• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I mean, not by a significant margin. This generation has been ongoing since 2013 or six years, by the time the next-gen launches it'll have been seven years.

Last gen the 360 launched in 2005 and the PS3 in 2006 with the following systems launching in 2013. So it was 8 years for 360 and 7 for PS3. Not a super huge difference.
Not super huge but probably enough to let some of the studios enough time to release one more game on the platform.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
This generation was all about battle royale, so yeah, Fortnite.

Soulsborne might count as well, but I see them more as a decade defining franchise considering Demon Souls, and Dark Souls 1 and 2 where originally previous gen games.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely Fortnite, follow by Souls and Destiny (not necessarily in that order).

Souls is older gen but really blew up in this decade.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna agree with a bunch of people here. I feel like Destiny popularized the "MMO-lite" genre. MMO's have generally been relegated to PC and have a different kind of depth. Destiny made that style of game accessible to the console audience.

And Fortnite obviously.

What's with the Death Stranding posts though? Lol.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Fornite for the f2p success and Destiny for the big GAAS moment.

EDIT: And very difficult to find defining AAA franchise when having two great episodes of a single player AAA games during the same generation is so difficult to do.

On indie side we can use Ori maybe.

Last edited:

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Splatoon I'd say is a pretty big deal. 2 games in and the franchise is close to 15 million.

Fortnite is obviously huge, but its a different beast altogether.

The Witcher didn't make a huge splash until 3.

Still, nothing quite as big as Wii Sports last gen.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Fortnite.

The 'column inches' generated for a loading screen earlier this year alone puts it in that category.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I think Destiny easily has the biggest compilation of design trends that have seeped into everything else.

Padded quest objectives, loot, shared-world, "hold-to-press-a-button" schemes and stifled content with expansions being sold at slightly less than reasonable prices.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
And yet, even considering its very good success, I still think Warframe is undervalued by lots of people in comparison to Destiny.

If you're lucid enough to recognize Warframe is undervalued, then obviously it doesn't qualify as a generation defining franchise.