• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Well yeah, 2 games I really like are Super Lucky's Tale and Ori and the Blind Forest. Although I do not own an Xbox One, I'd really like to own them in physical format and they're only available there.
For the record I did buy a physical copy of New Super Lucky's Tale on the Switch, but honestly some levels are so different that you could definitely say they're basically two different games.

In my defense I'll say that I'll probably buy an Xbox Series X in the future, so I may be able to use them after all.

So what about you, have you bought games for a platform you don't even own? If so, why?

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've never done this. The only time has been when the console was being shipped to me and the game happens to arrives first.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
PC-98 and PC Engine CD games. I don't own a PC-98, I don't have room for one, and buying one without being in Japan is a bit of a pain (as is the shipping). I go emulation only for that system. I'm emulation only for PC Engine CD games too, although I do intend to actually buy a console at some point.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I had AC Black Flag before I had the PS4 to play it on but I did not buy it without any plans to get the platform so technically no.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
Picked up a couple of PSP games (gangs of London, Liberty City stories) in a charity shop a while back even though I don't have a PSP. Will get around to it some day.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Super Mario Galaxy. I knew when I found a Wii for the right price it would be special. I was right!

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
Only when I know for sure that I'll be getting that platform in the near future. Import games with special edition goodies are a rare exception.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I randomly found a copy of Kakuto Chojin for three bucks, which prompted me to buy a modded Xbox a week later.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Just retro-vintage stuff.

Got box/complete copy of Pac-Man (2600) and an unopened copy of AD&D - Treasure of Tarmin (Intellivision)...the former being my Most Disappointing Game of All Time and the latter being an easy pick for Top 5 of the era.

Also have a few loose carts like Haunted House (2600) and SimCity (SNES).

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
That I don't own yet. I've bought a couple Switch games, for my Animal Crossing Switch that is currently in transit. It's late because of COVID-19, but it's coming soon.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
No not that I can think of but even though I buy games mostly on consoles since I prefer consoles I usually also buy them on steam when they go on deep sale or are about to be delisted so that I have the option to keep my library when consoles die and move to streaming only, can't be played with BC, or my actual console hardware dies. I have a good pc just prefer consoles but I don't want the "only" streaming future that's inevitable with them.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
i bought luigi's mansion and mario sunshine (which had a memory card in the box) for gamecube from a charity shop without owning a gamecube,it was at least a year (possibly two) before i got one.

i have some NA PS2 games but no way to play them.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I had AC Black Flag before I had the PS4 to play it on but I did not buy it without any plans to get the platform so technically no.
Out of interest... why? It's not like non-CE games are scarce and need to be snapped up while they can. On the contrary, they drop in value pretty fast so it's highly likely you'd have saved money if you waited until you had the console. Unless we're talking a matter of days?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I know I spend too much money on games, but that's something I would never do.

Closest would be when I was waiting the Vita 2000 to be released, and I was already buying Vita games.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Out of interest... why? It's not like non-CE games are scarce and need to be snapped up while they can. On the contrary, they drop in value pretty fast so it's highly likely you'd have saved money if you waited until you had the console. Unless we're talking a matter of days?
Yeah, it was days, a week at most, and was before the PS4 was out. Why they were selling PS4 games a week before the console was out I don't know. I just remember having AC Black Flag before the PS4 was even for sale. I was waiting for Day One to buy the console and thought having a game ready to go immediately was a thing to do.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
most stores were selling ps4 games and accessories before the console launched. I had knack, killzone shadowfall, and a dualshock 4 controller+controller charger all like a month before the system came out

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Only when I lived with people who had the system and therefore I was still able to play the game.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I have Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, but no Xbox console to play them on. But I did own one previously.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Sure. Back in the days when gamestop had cheap preowned games and I didn't have all the consoles. It's actually a wierd and wonderful feeling to get a console and already own the must haves. Imagine buying a ps4 now with god of war, spider-man, horizon zero dawn, days gone etc etc just waiting for you to play.

Jan 3, 2019
I bought Cosmic Star Heroine and Mercenary Kings when they were on sale on PS4 with the intent of playing the Vita versions when they finished porting. Does that count?

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Breath of the Wild on launch date... I knew I gonna get a Switch later, but that took until end of that year (2017).

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I've bought PC games without having a PC that could run them properly. I've always had a PC obviously, but having a PC that can play games is not so cheap or practical sometimes.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I used to trade my SNES with my friends' Genesis to play some of his games and vice versa (before I got one later on). I bought a copy of Phantasy Star 2 to play on my friend's Genesis because I was dying to play that game. Totally worth it!

Vince-DiCola

Banned
May 22, 2019
Culloden
When I was still a huge Halo fanboy I bought as much Halo stuff as I could. I worked in a game shop so I bought a lot including Halo CE and Halo 2 Vista.
I have never owned a gaming PC in my life

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Before I got a PS2 I bought a copy of Katamari Damacy because it just looked so cool and I figured I'd play it at a friend's house since I knew a bunch of people with PS2s. Then Shadow of the Colossus came out and I broke down and bought one for myself.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've bought games before I owned the system they're on, with the expectation that I'd play them eventually, like Breath of the Wild Collector's Edition on Switch.

I do have a PSP copy of the Silent Hill Experience, but that was gifted to me even though I don't have a PSP.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure I've done this in the past, and I'm thinking about doing this right now actually. It's like... I do this because I'm planning to get that console eventually anyways.

Like, I'm going to get a Switch someday, so I've been eyeing getting a physical copy of DQXI (and the DQ1-3 collection) and kinda want to get a physical copy of Panzer Dragoon and Katamari for when I do.

I honestly can't remember doing this much in the past, but I know I have. Like I bought some PS3 games before I finally got a PS3 (like the day after they revealed The Last Guardian lmao 😐), and I guess this sorta counts: I got Rogue Leader like a couple days before the Gamecube launched. I got my Gamecube on Black Friday that year, so it was only just a few days before I could get the actual console (I read the EFF outta that manual over and over lol. I was so hyped).

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I bought Super Mario Sunshine the day it came out, but I didn't buy a Gamecube until the next day, because the shop I went to only had black Gamecubes in stock and I wanted the purple (sorry, "indigo") one to match my GBA.

But that's about it. Nowadays I get pretty much every system the day they come out, though.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
I bought Metroid Samus Returns Legacy Edition for the Nintendo 3DS, I never owned a 3DS.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I bought a few Wii games before launch since Gamestop was selling them early. I had the console pre-ordered though so I guess it kinda doesn't count.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I own some pc engine and sera cd games. Though at least I can put them in my Xbox and play them from the discs

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Just retro titles for systems that I might not have a great way of playing on at that moment.

Fortunately right now that only includes old PC games that I like to physically have but still have to go to gog.com or elsewhere to actually get a working copy for Windows 10.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
The closest I can say on this is as a horror collector who lives to support the scene, I've bought VR horror games despite not owning a VR headset yet, though I do plan to down the line.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
i purchased sunset overdrive from the microsoft store (physical copy) because it was like $4 shipped

no plans to ever get an xbox tbh, my ps4 backlog is huge

but i want pso2 so idk :3

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Bought Sonic Adventure 2 for Dreamcast just to play it in a friends house. I didn't even had a Dreamcast myself

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I think I bought both a PS2 and 360 game before I bought those systems but in both cases I was buying the system in the next few days so it probably really doesn't count.