• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I think the super accessible nature of dating apps has made them mostly a way to pass the time while people go about their lives. It's like buying a ticket into the lottery. You don't expect anything out of it, but it's low effort and there's the hope of hitting the jackpot and landing a big fish. In the mean time, you get compliments and flirt with people you would never actually consider meeting, but are entertaining enough to chat with for your own amusement. This might be a really cynical way to look at online dating, but as someone who has been around in it for several years I feel like it's pretty accurate. The large majority of people on there just want to see if they can land a huge catch easily, but not at the expense of lots of effort and time. Those who make an effort either burn out from lack of success or the sheer amount of shit they have to wade through, or get lucky, find someone similar and are off the market quickly. And that isn't counting the many, many, many profiles that are only there to advertise sets of nude photos for girls trying to make quick cash or selling prostitution under the guise of legitimate dating. I feel like this was always going to be the endgame of online dating as it exists now, but while I know this is just human nature at work finding new ways to use existing tools, it is hard not to let my growing misanthropy tinge my view of the online dating scene.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Dating apps are still a super convenient way to meet friends,go on dates or start a serious relationship.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Nah I still use to hook up and date normal women with it. Hinge is the best imo

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it's still super easy to meet cool people, regardless of what you're looking for.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all, countless people have met romantic partners on dating sites/apps for anything from casual sex to marriage and kids. Many also form platonic friendships.

Seems like a very cynical view to state it's all about ego boosting or sex work, not that there's anything wrong with either.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Become? Lmfao

Seriously tho, they're a tool. It's possible to find what you want on it. It's a numbers game šŸ‘

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I imagine location has something to do with it, but if you use them properly, you'll meet great people. Apps like Tinder aren't that different to meeting in a bar; you just know if there's mutual attraction before breaking the ice. Apps like OKCupid reward effort, and do a decent job of filtering out people who aren't that serious.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That seems like the dumbest and sketchiest way to go about prostitution with the highest chance of getting arrested. Not to say folks haven't done/tried it but I'd be willing to bet it's the VAST minority lol.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
That seems like the dumbest and sketchiest way to go about prostitution with the highest chance of getting arrested. Not to say folks haven't done/tried it but I'd be willing to bet it's the VAST minority lol.
I would have agreed with you a few years ago

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been nothing but a de-motivator and ego deflator for me. The gender imbalance on those sites makes it difficult to get a response from more than 1 out of 10 women, and even more difficult to hold their attention through messaging.

I imagine there's some significant portion of women that just use it to get LIKES and compliments, but as an average-looking guy it's almost a shock how cold and indifferent that community tends to be.

Oct 27, 2017
I had amazing success with Bumble two years ago. Met lots of ladies and I'm still with the same amazing girl two years later. But single friends of mine have shown me examples of both Tinder and Grindr (at least for certain types) are all bots looking for them to sign up for something, or asking for "gifts" and "flowers". We were on a ski trip a while back and two of the guys were Tindering getting the exact same word-for-word responses from every "girl" they matched with. I suppose it depends on the service but the hook-up apps are filled with fakes.

Glad I got out when I did it seems like nonsense.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Maybe it's YMMV, but in my experience it's a pretty small minority of people on dating apps who are looking for casual sex (granted, I don't seek straight men) and no one for sex work. Looking for platonic friends seems to be more common than hookups. Ego boost it's hard to say but I doubt it's the case for many people.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. Met my current incredible girlfriend on Tinder. It's all about how you use it.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
They are just a tool to meet new people. It can be anything from a casual hookup, a romantic relationship, or just to meet new people. I imagine a big part of it depends on the service your using and how you use it.

In my personal experience with dating apps I've met a few cool people. While none of them turned into a relationship, I remained good friends with them and hang out regularly as friends. Pretty sure I have more female friends than guy friends at this point.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Those who make an effort either burn out from lack of success or the sheer amount of shit they have to wade through, or get lucky, find someone similar and are off the market quickly.
No. I was on the apps for a few years and made a serious effort until I met my current significant other. I think you get out of them what you put in. I worked hard to meet someone, had some fun along the way, and am now very happy with who I ended up with. We've been living together for a year and I really do think she's my soul mate.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Become? Lmfao

Seriously tho, they're a tool. It's possible to find what you want on it. It's a numbers game šŸ‘
Agreed. I went out with like a hundred people or so on first dates (honestly no exaggeration, probably triple digits) before meeting my gal. It's definitely a numbers thing and you're much more likely to have luck in a big city (like NYC in my case).

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
It depends on what app you're using and where you are. If you're mismatched for what you're looking for (as different apps draw different people in different places). You can feel swamped with bots and/or sex workers if you're fishing in the wrong pond or with the wrong bait.

Nov 17, 2017
There are definitely people who use dating apps as an ego boost and entertainment. You can easily tell who these people are if you interact with them on the app. That's not all there is though. There's also bots.

