• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Plug your PC into your TV.

Or just stick to playing exclusives on PC and buy multiplats where you prefer them. Is that really a bad thing? Not everybody is the type to want to mess around with the openness of PC gaming.

I get the convenience thing. Anything that runs well on Switch, I generally buy there instead (if it doesn't have an insane Switch tax like most Capcom ports). I'm still primarily a PC gamer in the sense that I buy most games on there and most of my MP gaming happens there, but I'm all about the Switch as well.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I love alot of aspects of PC gaming but i can't deny that convenience is king on consoles and it's what keeps bringing me back. Pc inconveniences have been a big turn off for me lately plus, the whole Epic games fiasco among other stuff is really pushing me to go consoles only next gen.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
I unhooked my PC and it's sitting in my closet, the only PC gaming I could see me doing is getting a laptop for point and click adventure games

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I play mostly pc only stuff on pc like falcom games only on steam and indie stuff on steam and a lot of emulators.
Anything else even multi platform stuff I just use PS4.

best way I found

GrimJawz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd like to go the pc route at some point eventually, but it always seems a little to rich for my blood, hell just a 1060 in canadian usually hovers around 400+

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
If that's a factor for you, keeping a gaming rig upgraded costs around twice as much as buying a console, and you probably have to do it every two years.

Nobody needs to upgrade their hardware every 2 years. That's complete nonsense. Hardware scales so much more efficiently today.

Tales FYA.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I find playing on my PS4 way less convenient than Switch and PC so I can't say I relate, but you should do what works best foe you.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Weird, PC are so easy to use nowadays, aside from Nvidia sometimes shitting the bed with their crap drivers, I have 0 issues. And if a game is buggy, it is usually just as buggy on consoles if not moreso. Plus, SSD and high refresh rates makes PC gaming so much more pleasant, Destiny 2 is sooooo much faster on PC. If you want the big screen experience, just hook your PC up to the TV - I have my PC hooked up to an ultrawidescreen monitor and a 4k TV. Also, for the PC, it is so easy to cheat on single player games or mod it if you so choose (please don't cheat on multiplayer games...).

I guess my main complaint is that allot of game developers don't bake in ultrawidescreen support so I then either play it on my 4k TV (easy lazy solution) or mod in ultrawidescreen support.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. My consoles are only for exclusives. Everything looks and plays better on PC, and the ability to multitask with a multi-monitor setup just can't be beat.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Nobody needs to upgrade their hardware every 2 years. That's complete nonsense. Hardware scales so much more efficiently today.

Tales FYA.

No, that's true. Nobody needs to. But you can either have your "4k ultra details RTX PC gaming" of the newest games that the PC folks here seem so keen on, and then you kinda do, or you can play in 1080/60 on mayyybe high settings, and then you need to upgrade maybe every 3 or 4 years. Pick one.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
No, that's true. Nobody needs to. But you can either have your "4k ultra details RTX PC gaming" of the newest games that the PC folks here seem so keen on, and then you kinda do, or you can play in 1080/60 on mayyybe high settings, and then you need to upgrade maybe every 3 or 4 years. Pick one.

1080/60 high settings (still better than aging consoles) with hardware that's 4 years old.

That's a great ROI for a PC gamer.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I used to be pc gamer, got bored with pc games and cheaters. I have ps4 for last 3 years. I doubt i would buy gaming PC again, i looked at Steam top 100 played games i there's basicaly 2 games i would play including BF5. I have no interest in strategic or magical games, indie or japanese type of games

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Aside from platform-exclusive games, it all really comes down to lifestyle and preference.

I have a desk job, and I spend most of my days reading thousand-page long PDF docs and typing a lot. But at home, I spend basically no time in the living room- that's my parents' domain (due to the lovely real estate situation, it makes more sense for me to rent out my own apartment, rather then live there on my salary). So I stick to my PC, and I still find myself staying up till the wee hours of the night sitting in my comfy office chair, with a 5-mouse button and good keyboard. And that set-up works for me- when I'm not out partying/socializing or playing sports.

