• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
The shit should be taxed to the moon and back and be banished behind closed doors. I get the urge to punch all the slightly drunken idiots on public transport who can barely handle themselves. The stench, the noise, the babbling, yuck.

E: Well I guess urge to punch was exaggerating, more like "wish to kick them out of the train" 🤷‍♂️ Of course that's what a certain group of people (who probably do exactly what I criticized) will latch onto.

Lol this is just getting pathetic. You can lead a clear and healthy life with alcohol in it.
Thats why they used comparative.

Last edited:

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The shit should be taxed to the moon and back and be banished behind closed doors. I get the urge to punch all the slightly drunken idiots on public transport who can barely handle themselves. The stench, the noise, the babbling, yuck.

Thats why they used comparative.

You feel the urge to punch people because they're noisy and still think they are the problem? Honestly, sober people like this are usually the worst in any group. Gotta cut em out as soon as they start talking like this. Good riddance.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

In short, whiskey was extremely cheap and extremely available, and American consumption soared as a result. As Okrent describes inLast Call, the number of distilleries in the nation increased fivefold, to 14,000 in between 1790 and 1810. He writes that "in cities it was widely understood that common workers would fail to come to work on Mondays, staying home to wrestle with the echoes and aftershocks of a weekend binge. By 1830, the tolling of a town bell at 11 a.m. and again at 4 p.m. marked 'grog time.'"

kind of off topic here, but... huh? wasn't "the weekend" as we know it not a thing in the US until the 1930s?

yeah the drinkers seems like the ones who can barely handle themselves in this scenario. lol

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
You said length of life would be (more) significant as to whether someones opinion has weight and that's not true.

You could say experience does, but do you really want to compare scares? It comes down to each individual resilience, how each event is perceived — the qualia problem.

And there we are: Facing one another claiming each opinion would be "worth more" when in fact they are equal.
I get what you're saying, it's why I referenced it in my first comment.

I just feel experience and life length are heavily linked, but at the same time understand someone who has lived in a single location for 50 years may not have experienced as much as a 30 year old who spent their time travelling the world.

I guess we are getting slightly off topic, but I understand your point.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I get what you're saying, it's why I referenced it in my first comment.

I just feel experience and life length are heavily linked, but at the same time understand someone who has lived in a single location for 50 years may not have experienced as much as a 30 year old who spent their time travelling the world.

I guess we are getting slightly off topic, but I understand your point.
Travelling, etc. has nothing to do with it. Some people are lucky to be born in rich families, have a good health or live in a country where they offer you a lot of security as in healthcare, others dont. Sometimes its just a few aspects, sometimes all of it. Individual people have different levels of resilience from birth on.

How each individual deals with problems thrown at them... that's what counts.

Does society have a problem with alcohol? No.
Do individuals abuse it? Yes.
Has society become too dependent? No, you can very well live without drinking. It is only a problem for individuals who used to be too dependent.

I personally think its way more impressive for a young person who has not developed a proper strategy to deal with stress and problems to solve them in other ways than alcohol than it is for an older person who should actually know better, be less impulsive and have a variety of stress relieving alternatives at hand due to experience.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Travelling, etc. has nothing to do with it. Some people are lucky to be born in rich families, have a good health or live in a country where they offer you a lot of security as in healthcare, others dont. Sometimes its just a few aspects, sometimes all of it. Individual people have different levels of resilience from birth on.

How each individual deals with problems thrown at them... that's what counts.

Does society have a problem with alcohol? No.
Do individuals abuse it? Yes.
Has society become too dependent? No, you can very well live without drinking. It is only a problem for individuals who used to be too dependent.

I personally think its way more impressive for a young person who has not developed a proper strategy to deal with stress and problems to solve them in other ways than alcohol than it is for an older person who should actually know better, be less impulsive and have a variety of stress relieving alternatives at hand due to experience.
Why do you keep taking examples and running with them to discuss why they are wrong?

I think you are misinformed if you don't believe that travelling and experiencing how other people and societies live, has no bearing on an individuals own self reflection and experience of the world.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. We seem unable to deal with our own brain, with our existence and everything we expect from ourselves.
Medication, alcohol, other drugs, you name it, we need it.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you keep taking examples and running with them to discuss why they are wrong?

