• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
if it was ingame gameplay

See that's the problem... it was. I'll say again people were blown away and got that shadowfall next gen moment with the UE5 demo. Sony should've taken from that instead they used GT7 and R+C and cross gen titles which just wasn't the way to really capture that next gen magic. I enjoyed the R+C video, but it simply wasn't mindblowing and GT7 looks roughly the same but with ray tracing and double the framerate.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I woudn't say it doesn't look better, because obviously it does, but we have reached a point where i hardly get impressed by computer graphics, so i only care about gameplay. I think the GCN/PS2/Xbox generation was the last one i cared about graphics.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I woudn't say it doesn't look better, because obviously it does, but we have reached a point where i hardly get impressed by computer graphics, so i only care about gameplay. I think the GCN/PS2/Xbox generation was the last one i cared about graphics.
I could agree with that. Like I'm happy games are much better looking, but now I find myself wondering more often about framerate, or draw distance, amount of enemies or whatever, better AI, load times... that sort of stuff. I'm so looking forward to both consoles specifically because of decreased/eliminated load times. It's gonna be so nice not having to wait sometimes several minutes to load into zones in Destiny 2 and other games with notoriously bad load times.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If these are the graphics and experiences we are getting for launch or not long after launch then I can't wait to see how things progress when developers have more time with the system, the progression from something like Infamous 2nd son to stuff like RDR2, TLOU2, HZD and GOW show's how far things have come on the PS4 and the next gen consoles have way more potential.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
does it not matter at all the ease at which you can get a game to look like a ps4 game

what if a ps5 game looks like a ps4 game with half the time of a ps4 game

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we hit this point last time the consoles were launching and people were like "is this it, is this really the jump?" ... and then Naughty Dog dropped that Uncharted teaser and everyone was like, that's fake.

I'm sure we'll hit that point again where people will change their tune.

G.O.O.

Oct 26, 2017
I think it does look better, it's just that I feel that in a world where most PS4 games already look pretty good, and many indie games manage to deliver great experiences with simple visuals, graphics become less of a selling point.

Then again I felt that way when the PS4 launched, so...

Nov 20, 2019
If these are the graphics and experiences we are getting for launch or not long after launch then I can't wait to see how things progress when developers have more time with the system, the progression from something like Infamous 2nd son to stuff like RDR2, TLOU2, HZD and GOW show's how far things have come on the PS4 and the next gen consoles have way more potential.
I Agree!

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like we hit this point last time the consoles were launching and people were like "is this it, is this really the jump?" ... and then Naughty Dog dropped that Uncharted teaser and everyone was like, that's fake.

People are largely looking to win arguments and feed their egos on the internet, not use this resource to better inform their outlooks. So of course you get all the absurdity we have seen. A ton of people invested in this narrative of absurdist diminishing returns to the point of arguing Horizon 2 is indistinguishable from Horizon 1 using a misleading photo mode screenshot, and they are going to see it through, reality be damned.

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone will say "that's it" then when the first big wave of next gen only titles hit in 2022-23 ppl will be like "omg these look great, how can PS6 top this?!?" Thus continuing the cycle.

Ratchet and Horizon 2 look far above this gen imo, and they're early next gen titles.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
After having another look at ratchet, i think it might be just as impressive as horizon.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Diminishing returns have been a thing ever since the late 2000's. Anyone contesting that the PS3->PS4 leap was smaller than any other generational leap since the NES is deluding themselves.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Diminishing returns have been a thing ever since the late 2000's. Anyone contesting that the PS3->PS4 leap was smaller than any other generational leap since the NES is deluding themselves.

I know, love people that say the ps3 to PS4 leap was smaller then ps2 to ps3. Go play infamous again then infamous second son. Infamous graphics hold up like hot garbage next to it.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
User Warned: platform warring
32483320604_99ff96dcde_o.png

alloypkjbx.jpg

"meh, diminishing returns. looks the same as PS4 games"

XBox X
co_1_006eckhb.jpg

RTX
co_3_006i1kqd.jpg

"OMG insane generational improvement. THIS is next gen!"

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
No. Ratchet & Clank looks fucking bonkers. Absolutely a generational leap. Stray and Kena look like similar leaps forward.

Generally, each new console generation tends to look similar what offline rendering (CG movies and cut scenes) looked like during the years of the previous gen, and I think some of the PS5 games we saw hit that mark.

And on that note, as long as we have offline rendering, not to mention production renders, that look an order of magnitude better than gameplay, then there will still be room for improvement.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Watch the following with the native (4k) trailers, they seem like pretty huge leaps in fidelity to me.

