• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Did they get away with it? No, some are clearly enjoying Xbox's Gamepass. The numbers are starting to show a change.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I don't really understand the price hike specifically for Demon's Souls either. Is it because it's not a cross-gen game like Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Sackboy? Those games are published by Sony too but they're not $70.
Yeah, and because they are small-ish games, on a non new gen scenario they would be $40.
Horizon Forbidden West will probably be $60 instead of $70 since is crossgen too.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
If you have a launch system you are probably going to pay higher prices. But be patient after that.

1. Games on non Nintendo consoles get significant sales quickly.

2. When you purchase the much cheaper game it will have already had multiple patches to fix bugs and possibly add content.

I know some people have said they have a hard time waiting because they want to post about it while others are also playing....but if you can get past that (or simply don't care like me) you will pay less and get a better game.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand the price hike specifically for Demon's Souls either. Is it because it's not a cross-gen game like Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Sackboy? Those games are published by Sony too but they're not $70.
Miles Morales isn't classified as a full priced game because its scope is similar to Uncharted the Lost Legacy which cost $40, Sackboy is also a smaller scoped game so it is also priced accordingly at $50, like Ratchet and Clank 2016 was at $40. Demon's Souls is a classified as a full AAA game so it is full priced. So games that were $40 last gen are not $50.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
I remember paying 25 quid for Dark Souls 2 (2014) at launch

I can't believe Demon's Souls is £70 what the actual fuck. I'm a PC gamer nowadays so I wasn't clued in, but I just double checked on GAME, and it really is £70?!

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Then Sony came along and showed us £35 games instead of £60 ones.

Oh come on! The two paragraphs don't exist separately. Sony's games were $50ish at PS1 launch, and it wasn't until 4-5 years in that they started coming in more often at $40. Even so, that was 26 years ago for the PS1 launch. I can't think of another product out there that held its pricing structure that long.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Shadowfall was not that price at release because I remember complaining about game price hikes back then too and Shadowfall was one of the few games I bought.

Not double price I'm afraid and finding a budget price for Shadowfall and an overpriced value for Demons Souls (its like 69.99 standard everwhere) plus blaming Sony for something the industry in general is enacting, you are shooting your argument in the foot.

Jun 23, 2019
LOL What kind of begging the question is going on in the thread title? Sony got away with online paid multiplayer? Now Sony is to blame for the video game industry raising prices on something that should have happened years ago? You don't like the prices? Don't buy the games at full price or vote with your wallet.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Does that include VAT? Because with tax in NY I paid $76 for MM Ultimate Edition.

Converted to pounds with VAT added, it's not that far off.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Sony first party games get cheap pretty fast there's really no reason to spend $70 or whatever on them, launch aside. I bought a couple to keep me busy at launch but I don't foresee myself buying many more at that price.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
The market will adjust itself eventually. If this new 80€ standard is not accepted by the audience then games will go on sale much quicker, the second-hand market will thrive, and publishers will be forced to correct course.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
They got away with it with PS Plus multiplayer requirement?

My PS5 is coming tomorrow, I don't normally get a ton of new games but when I do it's usually something I can play for a while or something special like Last of Us 2. 70 plus tax is def a lot but you can always wait if you don't wanna be Day 1, they'll always go on sale soon enough.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
source.gif

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Don't worry OP, prices will come down like they always do.

And going from £50-70 isn't anywhere close to doubling the price.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Were both these prices MSRP/RRP?
Its clearly a european currency. We dont know such a thing as msrp or rrp or whatever. We only know one price ever. The price you see once is the price youre gonna see always and everywhere, and its the price youre gonna pay. If he says it was 70£ that means that 70£ left his pocket.

Feb 1, 2018
I think you forgot to factor in that wages haven't increased at the same rate. Or that the audience for gaming has grown considerably, meaning publishers can make more money selling to bigger audiences. Or that they've also come up with other means of making money from games, often with predatory practices. Or that digital sales now make up at least half of all games sold, which is a much better margin for them than bricks & mortar. And that all of these publishers are posting record profits pretty much every year.

None of that has anything to do with why the prices went up. It's officially because of inflation, like I said, among other things. As per Bloomberg:

Inside publishing houses, a price hike has been plotted and dissected by executives for years. They point to inflation, as well as the ballooning cost to develop triple-A games, as justification. At one point, Sony discussed going even higher before settling on $70. Many of the game executives requested anonymity, apparently because they recognize the move is unpopular. In many cases, companies won't acknowledge the fee increase, saying only that prices will vary by title.

It's shitty, but it is what it is. This is a premium hobby and you don't really have a (legal) choice.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Maybe not in the US. OP is in the UK, and prices have damn near doubled here in Australia, too. From consistent $69 launch games to $124 in some cases.

I think you forgot to factor in that wages haven't increased at the same rate. Or that the audience for gaming has grown considerably, meaning publishers can make more money selling to bigger audiences. Or that they've also come up with other means of making money from games, often with predatory practices. Or that digital sales now make up at least half of all games sold, which is a much better margin for them than bricks & mortar. And that all of these publishers are posting record profits pretty much every year.
Lmao come on bro I'm in Australia and the prices have not doubled, RRP has increased from 100 to 110/120. Cut the bullshit.

The $69 price you're quoting is from stores that sell at a loss, the RRP for ps4 games was $100AUD, those same stores could sell ps5 games at a loss too but are choosing not to do so.

OP
OP
Mr_F_Snowman

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
The market will adjust itself eventually. If this new 80€ standard is not accepted by the audience then games will go on sale much quicker, the second-hand market will thrive, and publishers will be forced to correct course.

Yeh second hand for me will be the near future. It seems retailers are keeping the prices very close to RRP which I guess at launch is understandable. Hopefully after the dust settles we will end up basically where we are now where games are widely available for £44.99 at launch

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah, prices are crazy. Was at a store today. Demon's Souls 80€ while Yakuza 7 was 60€. That's just a big difference and personally where I would draw the line

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just added up the price of the games I wanted to buy...damn.
The €10 per game add up quick, especially when you buy digital and everything is 70-80€ already.

Really reconsidering my purchases now.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
I am aware of that, I have plenty in the backlog and will just buy second hand but thought it was worth discussing how it seems to have been completely forgotten about all ready

Has a single review mentioned pricing?

lol why would the price be included in the review? Buy it used or get it via a rental service or split it with a friend.

"sony got away with it again" is an amusing thread title.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but the thread title is borderline troll-bait. They have NOT doubled the price LOL

Yes it sucks they have increased it...will they get away with it? Maybe not if sales are slumped for new releases...or mores if digital sales fall

OP
OP
Mr_F_Snowman

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
None of that has anything to do with why the prices went up. It's officially because of inflation, like I said, among other things. As per Bloomberg:

It's shitty, but it is what it is. This is a premium hobby and you don't really have a (legal) choice.

Its a shitty argument citing "inflation" and the cost of developing games when the profitability and monetization of games has more than outstripped both (hence profits going through the roof all around)

Feb 1, 2018
Its a shitty argument citing "inflation" and the cost of developing games when the profitability and monetization of games has more than outstripped both (hence profits going through the roof all around)

It can be a shitty argument but also a true one, because I cited sources. It is an overall shitty situation.

But again, there's nothing you can do about it, and gaming isn't some utility or human right that should be regulated lmao

The companies set the price and they control the platform and resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.