• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Have you ever been a community leader?

• Yes, I volunteered to contribute to society

Votes: 266 73.7%
  • No, fuck the police

Votes: 69 19.1%
  • No, because people are dumb and wouldn't make me one

Votes: 26 7.2%

• Total voters

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ah, sweet memories of being a Mod on the MortalKombatOnline website.

They had a staff change-over though, things got weird, and all my character analysis threads got purged. Oh well.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I once modded Twitch chat for a friend who decided to stream his playthrough of Undertale.

There were only one or two dozen people watching him, but fucking hell. People wouldn't stop fucking backseating or dropping poorly veiled hints or spoilers, even though he wanted to play it blind.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I was mod for Kinda Funny on their forums, Twitch and Discord for a few years.

There were some incredible people in that community and in general it was really friendly and positive to be part of, I was particularly proud of being involved in the forums and helped get a lot of community events going. There's a lot I could say about Kinda Funny themselves and a few poisonous personalities involved in the community at that time but I'll leave it there.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. And yeah, people think you are the bad guy sometimes... But, like IRL, you pull people to the side, and talk it out. Let them know you aren't targeting them. Most people come away with a better understanding of why you modded them if you level with them. And they are less likely to be repeat offenders in the future. Heck, in some rare cases, I've had those people come back and start contributing in a positive way to our community. I wouldn't say I rehabilitated anyone, but some people respond better when you take a more personal approach to moderation with them. Respectfully, of course.

A lot of the time it is all just a big misunderstanding. Your job is to work along side the community you are a part of. Not stand above them like a god.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
I was an admin on a car enthusiasts forum about 15 years ago. The site is still up and running. I had a great time. Met some great people and even got paid a little for some extra work I did on the site.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Original GAF, it sucked, would not recommend modding for a forum or anything really.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah but before I found GAF I was a prominent member of a forum that's too explicit to name and was run by a guy named porky.

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
In the early 2000s I was a community moderator for Maxis/EA (SimCity, The Sims) for their forums and chat room.

I have fond memories of those times, but the internet was very different back then. I doubt I would want to deal with the nature of today's internet.

Full Nines

Apr 10, 2018
Was a mod on GameFAQs from early-mid 2000's. Was kinda fun for a while but it did turn into a bit of a slog.

Thankfully we didn't have to actually interact with the community; we just accessed a queue full of marked messages and our moderations were anonymous. One thing I remember most is the sheer number of things people will mark that are simply not ToS violations. They just marked them 'cause they either didn't like the person or the point they made. I really did spam that No Action button.

The worst ones were the "spoiler with no warning" messages. I was pretty harsh on those fuckers who did it intentionally.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Current mod of r/cordcutters. Been the unofficial head op in an IRC channel for 22 years.

...ok boomer.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I mooderated a matrix online forum many years ago, from reloaded to revolutions.

We did cooperative storytelling, it was awesome. But the ratio of people who lurked to contributing members was ming boggling. Only like 20 people actively created posts while thousands lurked.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, Halo Waypoint. The movie quotes and people were good. The tools were shit, probably changed by now. Moderating is not a volunteer job I would do anywhere again, requires too much time unless you want to "prove your worth" to attempt to progress with said company for employment etc.

Auron.90

Dec 3, 2017
Yes, I was a moderator in an Italian videogame forum, Gamesvillage (former Gamesradar), a few years ago. It was a pretty relaxing experience if not for the football section, but you know, for us Italians football is serious business. I'm still in contact with many of my former colleagues, they are cool guys.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
The closest I've ever come is being an officer in a medium-small WoW guild, so no, not really.
Moderators usually seem to be chosen from well-known, very visible members, and I don't generally bring that much attention to myself.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I actually have written a graphic novel called "I, Mod" which was about my 6 or so years as a moderator than writer for a site called Neowin in the mid 2000's.
Had some really interesting times, including but not limited to being flown out to cover CES twice when I was a writer.
Had a WHOLE lot of interesting times with members.
Initially before coming a Global Moderator, I was a Forum Moderator for the Gamer's Hangout section of the forums literally at pretty much the start at height of what was known / still is known as the "Console Wars."
Still may do the graphic novel one day. I think it was a different time overall.
Forums were more of a niche thing back then and definitely much more of a sense of community.
I also made some lifelong friends which is pretty bonkers. Still keep in touch with several of the members via Facebook, etc.
Fun times.

Last edited:

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Yes for IGN (handheld section) and AssemblerGames and most of my time was spent dealing with crap then actually offering value to the community. The only good one was when I was a big contributor to agbdev.net in the early 2000s.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Moderated years ago on a few smaller anime and tech forums. Cant imagine dealing with it now, the shitfuckery between members was already massive back then.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I mod a subreddit with around 30k subscribers, it's terrible and I sign in like once a month.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I ran a music BBS in NYC in the early '80s.

They Might Be Giants was a member.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was also an IGN mod for awhile. (I didn't realize there were so many of us here, lol.)

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah. Moderated for an MMO's official forums some time back on the side. Totally shit gig and I wouldn't do it again. Between folks complaining about this or that and jackasses arguing about bans and warnings they know they damn well earned, I said to hell with it. Folks behave as if it's a paid position and you've got nothing else to do but respond to PMs 24/7. Even seeing behavior here, I don't envy our mods, kudos to them.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I was the admin of a forum 20 years ago, very similar to this place.

Keeping trolls, drama, and toxicity at bay was a fucking gigantic pain in the ass because the mod team was too lenient. Whenever I'd step in and take care of things there would be outrage that I'd banned a "beloved" member of the community. I eventually washed my hands of the entire community and never went back.

flip

Oct 25, 2017
I was admin of the entirety of GameSpy's forum network, ForumPlanet at one point.

Never again.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never have been offered the job. When I first started hanging around forums, I thought being a mod was cool.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I was a mod and later a GM on Hattrick (browser based soccer sim game). I really enjoyed it but then I got a job requiring lots of travel and then kids and my available time to really do the job pretty much evaporated. I enjoyed it though, there were a few users that caused issues but overall it was a good community.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
No I have not. šŸ˜
1cVr7txjNFphzIzEbaFXhSyEKRUO01HVtS14GFAbJ4TDME2kRFZxfRTefF21L3LpF4wzSUmwhAYcaS2_cddL0BIhmGHwABgf_bBFSPfjshByLZ2UrTmpLdfFnRKzZjcz-XPEfZdXTRND69zrueYizvaWpSXRJ9Axhyw