• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What type of impact do you think the new Playstation Plus tiers have made so far?

• A game changer. The best value in gaming

Votes: 62 3.6%
  • A solid service that has established itself as a proper competitor to Game Pass Ultimate

Votes: 267 15.6%
  • It's fine. Nothing extraordinary but there's some nice benefits

Votes: 805 47.0%
  • It's off to a disappointing start

Votes: 502 29.3%
  • It's an unmitigated disaster

Votes: 76 4.4%

• Total voters

Toothdrinker

Dec 16, 2021
I feel like an incredibly old man when I look at the PS Plus tiers and get very confused as to which nets me what games. I'm sure most people can parse it better than I can, but I do think it is a pretty unclear offering at the moment.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Got it because I wanted to play Stray and the Ghost of Tsushima PS5 expansion, which I wasn't going to pay $30 for. So it's already been good value for me.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
It's been fine.

I'm sure it'll get better as time goes on as Gamepass did.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I bought extra to play stray, but only for a month.

I've made a mistake of subbing to gamepass for 3 years; won't do that for any of the ps plus subscriptions. Will only sub when there is a game on there I want to play.

Elementje

Dec 26, 2017
For me the tiers destroyed PS+... I always bought 1 year PS+ on sale during the Days of Play. Because of the new system there was no sale at all. All the good games like Miles and Returnal that would have been normal PS+ games in the old system are now moved to Extra tier making the Essential games for this year pretty lame. The value of Essential became way overpriced for me because it lost top tier titles (someone who rarely plays online games).

Extra has the best value for it's money but I'll wait for the holidays and just get it a month or 2 to play all the games on there that I want to play and unsub again. No reason to have that for the whole year.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
For me the tiers destroyed PS+... I always bought 1 year PS+ on sale during the Days of Play. Because of the new system there was no sale at all. All the good games like Miles and Returnal that would have been normal PS+ games in the old system are now moved to Extra tier making the Essential games for this year pretty lame. The value of Essential became way overpriced for me because it lost top tier titles (someone who rarely plays online games).

Eh? I think you can count on one hand the times PS First Party game have release as PS+ monthly games in a short span and most of them took years until they got there. Matter of Fact, God of War just released on PS+ in June, with the launch of the new Tiers.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Extra is pretty good so far, and enticing enough that most of my main friends have also got it (perfect for us all playing games together) But I wish there were more online coop / vs games to play with friends. It's a bit light on that part of the spectrum.

Gamepass has Sea of Thieves, Grounded, Minecraft Dungeons from their Studios, and they have a bunch of others like Golf with Friends. And more coming with the likes of Warhammer Darktide and Redfall.

Plus Extra has a few, but it's slimmer pickings. That Warhammer diablo clone, Alienation (ruined by being stuck at a very nasty feeling 30fps) Sony really need to get Housemarque on updating or remaking that. And they need things like Helldivers 2 and Factions desperately.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Extra is pretty good so far, and enticing enough that most of my main friends have also got it (perfect for us all playing games together) But I wish there were more online coop / vs games to play with friends. It's a bit light on that part of the spectrum.

Gamepass has Sea of Thieves, Grounded, Minecraft Dungeons from their Studios, and they have a bunch of others like Golf with Friends. And more coming with the likes of Warhammer Darktide and Redfall.

Plus Extra has a few, but it's slimmer pickings. That Warhammer diablo clone, Alienation (ruined by being stuck at a very nasty feeling 30fps) Sony really need to get Housemarque on updating or remaking that. And they need things like Helldivers 2 and Factions desperately.

I would agree with this. Having all of your friends on the same sub as you with access to all of the same games really sells the dream of co-op/multiplayer games.

Hope that loads more people will embrace playing more games socially now that PS+ Extra is such a success! It really helps not having to convince your buddies to go out and buy a game.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I feel like an incredibly old man when I look at the PS Plus tiers and get very confused as to which nets me what games. I'm sure most people can parse it better than I can, but I do think it is a pretty unclear offering at the moment.

mixing in remasters in the premium tier makes it very unclear. Its a shit move.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would agree with this. Having all of your friends on the same sub as you with access to all of the same games really sells the dream of co-op/multiplayer games.

Hope that loads more people will embrace playing more games socially now that PS+ Extra is such a success! It really helps not having to convince your buddies to go out and buy a game.
100% Hopefully all these unnamed multiplayer GaS games that Sony have in the pipeline aren't too far off.

