• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon 2 already looks like it's going to be the best looking game of the new generation until Horizon 3 lol. It already looks better than any other game I've ever seen. I straight up thought it was CGI during that scene with the crabs on the beach, and when Aloy jumps inside the water. Ratchet & Clank also looks like a Pixar movie.

image_horizon_forbidden_west-42164-4519_0001.jpg

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
The upgrade is really obvious.

That said, I think their "biggest upgrade ever" talk while streaming it on YouTube's shitty 1080p30 video will make for some bad optics. Especially since a fair few people will probably tune in on Mixer's higher quality streaming to watch Microsoft's first party event.

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
Hard to say. I personally don't own a 4K tv and I haven't experienced Ray tracing or HDR in person yet. But I was quite blown away with the PS5 presentation

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
That Kena bridge of something game doesn't look like it could run on a PS4 at all. But this happens every gen anyway. People downplayed the PS3/360 gen until they saw the first Gears of War.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I posted this many times, but where we are heading is the subtler effects. Things like collision detection/convex hulls, animations, lighting, AI, and world scope will be pushed to the next level. Not to mention much better IQ.

I'll take all of these things with great pleasure.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Ratchet isn't a launch title. There was no date on the trailer. Spiderman will be Insomniac's launch title. We probably will not see this until 2022 at a guess.
Insomniac are prolific, it won't take them until 2022 to release Ratchet. It was already one of the most polished looking games there with actual gameplay demonstrated.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Hard to say. I personally don't own a 4K tv and I haven't experienced Ray tracing or HDR in person yet. But I was quite blown away with the PS5 presentation
HDR will be an eye opener for you. Even on my PS4 Pro is was quite a noticeable jump from games that don't have it.

4K sets should be super duper cheap this coming year. Although obviously some budgets are tight right now.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It's not that we are at the point of diminishing returns, it's that the time, money, and required cumulative labor is massive to get anything better than what we have.
Improvements to more subtle things, like lighting and reflections, will be the next major differences. They already are, frankly.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this many times, but where we are heading is the subtler effects. Things like collision detection/convex hulls, animations, lighting, AI, and world scope will be pushed to the next level. Not to mention much better IQ.

I'll take all of these things with great pleasure.
Yeap. I think the complexity of set pieces will see a great jump too

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to argue against late-gen PS2->PS3 being the biggest jump. But still, big jumps from PS3 to PS4 and from PS4 to PS5, ESPECIALLY since all of the games I'm showing here are several years into their systems lifecycles except PS5's, which is probably in year one. I'd personally argue that PS4->PS5 is a bigger jump than PS3->PS4, but I don't know.

Annotation-2020-06-12-001936.png

Annotation-2020-06-12-001434.png

jO8d21.jpg

jO8VYH.jpg

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
The pro/ one x mean the leap wont be massive, but the sheer number of effects on screen at once on ratchet 2 was insane and definitely a big leap.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
i mean all these game could be ps4 games with some concessions, the only thing that looked impossible on current gen was rachet and clank due to the worm holes.

more of testament of sony's first party abilty to max out the ps4, hopefully well see the same jump mid gen

Cicero

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand "diminishing returns" arguments. Do 3D graphics look photorealistic? We won't hit diminishing returns until they do.

Here's a screenshot from a cutting edge game versus a screenshot from a live action movie:

qs9l18sa5fu11.jpg

true10grit3715.jpg

We are decades away from "diminishing returns" in real-time computer graphics.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
No, I could already see big jump. The environment in Horizon 2 looks insane and Ratchet looks like a CGI movie.

jO8Iq3.png

jO8ZY0.jpg

jO8d21.jpg

jO8VYH.jpg

jO8KFi.png

jO870o.png

If you just take a glance, yeah it might feel like a small jump but the tiny detail adds so much to the overall image it's incredible. On close ups Aloy has peach fuzz on her face and in general characters feel much better situated in their environment. Once you get used to this detail, last gen will look much worse than it does now.

Looks so much more detailed and *realistic*. Like a lot of great looking games this gen have derpy face models (sometimes related to lighting) in gameplay. If you take a close look at the HZD screen and compare to the HFW, her model just looks a lot more real and alive. And this still lends to cartoony games like Ratchet too.

To say nothing of the environments, ray tracing, or the SSD, etc. And the IQ is really really sharp.

The stream just didn't show this well enough unfortunately.

Last edited:

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The jump is immediately noticed even on a phone screen. I imagine those trailers look especially nice on a big 4k tv screen (haven't tried yet)

You could make them PS4 games for sure, and they'd look like ps4 games. And they'd load and have pop in and frame rate problems like a ps4 game. You can make ps4 games work on switch too, but it's the same thing.

Just wait till Rockstar shows everyone how to push a PS5 and XSX.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Lol uh no the fuck they don't. What we saw today was absolutely insane. I don't know if it's just that not everyone's eyes are as discerning, but the lighting accuracy, the foliage and grass density, the scope, the particles. All of those things combine together to make MUCH prettier games.

