• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
about that. Austin is growing, but they're aren't growing the infrastructure like at all. and their traffic is worse imo. Houston's traffic is predictable typically, rush hour or construction zones.

i remember visiting our friends one time and we went to a store and it took is like 30 minutes to get from the store back to the freeway, no accident, no police issue, just ridiculous rush hour like ass traffic on a saturday morning.

in college one time it took us an hour to go from St Edwards to just past UT because some idiot had a wreck on the other side of the double decker on 35. so no matter if you took the lower deck or the upper deck you were fucked.
Exactly, road infrastructure in Austin is really bad. There is no good way to get downtown at all and every mobility project idea these days either gets cancelled for being too expensive to implement or not realistic at all.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
Nice
Pros/Cons compared to Austin or Houston?
San Antonio probably has better traffic but it is getting worse faster.
San Antonio is muuuuuuch smaller in area than Houston so the sprawl is not near as bad.
San Antonio has less night life and fewer centralized places. Austin has 6th street and 4th street and rainy street.
San Antonio downtown is far more tourist oriented than Austin. Austin downtown is better for locals.
San Antonio has an NBA team.
Houston has all sports.
Austin has college football and low attendance college basketball.

Dega

Oct 25, 2017
Can we all just agree that Austin, San Antonio and Houston have good tacos and that Dallas sucks?

šŸ˜ƒ

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
There have been many threads like this that have taught me much about Houston and Austin
Teach me about San Antonio
Amazing city with a ton of really interesting history (there's a whole trail of missions you can visit and they're in all sorts of states that are different from the Alamo). The culinary scene is amazing, I long for these tortas I had while living there and every small Mexican restaurant is great. Just avoid the crazy tourist trap stuff like the riverwalk and six flags and Ripelys believe it or not (unless you want to go lol). And while lacking in a lot of the trendiness of office or really Houston, there's a really cool area called the Pearl district with upscale dining.

Also best breakfast tacos are in San Antonio. Austin is high on its own farts and I'm originally from there.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Nice
Pros/Cons compared to Austin or Houston?
Unlike Austin there's quite a bit of diversity, it's truly where the Tex meets the Mex. Housing is much cheaper compared to Austin and sprawl is much more tolerable compared to Houston. Lots of fun stuff to do, albeit a bit touristy. It's the most underrated big city of Texas and I really want to move there before all the rich dudes who buy houses with cash in hand head on over.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I should probably clarify that I have a very low budget for housing, which is why I'm not joining the chorus on the cost of living. I'm sure it's much better in Houston. I think my opinion is skewed by being broke.

Degenerate

Nov 17, 2018
I can accept any criticism about Houston but some of the responses saying the food is worse than Austin are dick-bendingly absurd. If you love kitsch, pallid gastropubs that will charge you $30 for a burger and shoestring fries run by a bearded, flannel wearing fuck youll love the food in Austin.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
You're in tech. Austin is no brainer. You can build a valuable network there.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
You are incorrect about the traffic. Unless you count rush hour as 3pm...
i consider it between 4-6 in houston.
but i also advocate live near where you work, or work remotely.

Austin is the best city in Texas (@ me bros), but much much more expensive.

Houston is also a very good city, but has pockets of suck between the parts that are good and the zoning laws are weird as hell. Austin's shitty parts are relegated to the outer edges of the city and not the center of it. Houstons is kind of all the fuck over the place.
you're just still mad you got your ass beat in houston one time. :D

Exactly, road infrastructure in Austin is really bad. There is no good way to get downtown at all and every mobility project idea these days either gets cancelled for being too expensive to implement or not realistic at all.
seriously, if you have to go from either side of downtown austin to the other side, you're totally fucked.

lol at people saying you need to evacuate from houston. We've never evacuated for ike or harvey, which were like 10 years apart.

and lol at the "weather is nicer" in austin as if it doesnt get 100+ degrees there too.

and final lol at software dev having more jobs in austin. MS alone has 2 offices in houston, IBM has 3 or 4. and in general there's more companies to work for in houston. Not everyone gets to be a programmer for FAANG.

actually i dont know why im saying houston, under no circumstances should you come to houston, go to austin, we have too many out of staters moving to houston.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Also, the traffic in Austin isn't better/worse than any other major metropolitan area I've lived in. *shrugs*