- Hellbalde 2
- Horizon 2
- Ratchet & Clank
- Spider Myles Morales
- Halo Infinite

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Infamous Second Son was a launch title and could easily been showcased yesterday, and that's coming from someone that really really enjoyed yesterday's event. Horizon looks to have absolute insane IQ. Ratchet and Clank has SO much shit going on on the screen at once there's simply no way that could release in current gen without being a choppy visual mess.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
still it doesn't show gameplay so we can't judge on pre-rendered cut scenes. thats why i hate it when they doesn't show gameplay. people get confused.

i just watches general daily news on tv from here where they say about ps5, you will play all your games in 8k. thats what you get when releasing bad information.
Pre-rendered? When's the last time Guerilla did pre-rendered anything? PS3? Why would they go back to it now?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
still it doesn't show gameplay so we can't judge on pre-rendered cut scenes. thats why i hate it when they doesn't show gameplay. people get confused.

i just watches general daily news on tv from here where they say about ps5, you will play all your games in 8k. thats what you get when releasing bad information.
Umm, they were real-time.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Infamous Second Son was a launch title and could easily been showcased yesterday, and that's coming from someone that really really enjoyed yesterday's event. Horizon looks to have absolute insane IQ. Ratchet and Clank has SO much shit going on on the screen at once there's simply no way that could release in current gen without being a choppy visual mess.
i dont think so.

Infamous SS would stick out like a sore thumb easily imo.

884925-infamous-second-son-cole-s-legacy-playstation-4-screenshot.jpg

884931-infamous-second-son-cole-s-legacy-playstation-4-screenshot.jpg

infamous_second_son_screenshot_2.jpg

884934-infamous-second-son-cole-s-legacy-playstation-4-screenshot.jpg

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Umm, they were real-time.
real-time ? never seen someone playing a game like that before, how is that even possible to play scenes like that? it's pre-rendered content and its not the same as in-game gameplay. I've shared photos from gameplay vs pre-rendered. it's pretty clear that there is a hugh difference.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
real-time ? never seen someone playing a game like that before, how is that even possible to play scenes like that? it's pre-rendered content and its not the same as in-game gameplay. I've shared photos from gameplay vs pre-rendered. it's pretty clear that there is a hugh difference.
Real-time means it's being rendered in-engine with game assets, running off the local hardware. Which Horizon was.

Pre-rendered would mean the footage was rendered in advance, and likely not on the actual console hardware.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
Us in 1999 -"graphics will never get better"

Us in 2020 -"graphics will never get better"

Consider also that 4K will be the standard resolution in about 5 years or so.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I mean, if you guys are as impressed with this jump as back in the SNES>N64, or PS1>PS2 era then that's fantastic. But don't pretend those who aren't are just pretending not being impressed.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I think it was just a poor showcase of next-gen. Clearly that Ratchet & Clank game could not run well on current gen.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say they necessarily look like they could run on PS4, but I wasn't blown away....

Until I put the trailers on my TV and watched the non compressed 4k versions. Wow, what a difference. R&C and Horizon especially at 4k are just gorgeous.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
How can ya'll watch this

www.gamersyde.com

Stream and download Announcement Trailer from Kena: Bridge of Spirits in very high quality

Stream and download Announcement Trailer from Kena: Bridge of Spirits in very high quality

and be like, yeah a PS4 could do that. And it's not even the most impressive game that was shown.

Do you even know what pre-rendered means?

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Real-time means it's being rendered in-engine with game assets, running off the local hardware. Which Horizon was.

Pre-rendered would mean the footage was rendered in advance, and likely not on the actual console hardware.

Just to give you a summary to save us time:

it has already have been said in January by a game studio that develops for playstation

www.ccn.com

PS5 and Xbox Series X Will Hit a Graphics Dead-End

The PS5 and Xbox Series X may not have the big leap in graphical fidelity that we're used to with previous console generations.

The PS5 and Xbox Series X may not have the big leap in graphical fidelity that we're used to with previous console generations.
  • The PS5 and Xbox Series X will be with us by the end of the year.
  • While previous generations have meant an increase in graphical fidelity, gamers have been warned not to expect that this time.
  • Graphics shouldn't be as important as visual design and mechanical improvements.
About what i mean about ingame gameplay and pre-rendered

**Images fixed
Not gameplay:
ibb.co

scene2 hosted at ImgBB

Image scene2 hosted in ImgBB
ibb.co

scene hosted at ImgBB

Image scene hosted in ImgBB

Gameplay:
ibb.co

gameplay2 hosted at ImgBB

Image gameplay2 hosted in ImgBB
ibb.co

gameplay hosted at ImgBB

Image gameplay hosted in ImgBB

Also keep in mind that many games are downgraded afterwards after it was shown at e3.

I also mentioned this prev gen, I'm happy there are more people that see it happening and accept it.

It's a problem but I think they can fix it. The solution is already mentioned by Microsoft.
Think about phones and ipad. Some games will work on older ipads, other games only on the latest ipad.
Instead of releasing a ps5, you can release each year a slightly upgraded version, something like ps4 pro. It will also fix the +/- 7y waiting line.

Why would we need to wait on a console for 7 years, that maybe is already outdated again after a few years? Phones like iphone and samsung are even more expensive. You can choose when to update it. It's the perfect solution. You can even keep it cheap by working with modules. Like n64 memory pack, so you can keep the ssd and controllers. There is just so many better solution and it is the perfect time now to do it.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

it has already have been said in January by a game studio that develops for playstation

www.ccn.com

• While previous generations have meant an increase in graphical fidelity, gamers have been warned not to expect that this time.
  • Graphics shouldn't be as important as visual design and mechanical improvements.

