• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 17, 2017
Personally anything before Gen 4 has not aged well due to the Physical/Special split but also just a lot of QoL other features. Like going back to Gen 1 or 2 and not having running shoes is such a pain.

I think Gen 5 has aged the best. It has a unique visual style and great sprite work so it doesn't age too much visually. The gameplay mechanics, features and QoL are all excellent and modern and don't feel like they're missing much compared to the gens after. And as far as "less Pokemon" go, Black and White limiting the Pokedex to only Gen 5 pokemon, thus creating a "soft reboot" makes the game feel like it's own thing and not like it's missing Pokemon.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I've played pretty much every generation and the only ones I think I'd want to go back to today are Gen 3 and Gen 5 because their battles are snappy and everything is polished to a fine sheen. I never played HeartGold/SoulSilver but I hear those have also aged very well, though I hate Gen 4's interface and overall sluggishness.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Gen 4/5 have aged very well.

Partly because they arent introducing much more to the battle system outside of temporary gimmicks. Since then. Also the art style is great.

Gen 3 is missing the physical/special split and also has a washed out color pallete.

Gen 6 looks ugly af, especially the character models.

Gen 1/2 are just too old.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
As others have said, the DS games have aged really well (Platinum, B/W, B/W2). I'm also a big fan of the GBA games.

The 3DS games were a step in the wrong direction in terms of game design. Pokémon has always been accessible to children but the games have always been solid RPGs. With the 3DS games, they designed the games to be aimed at children first and foremost, as opposed to just being accessible to children. It sounds like a small difference but the world design, pacing and handholding were all much worse in the 3DS titles.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, the DS games have aged really well (Platinum, B/W, B/W2). I'm also a big fan of the GBA games.

The 3DS games were a step in the wrong direction in terms of game design. Pokémon has always been accessible to children but the games have always been solid RPGs. With the 3DS games, they designed the games to be aimed at children first and foremost, as opposed to just being accessible to children. It sounds like a small difference but the world design, pacing and handholding were all much worse in the 3DS titles.
Sun and Moon are harder and less linear than Black and White so I'd say they course corrected

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
The 3DS era is the worst so shrug
If you cant stomach the HORRORS of gen I (ps: you can. people are exaggerating), just play the gba remakes

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
First generation is a bit poor with regards to some quality of life stuff, but yeah they are all very playable

Lokefm94

Oct 27, 2017
with the exception of Diamond/pearl, that were a bit rough in the edges, the DS era is still top notch. HG/SS is still one of the best pokemon games for me, specially that one Arceus in game event. That thing kept me wondering for years.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I believe Gen 3 and 4 (GBA and DS) have aged better than literally every game after them

DrBillRiverman

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
All the games are perfectly playable, pokemon is a franchise for children and therefore there isn't really too much challenge if played in the traditional mannar.

However some are harder to play than others, anything older than the GBA is rough.
Anything after and including gen 5 is filled in ith constant interruptions and rail roading.

Gen 3 and 4 are the sweet spot, the franchise was at its best with: FRLG, HGSS, Emerald and Platinum

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Everything post physical/special split (i.e. Gen 4) is muy bien; I've been replaying HeartGold recently, and it's as fun now as it was before.

Gen III still feels right, though, so I go through those games again every once in a while, too.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I believe Gen 3 and 4 (GBA and DS) have aged better than literally every game after them

i would include gen V despite not being the biggest fan. the games are perfect for portable playing, the sprites still look good and frankly special/split are less of a bother than people make it up to be, the games are still easy enough for it to be a non nuisance in casual plays. it's when the games go 3D that the age starts showing, i wouldnt recommend ORAS over Emerald to anyone

I find gen 2 and specially crystal perfectly playable, but i can understand why some people wouldnt. starting from the gba though you would get gen 1 and 2 remakes and be up to par with anything so, no loss anyway.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I don't even think Red and Blue have "aged poorly". They're still fun to replay and frankly much better paced than many of the newer games.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
I honestly think everything aside from Gen III (so RSE and FRLG) has aged well. The movepool needed a massive shakeup by then which it got in Gen IV alongside the glorious physical/special split.

