• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
My mom, whom I haven't seen in years came to visit and mentioned that my 9 yr old nephew, whom I've never met, my sisters kid, who I have no contact with was dying for a gaming system. I had my new nintendo 3ds and a ton of games laying around, I prefer my switch.

Since i haven't touched my 3ds In years i gifted it to my nephew, but my sister is a wierd culty vegan hippie and this will definitely make me the devil but what the hey! Kids gotta game!

Anyone else gift a shitload of games to quasi relatives for free?

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I used to give all my old systems that I had no use for to my godsister all the time. Her parents did mind because it saved them money. Gave her a GBA SP, a DS Lite, and a New 3DS.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've gifted 3 Nintendo Switches, a Wii U, and 3 PS4s over the last few years.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
A WiiU to a friend's son when I bought mine.

It was really for him let's be real lol

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Once gave my cousin one of my spare PS2s I got from a matrix site. I also got his sister a PSP for Christmas a few years ago.

Coverly

Oct 28, 2017
a gamecube to my cousins so they could play 4-player mario kart on a 12-inch-ish crt a long time ago. It was pretty funny trying to play it, you couldn't see anything. Last year I got them the switch with mario kart (black friday) so we can play together but now that we're much older it's hard to find time to play. Still for that weekend it was like old times.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
An Xbox One to my younger half brother & sister (we live quite far away so I rarely see them) for Christmas a couple of years back. I was thinking of a Switch Lite this year but I decided to just go ham on Lego.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I gave away my PS1 + some games when I bought a PS2.
Still regret that to this day though, I kept all my consoles I ever owned and the PS1 is the only one that's missing...

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
I gave my PS3 to my brother in law years ago. More recently, I bought my 10-year-old niece a new Switch. She broke the kickstand almost immediately but she loves it.

Oct 28, 2017
New Zealand
I once won a PS1 by playing in a Tekken 2 tournament at a local game store (sponsored by a radio station). I gifted that to my siblings for Christmas.
A few years later I won a PS2 off the radio, and I gifted that to my siblings for Christmas too since I already had bought one a few months earlier.
I also won a PSP off a gaming site. Gave that to my siblings too.
I gave my nephew my Vita since i wasn't using it. And I gave my launch XBox One to my nephew when I bought the XB1X upon release.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Actually gifting one this year to my new brother-in-law. His parents died at an early age and he never had any money as he and his older brother grew up alone in a bad part of town. Always wanted to play the classics (which to him was Mario/Zelda) as thats all he knows so hes getting a Switch from me this Xmas.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yeah a few times, I got my brother a ps4 for Christmas launch year and my sister an Xbox one a couple years in.

Whats insane is that my brother was unhappy bexcuse his friends got Xboxs but he didn't want to tell me because it would make him seem ungrateful but i found out through my dad, he traded it for an Xbox then like early 2018 all of his friends moved to ps4 at the same time so he ended up getting a ps4 in the end anyway.

This year I bought my brother a switch for Xmas and a couple months ago I gave my sister my launch switch and got myself a lite.

Next year I'm gonna get both the Scarlett and PS5 for myself but if I have enough to get them both a system for Xmas I will. We'll see.

Nov 4, 2017
I have given away most of my consoles. I gave my OG Gameboy and Tetris to my aunt because she loves Tetris. She still has it and it works. Gave a GBA and all my GBA + DS games to my cousin's kids. Gave my GC to a dude who was dying of cancer so he had a shitload of time stuck at home on the couch.

In some ways I kind of regret it, as some of the systems and games are quite valuable now. It also would have been nice for my daughter to experience these things. Buuuuut in reality those items would just be sitting in a box gathering dust now, so I'm glad they got used and made other people happy.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Bought a Switch with BOTW for my best friend as a wedding gift. Bought my younger brother 12 months of Xbox Game Pass for Xmas last year since he works a minimum wage job and struggles with spare cash. But then he sold his Xbox 3 months later to fund his weed addiction so no way I'm doing that again this year =P

I have offered to build him and his family (two kids and a wife) a PC since I have enough spare parts after my new build to pretty much create a whole new PC. Still worried he will sell that within a year but I've stressed the point his kids will need one for homework soon (ages 7 and 5) so fingers crossed this one lasts...

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
I gave my 360 and about 40 games to my little cousins before i moved overseas once years ago. To say they were stoked was an understatement lol.

I saw the state of the discs a few years later and damn..i doubt they still worked mostly. Kids really dont look after things.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, got my girlfriend a Switch last year. She ended up getting one for her younger brother. They're thinking of getting a Lite for their Dad (he likes mobile games, we think there are Switch games he just might enjoy).

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Yeah, used to purchase most of my nephew systems until he became old enough to get a job.

I also give my dad my old consoles at the end of a generation, also just bought him a new gaming PC for Xmas as the last one I gave him was getting outdated.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
I work in a hospital.

When the generation changed I gave my 360 and ps3 the paeds ward at work.
Did the same when I swapped my xbox for a one x and ps4 for a pro.

