• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you marathoned for prep?

• Yes

Votes: 57 59.4%
  • No

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • I will not watch Thor 2 The Dark World

Votes: 10 10.4%

• Total voters

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Be it a new movie, game, book, etc of something in a franchise you adore.
If there's ever a new entry in said franchise, do you typically go through a full series refresher in preparation for it?

I was considering doing one for Falcon & The Winter Soldier (watching all the Captain America and Avengers movies), but with only a day left, that's not happening.
I don't think I've done anything yet, though there were some times when I wanted to for some other Marvel stuff, but just never got to it.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I went to a 6-film marathon when the first Avengers film came out.

Ironman
Incredible Hulk
Ironman2
Thor
Captain America
The Avengers

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I rewatched all the Marvel movies start to finish for Endgame.

For stuff I've never seen before, I binged all of Samurai Jack before the fifth season. That's the most recent example I can think of.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My xbox got stolen between Mass Effect 2 and 3 so I started going through the first 2 games before the 3rd one was released just so I have a save to carry. But then I was doing some Mako shit and it hit on me that no only would I have to do that for a while, I also gonna have to do scanning in the next game, and said fuck it.

That locked me of some "good" options in ME3 and billions of aliens died because of that, I hope whoever stole my xbox is happy (I really am, I had insurance and they actually paid more for the games than I would have ever been able to sell them so I think I came slightly ahead. unlike those poor poor aliens).

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Most recently, I played through Spider-Man in preparation for Miles Morales. Before that? Probably watching Stranger Things seasons 1 and 2 in preparation for season 3.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
As a kid I always reread all the previous Harry Potter books before the new one was set to release.

And before basically every Star Wars film I've marathoned the series prior. Outside of that, I don't think I have.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
No. I TRY to meet my responsibilities and consume things ar a normal rate.

It's tough. I am so overwhelmed by content.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I went to a one-sitting showing of the entirety of Nolan's Batman trilogy on the midnight release of TDKR. I watched all of the Star Wars OT leading up to the release of TFA, and the first two ST movies leading up to the release of TROS. Also, this hardly counts, but I played through the original FF7 as FF7R was about to release and then played FF7R.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I rarely do marathons in one sitting but I do like re-watch some things before the new one comes out. The last one I did was re-watching Christopher Nolan's work before Tenet came out.

I will rewatch the Daniel Craig Bond films before No Time to Die releases.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I watched all the MCU films in the lead up to Endgame but that's because we hadn't seen any of them past Iron Man.

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
Yeah but not marathoning in the sense I watch 6 movies without a break. More like a countdown movie-a-day kinda thing.

pez2k

Apr 21, 2018
Played through all of MGS to catch up for the release of MGS 5.

I did the same sort of thing back in 2012, except I did the whole Metal Gear series as I'd never played the two MSX games or Ghost Babel. The latter in particular is still a pretty great game, especially for the hardware it was on. I'm glad I didn't redo it a couple of years later before V, because the (120 hour) journey would have been much better than the destination.

As for doing it for new releases, once a release date for the ninth and final main Expanse novel is announced I'll be re-reading all of the previous material. I read them initially just after the 7th was released, so I've spent years just at the start of the final trilogy and it's killing me!

Jun 20, 2018
Not usually, but I wanted to re-watch some MCU movies before Wandavision. Funnily enough I just started it yesterday after going through Age of Ultron, Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame.. I know you said you don't have time to catch up before Falcon and Winter Soldier, but... you could just watch the episode next week? It's just one episode a week they're doing right, so not like you'll fall behind.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
Not that they're at all related, but I watched the Burton and Schumacher Batmans and Begins before The Dark Knight.

I think I might've watched the entire series leading up to the last Harry Potter film?

I watched the entire MCU last fall (having only seen about half of them before), so I'm all caught up for Black Widow whenever that finally comes out.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Played through MGS1,2 and 3 to get ready for 4. I don't know WHY I decided that I'd like 4 so much that I had to play all the others but I did. Played them back to back to be done in time for the launch.

...Played MGS1 without a memory card too so I tapped out at the torture scene so quickly.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I rewatched all of Breaking Bad in advance of El Camino. I watched Peter Jackson's entire filmography leading up to King Kong.

I replayed MGS 1-3 in advance of MGS 4 (and discovered I actually loved, not hated, MGS 2) and would replay every Phoenix Wright game before the new one came out. Stopped after 4, got far too unwieldy.

In reverse, I revisited FFVII after playing FFVIIR.

Oct 25, 2017
Before The Force Awakens released I went to a marathon of all 7 films at AMC and it was one of the best worst experiences of my life.

neferteetee

Oct 28, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I used to do rereads of ASOIAF when new books would be released. Whenever he releases Winds of Winter I'll do a reread for sure because it's been a really long time.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
nah ill read the wiki or something to quickly catch up if im a bit shaky on some plot points

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. Fuck no.
If it's a "franchise you adore", then shouldn't you be very familiar with it already?

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This week I've watched Captain America 1 & 2, Avengers, and Black Panther. Not really a marathon though.

Oct 27, 2017
For movies, sure. Especially since my partner had not seen a lot of movies so I've introduced her to a lot of stuff...I remember we watched every Star Wars prior to the release of episode 9.