• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How now brown cow

• Hard as a stale acorn

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Somewhat of a pain

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • Not too bad

Votes: 51 29.8%
  • Easy peasy

Votes: 61 35.7%

• Total voters

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I'm kinda looking at the availability in anticipation of the spate of incoming jrpgs for it. How hard is it to get one this year?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's a lot easier to get one now than it was last year. Absurdly easier. I got mine from a website without too much trouble back in late winter/early spring and they've only become more available since.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
It doesn't seem it is too hard right now, but, for the region I'm looking, it seems that most restocks that are happening weekly are for bundles. The bundles mostly look like this: PS5 with Horizon + extra controller. Sometimes it also includes a charging station or another game. If you want just the base console, that seems to be rarer.

At least that is my perspective for Canada and looking at the past links I'm seeing in restock groups/twitters/discords.

FreeangelGP05

Oct 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Bought one for my wife about a month ago.

Outside of having to wait in an online queue, was easy. Just keep up to date on when the drops are for different retailers and you can get one fairly easily.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Got mine in March by signing up for notification through PlayStation direct. Waited 2 minutes in queue and got a disc version with 0 issues.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
In my experience here in Germany ai see regular listings but they are gone really quickly.

Feel like mentioning the country is good context.

McQueeno

Nov 7, 2019
I actually bought one in-store a couple weeks ago—at a Best Buy in the US. I don't know if that's becoming more common, but they had significantly more on hand than I expected.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
A friend asked me to help him get one. Pretty easy but I did have to run through hoops. I'm on a Discord, with alerts on availability. Got an alert, went right away, got one.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
Got my PS5 last October, but I did see some dude just picking one up at my local Gamestop like two weeks ago.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Readily available at GameStop in Toronto now. You have to buy a game or controller with it or something. Annoying in principle, but like, Is anyone seriously going to complain? You're going to buy a game anyway, lol.

xewind

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I got my PS5 on launch day, but I've been trying to help some friends to get theirs and on January a friend sent me a message saying that he saw a post in Facebook that PS5's arrived to the best buy 3 mins from where I lived. So I just told my wife's cousin that was at the house at the moment to go with me and arrived there as fast as I could.

Manage to get two PS5 each one of them. I didn't tell my second friend about this, so I just arrived with the PS5 the next to his house and he couldn't believe it lol.

Last edited:

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Honestly, I can't see how someone can say it is "Easy peasy" when we can't just simply walk into a store and buy one whenever we want. I guess someone can say "easy peasy" for being lucky, but restocks are still an issue and people are still looking for alerts. But for sure it is better than before.

Readily available at GameStop in Toronto now. You have to buy a game or controller with it or something. Annoying in principle, but like, Is anyone seriously going to complain? You're going to buy a game anyway, lol.
I am lol. But I'm in a really specific situation and I don't want to buy Horizon right now.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I've had my PS5 since launch day. Saw my first one in the wild at walmart the other week. It was just 1 and it was the Horizon bundle.

Apr 27, 2018
It was somewhat hard to get one through out the year, at least for me. Now, it's really easy to get one if you sign up via PlayStation Direct.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Pretty easy, but I think it was luck / good timing. I bought one back in Feb/March.

I just started following one of those stock checker twitter accounts, and within a week I secured one on Amazon (UK).

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I bought one in February and it only took me about two months of wait to get one. I didn't have to work too hard for it, just wait.

I was looking for a very specific pack, though, I could've gotten one earlier if I wanted to.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
They've significantly ramped up the last few months. Logging into PS Direct seems to be almost a guarantee to snag one at this point, whether you want a bundle or standalone is a different question (from what I've seen, no experience personally).

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I've had one since launch, but was able to snag a few for friends. They are not as easy as they could be but it's still pretty doable if you have the time to pay attention to drops for a couple days.

Oct 25, 2017
I had to buy BestBuy Total tech to get access to buy
Once I got my ps5 I refunded Total Tech in full so that was not hard lol

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I finally managed to get one in early may, granted i mainly play on pc and i didn't put a huge effort into it after i realized how dire the situation was after launch, i live in Sweden and it was a total pain in the ass, huge well organized scalper groups have a discord where they absolutely hoover up any ps5's dropped anywhere, i finally managed to get one from a online camera store weirdly enough, i am a frequent costumer there and for some reason they decided to sell ps5's without any mark-up, so they straight up called me when they got it in stock.

A friend manged to buy one last week from one of the big box electronic retailers without any form of pre-order so it seems like things have improved a bit now.

The console manufacturers will have to come up with a new system for the next console gen, probably some kind of system where you buy them directly from sony/microsoft/nintendo via your console online service accounts because scalpers have fully and totally destroyed the way new consoles are sold.

