• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a crime Annihilation didn't do much more than maybe make back its budget.

What a damn good movie.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
I was talking to my co-worker about this recently and it seems that aside from the superhero/Star Wars flicks, most notable sci-fi films have bombed or struggled at the box office in recent years.

Off the top of my head:

Jupiter Ascending
Ghost in the Shell
Star Trek Beyond
Valerian
Ad Astra
Blade Runner 2049
Pacific Rim 2
Terminator: Dark Fate(prolly more due to franchise fatigue tho).

even Alita struggled to break even. Doesn't seem like people are too interested in the genre at the current time, at least when it comes to the futuristic/space fare. Kinda leaves me curious as to how the upcoming Dune films are going to do.

What are you guys thoughts? Am I wrong? lol

I mean only one of those on that list were good (Blade Runner).

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
We had Sci-Fi movies like Gravity, Interstellar, Arrival, The Martian, Inception, Ex Machina and Planet of the Apes in recent years.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Most movies do decently at the box office, it's just that sci fi movies are just more expensive on average so they fail more often.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Theyre also a hard sell because the audience is now used to a talking raccoon explaining the plot to them

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
How many good ones have we had lately? Blade Runner?

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
just because it is sci-fi doesn't mean is good... your list is good example of a bunch of bad movies.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I just rented Ad Astra and was surprised at how bad it was.

I like meditative slow Scifi, but this was just bad. They even threw in 3 completely random action scenes that felt completely tacked on.

Thinking about it though, I don't think I do see a lot of Scifi movies in theater. I like them a lot, it just always seems like a crap shoot if it'll be good or not.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still baffles me how they got Upgrade to look that good with a budget of only 5 million dollars.

Very entertaining although not so high brow.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Thought-provoking how? I liked it enough to see it twice in the theaters, but I don't remember much in the way of original ideas.

Well, originality doesn't mean thought provoking. The story was crafted in such a way that it had me thinking about it long afterward. The story plays with the idea the original did (and well): what does it mean to be human in this universe?

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
2049 is a fantastic movie that the blockbuster popcorn flick crowd aren't able to appreciate. In this climate only marvel esque catchy simple spectacle flicks succeed on a large scale. Movie going is an experience, most people don't go to really be challenged. They want a fun thing to yap about with friends.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Only Blade Runner was worth the ticket price from that list and I have seen most of those movies.

I feel TV shows are doing sci-fi in a much more compelling way. I find The Expanse, Westworld s1 and Colony much more compelling than Ad Astra or Pac Rim 2.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I think there's a thesis about how current society is less receptive to speculative futures, which is why science fiction is on a more mellow state.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
no they're all just shitty.

i'll still go pay to see something that isn't crap.

they fooled me with Annihilation, but they won't get me again. I never Day one shit anymore, and if you stray too far from the source that interested me, good fucking luck.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Only Blade Runner was worth the ticket price from that list and I have seen most of those movies.

I feel TV shows are doing sci-fi in a much more compelling way. I find The Expanse, Westworld s1 and Colony much more compelling than Ad Astra or Pac Rim 2.
It all really depends on the story being told and how it's told; not every story benefits from extended serialization

A lot of great sci fi came out this dead. It's not all Ad Astra and PR2

High Life, Aniara, Upgrade, Prospect, Planet of the Apes trilogy, Hard To Be A God, Arrival, Shin Godzilla, Ex Machina, Her Skin, etc