I also think natures were a bad idea without being able to be changed

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I posted this in May...
3ff3e7781b2988c12c9b8abb0db0a985.png

So yeah, I'd say they have aged tremendously well.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
i would include gen V despite not being the biggest fan. the games are perfect for portable playing, the sprites still look good and frankly special/split are less of a bother than people make it up to be, the games are still easy enough for it to be a non nuisance in casual plays. it's when the games go 3D that the age starts showing, i wouldnt recommend ORAS over Emerald to anyone

I find gen 2 and specially crystal perfectly playable, but i can understand why some people wouldnt. starting from the gba though you would get gen 1 and 2 remakes and be up to par with anything so, no loss anyway.
I think Gen 5 is fine, but for a new fan wanting to get into the series I would recommend HG/SS. Personally I think Gen 2 plays fine, but with remakes existing that offer everything they do and more there's no real reason to play Crystal for a new fan if you have access to HG/SS

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
There's no ideal Pokemon game, but they do hold up to varying degrees.

Gen III holds up well - it's got a rock solid framerate, it introduced the Running Shoes, and the Hoenn games have the fastest bike in the series. Plus, Emerald has (the better version of) the Battle Frontier. The biggest issue, IMO, is the lack of transparency on which types use the Attack stat and which use Special Attack. Breeding/training a multiplayer-competitive was nearly impossible in these games, but that's a non-issue when revisiting in 2019.

Gen IV holds up, except for how slow it is. Even Platinum is a noticeable downgrade from Gen III in performance. On the other hand, there's loads of optional areas, a whopping 18 legendary/mythical Pokemon to find (most of which have dedicated locations in the world), and a (scaled back) Battle Frontier. It also features some extra tools to facilitate training, but again, that's not as much of a factor with the community naturally moving on to current games.

Gen V retains the modern comforts introduced in Gen IV and has the best performance in the series - the overworld is a solid 30 FPS instead of 60 like in Gen III, but the battle system is 60 FPS and speeds up things like the health bar animation to make battles faster than any other entries. That alone makes them my favorite games in the series to revist. The campaigns in BW1 and BW2 have different philosophies - BW has the most straightforward campaign (literally), so it's pleasant to just blast through, while BW2 takes the kitchen sink approach like Platinum did. They lack the Battle Frontier, but BW2 has lots of side content in its own right, like the Pokemon World Tournament and PokeStar Studios (as well as 15 legendary Pokemon). Just about the only things newer entries have over Gen V are connectivity features and the new Pokemon themselves.

(I have limited experience with Gens I and II, so I'll let other people judge them.)

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I think Gen 5 is fine, but for a new fan wanting to get into the series I would recommend HG/SS. Personally I think Gen 2 plays fine, but with remakes existing that offer everything they do and more there's no real reason to play Crystal for a new fan if you have access to HG/SS

i dont really agree with "HGSS is crystal but better" though. much of the balance, as little as it was, in gen 2 was based on special/split not existing and some of the new moves and all abilities not existing. so i feel like HGSS despite being amazing games are sort of a watered down version of gen 2 (which wasnt incredibly challenging to begin with, but still)

in fact i think HGSS looks better when you play gen 2 first and appreciate all the improvements despite the minor setbacks it brought. i'd definitely recommend someone to play crystal before still. its not really that hard to grasp even in this day and age.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Gen 1 - If you have nostalgia, yes, they're still fun. If not, absolutely not.
Gen 2 - Yes, Crystal in particular is very good by any standard.
Gen 3 - Fuck yes. Emerald, Colosseum and XD are still some of the greatest games ever made, the music is timeless, the challenge just right.. Fantastic.
FRLG - They're not great or anything, but they are the best way to experience Kanto.
Gen 4 - DP? Absolutely not, waaaaaaaaaaaaay too slow, even back when they were new. Platinum and HGSS? Yes. Platinum fixes DP's issues and turns them in to a great game.
HGSS - builds on the fantastic Crystal and makes it even better (I wish they'd kept the Pokethlon..)
Gen 5 - Absolutely. No handholding, a great challenge with fantastic design and progression. B2W2 are the highpoint of the series.
Gen 6 - No. X/Y feel rushed as hell, very hard to recommend.
ORAS - Yes. Not as good as Emerald, but the Delta Episode is a welcome addition, and soaring/Pokenav are fantastic too. Very worth playing.
Gen 7 - No. USUM is the lowpoint of the series, devoid of creativity and life. Handholding is ridiculous to the point of being frustrating.
Let's Go - No. Featureless crap. If you want Kanto, play FRLG.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
i dont really agree with "HGSS is crystal but better" though. much of the balance, as little as it was, in gen 2 was based on special/split not existing and some of the new moves and all abilities not existing. so i feel like HGSS despite being amazing games are sort of a watered down version of gen 2 (which wasnt incredibly challenging to begin with, but still)

in fact i think HGSS looks better when you play gen 2 first and appreciate all the improvements despite the minor setbacks it brought. i'd definitely recommend someone to play crystal before still. its not really that hard to grasp even in this day and age.
Eh, I don't really think a casual fan would care. Imo, HG/SS are the best Pokémon games ever made but everyone has their reasons for what they enjoy

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Gen 5 has aged pretty damn well. The battle system and animations are snappy and feel good, it has a decent difficulty curve, great presentation (probably the best looking Pokemon games), decent story and characters by Pokemon standards, and IMO the Pokemon themselves are cool although a lot of the better ones you only get later and it probably has the worst set of starters.