I think you are misinformed if you don't believe that travelling and experiencing how other people and societies live, has no bearing on an individuals own self reflection and experience of the world.
It has nothing to do with whether or not you are in need of a drink. Just because I have lived in a city for 50 years does not mean I have more (or less) the need to drink alcoholic beverages or am more (or less) dependent on them to deal with problems or get through life.

Why'd experiencing how other societies live change my consumption of alcoholic beverages in any way?

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Yes, at least we're I'm at in southern Oregon. Don't get me wrong I drink from time to time. But most people I know are borderline alcoholic. And if you tell someone you don't really drink..or that you don't like beer you get this weird expression from people like you are weird! And pretty much the only social type situations in my town revolve around going to a bar.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
It has nothing to do with whether or not you are in need of a drink. Just because I have lived in a city for 50 years does not mean I have more (or less) the need to drink alcoholic beverages or am more (or less) dependent on them to deal with problems or get through life.

Why'd experiencing how other societies live change my consumption of alcoholic beverages in any way?
What are you talking about? That's not my point at all!! You've got it twisted.

We were talking about 'entire life' and life experience (you brought it up...remember) as a condition to a statement. You obviously just want to argue, so I'm out.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about? That's not my point at all!! You've got it twisted.

We were talking about 'entire life' and life experience (you brought it up...remember) as a condition to a statement. You obviously just want to argue, so I'm out.
We are talking about alcohol in society. Unlike your factors mine actually matter as to whether or not someone consumnes alcohol.

travelling and age has nothing to do with it

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I vomit with the smallest amount of alcohol now. I miss it dearly. Socializing sucks without it.

Luckily... there's still weed!

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. It's so deeply ingrained in society that it's now almost impossible to maintain any kind of social life without being around it and a lot of people are so insecure about their dependency that they take it as a personal insult if you tell them you don't partake. Honestly, fuck alcohol.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is NOT being "allergic".

What the fuck. I mean there are people who truly cant drink a sip because it means death to them (due to medication) or who have a real allergic reaction.

Getting a headache and feeling awful might be bad to you, but do not compare it to an allergic reaction.

That's lack of respect and insulting towards those who have a allergic reaction.
What the hell is this?

"Allergic reaction" doesn't instantly mean "death". Many allergic reactions are mild to moderate. It's not any less an allergic reaction because they don't literally goddamn die.

My sister is allergic to bee stings, in that the site around the affected area immediately welts up, bright red, and rarely, she needs to go to the clinic. Is that "insulting" to people who immediately go into anaphylactic shock?

Chill out. Mild allergies exist.

(Also, there is anywhere from mild to severe alcohol intolerance, a slightly different mechanism, but it still has a wild range of symptoms.)

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
We are talking about alcohol in society. Unlike your factors mine actually matter as to whether or not someone consumnes alcohol.

travelling and age has nothing to do with it
I never said age or travelling had anything to do with alcoholism.

My original point was that when you say 'entire life' as a condition to a statement, age is very much a factor to take into consideration regardless of what you are referencing. Nothing you've said has changed my opinion of that.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Never have and never will drink alcohol and it hasn't done me any bad. I pick my poisons, especially when it's literal poison, like alcohol, so it's not a hard choice for me. I already consume too much bad stuff with the unhealthy food I like.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think about this pretty regularly. When you look into the statistics on the negative social effects of alcohol it's pretty astonishing the attitudes that are still in place.

Oct 31, 2017
Ever since I've turned 21 I've fucking dreaded going out. All anyone ever wants to do is go to a bar/club!!! And/or waste money eating expensive garbage.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, I've always though of the US as pretty puritan when it comes to alcohol. 2-3 drinks of an evening and they're done. US do you think you're drinking fewer than 6 drinks a week on average? If not you're a loooong way off being reliant on alcohol.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
I don't drink and I would say we absolutely are. There are way too many people in my life that exclude me from get-togethers because they want to hang out and drink without the perceived awkwardness of a non-drinker in the room.

hear you

whenever someone says lets hang out, it always involves a 'bar' or a 'drink', and it infuriates me

where's peoples sense of adventure or magnificence???

