• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I like my cushy 5am - 1pm pipefitter gig. I gladly work OT when it comes around though because it's not always available, and it's a good time to save extra money. It also helps that I'm union.

Three 12 hour shifts would be my ideal work week though.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I work 12-16 hours (plus 1 and a half hours of commute) on a 6 days week and I feel so tired and burned out since I also have shift changes with little to no rest, but it's also hard to find a job that doesn't treat you like a slave these days in my region or in other nearby cities. My current job tried to test the Monday to Friday week of work and the owner just said no due to that doesn't work anywhere and because you aren't committed to the company if you think that way.

I just felt bad when my brothers told me that I live at the company and come to the house just to sleep. Even my phone auto filled my home address with the company's one.

Sorry, just wanted to vent a little since it's almost 11 hours into my shift and I may be staying overtime.

Easier said than done, but find another job as soon as possible. Killing yourself for another's profit is no way to live.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
love the work-life balance my job has implemented over the last couple of years. Despite a 40 hour work week, I really only work 5-6 hours a day and 2-3 of those days are from home.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
My wife works 9 hour shifts and she has to be there 15 minutes early and it pisses me off every time I think about it. The rationale is that she gets a break so the time is rolled in, but she regularly gets booked through her break and eats her lunch in 5 minutes between clients

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's honestly too much and I like my job. I'm fortunate in that area. I'd love a 4 day work week at 8 hours.

I work close to 50 now.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
8 hours is also outdated.

It's 2020 and we have internet, when it will be normal to work from home?
Some jobs do allow this. I have a friend who is an investigator for M&T , and they've begun to allow him to work from home on certain occasions. Every Friday is a from home day, and if weather conditions are harsh he works from home.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a zookeeper, and I can barely get all the work that needs to get done in an 8 hour day. I do not understand people who have too much time in a day.

DAHGAMING

Oct 26, 2017
I have to drive a bus about for around 9 hours and 1 hour break each day, plus overtime that i have todo. Fucking fantastic.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Remember on TV when people said that thanks to robots and computers in the future, we would all only have to work part time? How gullible were you if you believed it?

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
This post and others. Are you thinking of one work type? I'm a cnc machinist for an aircraft industry part supplier. That requires hands on setups and part deburring etc etc.

I swear sometimes this place seems like it's in a close-minded bubble with how little thought or knowledge of folks outside of your bubble there seems to be.

Sorry, it's early and I gotta work (55 hour weeks).

I agree, my husband works in human services. The people he works with cannot care for themselves, they go to program during the day (where he works as a manager) and back to their group home/parents house in the evening. There is no working from home or work stops after 5 pm, these people can literally not care for themselves.

I use to work in a Mental Health Treatment Apartment Program and we had staff 24/7. Many people worked their shift and then did an overnight if the overnight person was sick or on vacation.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think 40hr work weeks are unreasonable at all.

I think a major problem is too many employees are labeled as exempt employees in the US. This is a major problem in brewing, breweries trying to label a freaking bottling line tech as exempt. Yeah, no. Pay them their damn overtime morons.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I work 12-16 hours (plus 1 and a half hours of commute) on a 6 days week and I feel so tired and burned out since I also have shift changes with little to no rest, but it's also hard to find a job that doesn't treat you like a slave these days in my region or in other nearby cities. My current job tried to test the Monday to Friday week of work and the owner just said no due to that doesn't work anywhere and because you aren't committed to the company if you think that way.

I just felt bad when my brothers told me that I live at the company and come to the house just to sleep. Even my phone auto filled my home address with the company's one.

Sorry, just wanted to vent a little since it's almost 11 hours into my shift and I may be staying overtime.
That sucks.

I once worked for a place that was run by people like that too. The higher-ups there had the gall to lay off half the company, then tell the other half less than a week later (in a "why we did that" meeting, no less) that "we're not a 9-5 company and if you want to work that way, you should think about the importance of the work we're doing here" or some shit along those lines.