Lots of great looking PS4 games, but the seams are much more obvious, you can see things fading from flat cutouts/ lower detail objects. Reflection are very obviously faked.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Yeah, these games are impressive, but the sense of a visual leap isn't there. Really each leap as far as 3D consoles goes has felt smaller than the last, but it does feel like things have crossed some threshold this time around. Horizon was probably the best looking game there, but ultimately it just looked like a really good version of Horizon. I think that's part of why you've seen such focus on load times and frame rates, and why Microsoft has been so willing to keep releasing Xbox One versions of everything, because they know they need a selling point other than visual awe.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
They may LOOK like ps4 games but some of them are doing things not possible on ps4

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
idk man, Ratchet and Clank looked hella impressive, and the time warps looked like something that would be impossible on a PS4. That's not something that's possible without an SSD.

Graphically a lot of these games looked great, and on top of looking great, the creative freedom given to developers thanks to the SSD will be great. Your already seeing it with Ratchet and Clank, what you saw in that trailer just isn't possible on a PS4 with a regular hard drive.
But it is possible with a regular drive. There was a whole level in Titanfall 2 that was just like that. I'm sure an SSD just makes it easier.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They don't don't. Look at the direct feed 4K videos and screens. Nuff said!

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand "diminishing returns" arguments. Do 3D graphics look photorealistic? We won't hit diminishing returns until they do.

We are decades away from "diminishing returns" in real-time computer graphics.

you and a lot of people dont seem to understand what diminishing returns means

DR does not mean we have peaked in graphics

DR does not mean the games we are getting next gen dont look better than last gen

DR means the returns each gen are diminishing. We need huge HUGE amounts of power now to see diminished returns on the graphics. How anyone can argue that is beyond me

mario world->M64 MASSIVE.
Tekken 3->Soul Calibur HUGE
Each gen after that has been a nice, good sizeable leap, but the leaps are WITHOUT A DOUBT getting smaller and smaller while each time the jumps in power are a fuckload bigger than they used to be in the genesis/snes days and gens after.

We definitely have a long way to go to reach photorealistic visuals. But we are without any shadow of a doubt hitting diminishing returns each new gen.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Hard disagree with the OP. The things these games were doing lighting wise are not possible on current gen consoles AND most PCs out there right now (PC master race sit down, I have a PC too).

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
HDR will be an eye opener for you. Even on my PS4 Pro is was quite a noticeable jump from games that don't have it.

4K sets should be super duper cheap this coming year. Although obviously some budgets are tight right now.

I can't wait til Black Friday so I can finally get a new tv to go with my PS5. Should be glorious

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
The jump is immediately noticed even on a phone screen. I imagine those trailers look especially nice on a big 4k tv screen (haven't tried yet)

You could make them PS4 games for sure, and they'd look like ps4 games. And they'd load and have pop in and frame rate problems like a ps4 game. You can make ps4 games work on switch too, but it's the same thing.

Just wait till Rockstar shows everyone how to push a PS5 and XSX.
Just to imagine those games downgraded to shitty jaguar cores, it's sad.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Like everyone said, watch the 4k versions of the trailers, it's a pretty big difference from what we were shown in the livestream. Wish the trailers were HDR encoded as well, the games would look even better then.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Some of y'all need to get your eyes checked. The improvement in quality was massive and immediately apparent even with the shit stream quality.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I know you just can't compare end of life from current gen to early next gen titles, but ignoring other aspects such as faster loading showcase in Rift Apart, resolution bump, framerate, etc. This is probably the first time I didn't notice any significant improvement in IQ for next gen showcase, most if not all these games from PS5 event look like they could be a PS4 games. I wold even argue that TLoU Part II IQ looks better than all these games shown.
You are just expecting launch window games to go for realism instead of density

You'll get people doing realism heavy late 2021 and beyond.

Most of those games show went for bigger dense worlds

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
Wow... I just watched all the Direct feed 4K trailers on my tv at home and this stuff is really mind blowing!

It's tough because we can see cutscenes that look incredible on the consoles we have now, so it won't really start sinking in until we're actually playing stuff that looks this good.

I can't wait for Digital Foundry to analyze and compare what we've seen here today to current-gen stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see any game that looked like this

(yes, I picked a software interpolated 60fps version for a reason, gimme 60fps CG graphics)

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Was never about graphics, thought the reflections in ratchet were dope. It's about R&C teleporting to 6 different worlds within 6 seconds with no load times. It's literally a mechanic in the game and there's a weapon that utilizes some of the tech too

Jun 26, 2018
Is photorealistic really the end goal though? I'm pretty sure I'd stop playing games where you kill people (which is like most games tbh) if we get any more realistic than we currently are...

Also diminishing returns can also happen in the form of practicality, I.e. the labor or budget required to produce higher end graphics become not worth it to the publishers and so graphic improvements will become a lesser factors as they shift their focus to other features

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's my first time experiencing a generation transition, and in my opinion the leap is more than satisfactory, the games shown today were absurd in terms of graphic quality.
Do I understand the disappointment of some, perhaps because of previous jumps that were more impressive at first? But I don't see how what was shown today was less than '' great '', probably a matter of opinion.
You can't look at the jump from N64 to gamecube and the jump from PS2 to PS3 and think this is anywhere in the same league lol