Last edited:

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Wasn't expecting much, but Extra has been surprisingly solid for me. Don't know how different it is on console, but the catalogue definitely feels more diverse than PC's GamePass.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I do think Sony need to start releasing GaaS type games onto the service day 1, that is what will keep people subbed.

Elementje

Dec 26, 2017
Eh? I think you can count on one hand the times PS First Party game have release as PS+ monthly games in a short span and most of them took years until they got there. Matter of Fact, God of War just released on PS+ in June, with the launch of the new Tiers.
Just because God of War has been in the PS+ Collection for over a year already... From now on all PS+ Essential games will be B tier just because they moved all the A tier games to PS+ Extra.
Games like Detroid Become Human, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 1, 2, 3 Collection, Uncharted 4, FF VII Remake, Days Gone etc have all been on PS+. Won't happen anymore with top tier games like that. They all get pushed to Extra because they want gamers to buy that tier instead of Essential.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Will only speak for myself, but I upgraded for the remainder of my original PS+ subscription, which is until February, and the last month or so I've only been playing games from the service. Tbh, I'm a bit iffy because I prefer to own the games, even better physically, but at the end of the day, this isn't really a big deal for me, I can always get something later down the line if I reaaally want to. I don't think longtermly PS+ Extra/Premium is something I'd like to subscribe, but for now, I managed to play a lot of games I wanted to and I already saved up money with it. Completed stuff like 428, Ys 9, Outer Wilds and Stray, and also found it a good opportunity to start the Final Fantasy games I didn't own with it. Returnal was on my wishlist for a while, hoping it will go for sub 30, and felt like a really nice surprise that it's there. Several games that aren't a priority but I'd like to play as well. The extra catalogue isn't mindblowing, but it's pretty good with the third party stuff, and basically near complete with the first party games, which sadly I've already played the ones I was interested in. The first month's drop was worth it just for Stray for me, but I hope they'll manage to retain the quantity and the quality of the offered games, and then maybe I'll consider subscribing again.

Premium isn't as good, but at least I have the opportunity to play some PS3 games. Tbf, I don't think the catalogue of PS3 games is thaaat great, it's missing a lot of games that are very significant, and exclusive, to the platform like the MGS games, but as someone that didn't have access to streaming before, and no PS3, I'm glad I can play some games I was interested in, already finished Tokyo Jungle. The PS1 and PSP games are in a really sad state atm though, but I hope that they'll at least have consistent offers each month.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I bumped up to Premium for my remaining 5 months. I have holes in my PS knowledge so going back and playing some early God of War and Jak has been interesting. Streaming works for me ok.

But as of now I really don't expect to stick to it when renewal comes unless the "new" jumps up. I'll burn through what interests me in these few months, and I've played the later exclusives that interest me at this point. There just wouldn't be a point staying at Prrmium for me. Extra maybe? But a Stray, which I liked so far, every three months won't do it.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not interested in subscribing, but the addition of PS1 and PSP games to the newer consoles, and the fact that they're available for purchase outside the subscription, is a big win and I'm excited to see the game selection expand.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Worst possible start for me:

I was interested mostly in certain older PS1,2,3 games and out of around 20 different games I had hopes for the only one available is Resident Evil Director's Cut and that game is not allowed in my region (germany).

It couldn't be any worse for me personally. Absolutely zero interest currently to upgrade my PS+ to anything higher

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Subbed for premium and it was a mistake. Way too much stuff and way less time. Getting trophies on PS1 games is a dream come through.

Yeah, made the same mistake.
The PS App let me convert my remaining 3 yrs of PS+ via a one time fee. 100 for extra, 150 for premium.
I went with Premium bc it sounded like a great deal but it would be a massive surprise if I end up playing more than 1-2 classics.

Highly doubt I will re sub once my "sweetheart deal" expires. Same goes for GPU.
There is really little sense in keeping these services simultaneously for a whole year, I will just buy a 3months voucher anytime I see a game I like.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Extra is very solid, I'm pleasantly surprised. I feel like it has more games that I actually want to play than Game Pass PC.

Personally I was able to get Premium, via the PS Now trick. Dont think Premium is worth it for the majority of people

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The one month I've used it it's been fine if a little overwhelming. The Extra library is really good. Hope they do a lot of day 1 indie games going forward.