Not gameplay:
www.screencast.com

2020-06-12_1459

Shared from Screencast.com
www.screencast.com

2020-06-12_1506

Gameplay:
www.screencast.com

2020-06-12_1459

www.screencast.com

2020-06-12_1505

Also keep in mind that many games are downgraded afterwards after it was shown at e3.

I also mentioned this prev gen, I'm happy there are more people that see it happening and accept it.

It's a problem but I think they can fix it. The solution is already mentioned by Microsoft.
Think about phones and ipad. Some games will work on older ipads, other games only on the latest ipad.
Instead of releasing a ps5, you can release each year a slightly upgraded version, something like ps4 pro. It will also fix the +/- 7y waiting line.

Why would we need to wait on a console for 7 years, that maybe is already outdated again after a few years? Phones like iphone and samsung are even more expensive. You can choose when to update it. It's the perfect solution. You can even keep it cheap by working with modules. Like n64 memory pack, so you can keep the ssd and controllers. There is just so many better solution and it is the perfect time now to do it.

Dude. What is this rambling? You do not know what pre-rendered means. I cannot believe you are arguing with Matt of all people.

When we discuss pre-rendered vs real time, we are talking about what the hardware is capable of showing in real time. That's it. It being playable or not has nothing to fucking do with whether it is real time or CG. Why you would think something being playable matters in that situation I do not know. It doesn't. Cutscenes are not all pre-rendered. Quit pushing that bullshit.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I don't really get the use case for Ratchet & Clank. Like, yeah clearly it is using the system's harddrive in a very clever way without loading times. That's wild. But like... that video was also alot of nonsense to look at? Like they're not going to have you literally falling through dimensions for the majority of that game. That's a very showy demonstration that will maybe happen afew times (though certainly in some cool ways.) But the other display of throwing your hook to those breaches.... like... was that functionally just a dash or something with a different effect on it?

Like I get that the excitement is hopefully less "crawl through narrow space" for load times,"
but it's not like games obfuscate information just because of that.

And this could kinda means the same for the rest of the software. Alot of me feeling "I think this looks neat", but what about this is tangibly next gen in a way that means different kinds of games?

Last edited:

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

www.ccn.com

Not gameplay:
www.screencast.com

2020-06-12_1459

www.screencast.com

2020-06-12_1506

Gameplay:
www.screencast.com

2020-06-12_1459

www.screencast.com

2020-06-12_1505

Your original claim was that it was prerendered. Something we have seen no evidence of and you have provided none either. If your issue simply lies with the fact that they're moving the camera to a more cinematic angle before recording then that's a wholly different conversation.

madmisterf

Oct 26, 2017

We're already there, some people are calling the Horizon trailer CG.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I don't really get the use case for Ratchet & Clank. Like, yeah clearly it is using the system's harddrive in a very clever way without loading times. That's wild. But like... that video was also alot of nonsense to look at? Like they're not going to have you literally falling through dimensions for the majority of that game. That's a very showy demonstration that will maybe happen afew times (though certainly in some cool ways.) But the other display of throwing your hook to those breaches.... like... was that functionally just a dash or something with a different effect on it?
It's going to be a little bit until developers think of ways to take full advantage of something like the crazy fast SSD + I/O. Going to involve a lot of "new ways of thinking" and changes in game design philosophies. I'm not surprised it's gimmicky stuff right now like what we see in Ratchet & Clank.

Obviously it's up in the air as to whether or not that actually happens.

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dude. What is this rambling? You do not know what pre-rendered means. I cannot believe you are arguing with Matt of all people.

When we discuss pre-rendered vs real time, we are talking about what the hardware is capable of showing in real time. That's it. It being playable or not has nothing to fucking do with whether it is real time or CG. Why you would think something being playable matters in that situation I do not know. It doesn't. Cutscenes are not all pre-rendered. Quit pushing that bullshit.

Name it like you want it isn't gameplay, so stop making excuses. My post summary has enough information that shows what I mean. If it's nor pre-rendered, it's still not gameplay.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Does any current gen game have a coral reef that looks even close to the one in horizon 2?

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Wow then I also don't see the sytemseller for PS5 right now and Horizon is more likely not a launch title.
MS will have Halo as a Launch title I expect. Hmm if they can deliver then it's a good chance for them now to win the launch race.

Spider-man sold much more than the last Halo....so you have Spiderman Miles Morales for that.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Us in 1999 -"graphics will never get better"

Us in 2020 -"graphics will never get better"

Consider also that 4K will be the standard resolution in about 5 years or so.
But this is NOT what "diminishing returns" means.
I feel like some people missed the gameplay demos of ratchet & Hitman and probably a few others that were showed.
Hitman 3 looks the same as 2 (as expected since the whole trilogy is esentially a single project building upon the same shared platform), and Ratchet is a great example of diminishing returns (which again, doesn't mean a lack of progress OBVIOUSLY).