Oct 25, 2017
Houston pluses: Major sports, big concerts, art galleries and museums, amazing food, nice nightlife.
Houston negatives: Traffic is nightmarish, in non covid times, disaster prone, fairly easygoing, but not as easygoing as Austin.
Austin pluses: Movie and music scene, a bit more quiet, lots to do in the surrounding areas, good food.
Austin negatives: More expensive, traffic is still bad, festivals are a blessing and a curse.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Like 95% of San Antonio restaurants make their own tortillas. Austin restaurants use packaged tortillas and think nothing of it.
the fact that you're going to restaurants for your breakfast tacos is already a fail bruh. there's like a half a dozen taco trucks here in austin that make some killer breaky tacos. unless you've hit them up, that's a mighty bold statement to make

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I said it was great if you're in college, as in if you are young. I am not, and it's insufferable to me now. It's an entire city so of course it has something for everyone. But in general, it's great for younger people.

I'm 38 and Austin is fantastic. Outdoor activities are far better than any other Texas city and it has a ton of James Beard award-winning and nominated chefs. It's not just a town for people in their 20s.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
the fact that you're going to restaurants for your breakfast tacos is already a fail bruh. there's like a half a dozen taco trucks here in austin that make some killer breaky tacos. unless you've hit them up, that's a mighty bold statement to make

San Antonio has the same but also has restaurants that make amazing breakfast tacos. I'll take any Taqueria Jalisco in San Antonio over anything in Austin.

Also, the traffic in Austin isn't better/worse than any other major metropolitan area I've lived in. *shrugs*

I think so too. There are plenty of reasons I don't like Austin but I don't find the traffic to be particularly bad.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
I am including taco trucks. But I don't want to always eat at a taco truck.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
I've had a lot of colleagues and co-workers move to Austin fairly recently, and they seem to really love the area.

I've never been there myself, but I often hear Austin described as a little pocket of sanity within the whole of Texas, for what that's worth.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
I've had a lot of colleagues and co-workers move to Austin fairly recently, and they seem to really love the area.

I've never been there myself, but I often hear Austin described as a little pocket of sanity within the whole of Texas, for what that's worth.
Every big city except Dallas-Fort Worth (heavy emphasis on the Fort Worth) is pretty chill and normal by American standards.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Based on your career I'd say Austin.

It's way more valuable to be near the tech industry. Tech industry in Houston is dead or decades-old software in Oil & Gas.

I'm sure Austin ERA can help you find a neighborhood that fits your budget.

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah as a Houstonian I gotta say go with Austin. Climate change is fucking us over real hard now and its only going to get worse. As much as I love this city its just becoming more and more prone to horrible storms every year. After Hurricane Season I always find myself thinking "Man, I need to get the fuck away from the coast."

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
For me, it's definitely Austin.

Can your company fly you out to both so you can get a sense of both cities?

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
Always hard to suggest me without knowing more about the OP (if you're not an outdoor person, Houston is fine) but probably Austin based on profession.

Traffic is atrocious in both, food is far better in Houston.

Whomever mentioned Galveston/the beach, ignore. That place sucks and offers no benefit in terms of living in Houston.

Oct 25, 2017
Can we all just agree that Austin, San Antonio and Houston have good tacos and that Dallas sucks?

šŸ˜ƒ
hn0s214gsjl21.jpg

Whomever mentioned Galveston/the beach, ignore. That place sucks and offers no benefit in terms of living in Houston.

seconding this

Last edited:

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
The food in Houston is amazing, but after living there for a very long time I had to get out. I couldn't enjoy outside because it's a damn swamp (I give up on mosquitoes) and dealing with the seemingly regular natural disasters really started to wear on me. Austin is getting out of hand in terms of traffic, expenses, and gentrification, but it provides plenty to do. In my heart I'm still pro-Houston despite everything, but Austin might be up your alley if you can afford it. To be fair, living in the best parts of Houston (in the loop) kinda defeats the affordability arguments (it's a different ballgame) but last I checked the best parts of Austin are still worse.

But the damn food in Houston. That I will always miss.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I spent 16 hours in Houston to catch an Asstros game.

The traffic was easily the worst traffic I've ever driven in. Worse than LA.

Also, Austin seems much more like my type of city so if I had a choice I'd live in the Austin area.

zerocypher

Oct 27, 2017
Austin is more laid back but the infrastructure is terrible. It has fun places to visit and has a nice outdoors vibe.

Houston has better infrastructure but more traffic and sprawl. There's way more culture and places to eat. Adding in there's a lot more humidity and mosquitoes here so stay away from Houston if that's not your thing.