The company makes fucking sales software.

Needless to say, the company's been hemmoraging people over the past few years because it's run by a bunch of incompetent assholes who clearly don't give a shit about their workers.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
As a doctor, I would love an 8 hour workday.
I usually complain in these threads about residency hours and how a 40 hr workweek sounds like an upgrade, but I'll refrain this time.
I think a shorter workday would only apply to professions where it's easier to find/train more employees to cover the work to make up for the lost productivity. That becomes tricky with highly trained experts like physicians

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Your employer needs to employ more people.

Not all businesses can just hire more people, like it is that simple. Lots of Zoo's are not for profit, they only have X amount of money for labor each month/year and they cannot go over it. My husband's job in human services was over labor cost last month so next month they have no relief help, which they have daily. Not all jobs can just magically come up with more money to hire people.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Not all businesses can just hire more people, like it is that simple. Lots of Zoo's are not for profit, they only have X amount of money for labor each month/year and they cannot go over it. My husband's job in human services was over labor cost last month so next month they have no relief help, which they have daily. Not all jobs can just magically come up with more money to hire people.

There'd be a lot more business if you didn't have to pay people

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
The 8 hour (7 hours work + 1 hour lunch) work day was forgotten decades ago in North America, in favour of a 9 hour work day (8 hours work + 1 hour lunch) and companies in the UK have since been gradually moving across to that :(
My last job (web developer position) did mandatory 10 hour days (9 hours work + 1 hour lunch), 5 days a week. Add to this a ~3 hour daily round trip commute, and working from home was not allowed. Following this schedule for 1.5 years played a key role in triggering my nervous breakdown.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
6 hours is the ideal work time per day... On the future will look to this time lik stupid times...

An adult 40+ don't have cognitive capacity to work more than 6 hours there is a lot of studies about that.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting a new job in a month and will be expected to work about 50 hours a week. The job itself is intense and has strict deadlines for reports, so let's say I'm slacking behind, then I may even have to work longer just to submit my work. On the flip side, I will be getting compensated really well, but it will be a difference for me. I already work 40 hours, but my current job feels so stress-free, so this will be a change of pace.

Regardless, I've accepted that not every job will feel like the one I currently have and in my field, I may have to tough it out and work long hours like this in order to move up. And if I enjoy the work I do, 50 hours will feel like a breeze to me. I already get anxious when I'm on vacation for too long because I actually enjoy working. lol

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
In my country some companies are experimenting with 6 hour work day and they have great success. Employees are happier, they spend more time with families, hobbies, staying healthy, etc. And because of that productivity is skyrocketing, less time wasted in Fasebook or whatever, less time wasted pointlessly chatting around water cooler.
It makes so much sense, I hope it finds implementation in law across many countries in the next few years.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think 40hr work weeks are unreasonable at all.

I think a major problem is too many employees are labeled as exempt employees in the US. This is a major problem in brewing, breweries trying to label a freaking bottling line tech as exempt. Yeah, no. Pay them their damn overtime morons.

I'll give you another one. Movie theater employees are exempt from overtime because they are classified as entertainment workers. It's ludicrous

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Isn't it proven that in a 8 hour work day on average most people really only give about 2 to 3 hours of actual full attention work? I remember seeing that somewhere.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I'm getting ready for 10-12 hours a day starting next week, 8 hours is child's play. Though that's only when we have performances.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
By every metric we should've easily managed 20 hours a week at an absolute maximum, with the same or even higher pay. But alas, the fruit of many people's labour goes to shareholders instead of the one doing the actual work.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I'm a 10 - 5 type of guy.

Supposed to be 830-5 but I achieve my objectives and nobody has really said anything.

I think people assume I'm at meetings.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
6 hours is the ideal work time per day... On the future will look to this time lik stupid times...

An adult 40+ don't have cognitive capacity to work more than 6 hours there is a lot of studies about that.
Most knowledge workers don't work 8 hours straight. They sprint, rest, repeat.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Are the people advocating working for less time also ok with getting paid less as well?