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
FRLG - They're not great or anything, but they are the best way to experience Kanto.

FRLG have a lot of QoL improvements over the originals, but I wouldn't say they're a superior way to experience the region. A massive portion of the Kanto roster has become comparably less viable to other Kanto pokemon over time due to the mechanical and game design changes that occurred over the generations. It also makes some very questionable decisions like giving Fossil Pokemon to the player at level 5 instead of 30 (making it impossible to use them without grinding) and it replaces all of the Gen 1 TMs with Gen 3 TMs.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Hell yes. I've played through Pokémon Yellow, Crystal and Platinum over the past year and I've had an absolute blast with all of them.

It'd probably be weird to go backwards since the older games are way slower, but they're perfectly enjoyable.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I find playing Gens I, II, and IV (and V to an extent) the most playable, even despite QoL from later games. They also look the best (except when V tries to be 3D).

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
Gen 1 - HELL THE FUCK NO
Gen 2 - Playable, but hell no
Gen 3 - Playable, but no. Too much has changed.
Gen 1 Remakes - Playable but no. Too much has changed.
Gen 4 - Absolutely, because it's the first and only time visiting this region.
Gen 2 Remakes - Absolutely, because you're getting everything that Gen 4 brought to the mix AND everything that Gen 2 brought to the mix and then some. Easily the best in the series.
Gen 5 - Absolutely, because it's the first and only time visiting this region, AND there was like zero handholding. Easily the second best in the series.
Gen 6 - Hell no, easily the most boring generation. Gorgeous game, but boring AF.
Gen 3 Remakes - Absolutely, you get everything from Gen 3 and a whole revamped map with controlled flight over the entire region?! Arguably one of the best in the series.
Gen 7 - Playable, but the forced handholding and cutscenes make it a rigorous chore. The super-linear design of each island doesn't help either.
Yeah I agree with this. I love Gens 1-3 but it's really hard to go back to them in the current day. I'm still glad we have the option of buying Gens 1 and 2 on the 3DS VC. Given TPC's decision making, I'm not sure we'll see them re-released anytime soon

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I think pretty much the entire series has aged well, but it's also hard for me to see the age since I grew up on them and tolerate some things new players may find rough I guess. I actually played Platinum for the first time this year and it's an excellent game. I've replayed Black and SoulSilver over the past 2-3 years and they've likewise held up very well. I even played Yellow for the first time last year and thought that was excellent even now and I'd even take it straight up over some of the newer games.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Yes, but I also think a lot of turn-based RPG haved "aged" well becuase the genre really hasn't evolved in decades, specifically console-styled RPGs. These days instead of "evolving' the genre and adding mechanics/features that are standard, it's more like each franchise is doing it's own thing.
Only one that I don't think aged well is Gen 1 from a mechanical perspective.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
All of them hold up. Earlier gens have some annoying item and menu management, but otherwise the gameplay is still great. They are menu-based JRPGs, so it's not like modern controls or physics make it hard to go back to past entries. The art style of all the games is pretty clean and simple. Gen I is not a looker by any stretch, but it excels in readability. Look at some lesser GB games to see what a mess some of those look like in comparison.

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
There is so much good Pokemon on the DS. I can go back and play those games and they feel perfect.

Battle speed might be the only thing I would complain about today.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Heart Gold and Soul Silver feel really timeless to me. Doesn't hurt that they are totally gorgeous as well.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah I'm mean there's some quality of life improvements that you miss when you go backwards but they're not unplayable or unenjoyable by any means.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Gen 4 and 5 aged fantastically, and I feel Emerald and FRLG are still the defintive Hoenn and Kanto experiences. Like the series from 2004-2012 hit this sweet spot of quality content that just kept escalating game after game, and playing them today is stil the same experience as playing them back then. SwSh so far is looking to hit that standard and I damn well hope it does.