• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Have loading screen tips ever helped or revealed mechanics to you?

• Yes

Votes: 192 85.3%
  • No

Votes: 33 14.7%

• Total voters

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Playing the Destroy All Humans remake and saw a tip near the end of the game while loading that said you could mash the button to complete brain extractions faster. Had zero idea that was even a thing and changed how I played the last few missions.

First time in my memory I've had loading screen screen advice actually say something other than x to attack lol, ie shit you already know

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but it's a really bad, completely random way to reveal interesting or important information to the player. :/

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
No. I wish I had an option to just leave loading screens blank. Or fill them with some cool loading screen art.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yes, but it's a really bad, completely random way to reveal interesting or important information to the player. :/
What's worse is when you finally get to one you want to read and then loading ends and you don't have a chance to read the whole thing. šŸ™

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah in BOTW. But that's one of those games where the developers thought of every possible combination of the elements. As a gamer you're so used to artificial boundaries and eventually you think "there's no way if I throw a metal sword towards enemies during a thunder storm that it could work to my advantage....

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
In hitman they confirmed my suspicioun about how hiding in a locker etc works, no one will find you in them unless they see you go in. But yeah in general either I have no idea what the systems they are referring to are, if I just started the game, or if I've been playing a while they are redundant.

Shout out to Spec Ops: The Line for using them in an interesting narrative way.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was me more than once during SoT loading screens:
tenor.gif

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes

Final Fantasy VII Remake (holding L1 when using items/healing spells to quick select them multiple times)

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes but it's usually when I come back to a game after having a break from it for awhile then not remembering all the systems/controls.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
TLOU2 for sure. Especially seeing how much the gameplay expanded since the first game, so I needed the reminder that things can be done differently now. It helped to be context sensitive too. Just made me realize how much effort it must've taken to implement that.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
As a gamer you're so used to artificial boundaries and eventually you think "there's no way if I throw a metal sword towards enemies during a thunder storm that it could work to my advantage....
This is not an artificial boundary. Making sure this work requires a deliberate effort by the designers.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
kinda sorta. i can recall like 2 or three specific times i was like "huh.. i can do that"

but even if it isn't helpful i like the "chillax a sec and learn tips/lore" premise. will miss it assuming it is on its way out

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly prefer mini-games like Tekken 5 or DBZ Budokai 3. Too bad Namco somehow got a frickin' patent on loading screen mini-games...

Skitso

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Nothing I can remeber, no. Witcher 3 had a nice story recap in it's loading screens though... I'd love to have stuff like that more common.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and I'm wondering what the process for them will be in an age of SSD loading. I know you can always include them in a menu, but I get the feeling that people generally don't dive into those as much as they should. They could use UI overlays temporarily but then you get into design questions of "how often do we do these", "what does that do to information density" and so on. I'm really interested on how stuff like that gets solved.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So far just once. Ghost of Tsushima. I remember hearing about a "clean sword" button, but figured maybe it was switched out or I just misremembered.

Thankfully a random tip screen still early in the game revealed the touchpad swipes. I don't recall the game explaining the swipes and I'm surprised I even caught the tip with the fast loading.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Definitely. I wish I could remember some specific examples but I know I've gone "Wait I can do that?" while watching the load screen. It's a shame though, I think if that happens then they've failed to teach me how to play properly.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
having recently replayed crash 2 and 3 on the n sanity trilogy, i appreciated that the loading screen helped jog my memory of the arbitrarily arcane secrets in those games

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
This is not an artificial boundary. Making sure this work requires a deliberate effort by the designers.

My argument is that it's a cultural one. BOTW barely explains anything and it's up to the player to find out all of these mechanics.

I don't think it's a flaw... I really enjoyed the experimentation that the game allows. I'm so used to games that explain all of the mechanics that said game will give you that it was shocking (but refreshing) to play BOTW where the designers were like "Go at it".

ntinosaur

Oct 27, 2017
Yeap. I'm currently playing Death Stranding and i learnt this way that you can throw cargo at Mules (super fun btw).

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
Yes. I resent any game that doesn't mention these mechanics anywhere else though, especially if it is some obscure button combination.

Ducayne

Oct 27, 2017
I think they are most helpful when trying to return to a game after a long while, so you can quickly relearn the mechanics.

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017
Rarely unless the game is just bad at explaining things or it's been a long time since I played the game.Kingdom of Amalur for example after not playing for a couple of years, it was good to remember how to quickly replenish health in battle with a single button I had forgotten on keyboard.

While not the exact same, I very much appreciated Bayonetta's combo tutorial area while the game was loading stages and areas. Showing off your combos, letting you test out weapons, etc.

Not actual load screen tips, just tips in general, Ring Fit Adventure is solid in helping for newcomers with what it does in writing and audio.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing very remarkable, but sure, they've occasionally told me something I didn't know or had forgot about. MGS V is one game where I remember them as helpful.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
For the last 5 or so years I've been tempted to make a thread about how because load screens go by so fast due to my SSDs, the fact that there are gameplay tips on them just PISSES ME OFF. I have to practice being a damn speed reader because I have a few seconds at best and sometimes the developers includes a few sentences, or explanation of button/key combinations.

I'm like "Blah, blah okay... Ffff I missed it."

But complaining about load screens being too fast would be the dumbest thing ever, right? First world as anything. It's more that load screen tips are clearly designed to parlay with slow HDD users, but if devs are gooing to put actually useful stuff there, they should put those tips somewhere else in the game for PC players who only get to see the load screen for 2 to 3 seconds.

OP
OP
Chance Hale

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Yeah I have an ssd on pc and might have only noticed because destroy all humans is one of those rare games that makes you hit a button/key to continue these days

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
There have probably been a few times over the years but none I can recall. I find that load screen tips are ideal if you haven't played a game for a few months and help jog your memory.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they've been helpful.

Maybe even more so like 25% the way through a game. Not far enough along to have figured everything out, but I'll probably have even forgotten some basic things from the tutorial.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, a couple times where I've been reminded about a move I only used briefly in the tutorial.