But seriously, people definitely still use dating apps to, well, date but it definitely can seem like there aren't if you aren't lucky enough to be the type of person who these apps work for. I think that's a thing people often overlook, depending on the app and your location, you just might not be suited for the app and it will be an uphill battle.
Also expect your perspective to skew when apps like Tinder put you in what's essentially a tier where you aren't even being shown most people on the app.

Jadentheman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the super accessible nature of dating apps has made them mostly a way to pass the time while people go about their lives. It's like buying a ticket into the lottery. You don't expect anything out of it, but it's low effort and there's the hope of hitting the jackpot and landing a big fish. In the mean time, you get compliments and flirt with people you would never actually consider meeting, but are entertaining enough to chat with for your own amusement. This might be a really cynical way to look at online dating, but as someone who has been around in it for several years I feel like it's pretty accurate. The large majority of people on there just want to see if they can land a huge catch easily, but not at the expense of lots of effort and time. Those who make an effort either burn out from lack of success or the sheer amount of shit they have to wade through, or get lucky, find someone similar and are off the market quickly. And that isn't counting the many, many, many profiles that are only there to advertise sets of nude photos for girls trying to make quick cash or selling prostitution under the guise of legitimate dating. I feel like this was always going to be the endgame of online dating as it exists now, but while I know this is just human nature at work finding new ways to use existing tools, it is hard not to let my growing misanthropy tinge my view of the online dating scene.

That's an issue with free apps and websites. Start charging to even use the service (no free edition at all) and you'll only get serious people, but no one wants to pay $60-200 a year playing games. This applies to both pure dating, hookup, or both sites/apps

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
Yes! I have middling success with other apps but I seem to be killing on Hinge. God knows why
I had it installed for like 30 mins once and deleted it. Maybe I should try it I guess, my friend in WA is telling me her friends like to use that one

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've only gotten messaged by a couple people that seemed like genuine prostitutes. One of them said in their profile that they were "Drug and disease free", which seems like an odd thing to mention unless you are a sex worker.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
It's a mix of everything, still. Though, the amount of venmo and cashapp ids appearing now in profiles are super cringy.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Met my gf on dating apps, they work, you just have to put some genuine effort into it. Go take professional shots, or at least have friends help you take good shots. Hit the gym and get in decent shape. Have someone of the sex you're trying to get with review your profile and tell you if it's creepy boring, or whatever. This shit is work if you want it to actually work. That hot girl probably put some work into well, looking hot lol.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
They can be rough as a guy if you're not strikingly attractive and/or tall and don't understand the meta of how to sell yourself. It's basically date window shopping.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
For me dating apps are something I check in on every couple months, click the star button a couple times and say "well, I tried."

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I feel like dating sites have given people more options and chances to chat with others, while also making them more shallow as a result. It can be an ego boost or the exact opposite based on things like looks, ambition, money, or even orientation/gender.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
Met my gf on Tinder last year, shit works. A lot of fake accounts and bots around but easy to spot.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Never had the slightest amount of luck on these apps. Yet again, they're not for everyone. I'm very short so that doesn't help either.

They're still good to meet people of you're average or above average looking though, I guess. Although I wouldn't know.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Eh, my girlfriend is from Tinder and I had a ton of dates / met a lot of cool people through the app. Never met a sex worker though Lmao

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Honestly I use dating apps pretty frequently and I haven't run into any of the stuff your describing often if at all lol. I don't get matched with bots somehow and outside of one dominatrix advertising herself I haven't seen anyone selling themselves for sex. Who knows though maybe I'm not in the right age range to see those kinds of profiles.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not skeptical to that point yet but I am skeptical of mobile dating apps in general frankly speaking. I used it about a year ago and put a lot of effort into it and didn't have a single match. Then I started to indiscriminately start swiping yes to every woman to see if I was being picky and still not a single match. Pretty much crushed my self-esteem in dating. If I wasn't self aware of my strengths and value I'm pretty sure I would be majorly depressed. The experience definitely traumatized me and left scars so I simply don't trust them. I can imagine people who have had bad experiences having this perspective tho.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Dating apps are the worst . :/ They kill your self esteem.
Definitely don't go on dating apps if you have low self esteem. Gotta be mentally ready for ghosting and rejections and not to overly emotionally invest. Otherwise, they're great for meeting all kinds of people, do new activities you would never by yourself, and have fun conversations.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I have far more success getting dates in person than on dating apps, but I'm trying them anyway. I find I have more success on Bumble than I do on Tinder. I get like, zero matches on Tinder. I get matches here and there on Bumble.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
dating apps are great. they give underpriviledged folks safety and it shows just how vile a bunch of men can be when faced with rejection. i love it

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

i met my asian gf on tinder. Together now for one year soon. We are getting married in september

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Getting married after a one-year relationship???

We both have the same background and we both were about to say "Stay single now". Then we met each other by accident because we were bored. I dont want to waste my time and she doesnt want to waste her time too. We are both old and we both still want kids. She will be 35 next year... and after that she loses the ability to get kids slowly.

And she is first girlfriend that met and is in contact with my female friend that i know for over 20 years. It was also the first girlfriend that i brought home family on christmas and everybody loved her.

Last edited: