• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you'd told me these were PS4 games I'd believe you, they look good but they don't look like they are doing anything that was impossible to do on the PS4 in terms of game design.

I hope a few years down the line we get software that uses the SSD to give us a new experience.
You mean like Ratchet and Clank's portal jumping? That's a pre alpha game too.

Horizon was definitely using the SSD for those large areas with no pop in also.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't noticing the big leap during the live stream but after watching the trailers I'm blown away. I still don't get why Sony insist on live streaming these events.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Nah. PS4 quality really doesn't hold up. People saying this have no idea.

I bought metro Exodus on Ps4pro and I booted it up and I was wowed by the trailers when I saw it (so I expected the game to look WOW!) but the actual game just looked really sorta shit.

I'm so ready for next gen.

Mate, you got no idea how ready I am for next gen. Base PS4 since year 1!

I was just saying why people may have gotten that impression, due to the stream quality.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
And this is the very start of this generation. Just look at this screenshot. Think what devs will achieve in the next 4, 5, 6 years. I can't believe people aren't seeing a generational leap, honestly.
AmTciy4xUoo3CM4Z69qH2B.jpg

How many casual observers would be able to definitively say that screenshot was from a next-gen title and this one is not? Horizon already looked amazing, if they created Horizon 2 on the PS4 that underwater scene probably looks almost as good at a glance. So much of the improvements people talk about graphically now is in the details, or stuff that's only truly noticeable if you have a huge 4K TV or do side-by-side comparisons.

For me, something like Half-Life Alyx is a lot more "next-gen" than what MS/Sony have shown off so far. That's what I'm looking for, using the horsepower for physics or stuff that really wouldn't have been possible in the past. Not just prettier pretty games.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Poor choice of word. It looks sharper, literally.

For you resolution is better than assets, lighting, geometry, any post processing tech or thing that contribute to a better IQ in general?

Are we really discussing this?

Looking sharper means it looks better on your TV. Having a better resolution means all of the things you mentioned will also look better. Because if not, your tv will have to upscale it all, and it will end up looking blurry. This of course, if you have a 4k tv.

Also, all that stuff you mention is better in these PS5 games than PS4 games, so what are you even arguing about?

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I'd have felt similarly had I not watched the 4K trailers afterwards. The differences are very substantial there.

But by far the most exciting thing is the scale and design possibilities enabled by SSDs being standard. This is a much more substantial leap in terms of what games are capable of than PS3 to PS4 where, by and large, we got prettier versions of the same fundamental game design.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
AmTciy4xUoo3CM4Z69qH2B.jpg

How many casual observers would be able to definitively say that screenshot was from a next-gen title and this one is not? Horizon already looked amazing, if they created Horizon 2 on the PS4 that underwater scene probably looks almost as good at a glance. So much of the improvements people talk about graphically now is in the details, or stuff that's only truly noticeable if you have a huge 4K TV or do side-by-side comparisons.

For me, something like Half-Life Alyx is a lot more "next-gen" than what MS/Sony have shown off so far. That's what I'm looking for, using the horsepower for physics or stuff that really wouldn't have been possible in the past. Not just prettier pretty games.

Photo mode uses higher fidelity models. And even then:
EaRKLxYXgAIKuT0

This is CG level.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There will always be diminishing returns that's why Im more excited about the end of loading times and diminished level design.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I think people who don't yet have 4k HDTVs and especially those with smaller 1080p ones will not notice some of the graphic jumps as much too.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. For now. The true power of the consoles won't be squeezed out until a couple of years from now. Happens every generation.

Look at Uncharted 1 and then Uncharted 3 for example.

Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance and Resistance 3. Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 3. Any shooter.

Uncharted 1 and Mass Effect 1 looked like they were impossible to do on PS2 though even back when they came out. These examples just prove OPs point, lol. Of course later games looked even better, but early games of the PS360 era were definitely already a gamechanger compared to PS2 graphics.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Throughout the show I was just asking myself which of these games would not be possible on the PS4. Which of these games clearly surpass standards set by TLOU2, Horizon and RDR2. Unfortunately they all look like PS4/PS4.5 games with the nice bonus of being powered by an SSD.

