• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I still have some hope that ASOIAF and Berserk will be completed

Vagabond, on the other hand... 😥

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really the same thing though. The Harry Potter books aren't nearly as complex as the likes of Wheel of Time, A Song of Ice and Fire or Dune.
They are books that can be read children or adults and while I personally like WoT and Song of Ice and Fire more I don't know if I agree with them not being as complex.

Her books are way more iconic than either of those series due to what an amazing writer she is. She is just a better writer (in my opinion) than either Jordan or Martin, and for me its not even close. I would liken her books to being closer to something like Lord of the Rings as compared to WoT or Fire and Ice. They are just several steps below.

But this is something that can't be proven one way or the other so we can just agree to disagree.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
They are books that can be read children or adults and while I personally like WoT and Song of Ice and Fire more I don't know if I agree with them not being as complex.

Her books are way more iconic than either of those series due to what an amazing writer she is. She is just a better writer (in my opinion) than either Jordan or Martin, and for me its not even close. I would liken her books to being closer to something like Lord of the Rings as compared to WoT or Fire and Ice. They are just several steps below.

But this is something that can't be proven one way or the other so we can just agree to disagree.
With complex I mean that Dune, WoT and ASoIaF all are very focused on creating big, internally consistent worlds. Meanwhile the Harry Potter series (which is lovely, don't get me wrong), isn't really concerned with any of that stuff. The story mostly isn't a big continuous story, but every year has its own trials and tribulations (this changed a bit towards the end of the series, with Voldemort taking a more active role as villain). It's vastly different than what for instance GRRM does who has to somehow make a cohesive story-ending out of ten or more individual storylines that have mostly been running since Book 1.

JK Rowling also is notoriously not at all bothered by any worldbuilding, with her introducing and handwaving elements of the world willy-nilly. The time turner is an infamous example of this.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I had hoped his daughter might continue the Discworld books, but haven't heard anything about that.

I still haven't read the last Terry Pratchett Discworld book. :(
From what I understand he blessed the idea and people thought it was going to be, but she has since said no she would rather let his work stand on its own and she is not the writer he was so it's better to just not.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I just want an adult Harry Potter series in which he's an Auror and has to solve awesome magic crimes

just imagine harry fucking potter solving a serial killer case, imagine the surprise in the late second act as the audience is stunned when HermionGranger comes in with the assist, and Ron gets involved and we got our old trio back on the case
I think I'd like some adult fare set in the HP universe, but after Cursed Child I have absolutely zero desire to see more of the original characters. Rowling clearly had a feeling early on that she needed to end Harry's story so it couldn't go on forever - and I wish she'd stuck with that commitment.

On that note, I'd prefer if she was just never involved with any future Wizarding World projects. The Fantastic Beasts films suffered tremendously for having to loop back into the world of Hogwarts - the more distance these projects get from the original text, the better. Let HP be one story in this universe, and just leave it at that.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Oh shit, I remember liking the anime but never knew if it actually ended or not
The series just kinda....wrapped up everything in about 30 seconds then just stopped.

Then the movie happened in which a ton of stuff happened off screen, very little of it got explained in the movie, then it too pretty much wrapped up in 30 seconds and just kinda stopped.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
With complex I mean that Dune, WoT and ASoIaF all are very focused on creating big, internally consistent worlds. Meanwhile the Harry Potter series (which is lovely, don't get me wrong), isn't really concerned with any of that stuff. The story mostly isn't a big continuous story, but every year has its own trials and tribulations (this changed a bit towards the end of the series, with Voldemort taking a more active role as villain). It's vastly different than what for instance GRRM does who has to somehow make a cohesive story-ending out of ten or more individual storylines that have mostly been running since Book 1.

JK Rowling also is notoriously not at all bothered by any worldbuilding, with her introducing and handwaving elements of the world willy-nilly. The time turner is an infamous example of this.
Yeah thats a fair point. I still think her worlds are not far behind theirs, but I have to concede on that.

None of them approach something like Lord of the Rings though. Though then again I can't think of another story that has that level of detail. Tolkien kind of started from the beginning of his world until the end, with a billion details in between.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
From what I understand he blessed the idea and people thought it was going to be, but she has since said no she would rather let his work stand on its own and she is not the writer he was so it's better to just not.
And that's totally fair, and I completely respect that choice.

Plus it's not like Discworld doesn't have a LOT of books in it, and it's never really been a series that's felt like it needed a definitive "Conclusion". And each series within Discworld (Watchmen, Rincewind, Witches, Death, etc) never really ends with cliffhangers and have satisfying conclusions that could continue or not.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
The series just kinda....wrapped up everything in about 30 seconds then just stopped.

Then the movie happened in which a ton of stuff happened off screen, very little of it got explained in the movie, then it too pretty much wrapped up in 30 seconds and just kinda stopped.

LMAO I remember trying to watch the movie, but it started in a way I didn't understand anything. I decided to stop and try to catch up so I could understand it and never finding anything else.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
I think one of my most morbid thoughts I continually come back to is living long enough to see One Piece end. But Oda is a smoker and theres a global death virus that fucks with the lungs and the heart, so now I feel even more iffy about it concluding.

Also because I am an idiot and still watch the anime every week, some of those voice actors are really getting on. Mayumi Tanaka is 65 and must be protected at all costs. There is no other Luffy voice.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge Hunter x Hunter fan too, so yeah I know this pain well. It's one of my absolute favorite pieces of media, and I'm completely enthralled in the story (the current Succession War arc especially). At this point, I just hope I get to see the Dark Continent, and Gon meeting Gyro before I die.

