• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
It already happened to Americans. Long ago.

I paid $70 for a game once. Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe - PC.

In 1992. That would be about $130 today.

70 pounds today is about $92 dollars. Still much less than that $130 of value.

And you think DLC is bad today? Each add-on aircraft, with missions, was $29.95 each. And there were at least a half dozen of those available.

If you wanted to complain about it somewhere on the internet and didn't have university internet access or your own BBS access, you were paying for Compuserve, GEnie, Prodigy, or AOL. Which would add roughly $10-$15 to the total price of the game during the month in which you were complaining. When your sibling or roommate would take a break from using the phone, that is.

I know you're upset, but my advice is to pace yourself. You might be in another situation 28 years from now.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Y'all really don't think MS wouldn't have done This if Gamepass weren't the way it is?
Who cares what someone would have done IF? Its like when people were saying oh microsoft is only doing nice things because they are losing the gen. Well who the fuck cares what the reason is why we get nice things. No one got hurt and the costumer won..

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Games drop in price so quickly, it's hard to even care. This is only really concerning for buying games at launch. Sony will find that much of their first party offerings aren't evergreen candidates like Nintendo titles, and will need to come down in price to sell. Demon's Souls won't move much units after the launch window at full price in two years without a sale.

Game Pass seems to be the right solution to the rising costs of gaming software. Most games I played last gen I didn't spend more than a a few weeks doing a play through. So I didn't need to "own" those games unless I liked them and wanted to keep them in rotation or replay.

Oct 27, 2017
In the UK there was a huge disparity between the price you pay in stores and with online shopping versus the recommended retail price that you see for digital games dat one on PSN. Usually a physical copy of a PS4 game could be bought for around £40 while the same game on PSN would be £55-£60.

As the generation progressed, it became harder to find games at that £40 mark on day one. Prices have crept up and now we're seeing this jump to £70. Digital and physical are now mostly at parity, with some exceptions. It'll be interesting to see how this evolves once we get past the launch window.

I'm part of the problem, I just spent £75 on Yakuza Like a Dragon because I wanted the extra karaoke songs.

OP
OP
Mr_F_Snowman

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeh asked for the thread to be closed as I made some mistakes and was maybe needlessly incendiary. Just frustrated at being priced out of the market for these games I want to play (damn you Demons's Souls!)

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Not for me. No chance of purchasing at that price. More than enough backwards compatible PS4 games to keep me busy until price drops.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Software prices have not doubled. They'll quickly reduce down to the same old levels and perhaps even further.

All Sony is doing is gouging the fuck out of early adopters which is very sensible.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd personally just wait for sales. You don't have to buy everything day 1.

Furthermore, the amount of entertainment you receive relative the amount you pay can be significant next almost all other mediums (other than some book I suppose).

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
The price is equivalent to 100 dollars which is minimum wage in our country 😱😱😱😱😱😱

Oct 27, 2017
I mean publishers probably made it clear they wanted the price hike. This isn't just Sony, they only look that way since Xbox had no major first party game that was next gen only. If they did, you better believe it would be $70. EA, Take Two, Ubi all likely discussed it with both console makers behind the scenes.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Ultimately, the market will decide. These companies still want to sell lots of software, so if the sales aren't looking particularly great, they're going to plunge the price fast.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Its clearly a european currency. We dont know such a thing as msrp or rrp or whatever.
I know what pounds are. RRP is a British term.
The price you see once is the price youre gonna see always and everywhere, and its the price youre gonna pay.
This clearly not used to be the case in the U.K., considering OP paid £35 for Killzone at launch when the RRP was £52.99. See also, post #107 in this thread, which answers my question

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh come on! The two paragraphs don't exist separately. Sony's games were $50ish at PS1 launch, and it wasn't until 4-5 years in that they started coming in more often at $40. Even so, that was 26 years ago for the PS1 launch. I can't think of another product out there that held its pricing structure that long.
As kid, I remembered not having to save up for months for a game. I mean, you brought up the historic comparison, not me mate.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
£35 was standard price for new PS4 releases? When?

??? what numbers and what change
Step outside these threads every once and a while and learn new details.

Take this thread for instance.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/xbox-wire-the-biggest-launch-in-xbox-history.325448/

Access to to 3,594 titles at launch spanning 4 generations of games. (these are not all free but, some will be on Gamepass) Felt it important to include that!

70% Gamepass attach rate for X/S console purchasers. Excellent numbers!

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
I can see the criticism of Fame prices (even though they've remained flat for years) but SONY was late to the paid MP party. Yes it stinks that they added this in after seeing how well MS did with it but let's not pretend they started this.

tareqsalah

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Sony did not start paying for online so you can't say they got away with it.