When I'll eventually be able to afford living comfortably on my own, I'll probably entertain picking up a PS5 and a TV and catching up on 2 generations' worth of Sony exclusives. Unless by then PS Now will be a robust service on PC, in which case I might not need to.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Except that's not what I said. So, yeah, you're fighting a strawman.
"and you probably have to do it every two years."

This is you not implying that one probably has to upgrade his/her pc every two years? :"D

No contest there. But if you truly wanted all the bells and whistles of PC gaming, it would be much more costly.
Aaah yes, there are multiple people who have claimed that you can run every game with all the bells and whistles without upgrading... or are you actually attacking a strawman?

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I find PC gaming a lot more convenient. My PS4 Pro/One X have been collecting dust. I pretty much only buy console exclusives.

Oct 31, 2017
Nope. I like the ease and pick up and play nature of consoles but I also like the freedom and customization that comes with PC gaming.

I enjoy having both a gaming PC and consoles.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can you imagine spending hundreds of dollars on your platform of choice...

...only to be forced to spend hundreds more, after only two or three short years, just to keep up with modern standards?

That sounds awful. I think I'll just stick with my Playstation 4 Pro and my Xbox One X, thanks.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I've had buyers remorse when buying a few console games though, because I knew they'd be so much better on my PC.

Wound up trading them back in to get the better playing/looking PC versions.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
Can you imagine spending hundreds of dollars on your platform of choice...

...only to be forced to spend hundreds more, after only two or three short years, just to keep up with modern standards?

That sounds awful. I think I'll just stick with my Playstation 4 Pro and my Xbox One X, thanks.

This is sarcasm yes?

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
"and you probably have to do it every two years."

This is you not implying that one probably has to upgrade his/her pc every two years? :"D

Aaah yes, there are multiple people who have claimed that you can run every game with all the bells and whistles without upgrading... or are you actually attacking a strawman?

I normally avoid getting into lengthy discussions with people who repeatedly miss simple points, because it wastes my time and confuses the other party, but let's give it another try.

What exactly are you trying to prove? That PC gaming is cheaper (or similarly cheap) as console gaming? Because that's blatantly not true, current console gen is 6 years long at this point. If you just build a new rig with the launch of every console gen, not only will that alone cost you probably AT LEAST twice as much as buying the console, but you will be barely be able to play anything at decent settings and framerates by the end of the console gen. 2013 top GPU was 780ti with 3 GB DDR5, that's barely enough to play 6 months old The Division 2 at around 40 fps at 1080 with medium settings.
And ITT you have people say that PC gaming is better because it allows you to get higher details, better framerates and whatnot, and yes, it absolutely does, but for that, you need to upgrade at shorter intervals than you need to buy a new console, and at a higher price, too.