So far this seems like the smallest jump yet in terms of graphics. Last gen we saw an immediate jump really quickly with games like KZ SF, inFamous, Driveclub and The Order.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Never knew era had so many visually impaired posters. The leap in visual fidelity is just as noticeable as the leap from PS3 > PS4. To say that Horizon 2 looks like a current gen title is absolute drivel.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, Every new console release seems like Groundhog-day for experienced gamers.
It's very noticable in some games shown. And shit takes time.

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
Are we really discussing this?

Looking sharper means it looks better on your TV. Having a better resolution means all of the things you mentioned will also look better. Because if not, your tv will have to upscale it all, and it will end up looking blurry. This of course, if you have a 4k tv.

Also, all that stuff you mention is better in these PS5 games than PS4 games, so what are you even arguing about?

We are talking apple to apple, you're talking like 4K is next-gen thing when there are a lot more factor beside resolution that make a game look better. Why mentioning the PS4, did I?

Upscale from what 1080p, 1440p? Of course it will have an impact but again, I don't play on console and when I do at my friends spot, I don't play my nose close to the screen.
1080p FF VII Remake looked good on 4K screen. Resolution wasn't an issue.

Making a comment, not even arguing.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
wold even argue that TLoU Part II IQ looks better than all these games shown.
I disagree, because Horizon 2 looks better and it's open world. But I guess you have a point when it comes to something like Sackboy, which to be fair can't be compared to the graphical style of TLoU 2.

I'd say what we seen in this presentation looked good mostly, but I realized a bigger than ever gap between games depending on their budget. Of course we don't know how much budget the games have, but I think you could see the budget difference imo.

I think dimishing returns and also budget will limit games next gen more than we probably anticipated. However I think another issue are the memory of everyone of us, because we envision games looking better than they actually are and sharing the best of the best photos/GIF doesn't help with the perception our mind creates.

Games like Gears, Horizon 1, GTS, ... look amazing. Stunning even and are personally some of the most impressive games and are in my top 10 this gen. But the games have obvious flaws and we tend to forget about them. When you think about effects like fire you envision them with Ray tracing in mind, if that makes sense. If you know start up Gears or GoW going to a level with fire, then you realize how it actually looked.

What impressed me the most about some of the best looking PS5 games shown are the density of assets, the variety and how much geometry is there. This gen we could have good looking scenery and some good looking characters. But next gen their will be more scale to everything. I don't think metal with scratches will look much better than on PS4. But I think we'll get this level of detail on a different scale unseen before. Scale and then much more natural and dynamic lighting.

Last edited:

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): thread whining, hostility
This thread is an embarrassment. A bunch of nerds that can't even succeed at being fucking nerds. If you think that R&C demo could run on a PS4 then you need your head examined.

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
EaRKLxYXgAIKuT0

This is CG level.
Yes, and it's from a cutscene which does basically the same things as photo mode.

Also TIL watching streams in 4K improves lighting, shaders and animations.
People, are we done with the "have you watched in 360p" snarky comments? If anything, it shows you have no idea what you're talking about, but still need[/] to pile up on whoever expresses a less than stellar opinion on your new favorite console. Grow up.

There were a few standouts during the presentation, but overall the leap seems pretty small. That said, developers will be able to better harness the new consoles' power later on, so it's all good. Just, the reveals get less impressive with every gen.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This thread is an embarrassment. A bunch of nerds that can't even succeed at being fucking nerds. If you think that R&C demo could run on a PS4 then you need your head examined.

Just because it couldn't run on PS4 doesn't mean there is no diminishing returns.
Regardless of what you think of it, there is no need to be hostile.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The real question is... how will this thread age? Is this thread wine or milk? I am guessing milk, but we will see.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
EaRKLxYXgAIKuT0

This is CG level.
It's still definitely a showcase of diminishing returns though. It's obviously better, but it's mainly better details, the clothing, the lighting.. it's not something that immediately stands out at a glance as a generational leap.