Also sony isnt to blame for the price hike since all studios seem to implement it. The games are 70 even on xbox.

I am not a fan of it but shit we did not get a price hike for almost 16 years.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
Honestly, your wallet should do the talking.
Have patience and buy stuff on discount. There's still so much stuff from the previous gen that's amazing and you can get that pretty cheap nowadays.
You can also buy the PS+ membership on discount many times throughout the year.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the 70 dollar price is just temporary thing and prices will return to 60 again after this?

Yep. Demon's Souls for example is $109 in Australia. No way anybody is going to pay that, you'd have to be fucking nuts.

Of course you'd have to be fucking nuts to buy a console at launch with all the associated problems, high prices and lack of content, so the two go hand in hand. Not getting extra money out of the people who invest early would be almost rude.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Every time I see one of these threads is fucking hilarious to see people defending this bullshit.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Ah yes because we all know Sony was the first to do paid online multiplayer functionality

$70 does suck. If sales go down for other games I imagine that will get adjusted.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sony did not start paying for online so you can't say they got away with it.

Also sony isnt to blame for the price hike since all studios seem to implement it. The games are 70 even on xbox.

I am not a fan of it but shit we did not get a price hike for almost 16 years.

Ok, this is incorrect MS has not raised game prices as you have suggested.

Just an example

https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Infinite-Xbox-One-Standard/dp/B07SL6YYBW

In fact MS is against this price increase and more interested in their base getting on board with GamePass!

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
As kid, I remembered not having to save up for months for a game. I mean, you brought up the historic comparison, not me mate.

Right, and I was working gaming retail at the time too. Depending on when you got into buying your own games it would have been reasonable to save up your own money. I'm just saying that, at the start of the PS1 console generation, that would have been significantly more difficult. We're in exactly the same place now and I expect the pricing curve over time to look fairly similar. Same thing happened with PS2/3/4 to varying degrees.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Bottom line, OP found a good deal on a launch game last gen and this gen there wasn't any sales and prices when up a little bit.

And Sony is the only one at fault of this because Microsoft doesn't have any retail/full launch titles.

Oct 27, 2017
I purchased Shadowfall at the PS4 launch for £34.99. Demon's Souls is £74.99. More than doubled
You got a good deal on Shadowfall as the RRP was £52.99 at launch on PS4.

www.eurogamer.net

Sony finalises PS4 launch titles and prices

UPDATE: Astute readers may have noticed Blacklight: Retribution and flOw don't appear anywhere on this list, despite pr…

Demon's Souls RRP is £69.99, not £74.99. It can even be picked up for £64.99 on 365 games and base.com right now.

So, a long way from "double the price".

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Took a quick look at inflation calculator, 60 in 2013 is worth 67 now. So, $70 games seems quite reasonable adjusted for inflation in US

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Such a bad comparison. .
Not really. If anything games can be seen as more valuable as they are interactive and variable whereas a film is static and once you've seen it it's done.

Games have been underpriced for far too long.

And I'm saying this as someone who works for the NHS and hasn't had a real payrise in almost a decade.

They should be at least 80-100 depending on the type of game imho.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Not really. If anything games can be seen as more valuable as they are interactive and variable whereas a film is static and once you've seen it it's done.

Games have been underpriced for far too long.

And I'm saying this as someone who works for the NHS and hasn't had a real payrise in almost a decade.

They should be at least 80-100 depending on the type of game imho.
Please don't be encouraging these companies to bend us over more than they already are.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused. Did the price for games actually double in some regions or is this a weird comparison between a retailer that sold Killzone for cheap and a retailer that sold Demon's Souls for the "appropriate" price? Cause that's not on Sony.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I can't speak for the rest of the world but obviously in the US/NA in general it's gone up only $10. Maybe it's an unpopular opinion but I have very little issue with shelling out $10 more if it supports the developers we love instead of everything becoming a Game Pass or F2P game. Like take Spider-Man or Demon's Souls for example where you can shell out for a deluxe edition but that's it, there's no micro-transactions or anything and those are the games I love. If I feel like shelling out for a $100 or more 'Collectors edition' that's fine as well as long as the games always have a 'cheaper' regular edition.

zzzyz36

Oct 23, 2018
Yeah not going near souls at $109 AUD here in Australia.

I feel sorry for those who bought the PS5 DE as it's $125 AUD or $155 AUD for the premium version.

Poeton

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yeah. I bought godfall and after seeing the reviews. I am pretty tempted to return it. $70 is a little steep for what might be a mediocre game.

Status
Not open for further replies.