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I used to read tons and tons of fanfiction, so I am always mentally prepared for stories to end abruptly haha.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even know if I'll have the energy to read whatever else happens in Berserk if it finishes. It's been so long since I've read it and given up on it. I'd basically have to start over to understand anything.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Martin planned for the show ending to be the book ending. Now since that was poorly received. Dude is going to want to rewrite it. Making someone who already wrote himself in a corner and made no real progress since Feast(Dance did not solve any of the plot points nor issues he brought up). The series will never finish. He will release the 6th book. Release he can't finish everything in just one more book while working on the new ending. Split it like Dance of Dragons into two and ditz away another 10 years before passing on. And someone else, unless he writes it in his will" will pick up the story to completion.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
A song of ice and fire: the thread.

Yep.

At some point we'll get TWOW. But we're never getting A Dream of Spring. It truly was a dream all along.

Martin planned for the show ending to be the book ending. Now since that was poorly received. Dude is going to want to rewrite it. Making someone who already wrote himself in a corner and made no real progress since Feast(Dance did not solve any of the plot points nor issues he brought up). The series will never finish. He will release the 6th book. Release he can't finish everything in just one more book while working on the new ending. Split it like Dance of Dragons into two and ditz away another 10 years before passing on. And someone else, unless he writes it in his will" will pick up the story to completion.

Nah, the show perhaps followed the extreme broad strokes of his planned ending, but all of the details will be different. The ideas for the ending are not bad, its the execution. Martin would nail the execution if he ever actually got to the point of writing the ending.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the show perhaps followed the extreme broad strokes of his planned ending, but all of the details will be different. The ideas for the ending are not bad, its the execution. Martin would nail the execution if he ever actually got to the point of writing the ending.

Agreed, I never had any issue with the ending, but the ride in the show was wild to get there.

But because that chamber was spent and the show tainted it, he's going to want to change it up. Dragging this process out an extra year or two.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_m90terEUH61qetial.gif

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Yeah it doesn't hurt anymore. After this last hiatus of what? 2 years? I don't really care anymore about HxH. I mean hell yeah I'll read a chapter when it comes out but I'm just expecting to never get a regular release ever again or a definitive ending.

Same with berserk. Although that isn't as bad since it hasn't had a really good anime adaption. Which is a shame because the manga is fantastic.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Name: Murasaki
Favourite Book: The Tale of Genji
Eternally disappointed and unfulfilled: Yes
; _ ;

Edit: Add to that The Dream of the Red Chamber / Song of the Stone
; _ ;

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like there isn't an ending in sight for D.Gray-man.

The release schedule is completely understandable, but lordy does Hoshino still pace the story like a weekly manga.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I'm at the point where i wanna fanfic an ending for ASoIaF just as a fun hobby writing project.

I've seen people who like harry potter give rowling the "Minecraft came from space" treatment before, but i didnt realize anyone hated book 7 specifically enough to mindwipe themselves.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
There's a fanfic I keep up with every now and then about Warhammer 40k around 20,000 years in the future where everything has broken down and new chaos god's are forming and their factions are taking over.

Last update was in like 2017? Last I heard the author was working on a real book, so not much hope there.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
We'll never see The Silmarillion as Tolkien envisaged it unfortunately, but the version edited by Christopher Tolkien and posthumously published is certainly acceptable.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Oh shit, I remember liking the anime but never knew if it actually ended or not

For whatever reason they wanted to leave things open for sequels. The director outright rejected the original scripts for the final episode that would have a conclusive ending. But then they just made one movie (which doesn't close things since it was meant to set up further sequels) and the project just stopped for a while. Production was completely disbanded by the early 00s due to lack of interest of the staff by then.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
On a tangentially related note, I am very happy with the job Brandon Sanderson did finishing the Wheel of Time.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The majority of my favorite stories come from serialized fiction, have technically completed, and exist within a framework that will likely outlive me.

Except for Dragon Ball; we're never getting more Super.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It pains me that i will never read the finished edition of The 120 Days of Sodom

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I've more than made my peace with ASOIAF never being completed. Hell, I not 100% certain that The Winds Of Winter will ever see the light of day.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
For whatever reason they wanted to leave things open for sequels. The director outright rejected the original scripts for the final episode that would have a conclusive ending. But then they just made one movie (which doesn't close things since it was meant to set up further sequels) and the project just stopped for a while. Production was completely disbanded by the early 00s due to lack of interest of the staff by then.

What a mess.

I'm convinced Hoshino has forgotten about Lavi at this point. ;_;

Which would friggin sucks because Lavi was my favorite character, and not knowing his fate after last we saw him is buuuuullshit!

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
I've come to accept that X-1999 from CLAMP is never gonna be finished, and I'll never know the ultimate fate of Sorata.

Somebody else remembers! lol

I don't bemoan CLAMP for capitalize on their success at the time, but X-1999 is a prime example of why authors should not jump to Movies and TV series before they finish their books. ASOIAF failed to learn this lesson.

Not to be morbid about it, but is Hagewara of Bastard! fame still alive?

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if someday someone will fanfic a tolerable conclusion to ASOIAF. Stylistically, Martin should be easy to imitate, but I suspect any aspiring successors will either get lost in the weeds or turn out shit (Exhibit A: D&D).

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tron: Uprising

Does Kingdom Hearts count? I know for a fact that this series will probably end when Nomura leaves SE or dies whatever comes first and all I want is a solid end where I can say "thanks for the rotten memories"

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Somebody else remembers! lol

I don't bemoan CLAMP for capitalize on their success at the time, but X-1999 is a prime example of why authors should not jump to Movies and TV series before they finish their books. ASOIAF failed to learn this lesson.

I didn't mind much for years, until they started Tsubasa and Sorata & Arashi appeared there. It felt like a tease that they might actually come back. But then they come back to Sakura CC before finishing X-99?? OH COME ON!

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really have anything like this.

Also i'm ok with things not existing. Not waiting for anything in life. Only death.