It's not like some previous generations where you get those "omg they finally render invidual fingers on the character's hands" or "finally hair is looking like actual hair" etc. This time it's.. "oh.. the details on the bow are nicer if I zoom in on it".
tombraiderde_comp.jpg

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Graphic fidelity will not improve a lot this gen, but they'll be able to do much more impressive things with loading times and processing power.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Sackbiy looked like a borderline PS4 game to me, everything else, there is a clear jump. There's an enormous amount of detail in the environments that you don't see on PS4.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and it's from a cutscene which does basically the same things as photo mode.

Also TIL watching streams in 4K improves lighting, shaders and animatons.
People, are we done with the "have you watched in 360p" snarky comments? If anything, it shows you have no idea what you're talking about, but still need[/] to pile up on whoever expresses a less than stellar opinion on your new favorite console. Grow up.

There were a few standouts during the presentation, but overall the leap see a pretty small. That said, developers will be a le to harness the new consoles' power later on, so it's all good. Just, the reveals get less impressive with every gen.

"Grow up because my opinion is not like yours and mine is obviously the right one."

And as I said, if we're comparing photo mode with Horizon's in game cutscene graphics, it still looks bounds better in lighting and shaders as you mentioned in your post.

Shit like this just is way to impressive.
EaRI7-HWoAAwwLM

PS3 -> PS4 -> PS5
thumb-1920-976184.jpg

d8yk2ck-97651613-a2d5-4d11-80bd-d288ce070300.jpg
EaQtVb1VcAAZRXq.png

Sorry if I can't relate. We are literally reaching CG quality of graphics.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
No, for a few reasons.

1) It's much harder to discern the graphics via a stream.

2) These are launch titles. Give Naughty Dog/Rockstar/Santa Monica 5 years with the hardware and I'm sure we'll see amazing results.

3) I think it's more that we're reaching the diminishing returns of how long devs can spend on a project. Just because these consoles CAN output higher fidelity graphics, doesn't necessarily mean that publishers can afford to have developers spend a much longer making them look better. Again, only devs with larger budgets can capitalise on the hardware fully.

NightmareT

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
easy, check the 4k video on youtube and not the videos from the streaming. the quality of the streaming was awful

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
"Grow up because my opinion is not like yours and mine is obviously the right one."

And as I said, if we're comparing photo mode with Horizon's in game cutscene graphics, it still looks bounds better in lighting and shaders as you mentioned in your post.

Shit like this just is way to impressive.
EaRI7-HWoAAwwLM

PS3 -> PS4 -> PS5
thumb-1920-976184.jpg

d8yk2ck-97651613-a2d5-4d11-80bd-d288ce070300.jpg
EaQtVb1VcAAZRXq.png

Sorry if I can't relate. We are literally reaching CG quality of graphics.
No, grow up was directed at people implying watching the video at a higher resolution will make you notice the actual big leap, otherwise you don't. Which is false, by the way. If I watch Toy Story 4 in 480p it still is above and beyond anything you might find rendered in real time on current machines at 4K. Resolution is just a tiny piece of the IQ puzzle. But good job understanding my post, I guess.

Also I never said there's no Improvement, just that it's not that big of a leap as people make it out to be. The topic at hand is diminishing returns, by the way.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Also TIL watching streams in 4K improves lighting, shaders and animations.

There were a few standouts during the presentation, but overall the leap seems pretty small. That said, developers will be able to better harness the new consoles' power later on, so it's all good. Just, the reveals get less impressive with every gen.
Well since OP mentioned IQ especially, yes, the youtube quality comment is valid

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is the reason why developers will never chase 60fps. To me, the games do look better but only Horizon and RE8 truly wowed me, but if we can get a resolution bump and better performance then it'll be worth it.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I'm surprised no one has compared Horizon 2's amazing open world desert scene with Uncharted 3's scripted linear desert scene

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
These games look way sharper and more refined than their PS4 counterparts. I can understand people without a keen eye for graphics will not be able to remember and tell the difference, but it will be obvious when directly compared.

