• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny is really the only new series I can think of that's gotten more than 1 installment in.

The Evil Within?

Jan 11, 2018
I don't agree with this take. Yeah, we probably had more AAA games, but less games overall and some of the best games are made outside of that space. Then again, I'm a quality over quantity guy. I rather have standalone titles that are brilliant but might never become franchises (Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, Sekiro, Astro Bot) than series that are eventually run into the ground. Also, with certain games being a service there is less need for say, Fortnite to get a sequel.

That's fine. I also think we quality was higher last gen as well, as was originality. To me this gen was great, but featured more refinement and less innovation and original ideas. A lot of the new IP failed to distinguish themselves as much as past generations, but rather felt like (to me) fresh coats of paint on ideas that had already been well established. There is no better example of this than Bloodborne. At no time while I played it did it not feel like a Souls game. Sekiro was much better at actually delivering something original.

My other gripe is the rise of the open world genre, which saw many of my favorite long time franchises release what I felt were big steps back in terms of fun. Breath of the Wild and The Phantom pain were hugely disappointing, stuffed to the core with boring open world activities. And even Uncharted 4, while not open world, felt bloated.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
The fast and smooth movements, the wallrunning, the grappling hook, the fast slides - these are movement elements that were implemented in some form into practically all big shooters of the generation, including Call of Duty. Even the titan you call in after a timer that passes by that you can accelerate by getting kills: that influenced Destiny, Call of Duty, Battlefield and everybody else, and it's still used today. If we had shooters this generation that feel really acrobatic (Destiny, Apex Legends, Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare/Black Ops 3/Infinite Warfare, Doom 2016, Rage 2, etc., even Dying Light to an extent) it's very much thanks to how Titanfall finally nailed how to do fast, smooth, acrobatic movement in first person with controllers in mind. It was the first game that legit made a step forward in that sense since like Modern Warfare in 2007.
Yeah no, not really. Titanfall was maybe the "first" but saying it influenced so much games is quite a reach. Advanced Warfare or Destiny were released only a few months after and had a much bigger impact.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
GTA 5.
DOTA 2
Fortnite
Overwatch
DayZ
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Surgeon Simulator (The game that kickstarted the "career simulator" genre and inspired Goat Simulator.)
Stardew Valley
QWOP / Getting Over It
Line Rider (Musical rhythm)

I think those are the genre defining ones.
GTA V is from last gen

Oct 27, 2017
The fast and smooth movements, the wallrunning, the grappling hook, the fast slides - these are movement elements that were implemented in some form into practically all big shooters of the generation, including Call of Duty. Even the titan you call in after a timer that passes by that you can accelerate by getting kills: that influenced Destiny, Call of Duty, Battlefield and everybody else, and it's still used today. If we had shooters this generation that feel really acrobatic (Destiny, Apex Legends, Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare/Black Ops 3/Infinite Warfare, Doom 2016, Rage 2, etc., even Dying Light to an extent) it's very much thanks to how Titanfall finally nailed how to do fast, smooth, acrobatic movement in first person with controllers in mind. It was the first game that legit made a step forward in that sense since like Modern Warfare in 2007.

Most of those games you mentioned were already announced or long into development when Titanfall dropped.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
All lot of people are listing single games rather than franchises. I don't really think I'd consider Fortnite to be a franchise yet in the same way that Mass Effect and The Elder Scrolls and Mario are franchises. It's the generation's biggest game, yeah, but I wouldn't personally count it as a franchise until there's at least a spin-off or sequel that gets a big following.

I'd say this generation has been defined more by last generation franchises failing to successfully make the jump into this one rather than having genre-defining franchises of its own, i.e. Dragon Age: Inquisition, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Fallout 4.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I feel like PUBG would be the genre-defining title. As it's the cause for Fortnite even going that route.

There's definitely a difference between genre-defining and what's more popular.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Destiny is what first comes to mind. I know it also came out on the PS3 and the 360, but I feel like it cemented the GAAS trend many AAA games would follow later in the gen.
Destiny for better or worse
In that sense, Destiny has been pretty definitive for this gen.
PUBG, Destiny, and...The Witcher 3?

I'm honestly wondering how many people on Resetera played Warframe. :)

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly wondering how many people on Resetera played Warframe. :)

I've played Warframe, before it even hit consoles. The difference is that Destiny made it to a much wider mainstream audience and popularized the shlooter genre. Modern Warfare wasn't the first modern military shooter, it just was the one that had the right mix and came out at the right time.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
I've played Warframe, before it even hit consoles. The difference is that Destiny made it to a much wider mainstream audience and popularized the shlooter genre. Modern Warfare wasn't the first modern military shooter, it just was the one that had the right mix and came out at the right time.

And yet, even considering its very good success, I still think Warframe is undervalued by lots of people in comparison to Destiny.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
SteamWorld (Dig, Dig 2, Heist, Quest)
MLB The Show - Huge innovations for the genre that nobody else wants to match for some reason (Franchise/Career save transfers, dynamic difficulty)

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Destiny if you are talking about a multiple entry franchise, but Fortnite is probably the game that defined this generation.

scar654

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda cheating, it released last gen but got big on this one: Shovel Knight. Not by gameplay but:
  • Guest character in many games.
  • New games and DLCs coming soon.
  • It defined the relationship between Nintendo and indies. (By allowing amiibo and appears on Smash)

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Destiny. So much of what destiny was paved the way for so many other games. Everyone wanted living games after. Fortnite became that

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This gen marked the beginning of live service as a major force in the industry. So Destiny, Overwatch, and Fortnite would be the big 3 in that space.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
Alot of people saying Destiny, but does that count since the first one was also on previous gen consoles?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
It was Call of Duty last gen and Fortnite this gen.

I know Fortnite wasn't the game that invented the Battle Royale style, Day Z and PUBG and even things like The Culling were out before it. But it was the game that won the biggest audience and will probably leave the biggest imprint in gaming in the future. A great similar example I can give as a horror enthusiast is Alone in the Dark invented the style of horror game that's within Resident Evil before it, but Resident Evil was the popular title that left the imprint on the genre that everyone remembers for it all these years later.

Nothing even comes close to being as generation defining or influencing as COD and Fortnite to these last two generations. They're not really my type of thing, but there's no denying their worldwide impact and just how huge and influential these two games have been and how they've shaken up the whole industry.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I believe Dark Souls philosophy paid off this gen for other developers: God of War, Nioh, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, The Surge, Lords of the Fallen, Darksiders 3, lots of 2D indie games.

Also Witcher 3 will influence games to come (it's already happening) and Breath of the Wild as well.

Even Naughty Dog games or the new Gears 5 are experiencing with open areas.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's limiting to not consider games like PUBG and Fornite franchises. They are one-entry live games, sure, but have built up an entire ongoing service+multimedia franchise akin to Minecraft (including esports, merchandise, and media tie-ins) and are ported to be made available on almost every new device that comes out.

OP, what you're asking for is more of an acclaimed, high-selling series in which the IP started and bookended within the generation. Of which I'd honestly say I can't think of any.