• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will this affect your purchase of future Atlus titles?

• Yes I will not buy another Atlus title.

• Yes I will not buy any title involving Hashino

• Yes I’ll only buy them used.

• No but I won’t buy Catherine Full Body.

• No I will continue to purchase future Atlus titles.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There have been many graveyard threads on Era over the last year, and I think at this point many users have been silenced from speaking their mind. ResetEra is very much a beehive where you can get banned for expressing opinions, which is why the posts you see in such threads may not necessarily reflect the community as a whole. I personally don't really post in political or moral threads on Era any more as debates here have become difficult -- opinions are silenced and thus the only people left are people who just agree with each other. It's become masturbation, not actual discussion of serious issues, as only one opinion is often allowed. Thankfully that's not the case in more lighthearted threads, which would be most threads on the gaming side.

I'm not weighing in on this specific issue, but I will say that in general I tend to stay out of any political/moral discussion on Era for this reason -- Even though I more often than not agree with the Era consensus I just don't feel comfortable participating because of how rigid/dicey it is. Easier to just talk about games/gameplay and nothing else.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Didn't expect a different poll result after the Dragon Quest thing. If people aren't willing to skip a game with an openly homophobic head, I don't see them skipping an entire company over story beats that can be easily ignored.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Im currently playing an Atlus game on my cellphone "Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation Dx2 " and Persona 5 is my favorite jRPG from this gen, so thers my answer about future Atlus games.
Saying that, im not interested in the new Catherine game. Already played it last gen.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
So yesterday yes to boycott was barely leading by a 10 vote margin early on or so, then no started getting a lead. Now it's at least 245 vote lead🤔

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Absolutely not. As an Arab LGBT gamer I'm not wearing my heart on my sleeve when I see shitty or harmful representation of an aspect of myself.

crash-14

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty much it, discussions have become so tribal and moderators have always leaned harder into the progressive side. If you arent on the team, you are against progressive ideals, its ultimately hard to discuss when its so black and white minded and there is a lack of transparency in what is considered actionable. So at the end why bother getting into discussions in grey areas when you probably wont get through to anyone, people start to dog pile, and then you get banned on top of that. Any kind of discussion that isnt complete agreement is always in danger to "trivialize" the issue. Ive seen a lot of ridiculous bans (not these threads specifically) like this and it ultimately drives away even progressive minded people to not talking because they dont agree with a degree or a point. So people dont post and it creates an echo chamber so we get a perception of how things are. I really dont think era is the place to have meaningful discussions on social issues. I think everyone has their hearts in the right place though.

You're right and I experienced that in first hand.

So you just end up going past this kind of topics, gathering information about the mather to be informed but not bothering to share an opinion (Despite agreeing with the matter) ending up just focusing on the videogame aspect of the forum.

Ramb0s Corner

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Oklahoma City
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling in a sensitive thread, account in junior phase
The other thread idea I had in light of recent developments.

If you're unsure what I'm talking about look here.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ma...transphobic-moreso-than-that-original.100027/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...tsura-hashino-director-producer-atlus.100145/

Thread topic is simple. Has this event made you reconsider your decision to buy future Atlus games or games involving Hashino?

While I most likely won't buy Full Body,bar ATLUS JP getting their shit together and changing that scene or ATLUS USA doing a major clean up, I can't say I'll stop buying Persona related games. I'll probably keep an ear out to hear how bad it is but with Hashino moving to Project Re:fantasy I'm hoping some new blood will come to Persona and help with the series representation issues.

So. How do you feel on the subject?
It will solely be because of the thread that you are referring to that I buy every Atlus game that comes out and even going back and buying the Atlas games that I missed new so that way they get my money.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It will solely be because of the thread that you are referring to that I buy every Atlus game that comes out and even going back and buying the Atlas games that I missed new so that way they get my money.
While I see your banned I still want to say this is a poor attitude.

While I am most likely still going to buy Atlus titles, doing so in some sort of attempt to "show up" people who are just concerned about representation is an extremely poor look.

I hope we can have a better attitude about this.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn, because I really like Catherine and was looking forward to Full Body. I haven't read the spoilers, but they must be quite egregious to the point that I've heard about it past Era and from the official English VA for Rin

Murdamonk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an Atlus-fan and I love Catherine, so it's kinda hard for me, but I pass on this game. Won't necesarily pass on future Atlus products though.

But isn't it a good thing to question what you buy? Blind consumerism isn't the best way forward imo.
. For me personally, i will buy a product if I like it.

It is like if someone ask you stop using Apple products because of all the child labor...

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Truly are. Does it make you a bigot to support Atlus? Not exactly but your hands aren't clean either, imo. You can't tell me you support gay rights but then support a developer that treats the lgbtq community poorly in their games. You don't get to be an ally only when it suits your discussions or political leanings but then stop when it comes to your entertainment.

Wish I could just mass ignore those that chose the last option. Massively disappointed by the straight people on this site, time and time again.

