• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It was really cool at first but now I'm kinda over it.

And I'd be fine if I never saw Bowser Jr. again.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Bringing back best Koopa Ludwig makes this an easy "yes".

The only negative to me is more on the NSMB sequels repetitive boss fights but that's not exactly the fault of the koopalings

Loved seeing them in kart and smash, it's kinda like there's a koopaling for everyone.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I love them! Having them as skins in Smash is great and unlike others I think their inclusion in Mario Kart 8 is great. Don't hate on the good inclusions, hate on the over abundance of baby characters, Mario, and Peach reskins!

Iggy is best boy!

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I love them.

I almost didn't buy Mario Maker 1 because it was only Boom Boom in there.

I'm still sorta sad you couldn't put them in Mario Maker levels :(

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love them and main them in Smash Bros. Having so many different skins to play as in one character rocks.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I don't get the complains on their presence in Mario Kart, to be honest. If anything, they are way more deserving of a spot each than character variants like Metal Mario, smaller enemies like a Shy Guy or something and made up Babies.. (Daisy and Rosalina in particular). Major (and named) characters debuted in mainline Mario games and not some generic filler, I don't see the harm at all.

In fact, Mario Kart needs Kamek (that was robbed a spot twice.. poor guy), Boom Boom and Pom Pom

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda actively dislike them - they feel like a relic of the '80s that doesn't really jive with the modern Mario world, IMO. It was cute that they came back but then they stuck around and lost the novelty factor

That plus they're super boring as boss fights. NSMB DS had fun things like a Monty Mole riding in a tank or Petey Piranha in 2D, but now it's just "oh it's the Koopalings again". NSMBU did some fun things with them but I still just wish they invented new characters or twists on old enemies.

Also Bowser Jr. does their job just as well and has a much cuter design

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah. They have good designs, and beating a whole gaggle of colorful Koopalings is better than fighting Bowser 8 times. They make some nice filler for the party games too.

Nov 17, 2017
I have no nostalgia for them so to me they just seem overused and annoying. They should get rid of all of them except Roy. Roy is cool.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciated the comeback in Superstar Saga, but it very quickly became too much IMO. They're all so similar to one another that seeing them in Mario Kart 8 makes them feel like complete filler; not much different from Raccoon Mario or Cat Peach. I would've gladly traded all of them away for just E. Gadd or something.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To think bowser has to rescue peach from mario in order for that mother to be re-united with her children....

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
The Koopalings were dormant for so long after their appearance in Super Mario World on the SNES. I want to say there was a 13 year gap from SMW in 1990 to their next appearance in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

Ten years:

5EvbhhV.png

1993's Yoshi's Safari features mechs piloted by each of the Koopalings.

YO27rCM.png

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
in... in SMW they literally share fights
Iggy/Larry, Morton/Roy, and Lemmy/Wendy

only Ludwig had an original fight then
SMB3 even more, to be frank; with the change on the projectile (Wendy, for example) and the weight of a couple (Roy and Morton, I believe) causing a earthquake when they jump

if anything, NSMB Wii onwards gave them much better battles that fit each of their personalities

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I love them! As a huge fan of Mario 3 (and the cartoon) they were always in my mind when I played Mario games. I actually hated Bowser Jr. because he seemed to have just become the replacement and I was bitter towards him because of that lol.

But their re-appearance in Mario & Luigi GBA (I think it was?) for the first time in aaages made me so happy, then returning to the proper 2D Mario games too, it all made me feel really happy. :D

Regardless of whatever the 'official lore' is, I just consider Bowser Jr. the newest member of the Koopa Kids.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Regardless of whatever the 'official lore' is, I just consider Bowser Jr. the newest member of the Koopa Kids.
the new secret lore is that the Koopalings are adopted because Bowser's offscreen wife thought she couldn't conceive until a stork crashed into their castle one day with Jr. in tow

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they are MUCH better than Bowser Jr.
And I dont give a fuck what Miyamoto says, they are still Bowser's kids.
They still should be use in a big Mario 3d adventure, making every battle with each of them unique.

I will never undertand the complains of overexposure either. Mario Kart have fucking baby and matalic characters, the Koopalings have all interesting designs. And they are skins in smash not taking away from any space on the roster.
And the main games didnt have overexposure from them either, Bowser jr appears in nearly all the fucking games ffs, if someone has overexpsure is that shitty baby bowser designed brat.

They should also bring back Tatanga and Wart.

Last edited:

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
SMB3 even more, to be frank; with the change on the projectile (Wendy, for example) and the weight of a couple (Roy and Morton, I believe) causing a earthquake when they jump

if anything, NSMB Wii onwards gave them much better battles that fit each of their personalities
Too bad that it means nothing when you jump of them because at that point they may as well be palette swaps of each other, they should have made it so that they have a moment of invincibility because not only you don't see them being unique but it also makes the "fights" take less than 30 seconds

Last edited:

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like them. It was cool to bring them back once or twice but they have been used so much.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Yes, I always loved the Koopalings- my only issue is for me they were originally portrayed as Bowsers children in Super Mario 3, which of course I loved the concept. Then they introduced Bowser Jr. in Sunshine as Bowsers son (and the Koopalings were sort of ret-conned into just being henchmen of Bowser, instead of his children, with Bowser Jr being the only "child" of Bowser). I always hated Bowser Jr. as a result, but I eventually warmed up a little since he's here to stay.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't not mind them nor really hate them. They are being overused though and I would rather them make new enemies.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No. They were cooler when used every once in a blue moon. Now I hate them. Bowser Jr. is far better. Better roles and the best boss fights in the series.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Yeah. Super Mario Bros 3 needs more love and references. (Color Splash did it amazingly well, Odyssey also had a few cool refereces)

It was fine, but now I wish Tatanga to get some love.

Tatanga_in_Pagosu.png
While I'm not a fan of the Land games, I would love for Tatanga and other weird stuff from the first Land to return. Really hope Odyssey 2 goes even more into fan service and gives us a Sarasaland Kingdom, and a bunch of other Kingdoms/Lands we already know ! (Isle Delphino being my most wanted one)

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
2007 Mario fans: "Hey whatever happened to the Koopa Kids?" 2008-2020 Nintendo "You want Koopa Kids?! Have all the Koopa Kids in THE WORLD!"

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Like many in this thread, I was super happy when they were brought back, and I still love them in general, but I think they suffered from almost instant overexposure. Taking a more measured approach to their (re-)rollout would have been better.

On a related note, what's weirder is that I used to really dislike Bowser Jr. and just saw him as a poor man's Koopaling, and I don't know exactly what shifted or when/why, but I quite like him now and don't mind his role as Bowser's "actual" or favorite kid who gets preferential treatment.

Don't like how the Koopalings were retconned not to be related to Bowser anymore, though.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
100%. Sure they could be used in more interesting ways as bosses, but I love seeing them whenever they appear, and always used them in Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4/Ultimate.

Oct 25, 2017
It's like they stuck Troll dolls in Mario. Can't really say I care for them, especially when it feels like half of them have no distinct personality to speak of.

sku

Feb 11, 2018
I have a lot of nostalgia for them from playing smw as a kid, so yes. Side thought, but I remember as kids my brother and I discovered some website that had collections of art for each koopa kid. Can't remember what it was called but I'd love to find that again.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, i love getting worthless Bowser relatives no one gives a shit about instead of more interesting characters in Mario Kart.