• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
The only game that truly blew me away graphically was Kena. Ratchet would be second, though it suffered a bit of just looking like a slightly better PS4 game with ray traced reflections.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This legit looks like a linear progression to me:

Annotation-2020-06-12-001936.png

Annotation-2020-06-12-001434.png

jO8d21.jpg

jO8VYH.jpg

It's a gradual and consistent progression into the legitimately Dreamworks CGI level visuals we're seeing today.

Ratchet becomes cuddlier and cuddlier each game. :3 Original Ratchet looked rough though...

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Lol the original Deep Down trailer was not real footage and neither was that first Watch Dogs trailer.

Final version of Watch Dogs looked pretty fucking bad in comparison to that reveal trailer, and Deep Down never even came out.

Police car door being closed with The Division, and the final version of that was also a significant downgrade from what was first shown.

I hope you are being sarcastic
I wasn't. Because I wasn't talking about the actual games when they released, the downgradathons were real, I was talking about the graphics hype going into the next gen. People say here that everyone's always disappointed about the jump in graphics when the new console gen is revealed, when that emphatically wasn't the case with this gen (nor any previous ones). It's just that we are now getting to a point of diminishing returns.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably there are genres where is more evident than others but I agree.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
If we're just talking about graphics, then Sony's AAA first party titles clearly look better than what the PS4 can handle, and these are early gen games. Games will look even better as the gen progresses. If we're talking about hardware on PS5 facilitating game design that could not be done on PS4, then that was clearly demonstrated with Ratchet and Clank. I'm sure Spider-Man and Horizon will also use the SSD for improvements that could not be done on PS4.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's a linear progression if you have no idea what linear progression means. The difference between PS4 and PS5 Ratchet is markedly smaller than the other ones, and the difference between PS2 and PS3 Ratchet is gigantic.

Get your eyes checked. The jump in detail and lighting is easily as big as the jump from PS3 > PS4.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they showed some gameplay but it didnt looked as next gen. but my guess is probably something like this
youtu.be

Assassin's Creed Unity Remastered | Xbox Series X Graphics with DirectX Ray Tracing Technology

if Assassin's Creed Unity Remastered Xbox Series X Graphics with DirectX Ray Tracing Technology Assassin's Creed Unity Remastered for Ray-Tracing Support. th...

Yeah, I only watched the Spiderman, Horizon, and Ratchet ones when I made that comment. The games that showed gameplay were significantly less impressive. They looked like maxed out PC games. I just started playing RDR2 again, and finally got to St Denis and I am honestly more impressed with that game than any of the gameplay graphics that were shown. RDR2 maxed out at 4K on PC is jaw dropping at times.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't those links not working?

www.ccn.com

PS5 and Xbox Series X Will Hit a Graphics Dead-End

The PS5 and Xbox Series X may not have the big leap in graphical fidelity that we're used to with previous console generations.

**Images fixed
Not gameplay:
ibb.co

scene2 hosted at ImgBB

Image scene2 hosted in ImgBB
ibb.co

scene hosted at ImgBB

Image scene hosted in ImgBB

Gameplay:
ibb.co

gameplay2 hosted at ImgBB

Image gameplay2 hosted in ImgBB
ibb.co

gameplay hosted at ImgBB

Image gameplay hosted in ImgBB

Tell me whats wrong about this pls?

...You didn't see the Ratchet and Clank gameplay in that space?

Oct 31, 2017
I do not see diminishing returns in graphics. The PS5 games shown off, even at 30 fps, looked a lot better than all PS4 games. A lot.
I totally agree.

Sometimes I wonder if I watched the same trailers as the folks that are unimpressed. 😂 BTW, I loved you guys' analysis of the PS5 presentation, it was fun to watch and very funny (Chad Warden: BAAALLIN'!)

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I expect gameplay in HZD 2 to be very similar to this footage. When has GG shown footage that was noticeably superior to the final product?

Note - killzone 2 CGI was not done by GG.
But why didn't they show us gameplay footage instead of cinematic stuff (that many here rightly mistook for prerendered stuff) ? They did show us gameplay scenes when they revealed the first game. Weren't people blown away by what they showed back then ? Why not doing the same here ? I don't understand.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I mean, I can tell the difference, but it doesn't feel like a huge step. The density in Spider-Man was the only bit that made me go 'woah.'

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Could this be because sony isn't used to using unreal engines? Let's see what Xbox can do. One month to go.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
But why didn't they show us gameplay footage instead of cinematic stuff (that many here rightly mistook for prerendered stuff) ? They did show us gameplay scenes when they revealed the first game. Weren't people blown away by what they showed back then ? Why not doing the same here ? I don't understand.