Will probably do the same again when I get a Scarlett.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
When I was working at Zipper Interactive on M.A.G. I was maybe 5 months in on the job; was getting the hang of the engine and really starting to make a name for myself among the team. Speaking to my lead I heard him mention they'd need to hire more level architect artists like myself. I mentioned a really great friend of mine that had been my lead at Nintendo when we worked on Metroid for the DS. My boss at Zipper asked about him and thought the name sounded familiar. Turns out they had interviewed him for the spot I had taken, because they decided to pass on him. I guess he didn't have a solid interview and they had decided to continue looking at more candidates. I was surprised by their decision, and then I told them he's probably one of the most talented level artists I know; and what he lacked in interviewing skills he more than made up for in his level designing and artistic ability.
They reconsidered and gave him another interview. With some pointers I provided and a better updated and presented portfolio, they hired him!

His first day on the job he insisted he take me to lunch to say thank you for getting him in for the second chance interview. We had a great lunch and caught up since we hadn't seen each other for a year or so. He told me about the awful crunch he had endured at Airtight games working on Dark Void. He was so happy to be away from that game and onto something like M.A.G. - he also said he had received a pretty substantial boost in pay with his new job coming to Sony. He thought the door was closed at Zipper and he knew my recommendation really gave him a second shot at it.
We get back from lunch and we're getting out of his car- he says, "oh hold up a sec, I just need to grab something from the back"....next thing I know he hands me a brand new Metal Gear Solid 4 edition (Fatty bw compatible) PS3!!! He holds it out and says "here". "I was like cool man!!! Ya picked one of these up!? You gonna put it in your office?" "....no dude, it's yours!" I was dumbfounded, gobsmacked, speechless, I couldn't believe the gesture, nor the fact that those systems were almost $700 dollars at the time. I told him it was too much, that he didn't have to; he wouldn't take it back and said he was on a lot better career path, and he was in love with the idea of M.A.G. - and was excited to be working together again.
Probably one of the best gifts I had ever received, and we had a blast working together, and later playing M.A.G. when it released; as well as many late nights playing Uncharted 2 multiplayer together. Such a great chapter of my life. Miss that guy, he's over at 343 now tearing it up on Halo Infinite. I should try and meet up for lunch, it's been too long.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I gave away my PS1 when I got a PS2 and I gave away an extra GBC I had. Gave some games away with each. This is when I was a kid. Wish I hadn't done it lol

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Well kind of, Germany is PC land and in my group of friends we had someone who always just had a pretty crappy laptop so a few years ago everyone of us donated some parts when another friend was upgrading and had a meetup to build those two PCs. My friend whom we gifted the PC to was present too and very confused on why we were building two systems. I'll never forget the look on his face when we were done at like 3am and told him: "Oh yeah and this second PC you have been wondering about, that's yours!" He couldn't believe we weren't trolling him for 15 minutes straight! :D

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got my pal an Xbox One in 2015 so we could play some co op games, but we never ended up doing that really. But it worked out because she's been burning through tons of Gamepass games all year since her laptop doesn't run most modern 3D games very well

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I bought my step-sister a Switch and the whole family loves it. It reminds me of the joy people who weren't really gamers found when the Wii launched in 2006.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I won a 3DS from one of those rigged arcade machines while waiting for a movie and ended up giving it to a friend since I already had one myself.

This was pretty close to launch, too. Before KH3D released at least.

Jun 14, 2018
Yeah, a PS4 a few years back. My girlfriend at the time convinced me to go halves with her and get the Uncharted 4 LE PS4, and after that I simply gifted my old one to my sisters. We broke up just under a year later and I had no system after that. Decided it was the perfect time to grab a Pro.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I usually gift my old systems away tom family members ( PS3, PS4 OG) also old GPU'S stuff like that

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I've gifted PS2, PS3 and base PS4 every time I upgraded.
Will likely do the same with my Pro and X One around this time next year.

Oct 25, 2017
I gave my distant cousins my old wii two years ago. Does that count?
Not sure if he uses it, I barely speak with him though.

Oct 31, 2017
I bought a Switch at launch with BotW for my brother and two of my friends. I had to share that joy with them. I bought my mother a 3DS before for...I can't remember the game now but she loved it.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Nieces / nephews portable systems, a broke cousin a switch, chipped in for an Xbox One for a guy on a forum who got blasted with a shotgun, and bought my wife a couple of special editions as gifts.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
My sister used to watch me play Oblivion and Skyrim on my 360. So I gifted her a PS3 Slim along with Oblivion and Skyrim.........lol.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My mom, whom I haven't seen in years came to visit and mentioned that my 9 yr old nephew, whom I've never met, my sisters kid, who I have no contact with was dying for a gaming system. I had my new nintendo 3ds and a ton of games laying around, I prefer my switch.

Since i haven't touched my 3ds In years i gifted it to my nephew, but my sister is a wierd culty vegan hippie and this will definitely make me the devil but what the hey! Kids gotta game!

Anyone else gift a shitload of games to quasi relatives for free?

You haven't met them at all yet in 9 years?

You are the best uncle they don't know :)

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've gifted a gaming PC to my stepbrother, a SNES Classic to someone here on Era a few years back, and a few 3DS consoles

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, MrsBS has got a few consoles from me, brother got some gear too.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Gave my ex a 3DS with Pokemon OR for christmas a few years ago, she sold it in January and bought a bunch of workout supplements from a shady guy at the gym we used to go.

Months later and after breaking up with her i learned from a mutual acquaintance that she ended up getting kidney stones and had to be hospitalized.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Bought a new 3DS to a friend to replace the one he lost, and 2 of my older 3DS systems went to kids. I don't intend to really do that anymore though, as both ended up broken or lost within the year, leading me to believe there's probably better, cheaper gifts to give younger kids (8-10.)