Jun 25, 2022
Still can't find one for MSRP and I won't be buying one until I do. The regular price for this console is $800 which is absolutely ridiculous. I can never imagine paying that much for a game console.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I can't see how someone can say it is "Easy peasy" when we can't just simply walk into a store and buy one whenever we want. I guess someone can say "easy peasy" for being lucky, but restocks are still an issue and people are still looking for alerts. But for sure it is better than before.

I am lol. But I'm in a really specific situation and I don't want to buy Horizon right now.
Ask for a gift receipt for each item when you purchase the whole bundle. Then a week later just come back with the Horizon still sealed with your gift receipt and get something else.

I did that when I bought my series X from GameStop and they forced a bundle on me. Worked like a charm.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
i got mine maybe 6 months ago - ps5 alerts on discord but everyones saying its a bit easier now. i had to buy a bundle at gamestop but it wasnt the worst.

good luck op

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Ask for a gift receipt for each item when you purchase the whole bundle. Then a week later just come back with the Horizon still sealed with your gift receipt and get something else.

I did that when I bought my series X from GameStop and they forced a bundle on me. Worked like a charm.
Ha! Thanks for the tip. I'm fairly new to buying stuff from Game Stop, so I'm glad for this.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Edit: oops you said this year. Sorry OP, ignore my post, it is irrelevant lol

I was lucky. I got mine at Kohl's a year or two ago? It was another online fiasco like Walmart, Direct and GameStop (the only other places I tried) except I guess nobody believed that Kohl's was actually selling playstations, so not as many people were trying / there were no bots to speak of.

Last edited:

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I was subscribed to a few Twitter feeds. It was Wario64 that eventually came through for me last June, but goddamn I was so very very sick of his tweets by the end.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
No. In retrospect I'm kinda glad we had the shortages though because if they were widely available I might have bought one, but with Miles Morales and Persona 3-5 on PC it's clear to me that everything I truly care about will come to PC now.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Got it from Playstation direct from the waiting list.
Had to wait a couple weeks to get my invitation time limited link, so not bad in the end.

Oct 27, 2017
Wario64 helps lol. Got mine at launch and helped a friend get his last year from ps direct. Haven't seen one in store but see series s and switch oled. No series X or ps5 in store so far but they could be going quickly still

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Its generally been very very hard to happen upon opportunities. That said, when the PS Direct PS5s went up last week, actually getting one from the site was easy as hell.

Midnight

Jan 5, 2018
It pops up a bit more often, but here where I live at least, every time the PS5 becomes available, it's being sold as a bundle with extra games and accessories at around €800. They don't even allow to choose the games and what not.

So for the time being, I've given up on trying to buy one, and even decided a couple of months ago to exchange my PS4 Slim for a Pro to take better advantage of my TV and I've been super satisfied. The higher resolutions do make a difference.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Wasn't bad for me. All I had to do was drive to my GameStop and wait in line for an hour. I showed up 15 minutes before the store opened. I paid extra because it was a bundle, but it was still worth it to me.

Would have been easier in normal times, but I have money and I don't want to waste too much time looking. This was on June 28.

WardFail

Jul 30, 2022
United States
If you're having trouble finding a PS5 in America, just subscribe to tweets from Wario64 on twitter. Yes he tweets a lot and yes he will fill up your phones notifications with a lot of marketing tweets.

BUT he will inform you like 30 to 60 minutes ahead of time when PS Direct forms a queue on the store front. The last few times I followed his PS5 tweets, it seemed that stock lingered a couple of hours after Sony initially let people in.

All this to say that if you want to purchase a PS5 system at MSRP without being forced to purchase bundled crap then put up with this tweets for a week or two and enjoy your new console.

edit: I purchased the PS5 Disc Edition Horizon bundle a month or so ago following his tweets just to have a untouched console in case the blu-ray JB thing ever leads to anything

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
I got the PS Direct invite.. but they would not accept my credit card... so I lost my opportunity there... I am also in the caribbean, so I can't just walk in a walmart... Now i'm waiting for Amazon's PS5 purchase invite to go through

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
Have digital PS5s been popping up, along with the disc version and FW bundles? A coworker asked me to try and find him one but he wants a digital version.

Oct 30, 2017
Picked one up at game stop about three weeks ago. Had to buy a bundle package, but got the digital one I wanted. Loving it so far

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Fairly easy in the UK. I still have notifications switched on for the MSTV discord and they come out multiple times a week at the moment. Pretty sure Amazon dropped twice in the last 7-10 days

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
Got mine in January.

Got an alert on my phone saying target should have them available online in the next 30 minutes. I hit F5 for ~20 minutes straight and instantly added to my cart once the page updated. I got an error trying to buy but eventually the purchase went through. Went and picked it up a few hours later.

Overall it wasn't too bad. Just required patience and good timing.

Patrese86

Jun 6, 2021
I got two PS5's on launch (one for me and my son) but I know availability is getting better here in the UK as I get around a dozen notifications a day now about them being in stock with different retailers.