lets go to the climbing centre, kayaking at the lake, a cross country ramble, get the bikes out, theatre and a coffee, seaside with an ice cream, the gym even... anything

teetotal for 18 months, and never been happier to be away from all that nonsense

ps. and yeah, do feel excluded from bits some of the time

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hear you

whenever someone says lets hang out, it always involves a 'bar' or a 'drink', and it infuriates me

lets go to the climbing centre, kayaking at the lake, a cross country ramble, get the bikes out, theatre and a coffee, seaside with an ice cream, the gym even... anything

teetotal for 18 months, and never been happier to be away from all that nonsense

Those are day activities. Which, by the way, can be improved through drinking. You mix those with bars and dancing at night.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
hear you

Did you actually try suggesting these activities to the people that always want to get a drink? If so what was their reaction?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I like alcohol. My brother and I usually play Worms W.M.D once or twice a month. We get a case of beer each, call each other on Facebook Messenger and have an awesome night. You never know your night is amazing until they realize you put jetpack to unlimited.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
Did you actually try suggesting these activities to the people that always want to get a drink? If so what was their reaction?

i find myself latching on to the ones who at least show the most willing to do something different... it's tough though. i'm six months away from forty, and at this stage of life people really have become set in their ways

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
in the U.K., definitely. 95% of my social interactions involve alcohol.
Seeing my friends, dates, work events, weddings, any celebrations, catching up with my dad... all booze, booze, booze.

I'm trying to quit drinking for 2020 and I know it's going to be incredibly difficult.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stopped drinking. Americans are delusional about alcohol and have no respect for it as a drug. I'll be burying people within 10 years and my kids will be traumatized about their deaths all because these assholes won't listen to my pleas and get help.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Frankly without alcohol I would be a hermit living in my Mum's house and would never have had a girlfriend or many of the numerous good nights out I've had. I would never have dared go on a dance floor and actually discover I've got some rhythm (lol). I'd be a totally different person and I think for the worse. Yeah people abuse it and those who are dependent on it are not having a good time as I do when I'm on it. We should do more to fix that, but alcohol is an intrinsic part of most earth cultures. Cultures that didn't have alcohol were deeply embedded in magic mushrooms and other plant based drugs. We all rather like the escape from the hum drum, going back millennia. Don't see that stopping anytime soon.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Lol this is just getting pathetic. You can lead a clear and healthy life with alcohol in it.
If people are drinking less than 14 units a week, sure, but a third of the drinking population are heavy drinkers and you can't deny the bige culture in developed and overworked countries. Also, I said healthier, not healthy.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is this?

"Allergic reaction" doesn't instantly mean "death". Many allergic reactions are mild to moderate. It's not any less an allergic reaction because they don't literally goddamn die.

My sister is allergic to bee stings, in that the site around the affected area immediately welts up, bright red, and rarely, she needs to go to the clinic. Is that "insulting" to people who immediately go into anaphylactic shock?

Chill out. Mild allergies exist.

(Also, there is anywhere from mild to severe alcohol intolerance, a slightly different mechanism, but it still has a wild range of symptoms.)
An intolerance to alcohol is entirely different to an allergic reaction. That's an entirely different process taking place.

To compare one to the other is an insult, ask anyone allergic to anything to any degree.

i personally am highly allergic to nickel, my symptoms do not land me in hospital as nickel content in food is relatively low. (Wine would be very high, but my archenemy is chocolate of any kind as well as nuts; poppy seeds indeed make me gasp for air.)

to claim a well running body that tells you "alcohol is not good for you" (depending on age and body condition the amount of alcohol a body can tolerate decreases) to a malfunctioning immune-system is insulting and ridiculous.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An intolerance to alcohol is entirely different to an allergic reaction. That's an entirely different process taking place.

To compare one to the other is an insult, ask anyone allergic to anything to any degree.

i personally am highly allergic to nickel, my symptoms do not land me in hospital as nickel content in food is relatively low. (Wine would be very high, but my archenemy is chocolate of any kind as well as nuts; poppy seeds indeed make me gasp for air.)

to claim a well running body that tells you "alcohol is not good for you" (depending on age and body condition the amount of alcohol a body can tolerate decreases) to a malfunctioning immune-system is insulting and ridiculous.
What the hell are you talking about? Allergic reactions can be very mild. It's the reason antihistimines like Benadryl exist. Not all allergies are deadly.