Because Horizon has reached a level of IP popularity that it can afford to be "air quote" arrogant, and have its gameplay reveal be used to strengthen another conference/showcase/State of Play.

Mar 11, 2019
I have the opposite view of most in here, I think this is the biggest generational leap we have ever had, and the games are already showing it imo.

The show very much exceeded my expectations graphic wise since all games shown where in native 4k. The UE5 demo had me worried about the potential graphical leap because it was 1440p. However the UE5 demo also demonstrated that non 4k can look just as good and depending on what the developers want to push they may opt for 1440p pushing cgi graphics or with dynamic checkerboard resolutions.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Ratchet and Clank alone is doing shit that would melt a PS4Pro.

The only possible way I can think of to "fake" it is to essentially lower the amount of assets in the jump and the quality of the assets and pre-load two sets of assets at once. Then on top of that make the time between those jump sequences much, much longer. But then you'd lose the intent of feeling like theres complete chaos going on with the rapid world switching.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
People weren't really claiming diminishing returns going from PS2 to PS3 gen, were they? I don't even remember it going from PS3 to PS4 gen, but I believe it happened, much more than from PS2 to PS3.

Of course it happened, I mean claiming the 360 was "Xbox 1.5" was a thing for a good while on message boards and whatnot.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Was part of that because they released it only 4 years after the OG Xbox?

Not really, back then 4.5 years was more or less standard, also that'd mean low expectations while people were expecting way more from "Xbox 2", obviously we now how that turned out with more amazing looking games the more time passed

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't 90% of the problem that we're seeing it all through not great quality streams? The still images I've looked at look pretty great.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Isn't 90% of the problem that we're seeing it all through not great quality streams? The still images I've looked at look pretty great.

Again as pointed out in the past that wouldn't have mattered. Stream quality good or bad you could see a generational leap. It's getting harder and harder to tell the differences.

SpectR0nn

Jan 6, 2018
Every single generation I swear. Go watch those trailers in 4K on the Playstation Youtube channel and then come back here and claim the same thing. Ratchet & Clank looks supremely impressive, and Horizon II is possibly the most impressive piece of interactive media I've ever witnessed, and I also play on PC. The amount of on screen detail is simply staggering. The PS4 would melt trying to run those games at that level of detail, let alone at 4K native resolution. Two other very good looking games are Kena and Stray and those are supposed to be crossgen even. I thought GT7 was a true beaut as well, especially considering it was running at a super smooth 60 fps.

Again as pointed out in the past that wouldn't have mattered. Stream quality good or bad you could see a generational leap. It's getting harder and harder to tell the differences.

It does matter in this case because a lower bitstream and resolution destroy all the details that define the next gen leap. All those particle effects in R&C turn into noise on that stream.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
We probably reached diminishing returns on character models, especial in static pictures. Things that could use a lot of improvements there are hair, cloth physics and more realistic facial animations, more to do with how they move than how they look. With environments though, there's still a lot of room for improvements there.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Nothing I saw looked like something worthy of getting a PS5 at launch.

I do have a question in regards to the Ratchet & Clank portal stuff. How is that different from the portal stuff we have seen in original Prey, Portal 1 & 2, The Evil Within 1 & 2, or any other game where when you turn the camera around, it's a whole different map?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I do not see diminishing returns in graphics. The PS5 games shown off, even at 30 fps, looked a lot better than all PS4 games. A lot.
right, i think people either just watched the launch stream or didnt go and look at the 4k videos..

The only game that truly blew me away graphically was Kena. Ratchet would be second, though it suffered a bit of just looking like a slightly better PS4 game with ray traced reflections.
this is bullshit.

its extremely improved. i really think people have some crazy recency bias on the older games. you look back and its apparent immediately there is a lot thats been added.

Mar 31, 2018
I wasn't surprised by the games either, as expected. Everyone expected a huge graphical leap, but this was not there. Horizon 2, which is often mentioned as an example for a spectacular game, has no gameplay footage. They are cutscenes rendered by the PS5, so expect hefty downgrades for gameplay. In the trailers shown, there were also things that were sloppy, such as ugly PS3-level blades of grass in Gran Turismo 7 and not so successful rendering of hair textures in Pragmata.

The only thing that fascinates me for now is the tactile "DualSense" controller and the fact that Solid State Drives (SSD), which has been around for almost thirty years, will finally be properly supported.

Did anyone go to all that trouble to compare the images of Resident Evil VIllage to Resident Evil VII?

Mar 31, 2018
The ironic thing is: Spider-Man Miles Morales, Sackboy! A Big Adventure and Horizon: Forbidden West are all three PS4 games too, apparently. Maybe we won't see the real graphic benefits of PS5 until later.