Premium is... Ok? It has a long way to go.

Last edited:

Right

Nov 24, 2017
It's fine
As someone's who's subscribe to ps+ only for cloud save and multiplayer, I couldn't care less

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I will probably sub once they had Horizon and Rachet. No interest in paying the absurd prices for those games but I can wait until they are rolled into the sub.

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
I think the "Extra" catalog is fine, especially if you've just bought a new PS console recently.

"Premium/Deluxe" or whatever needs lots of work though. It will only be something truly worthy when Sony starts taking her previous consoles catalog more seriously.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, it's confusing as fuck, with arbitrary PS4/PS5 games such as Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection being reserved to Deluxe tier for some dumb reason as it being an "collection" which has PS3 games, even though those were remastered for PS4.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Game Pass is clearly the better value, and that's almost entirely due to all of their Day One titles. In terms of the overall value of the games on the two services, though, I find them to be comparable. Not sure I'd give either a leg up in that regard personally. The list of games on Playstation Extra are great and expansive, same goes for Game Pass.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I haven't even booted up my PlayStation since these released yet... Been too busy. I'll get there!

Euan_1981

Apr 23, 2018
Really, it's too early to make a statement. I'm not unhappy with the games..completed Spiderman mm, now on stray and Returnal after that. If you are a day 1 game buyer then this service is probably quite redundant. I think we should judge it in about 6 months to really assess Sony's intentions.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, value aside, I can picture people saying fuck it to any tier just based on how confusing it is.

Kintraills

May 24, 2022
I already played 3 games worth 180 usd (120 usd on sales) so for me is worth it and more, I can see myself playing more stuff released there over the rest of my subscription so is worth it for my case.

If it gets even one person who wouldn't have played Returnal to play Returnal (GOTY 2021) then it's worth it

Loved every minute of that game, so far is my favorite one for PS5, there's something in the gameplay and the way of tell the story that I just loved.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
If someone doesn't care about streaming... PS+ Extra is a Great deal.

$99 a year for PS5 and PS4 games to download...and you get Online multiplayer.

What's a deal that comes close to that?
The tricks for both PS Now and GPU. Only the latter works still as of today. I used the now trick to get myself Premium until april 2022 and soon I'll use the Gold trick to get myself GPU for ~60$ a year. Unbeatable value, because you get...
  • Day1 first and third party games
  • 520 unique games. That's more than PS extra.
  • EA Access including games from the PS3/360 era, which are missing on Access on PS. Access isn't included in PS Extra.
  • Older generation games. Extra only offers PS4 and PS5, whereas GP offers OG, 360, One, and Series X|S titles.
  • Cloud gaming including touch controls and Series X|S titles in the cloud. No cloud in extra.
  • PC games. Not on extra.
All these things and more make GPU better than Extra and Premium in terms of features (for the lack of a better word). Games library is of course completely subjective. That said Extra and Premium have still a lot of catching up to do. For example offering the ability to stream PS5 games on PS4. Obviously Extra has own advantages like the inclusion of Ubi + Classic.

I like extra and after my Premium subscription is gone I'll subcribe to extra, because I want to check out a few games still and I thought Stray was a good start for their Day 1 offering. If Sony keeps that up and improve the sevice, then there is no reason to not stick around for me. But in terms of value nothing beats GPU for 60$ a year and only the gone PS Now trick would've been comparable.

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

Yeah that's definitely one of the best features of those subscriptions. A while back one of my friends didn't have a FF14 sub and then we discussed for 30 minutes what games we've got on PS. He doesn't like subscription at all, but ultimately it would've been great to just choose on of the hundreds extra games and roll with it.

Ariesfirebomb

Jul 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Both PS+ Premium and game pass are kinda just "meh" for me. And It's quite surprising how much overlap is between the two offerings.

I know folks love to go up for GPU and getting first and third party games day 1, but I find myself playing the indies way more than a lot of the mainstream stuff thats on both platforms.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
I guess extra was fine at a discounted price, but I wouldn't pay full price for that lineup seeing as I have already played almost all the decent games on the service.

The one thing I was really excited for was the ps1/ps2/psp/vita catalog tier and we can all see just how bad it is.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
For me the same impact as any subscription service. Absolutely no interest in letting my favorite hobby degenerate into a fast food buffet.

engine

Jul 20, 2022
I think PS+ Extra is a great value for folks who only play on PlayStation (and several other cases). I haven't looked into Premium at all. Despite just launching, Extra provides similar value to what GamePass offered many months into its lifecycle.

