• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Anyone else having some Quarantine-Weather Friends?

Entertaining them but I already know we won't be talking much once this is over

That said, definitely going to be going out more and enjoying freedom when this is all over... next year

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Nah.

It's fine to have tiers of friends (super close versus occasional hang out buddies). Just have proper expectations.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
No. To be fair I don't have social media so I think it would be difficult for a good number of people like this to reach out in the first place.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I've reached out to some but it's because they are in the medical field. Want to make sure they are good and in good spirits. Nbody has reached out to me but I'm pretty good at talking to my friends regularly.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I have reached out to a lot of friends that live in other cities who I don't see much anymore.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
It's rather bizarre to negatively frame people reaching out to others in a time of crisis see how they're doing as being "quarantine-weather friends."

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Yeah, funnily enough I've had a few old friends reach out and even a couple of old girlfriends that I haven't seen in over 10 years.

Its an odd time.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Nope.

I am really bad at keeping relationships alive, so pretty much nobody (except for my parents, and my two best and actual friends) has reached out the 6 years I've been living alone in Sweden, let alone now during the virus. :p

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I can't quite tell if this is happening or Animal Crossing is happening. Perhaps both. I had two old friends reach out to me over the past two days about Switch: one just got one and wanted to play together once he was set up with it, another already had it but chatted and invited me to play Animal Crossing with them. I haven't physically seen either in over five years, but have kept in touch with both on social media here and there.

My impression is more people are playing Switch and seeking me out because of that (due to quarantine or AC) than strictly reaching out due to COVID boredom. I have noticed I've been texting quarantined friends more often but the conversations aren't necessarily longer than they were before.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
i've found myself sending out many messages to people I care about, even if I don't talk to them a whole lot or haven't talked to them in a long time. Mortality has always been on my mind, but with how likely it is that everyone will know multiple people who will pass away from the pandemic I've decided to have a small chat with everyone I haven't talked to in a long time that I'd like to talk to at least one more time. I've caught up with a lot of people and rekindled some friendships, and it gives me a good sense of closure in the event of anything happening.

Deleted member 11796

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I've had the opposite happen. My friends are taking it pretty seriously and are instead focusing on work and family instead of hanging out virtually.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Had a couple of folks I was close with 20 years ago both recently contact me. Just to chat. Nothing ulterior. Not asking for anything. Just our lives were going different directions, I was very dedicated to shaolin do training, and college and also worked and was doing the married life before them so ...yeah. We just drifted away cause I was obsessed with self improvement and pushing myself further in life and in my own potential. 20 years later they all sorta either didn't do anything or they traveled state to state for work and then wound up back here anyway.

I wish them the best and hope they do well. I just feel awkward because I know that after 20 years none of us are the children we once were and we've all grown into our own people seperately. Friends are friends but its kind of awkward being in a room with people you know and having no clue what they're into or how we all act anymore. Doesn't help that I made it and they didn't so I always feel nervous about talking about my life because I know my day to day is far removed from what it used to be for 33 years. Theres not much relating to the problems I have now with a bustling career, opportunities and savings to worry about. Plus they all got kids and I dont. I just...I feel self conscious and guilty all the time when I really just want to talk to them again. Like If I tell them something I'm happy for that I can do now that I earned it that it may be taken wrong or hurt their pride accidently because they are in a very different financial situation than me now.
I may just be neurotic. I love them all, but I'm afraid of hurting them with any happiness I have achieved because it may come across as rubbing things in their face by accident. We all had different skillsets, opportunities and responsibilities. Life just ended up very different for each of us.

Its just...odd. We love each other but have no clue how to relate to each others lives and lifestyles anymore. Strange feelings being visited by messages from folks I used to be so close to. I wish them well.

Last edited:

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of my friends seem scared to hell and back of the pandemic and it's effect. Others, scared of how idiots like Trump and Bolsonaro react to it.

I reached out to a girl I told that we would be nothing other than acquaintances... but I somehow care about her...

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No, but because of Animal Crossing I'm reconnecting with a few friends...So I guess because of the virus, everybody is playing Animal Crossing which is why I'm getting the chance to talk to people I rarely get the chance to because I'm bad at communicating.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Nope. No one wants to talk to the person with the brutally-honest (read: gloomy and pessimistic) outlook on life.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've actually been in touch with high school and college friends much more (I'm in my late 20's). We all have something in common again.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I thought about texting my ex who I haven't spoken to in 6 years, if that counts.

Probably a bad idea.

...I might still do it.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a healthcare worker at a hospital, so I've had a few people text me to ask me how things are, if I'm ok, and to stay safe.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I've reached out to people I haven't talked to in a while but that doesn't make me a fair-weather friend. I just want to check in on people. If I only contacted them because I wanted something then that would be another story.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I have reached out to a lot of friends that live in other cities who I don't see much anymore.
Yeah, same. I have more time and everyone is at home which is the perfect combination to get in touch with friends all over the world.
It's rather bizarre to negatively frame people reaching out to others in a time of crisis see how they're doing as being "quarantine-weather friends."
Fully agreed. I genuinely care about the people I'm reaching out to now, I just don't have the capacity to be in close contact with all of them all the time usually. And that's ok (especially if they don't live in the same city).

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
I've reached out to people I have not often contact. But I still want them to know that I think about them and hope that they are well.
I don't see a problem with this.

Oct 25, 2017
i am the person who's reaching out to people they don't usually talk to

my social anxiety is being superceded by my pandemic anxiety

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Happened near the beginning of lockdown when someone from school (with whom I had never previously spoken with) started chatting at me about common interests.
I get the impression they were drunk text flirting

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, a guy I used to talk to nearly a decade ago tried to add me to his PS4 friends list.

Ignored him, not sure what he wants but I'm not buying it.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
No.

I reached out to my Sister. We usually don't talk. Only on birthdays when the family comes together. But other than 2 short text messages after I reached out that was it.

Nov 8, 2017
My friend told me he's been getting a few texts lately asking him to play games online (Call of Duty, Poker, etc.) from people who otherwise would never ask him to play games online.

Myself, nope.

louie

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, quite a few. It's been nice catching up, and knowing that I'm in the back of their mind somewhere.