Guess it depends what you're looking for, how's your commute going to be, and how much you want to venture out. Either city is great in their own way but you can also make weekend trips to either one.

babycakin

Nov 2, 2019
to live in? Houston.

to visit once in a while, austin?

source me, lived in houston my whole life, except the 5 years i lived in austin for college.

This is exactly me as well. Living in Houston, attended UT for 5 years. And I agree, Austin is fun to visit but Houston is much better to live imo

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
San Marcos is awesome and near Austin. Lived north of Houston for 5 years and the sprawl is insane.
Got exxon Mobil world headquarters there too.

It's way nicer weather wise in Central Texas. But Austin is getting so built up and expensive. If you don't mind a commute go to Austin

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends on what you are looking for. Austin definitely has the better weather, but Houston is the much bigger, more metropolitan and international city.

Draconestra

Avenger
Nov 2, 2017
But the damn food in Houston. That I will always miss.

Reading about how Austin has better food is kinda hilarious considering that they don't have much to offer. Houston tons of new restaurants popping up along with more food courts becoming more common. I mean, you have options here in Houston when it comes to food.

The downside is traffic, rush hour starts at 3 PM and can last as long as 7 PM, and if there's an accident, fucking forget it. I mean, it's not bad like LA traffic, but you can get stuck for an extra hour on your commute.

One thing to note is that Houston is prone to flooding and I think it's getting worse by the year. It's something that you're gonna have to research and ask your neighbors about because it's something you want to keep in mind when it rains hard.

Hurricanes are also a thing and you will need to evacuate if you're in certain zip codes. These are usually a lot closer to the coast or near bayous, if you're not in any of those, you'll most likely be fine, but then you might have to worry about flooding like I mentioned before.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I live in the Austin area while my brother lives in the Houston area, and I recommend Austin northern burbs.

There's a lot of reasons:
  • Austin is gradually becoming one of the leading cities for Software Engineering.
  • Less severe weather (flooding, hurricanes, even tornadoes very rarely are beyond cat 1)
  • No impact from rising sea levels
  • Way less mosquitoes
  • Far enough east that when fresh water becomes scarce we can build more reservoirs and pipelines from Miss. No surprise massive increase cost of living that So Cal and Az are going through gradually.
  • Austin economy is nearly entirely forward looking, whereas Houston has large swaths of land that will be urban wastelands as the world slowly moves away from oil and plastics
  • No city in Texas has everything, and Austin can easily reach all major ones except for El Paso. Touring performing arts? If it's not in Austin, San Antonio is < 90 minutes away on weekends.
  • Better politics
    • See segregation
    • Culturally not a hint of the "old south". East Texas stinks of it.
      • Don't get me wrong, plenty of MAGA people in rural areas, but still far less. There's a historical reason for this - the rural counties of central Texas were settled by liberal white people. Failed liberal German revolution of the mid 1800s led to mass exodus of liberal Germans. They didn't participate in the Civil War because they thought slavery was immoral, for example.
  • Houston zoning doesn't exist. Not like Austin is great and it has growth issues with there only being north/south highways and lacking on east/west
    • Mitigate this by getting housing within a minute of a toll road in the northern burbs. You can reach most of the city within 15 minutes on weekends.
  • Less diverse than Houston, but less segregated. Suburbs like Pflugerville are fairly diverse, there's not really the white flight effect and highly segregated neighborhoods that Houston has.
  • About the same distance from good beaches as Houston (South Padre through Corpus)

Last edited:

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
Austin and it's not even close. I lived in Houston for a decade and it was horrible. It's like a small city squashed and spread out for 100 miles. Terrible public transportation. Nothing there of note in terms of fun. Austin is a wonderful city, lots to do, great food, great people.

Politically both are blue islands in the red sea of TX, but Houston is barely while Austin is the opposite of the rest of the state.

Gaming wise you'll find more gaming related activities in Austin than Houston. I don't believe Houston had any the years I was there.

Edit: sheesh forgot about the hurricanes even. Another mark against Houston.

San antonio is blue as fuck and super diverse. please don't ever try to lump us in as the rest of texas.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017

Fact that you think taco trucks makes a difference in this argument is laughable. San Antonio is literally full of hundreds of hole in the wall Mexican restaurants that s*** on everywhere else in the Texas when it comes to tacos and Mexican food. San Antonio is fucking boring but you ain't touching us when it comes to Mexican food. Why you think we all fat and shit?

OP
OP

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like Austin would be the best place (due to my career), but I still have some times to think about it.

Thank you all of you!

OP
OP

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Question,

I've seen some apartments that does not include heater. Is this normal for Austin/Texas?