On a personal level:
I didn't vote in the poll. I'm technically on the fence, but I'm falling pretty hard to one side if nothing surprises me in the next year. The likely scenario is that I cancel my PS+ subscription all together since I expect Essential offerings to dwindle. I appreciate games like Ghostrunner and the new Crash Bandicoot, but I expect we will lose that level of quality soon. I play single/local games almost exclusively, so online gaming isn't a benefit for me. My challenge is that I resubscribe for multiple years when I can get PS+ at half price and I'm locked in for a while. I wish I could opt in and out of Extra more easily.

I'm mostly interested in Extra due to FOMO so I can try games like Stray. But those cases seem rare so far. I've played all of the disc-based PS exclusives I'd like to try since they're easy to get from my local library system. I have tons of games in my library wishlist that I never got around to playing. And with Microsoft Rewards, Game Pass is free for me, so between the two services, sticking with GamePass is a no brainer and makes PS+ Extra a hard sale.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Very good for me. I paid like 30 GBP to upgrade and it meant me not having to buy Demon Souls, Returnal and Spiderman MM. Plus there's a whole bunch of third party I can try out. Probably won't buy anything for the rest of the year until God Of War

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
It's been one month...hardly any time to evaluate anything. It was never going to be much of a game changer but if it gets a lot of regular Plus subscribers to upgrade, then Sony probably feels it's worth it because they finally got a bunch of eyeballs on this new service. Now it's up to them to maintain adding good content and keeping people on board.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
As others in this thread have said, the Classics selection is dire. Way too many games in there masquerading as classics just because they're "old" (Outcast? What?), and not enough actual old gen stuff, which is what most people were actually expecting.

As for the extra tier selection, I appreciate Stray and all (beat it on PS5 and loved it) but they need to double down on putting new/recent high profile stuff on there instead of wasting money on a grab bag of old Assassin's Creed games like they did this month.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
As others in this thread have said, the Classics selection is dire. Way too many games in there masquerading as classics just because they're "old" (Outcast? What?), and not enough actual old gen stuff, which is what most people were actually expecting.

As for the extra tier selection, I appreciate Stray and all (beat it on PS5 and loved it) but they need to double down on putting new/recent high profile stuff on there instead of wasting money on a grab bag of old Assassin's Creed games like they did this month.

The service isn't really for that though, the high profile/recent stuff. I think most you are going to get is an indie game like Stray or maybe a mid tier game like Shadow Warrior 3. Anyone expecting anything more than that is going to be disappointed I think.

Being that I play mostly indies, I would love to see them try and match gamepass in that area to some degree. Maybe bring in some older ones - Sifu and Kena should be on there for sure.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
The service isn't really for that though, the high profile/recent stuff. I think most you are going to get is an indie game like Stray or maybe a mid tier game like Shadow Warrior 3. Anyone expecting anything more than that is going to be disappointed I think.

Being that I play mostly indies, I would love to see them try and match gamepass in that area to some degree. Maybe bring in some older ones - Sifu and Kena should be on there for sure.
I'm not even asking for all day one games (or even AAA games), I already get that with XGP. What I'm suggesting is instead of wasting the subscriber "budget" on stuff like the Assassin's Creed grab bag (likely so they can say "+5 extra games!" instead of actually caring whether people want to play them or not), they can put the money towards more games on the level of Stray.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
Played through:

Ape Escape
Intelligent Qube
Siphon Filter
Wild Arms
Stray

Looking forward to playing:
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Ghost of Tsushima Expansion

I've gotten a good amount of value in a month or so, and I'm sure there's plenty more to check out, just not sure how interested Id be in the rest of the offering.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
As of right now, to me personally it feels more like a rebranding of PS Now than a Gamepass rival, but then my only experience with Gamepass is via others rather than my own personal experience so I don't know if I'd feel the same with that too.

I've paid the fee to convert my Essential sub that was going to expire at the end of the year to Extra (Premium seems like crazy bad value right now to me) and I think it's OK and worth the money, but whether I renew it instead of just going back to Essential is going to depend on them heavily improving the library over the course of the next 6 months.

I definitely wouldn't have considered subscribing to it if it wasn't so cheap to do the conversion.