which was watchable at best.
I agree, the audience seem to quite like the film at the time, it was more the cliffhanger.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I remember audible confusion with a few boos coming out of The Crimes of Grindelwald and it's reveal that Credence was a Dumbledore (Somehow?)

Also, my local cinema sometimes do mystery screenings, idea is it's a £5 ticket and the film could as secret screening of something (Normally an upcoming film to gauge interest) there's been some good stuff here with Battle of the Sexes, Ford VS Ferrari and even Incredibles 2 at one point. But the time it turned out to be Book Club? That was the most "Awwgh" I heard in a cinema ever, with a mass leaving of people using the leave in 5 minutes to get a refund system.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I enjoyed TLJ, the audience was very quiet compared to TFA and had awkward laughs at hobo Luke, but no boos. There was an amusing "eh.." when Snoke died.

I agree, the audience seem to quite like the film at the time, it was more the cliffhanger.

I had a very different experience with TLJ when I saw it, it ended with the audience applauding, which was cool.

Now, TROS was a dead silent theater leaving it.

WhatATimeToBeAlive

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Finland

Snoke's throne room fight was still (imo) one of the best fight scenes ever. The coechocraphy and the (guards) visual design was dope.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The ending was the problem. I came to post the same thing, I had never experienced an entire theatre audibly groan and start complaining like the end of desolation of Smaug.

Also knowing the book, there wasn't more of Smaug left from it, you know Lake Town was the end of Smaug when Bard harpoons it's weak point.

You think with how it ended, they were going to expand on Smaug for the final film, but nope, he's literally out before even the title shows up.

WhatATimeToBeAlive

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Finland
The ending was the problem. I came to post the same thing, I had never experienced an entire theatre audibly groan and start complaining like the end of desolation of Smaug.
Yeah, the ending sucked. There was only the quick destruction of the town and the quick death of Smaug left. Though, it probably was a quite good cliffhanger for those who haven't read the book.

Last edited:

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
The front row was loud booing when Leonidas missed the javelin throw at Xerxes in 300. Didn't stop heckling for the rest of the movie.