• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I did it with Ghost Recon Wildlands just to play the Predator event, the rest of the game was a bonus.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Brave Fencer Musashi so I could play FF8 demo. Practically everyone did at that time.

It was worth it on both counts.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
FF14, and I got so burned out I never even got to the Nier raid. Haven't touched the game in two years and I didn't even finish the second expansion.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Not completely the same but the obvious one is everyone bought ZOE to play the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo. Fortunately, ZOE was an amazing game so it all worked out for everyone.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
Type-0 for the ff15 demo

not a game but I also imported a special edition of Advent children that had either a ff13 trailer or demo on it. I can't even remember it was so long ago also a massive waste of money

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Division 2: Warlords of New York, I guess. I loved the first and played the beta for D2 and just wasn't feeling DC. When the expansion came out I bought the Warlords of New York pack and loved it.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I'm not sure if my case fits here but I've bought Grim Dawn and all its expansions just to play the Diablo 2 mod (Reign of Terror) and I loved it, no regrets. I still never touched GD main game lol.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
FF Type-0 to play the FFXV Demo, yeah... burned money.

Yeah I think this is the closest I've come to doing this. I was still interested in Type-0 or I wouldn't have bought it but the demo was strong encouragement to go in day 1. The lady at the EB Games even asked me if the demo was the only reason I was getting Type-0 so it must have been common.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017

I bought the base game plus DLC literally just to take the tour ride through the original film park. Worth it.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bought this for the toy.
6260477_sa.jpg

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
Not the same, but got Starlink only to play the Fox story. In the end, the game is really good, so happy surprise!

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Brave Fencer Musashi so I could play FF8 demo. Practically everyone did at that time.
Following in the grand tradition of buying Tobal #1 just to get the FFVII demo.

Not everybody did that though, since FF didn't blow up outside Japan until after FFVII released in NA over a year after the demo.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Does the DayZ mod in ArmA 2 count? If so, that.

And then I ended up liking ArmA in general and even bought ArmA 3.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I bought Tekken 7 just so I could play as Noctis and Negan. And in a similar vein, as a kid, I became interested in (and later rented and bought) Soulcalibur II because the GameCube version had Link.

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
Ut20CN4.png

I bought Dead By Daylight then paid $7 extra so I could play Pyramid Head in it. I have no excuses. Licensing my Silent Hill starvation works (unless it's a pachinko game).

I'll probably pay another $7 at some point so I can play the Demogorgon from Stranger Things.

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
I've definitely bought base games a second time because they included an expansion and was cheaper than buying just the expansion. Destiny 1 and the first expansion did this and it pissed me off.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Ut20CN4.png

I bought Dead By Daylight then paid $7 extra so I could play Pyramid Head in it. I have no excuses. Licensing my Silent Hill starvation works (unless it's a pachinko game).

I'll probably pay another $7 at some point so I can play the Demogorgon from Stranger Things.

While I already had the game from PS+, I think this still fits the bill. Had no interest in playing DBD until this was added and now I rather enjoy it.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've done this several times. I got Starlink for the Starfox content, Skylanders SuperChargers for Bowser and Donkey Kong, Codename STEAM for the FE Amiibo support, decided to get Kirby Star Allies after the first batch of Dream Friends were revealed (Marx, Gooey, Animal trio). I got Blaster Master Zero due to the reveal of the Gunvolt mode DLC...

Also, not quite the same thing, but for mobile gacha games what tipped me over to jump into King of Fighters Allstar was the Gintama collaboration.