• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed a thread on this forum about a possible Cloverfield sequel and it brought back a memory of watching Cloverfield in the theater on opening night. As Cloverfield ended and the credits started to roll, most of the audience in the theater with me started to loudly boo with a couple of people proclaiming how much the movie they just watched sucked.

It really took me aback at the time, as I never encountered such a negative visceral reaction in a movie theater before or since. I've paid to see plenty of bad movies in theaters over the years, but the audience usually just leaves stone faced or quietly griping to friends and family on the way out. Something about Cloverfield really pissed off the audience that night.

I was wondering if anyone else had any stories of a movie or show that wound up making the audience hate it?

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug.

Nothing else IMO comes close to the immediate disdain my packed theater expressed when it smash cut to credits with Smaug flying to Lake Town.

Oct 28, 2017
Not boo'd but I heard a lot of annoyed "oh my god" when Fellowship of the Ring ended. I think people actually thought they'd get to Mordor at the end of that movie.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I don't remember if there were boos at the end, but one film the audience I was with largely didn't like was Ang Lee's Hulk. I personally thought it was pretty good, though.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
coincidentally, same for me with cloverfield. By the end of the movie I was beaming with how much I loved that movie. Complete opposite for the rest of the theater. One guy even loudly on the way out went "WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT", and then he went and argued with one of the poor employees preparing to clean the theater for his money back

Last edited:

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
Never outright boos, but The Rise of Skywalker came close. "I'm Rey Skywalker" and the kiss got audible groans. It's far from the worst film I've seen at the theater (that dubious honor goes to the dreadful Mr. Turner), but that didn't get any groans.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
No Country for Old Men

Someone yelled "That's it?!?"

There was also a lot of laughing at the end of It Comes At Night.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Closest I got I think was probably BvS. When it finished Everyone just walked out in silence. Not a peep from anyone throughout the movie. It was weird.

Oct 29, 2017
Once, I walked out on a Pearl Harbor midnight movie. I then snuck into the next theater that had Shrek. I made the right choice. Edit: I audibly laughed at IT part 2 when Pennywise bit that kid. It made the rest of the theater laugh too.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Not at the end but I saw The Simpsons Movie at midnight and when it said "To Be Continued..." there were a lot of boos and someone even threw their half filled bucket of popcorn at the screen lol

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I definitely got a few boos at the kiss in Rise of Skywalker.

I also got "awww"s at the end of Infinity War but that's hardly the same thing.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Seventh Son was close, but it was just me and my wife, so we didn't see the point in booing for just us

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
I saw a screener of Rise of Skywalker where others have said met a good bit of laughter and groans towards the end.

My personal favorite was incredible reboot of The Hills Have Eyes. There's a segment, and if you seen it you know the one, that caused I'd say half the theater to walk out. Wow. People were pissed in my hodunk WV theater.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The closest I got was in Rise of Skywalker, when the big kiss was mostly met with groans & uncomfortable laughter.

Yeah, this and the "Rey Skywalker" thing. And laughter when the Emperor was defeated.

Groans and audible "What the fuck" comments for "Save Martha" in BvS, boos at the end of it. Scattered boos at the end of Justice League but not on the level of BvS. And once long ago one particular guy in my opening night screening really didn't like Cop Land. On his way up the aisle he continued to loudly complain and a guy he passed by yelled "FIRST MIRAMAX FILM, ASSHOLE?" to him and almost started a fight.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah but not because people were boo'ing the movie for being bad. Saw X-Files in the theater and around 15-20 mins prior to ending the fucking film caught on fire and melted. On the screen you just saw a black spot starting in the center and spreading out until it was all black. People boo'ed. Some also cracked lame ass jokes about how "the government doesn't want us to see the truth!"' and shit. Lol.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The closest was The Last Jedi - it was the only Star Wars movie I've been to opening night (which is all of them starting the prequels) in which at the conclusion the crowd was either silent, dejectedly murmuring amongst each other as they left, and/or visibly shaking their heads. When we got out there were lots of comments from people about how bad it was. My best friend let out a big sigh and giggled, his then fiancé said something along the lines of "wow.... so, I guess we can skip the last one now", and my date asked if all Star Wars movies were that bad (it was her first).

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
Loved being in a theatre during the tree of life, the audience went nuts at the end lol

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-man 3. When Peter starts crying at the end the audience laughed. About as close to a boo as I've experienced.

The best, tho: When I saw The Mist in theaters a woman absolutely lost. her. shit. Screaming at the screen at how what the main character was doing was a horrible decision. Then when the twist happens immediately after? "I TOLD YOU SO!" My friends and I were laughing so hard at her. lol Great movie! Only enhanced the experience, honestly.

Last edited:

Tristam

Oct 25, 2017
No Country for Old Men

Someone yelled "That's it?!?"

There was also a lot of laughing at the end of It Comes At Night.

lol, didn't see it in theater, but this was my brother's reaction at the ending of No Country. "Where's the rest of it?"

For me, I think I loudly groaned at the end of War of the Worlds - seeing Justin Chatwin's character having lived through his stupidity.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
No but I make it a conscious point not to even attend movies that have horrid word of mouth or look genuinely awful.

Fathead

Oct 31, 2017
My wife and decided to see a move for date night and it was her turn to pick. So we went to Knowing. We were the only two people in the theater. We booed at the end.

So yes.

Nick Cage owes me $20

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I seen Irreversible with an audience of old people since it was like a monday afternoon

Not exactly booed at the end, but lets just say that when it ended there were VERY little people in the theater =P

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
No one booing, but Rise of Skywalker definitely had the most people talking shit about it as we were filing out.

AwareSnake

Oct 27, 2017
Rise of Skywalker was the weirdest cinema experience. As everyone left, no one was saying anything. There was no one excited, no one angry; just everyone filing out of the cinema in complete silence.