Anyway, you still haven't seen any finished PS5 exclusive game. I can't believe to imagine what their top studios will have a couple years from now.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
that's diminishing returns. PS1would never run metal gear 2 and ps2 would never run god of war 3.

you say ps4 can, but with bad frame rate.

I'm currently playing the witcher 3 on my PS4 slim and in big cities the game dips in framerate and it affects the graphics in weird way. I'm pretty sure if big games can perform smoothly on PS5 then we'll see a difference in graphics.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I want an app with high quality videos to download from Sony and Microsoft.
I got up at 5am to watch.

They say you only have one chance at first impressions. so not really interested in watching the same thing again. If they wanted to impress with their graphics, I think they should have done it the first time.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Y'all fixated about Aloy model and ignore the environment surrounding her, the sky, clouds, detail, folliage, draw distance... the leap is apparent.

Feb 13, 2018
Let's be honest here. You either don't have fucking clue how to parse what these new machines are bringing to the table or you're just trolling.
I do perfectly know what they bring to the table, maybe you dont. Also this thread and similar voices on different platfroms show that my perception is not false. I dont remember similar threads on PS3 or PS4 at the beginning. On PS4 it was the opposite and people didnt believe that Killzone Shadowfall and Infamous: Second Son footage was real because it looked so good . In my opinion the PS5 is a PS4 Pro Pro. Thats what i see right now. I am pretty sure that graphics will improve and we will see a few games - probably exclusives - which will push the boundries and make use of the new features/SSD speed in a meaningful way and make our jaws drop.But I dont see a generational leap in performance and visuals, thats all I am saying. Dont know whats trolling about that.

Oct 31, 2017
Never knew era had so many visually impaired posters. The leap in visual fidelity is just as noticeable as the leap from PS3 > PS4. To say that Horizon 2 looks like a current gen title is absolute drivel.
Facts. I'm thinking a lot of folks parroting this nonsense watched those games on the 1080p shitty stream. I dare anyone to watch those games in 4K again and tell me that the PS4 can achieve those visuals. HZD2 and R&C in 4K completely destroy anything I've seen on consoles this gen. The difference is night and day especially with the minute attention to detail and lighting.

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
To be frank watching the stream 1080 those game didnt shine well, after watching all the trailers in 4k, ratchet and horizon really impressed me, gt 7 looked like a ps4 game, but its normal too in 2-3 year games are to look way better too

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Feels like we hear that at every generation since the PS3/Xbox 360. But the technical/visual jumps of new generations are still always super impressive, huge and exciting to me. I'm beyond hyped for the next gen plastic machines :)

Ozzie666

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Remove your brain of all PS4 Pro and Xbox One X visuals, close your eyes, try. Now picture Second Son on PS4 and compare it to Horizon Zero Dawn 2.
Also imagine the load times while you wait and zone.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
No. If the launch games look as good or better than the PS4's best games, then that means we've made excellent progress and have a good starting point for the next gen. I also noticed that several of the indie games on display were of a AAA quality which means the hardware is helping them overcome some of the challenges of having smaller teams and less money.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I watched the 4K trailers on the same 4K OLED I play my PC/PS4 Pro games with and there's no way these games belong in the same generation. Like Horizon is a beautiful game but the improvements in the sequel are substantial.

And R&C looks insane.
My thoughts exactly.

I also have my 2080ti PC hooked to my LG OLED and only Control or Metro Exodus on ultra with ray tracing has maybe been on the same level of what I saw in many of those trailers.

I get it if you are one of those people that seemingly have enough time on your hands to post endlessly about diminishing returns but claim you lack the capacity to rewatch the videos in 4K, as you are just being a disingenuous troll, but properly outfitted and looking objectively the difference is notable and obviously a step up from PS4 and even the best that we have in PC currently.