I think that is what it always comes down to and I am pretty sure the answer is a hard no.

Oct 27, 2017
Who do you think you are boasting to with that? It is not a badge of honor.
Lol I wasn't boasting hence the implication that I was grumpy and tired.

Just between this and "can you believe people shower at night instead of the morning" thread have me question if people actually think about those of us lower middle class folks who get... gasp... dirty.

But yes, it sucks and pays a toll.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was taught that the standard workday came about because employers were forcing people to work crazy long hours in factories and the government mandated standard working hours for labour rights.

Am I misremembering?

When did it all turn around to when some people started glorifying and in some cases willingly working 16 hour work days?

Its arguable now that even an 8 hour workday is outdated because a lot of people aren't productive for 8 full hours and can complete their daily tasks in less time.
IIRC people were actually killed and targeted for violence in the struggle to have a 40hr work week and the weekend off.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I wish people had jobs they Liked. But i also agree that the work ethics imposed on people are very unhealthy these days.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This post and others. Are you thinking of one work type? I'm a cnc machinist for an aircraft industry part supplier. That requires hands on setups and part deburring etc etc.

I swear sometimes this place seems like it's in a close-minded bubble with how little thought or knowledge of folks outside of your bubble there seems to be.

Sorry, it's early and I gotta work (55 hour weeks).

Sounds like you got the short end of the stick, my friend.

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
Here is all the data you need on working hours :

ourworldindata.org

Working Hours

How much time do people across the world spend working? How have working hours changed over time, and what do these changes matter for people’s lives? Explore data and research on working hours.

I also recently reduced my hours due to child care.
If to people are working , you cant expect that both manage 40h/w and take care of a household including kids. THat should neot be the norm

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Are the people advocating working for less time also ok with getting paid less as well?

I think that is what it always comes down to and I am pretty sure the answer is a hard no.
I think people want to work for less time while being paid the same.

The reasoning behind this is because for office work at least, a lot of people are only productive for about 5-6 hours (if that) out of those 8 hours, and space out or do other tasks to recover/relax for the rest, because it's very difficult to crank out work continuously for 8+ hours straight day after day. So from the perspective of the employer, you're still getting around the same 6 hours of useful work out of your employees regardless of whether they're in the office for 6 hours or 8 hours.

The argument for having your workers come in and stay for 6 hours then makes more sense for both the employee and the employer. The employer gets the same amount of work from their employee, except the employee is more rested and happier, which reduces the rate of human error, sick days, and turnover, while improving the quality of work. All of which measurably save money for the employer, while spending the same amount on salary.

For the employee, the obvious improvement in quality of life means they are happier, more productive, don't resent their work as much, if at all, and are healthier. It also reduces possible vices that people may turn to as a way to soften the blow from shitty working conditions, such as alcohol, eating, drugs, and so on.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I wish people had jobs they Liked. But i also agree that the work ethics imposed on people are very unhealthy these days.
It's not just about not liking your job. You might also want to do some voluntary work in your free time or support/work on a project as recreational activity.

I reduced from 38,5 hours a week to 35 and I will actually earn more.

less hours/same work does not mean you are paid less.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just about not liking your job. You might also want to do some voluntary work in your free time or support/work on a project as recreational activity.
A lot of people barely have time for their children, let alone voluntary work. Even if they'd like to. But sure. That can be very fulfilling as well.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In my experience, in most professional careers, 40 hours a week is a pipe dream anyway. Does it happen? Sure, but its not the norm.
For real. Seeing Era always bitch about 8-hour work days and I'm over here wondering where the hell they are working for only 8 hours a day. That would be amazing.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people barely have time for their children, let alone voluntary work. Even if they'd like to. But sure. That can be very fulfilling as well.
Not everyone has children.

Point is: Even if I like my job shorter hours would be good because they offer you opportunities to effectively manage your free time in a way to keep you healthy, manage a good life/work balance and therefore work more effectively.