• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only the Destiny season pass for me.

Im kind of nervous in general about buying DLC for games that could be removed from the service, though that's less of a concern with MS owned stuff, I hope.

What gets me is stuff like Morrowind only releasing the base version on game pass. It's not as if I can go buy DLC for that game, it kind of sucks not having the bug fixes that came with the expansions to a 19 year old game.

Jun 15, 2020
Oh yeah, a bunch. And if the game is leaving the surface and you still want access to it in the future, you get a 10% discount on it.

Mad Gamer 64

Nov 6, 2017
Yes, I bought the Forza Horizon 4 expansions and a few cosmetics in Sea of Thieves. I don't plan on canceling my subscription anytime soon so I have no issues with doing so, and if I did cancel it someday it's not as if I didn't get my money's worth out of the stuff I bought. There's always the option to buy the games on sale at some point if I want to access it again.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I bought Just Cause 3(?) DLC that was on sale after I got it free from PS+. I ended up not playing it but for other reasons.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
No, never. And I don't think I will in this model. I talked about why here:

www.resetera.com

Gamepass is amazing, but I feel like the way it handles DLC is a weak link

Gamepass is an extraordinary service, and I've played many games that I might have missed otherwise (right now I'm semi-playing Greedfall). What I have not done in this timeframe is play any DLC for those games because I don't feel paying the price for them is worth it. The way it works is that...

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm almost never going to do any additional spend on a game in a sub service, whether it's Game Pass or PS+. The only exception so far was Resogun's season pass, although it turns out I think I own it even though it was a PS+ freebie, due to some quirk of how they handled cross-buy or something.

It's disappointing to see there's no way to get your Windows FH4 save game over to Steam, if you say you wanted to own the entire package there but not have to restart from the beginning. That's a crappy way to force people to stay in the ecosystem. Is Doom Eternal the same way? I played that on GP and I'd consider buying the full package on Steam.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
Seems like a lot of people bought FH4 DLC, you can include me too without buying it.

I also bought The Witcher 3 DLCs and I don't have the game, playing it on game pass was good enough.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I got the Lego expansion for Forza on cdkeys. Wasn't the greatest thing, but worth the money for some more stuff to do after exhausting most of the main game's challenges.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you still have to buy season passes for Destiny on xbox if you have game pass? I don't play the game anymore, but I thought the big deal was it was all bundled in with GP.
All the new content expansions are included in game pass, like the recent Beyond Light. Strikes, raids, new subclass stuff is all there.

However they also have multiple shorter seasons within an expansion that are more like the typical paid/free tiered battle pass you see in other games. It levels to 100 and there's usually an exotic and armor set tied to the paid one, with lesser stuff (crafting mats, etc) on the free levels.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I bought the Halo Wars 2 DLC and is worth every penny. So much fun.

I didn't actually pay anything though because I used rewards points lol.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Yeah. For sure. But only for stuff that is Xbox First Party stuff. Less likely to leave GP

There's a 10% discount for most of the DLCs and frequent sales.

If I was going to get DLC for a game that could leave, I would most likely do it and just get the game cheap afterwards.

Oct 29, 2017
Im kind of nervous in general about buying DLC for games that could be removed from the service, though that's less of a concern with MS owned stuff, I hope.

Well the kind of ironic part is that everyone is saying Forza Horizon 4, and that's the one first party title that certainly will leave Game Pass eventually. :) Not too concerned though as we'll have warning and it will be cheap before the end.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Every Minecraft Dungeon DLC - and with my MS Rewards points too. All gravy baby

Jan 4, 2018
I think I bought:

- Halo Wars 2: Awakening the Nightmare
- The Outer Worlds Season Pass
- DOOM Eternal Season Pass
- Metro Exodus Season Pass
- Prey Mooncrash + Typhon Hunters

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I think I bought DLC for Vermintide 2.

Doesn't really concern me. If I'm deep enough into a game that I'm getting DLC, I'll probably just buy the game if it's about to leave GP and I'm still playing it. Plus you get a discount on buying GP games when you're a sub too.

First party games are even less of a concern, because they won't leave the service - aside from MAYBE Forza due to licenses. But in those cases they give the game away for almost nothing before it is removed anyway.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Yes, for third party games included. some of those games i intend to buy before they leave the service like dead cells

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
I bought ODST for MCC (was considered as DLC at the time) and some Football Manager DLC.

Dec 11, 2017
I always buy the full game first, even though I technically don't need to if I maintain a Game Pass subscription.

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017
Like others have mentioned, I also bought the Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate add-on when it was on sale. It was definitely worth it.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not yet, but I will with Doom Eternal and Monster Train in the next few weeks here.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Nope. It's paying money for the Game Pass and additionally for a game I won't own but need a subscription for to run it.

I either get via Game Pass I already pay for me or I buy the whole package so I'm not subscription-dependent.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, tons. You actually get a discount (up to 20%) on anything related to Game Pass games (so buying the game, DLC, mtx) if you're a Game Pass sub.

Anything first party (like the Bethesda stuff in your example) will be on Game Pass forever so you're fine and safe there. I've bought DLC for third party games that I'm enjoying. I figure that if I'm enjoying them enough to buy additional content for them then I'll just buy the game outright if it's due to leave Game Pass at any point. Buy it before it leaves and you get the discount on it. Fine.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Nope and I never will, I'll rather buy the GOTY on Steam or GOG, it's way more convenient. MS Store prices are insane on PC, and their version is objectively worse in any case (f**k UWP).

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Why would it be ? There's only one store, and Game Pass games are the same that discs or keys or xbox store games. It's only a matter of licence.

I wouldn't know which is why I asked lol

If the DLC is tied altogether across all Xbox fronts then I have

-All Forza horizon 3 DLC
-All Forza horizon 4 DLC

Oct 25, 2017
No because I'm playing on PC and buying DLC on game pass there would tie me more to the Microsoft Store which is not a very good idea.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Nah, seems like a bit of a dumb idea to me. If I'm willing to fork over money for the DLC, I might as well buy the game outright to ensure that it's never taken away from me.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't yet but I wouldn't have a problem doing so. Im generally not a huge DLC guy

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
I bought The Witcher 3 DLC when it first hit Game Pass but dropping it out of rotation around March mess I'll need to buy the game now that it's leaving. At the time, the complete edition would regularly sell for $20. Now it's down to 15 but I'll likely be paying $20. It doesn't deter me from buying DLC as the situation is my own doing. Future single-player DLC purchases will just have to be done with immediate plans to play.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Forza Horizon would be the exception to that. Previous Horizon games (Horizon, Horizon 2 and Horizon 3) have all been delisted from sale due to licensing contracts expiring for the soundtracks, so once Horizon 4's contracts expire, it'll likely be delisted too.

Maybe but by that time it'll be very cheap to buy or they'll give it away on gold.