You really don't need to fight me on this, open up Google and Wikipedia, check launch prices and hw release dates and performance benchmarks. I'm not shitting on PC gaming, I've been a PC gamer since 1990s, but console cost of ownership is undeniably lower.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Mmmm, my 1660Ti alone cost as much as my PS4 Pro. My Ryzen processor + motherboard with the required socket and RAM type (because of course it's seldom as simple as replacing a single component with the PC) was the cost of a console again.
But sure, keep telling me how I'm making that shit up, I'm only putting together my own PCs for the past 20 years.
I've been playing PC regular since about the start of last gen when I built my first proper gaming rig back in 2009, and for me as long as I can run games higher than the consoles such fps/resolution etc., I'm happy, so price wise over the last 10 years it's hardly cost that much more.
That old build along with RAM and a couple GPU upgrades lasted me almost 10 years, all I did to transition to this gen was swap out the HD6870 to a GTX 760 for less than £100 and I was running current gen games either matching or running higher than a PS4.
End of last year I finally built a new rig and in total cost about £400, it's a Ryzen 2600 + 1060 6GB, which means it's a lot more powerful than a PS4 PRO and not much more in terms of cost.
One of the reasons I've stuck to PC gaming is price wise it's not much more for higher performance, but it's worth that little bit extra because mods, trainers, cheat engine, gamesaves etc., on top of the higher fps means the gameplay experience is so much superior and games have so much more replayability for me compared to consoles.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The problem I always had was the computer would just wake up randomly. I could never solve that problem. I turned off wake from LAN and did other stuff, but it would just randomly wake up at times so putting it to sleep just ended up not working and I ended up shutting it down instead. That flexibility that comes with PCs also comes with many more things that can go wrong which makes it harder to figure out what the solution is.
You've got it enabled to wake up from sleep to check for updates. You can disable that.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly confused by convenience anymore. PC at this point is plug and play, but with better services.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
cheaper games and in abundance. Pc gaming was the reason i stop gaming on consoles. I recently got back into console gaming cause of the Switch and being it offer a different experience compare to other consoles.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I've been playing PC regular since about the start of last gen when I built my first proper gaming rig back in 2009, and for me as long as I can run games higher than the consoles such fps/resolution etc., I'm happy, so price wise over the last 10 years it's hardly cost that much more.

Hm, okay, I see your point. YMMV, but for some reason, 30ish fps on PC+monitor bothers me, but 30 fps on console+TV is completely fine for me. I get that it's an individual thing, though.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Upgrading every two years is nonsense. I have a 5 year old gtx 980 build, it still runs new games at high/ultra with some medium settings at 1080p 60+ fps. Can usually dial it in for 1440p 60 too. 4k 30 is usually on the table as well.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I honestly have to call bullshit on anyone claiming that the PC is a pain in the ass. PC gaming has never been easier.

I used to be a console guy because of comfy couch. But now I actually prefer my desk, Gsync Ultrawide and chair. So much so that the consoles have been moved to my desk.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
My 1070 that I got in 2016 cost as much as my entire PS4 Pro, however my PC was under $900 for all the components and still blows every current console out of the water, I'd wager it will run games better than next gen consoles as well.

For a while, yeah. I mean my 1660ti still runs things at very high/ultra at 1080 with solid 60fps, but it also already doesn't support RTX. And that's a card I bought this spring for a current price of PS4 Pro.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I've basically given up on PC gaming. I sometimes think about jumping back to PC but it will probably never happen unless all console platform holders suddenly go crazy at the same time. Meaning something like $599 PS3, Xbox One DRM, and Wii U all in the same generation with nothing else to save the day.

TheInsider

Banned
Jun 9, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Platform warring over a series of posts
Would never 'game' on a pc again. Those days are gone. More enjoyment and convenience on a console - Sony/MS for the big screen, and Nintendo for portable.

Will leave the fucking around with keyboards, mice and settings to the pc peasants. They are more than welcome to them.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Would never 'game' on a pc again. Those days are gone. More enjoyment and convenience on a console - Sony/MS for the big screen, and Nintendo for portable.

Will leave the fucking around with keyboards, mice and settings to the pc peasants. They are more than welcome to them.
This "pc peasant" thanks you.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm definitely still on the fence about whether I'm OK with getting back into PC gaming or not.

On the one hand, the experience of playing on a good PC is amazing and I haven't even started games like Sekiro or Control because I just know that none of the current consoles can offer the 'best' experience for either of them.

On the other hand, my past gaming PCs for, the most part, were filled with frustration and (in the last case) I didn't even get to play for half a year before it crapped out on me. That and the fact that the console wars I've gotten over by owning all three consoles are now just an integral part of PC Gaming now (with the ongoing AMD vs. Nvidia war and the now-raging Steam vs. EGS war) makes it feel like more of a stress-filled option to me.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Finished Spec Ops: The Line on PC at 4K with 60 FPS on Ultra. I swear my PS3 version looked like a PS2 game. Thank god for PC. Consoles are now just for exclusives.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly have to call bullshit on anyone claiming that the PC is a pain in the ass. PC gaming has never been easier.