There are lots of gay people that are not boycotting either...I think you overestimate how big a deal this is to people. For example I still plan to purchase Catherine because it's a lot more than those scenes...I hope they can change some stuff up in the localization too, that'd be great if Atlus USA heard the feedback. Regardless, Catherine was one of my favorite games last generation and I'm still looking forward to it.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
Truly are. Does it make you a bigot to support Atlus? Not exactly but your hands aren't clean either, imo. You can't tell me you support gay rights but then support a developer that treats the lgbtq community poorly in their games. You don't get to be an ally only when it suits your discussions or political leanings but then stop when it comes to your entertainment.

Wish I could just mass ignore those that chose the last option. Massively disappointed by the straight people on this site, time and time again.
Let's be honest here, none of this is surprising. The reaction here is exactly how i expect it to be.

Yes, we all make compromises to survive living in the west. For a significant amount of cases, the product is essential to our way life.

However, video games do not fall under such a category. Boycotting it should not be that difficult. But alas video games are serious business.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are lots of gay people that are not boycotting either...I think you overestimate how big a deal this is to people. For example I still plan to purchase Catherine because it's a lot more than those scenes...I hope they can change some stuff up in the localization too, that'd be great if Atlus USA heard the feedback. Regardless, Catherine was one of my favorite games last generation and I'm still looking forward to it.

Yeah, I know. And not all queer people are model citizens either. So I feel just as disappointment with them too.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018

Wow.

Posts like these are why people talk about echo chambers.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
I have never let social issues get in the way of purchasing items purely for entertainment purposes. So no, I won't be boycotting Atlus.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not any more. Hashino directed Nocturne.

SMT 4 and onwards, he has nothing to do with.

If i'm not mistaken that point has already been adressed in the other topic : Kazuma Kaneko was the creative director behind SMT3; Hashino was more the technical director.

The fates of both directors between 2003 and 2006 really show who was the main driving force behind Nocturne anyway (alas).

Heather3Ever

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
User banned (permanent): troll account
Anyone that voted that they will still buy atlus games are not allies and shouldn't be allowed on this forum

Toadofsky

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
Okay, please tell a mod to permban me if they agree.

Same here. I have zero interest in playing Catherine and very little knowledge on Catherine other than what I've seen people talking about here.

But I don't think people voting what they think over this is grounds for banning (especially if the options on a vote are there in The first place).

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Same here. I have zero interest in playing Catherine and very little knowledge on Catherine other than what I've seen people talking about here.

But I don't think people voting what they think over this is grounds for banning (especially if the options on a vote are there in The first place).
Is that a new kind of trolling?
Looking at the # of posts they have is usually a good way to tell if they're trolling.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

While I'm bisexual and probably will no longer buy Hashino's games unless there is massive course correction, this stroke you've painted feels too broad for my liking. I think there are a lot more important values of a human being than the type of video games they buy. It isn't like under capitalism people don't buy all sorts of products funding terrible things - how many people on this forum pay for military shooters that are thinly-veiled propaganda (and in some cases put the money towards the actual imperialism the US military commits)?

It's a personal choice, I believe. Despite my disgust with recent developments, I wouldn't begrudge others for continuing to buy Atlus games. Hashino's games also don't really speak for the other directors/developers who create games outside of his sphere at that company.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
My issue isn't with people who will continue to buy Atlus games. That's totally their choice.

No my problem is with those who just clearly don't give a shit.

Oct 25, 2017
No

Not because i condone their behaviour/attitude of those people in question, but i play the games, not the developers.

I dont like Catherine as a game anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
IIRC hasn't it been said that Persona 5 is the last Persona game where Hoshino is personally involved? I mean in the "it's time for the next generation people to do it" kind of a thing. Or maybe I'm imagining things, but I could distinctly remember people saying this.

Toadofsky

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
While I'm bisexual and probably will no longer buy Hashino's games unless there is massive course correction, this stroke you've painted feels too broad for my liking. I think there are a lot more important values of a human being than the type of video games they buy. It isn't like under capitalism people don't buy all sorts of products funding terrible things - how many people on this forum pay for military shooters that are thinly-veiled propaganda (and in some cases put the money towards the actual imperialism the US military commits)?

It's a personal choice, I believe. Despite my disgust with recent developments, I wouldn't begrudge others for continuing to buy Atlus games. Hashino's games also don't really speak for the other directors/developers who create games outside of his sphere at that company.

^ This. And if people wanna play Catherine, they'll play Catherine, that's up to them. Holding all of Atlus to blame over it, is over reaching.

I find it hilarious how people can defend shooters they like or gush over a game like Daddy of War where you play a genocidial maniac but a silly Kingdom Hearts game or an anime game makes them scared of how they'll be viewed by others. I mean you go to a forum that's about 80-90% video games, you ain't talking about in depth high class art folks, c'mon now.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Why? People don't care really or not enough to change their decision

Well, people often handwaves troublesome things if they mean they could indulge in various modern luxuries, not just videogames. Now, I'm not saying that people shouldn't boycott this game if they so wish, or that this issue is not important enough for people to care about but yeah... it's just what people in general do. Heck, it's something that we ALL do, in various capacities.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Well it sure doesn't help, but P5's lack of quality was enough for me to stop playing their games.