I used to be a console guy because of comfy couch. But now I actually prefer my desk, Gsync Ultrawide and chair. So much so that the consoles have been moved to my desk.
Yea, there was definitely a case for convenience at some point, but it's been a while since then. I can't even remember the last time a game took anything beyond downloading and clicking the play button. Even modding is just drag and dropping for the most part.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely still on the fence about whether I'm OK with getting back into PC gaming or not.

On the one hand, the experience of playing on a good PC is amazing and I haven't even started games like Sekiro or Control because I just know that none of the current consoles can offer the 'best' experience for either of them.

On the other hand, my past gaming PCs for, the most part, were filled with frustration and (in the last case) I didn't even get to play for half a year before it crapped out on me. That and the fact that the console wars I've gotten over by owning all three consoles are now just an integral part of PC Gaming now (with the ongoing AMD vs. Nvidia war and the now-raging Steam vs. EGS war) makes it feel like more of a stress-filled option to me.
You don't have to participate in either of those "wars." Anyone on any side can play any game.

I've been enjoying PC gaming for 11 years and I've never once felt even the smallest urge to post acrimoniously about GPU brands.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The amount of mental gymnastics and misinformation that goes on in this forum when it comes to PC gaming is so painful to read.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Was exclusively a pc gamer for quite a while but went back to console after realizing I just don't have the patience or even desire any more to sit at a desk with a mouse and keyboard or deal with the random problems here or there no matter how rare. The PC has amazing upsides but the few downsides outweighed them for me personally. Yea I could get a controller working for most games yea I could play with better performance most of the time yea most things just worked but when it doesn't it sucked. I will still always have some sort of pc for games but never again a $3000 machine like before and I upgraded nearly yearly.

OP
OP
SvennusDemonicus

SvennusDemonicus

alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
hook up a controller and use steam big picture
My pc is up two flights of stairs in the loft. I use moonlight app on my A1e Sony tv and it works good but it's still not ideal. Oh and I'm not saying pc gaming is difficult. It's really not and when I play on my pc all is well. The issue is the ability to play without causing issues with the wife :)

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Started PC gaming last year and had a bunch of annoyances that altogether really put me off the platform almost completely.

- Life is Strange wouldn't save the game and i can't find a solution online after hours of searching and troubleshooting.
- Doom 2016 would randomly have music not playing when I'm using headphones.
- Random invader corrupted my 50 hour Dark Souls save.
- SSD suddenly stopped working and i lost all my Steam downloads and saves. The IT guy blamed me for downloading weird software but I swear I did no such thing, it just randomly stopped working.

Most of the time, when i put my game in my consoles they just work.

Plum

May 31, 2018
You don't have to participate in either of those "wars." Anyone in any side can play any game.

I've been enjoying PC gaming for 11 years and I've never once felt even the smallest urge to post acrimoniously about GPU brands.

I know it sounds really weird but I do get hung up over this sort of stuff and I honestly don't know how to move past it. Like, I don't agree with how the monopolistic practices that Epic is using to gain control of the market and that fact has put me in the same camp as those who harass developers whether I want to be in it or not. Despite people's insistence, it's clear that the 'other' camp in some small sees my disagreement as supporting those people because, as is the case with any petty war in the nerd-sphere, you're part of 'a group' even if you're just one singular person with an opinion. That really stresses me out so actually buying a PC and having to deal with those 'wars' on a practical would make it even worse as I'll always have that nonsense in the back of my mind, and every announcement for a new PC game would come with the caveat of potentially having to fight another battle in the 'war', if that makes any sense.

And yeah, I do know this is all very silly and it's probably down to the fact that I spend too much time on hyper-aggressive forums like these but can you see the underlying anxieties there? Probably not lol but, yeah, there are underlying anxieties there :P