• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
If Sony had come out and revealed the 14tflop monster that some rumors suggested would we still see a huge outpouring of devs saying teraflops don't matter?
In some alternate universe PS5 is 14 TF. Wish I could peer into that window and see the reactions from devs and forum posters.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the XSX needs the damage control.
dead2.gif

CarbonCrush

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of devs clearly damage controlling for PS5 because Sony is the market leader and they want to ensure it does well. Understandable but it still looks funny.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Developers wouldn't even need to share their thoughts in such a manner if Sony had done a Show and Tell instead of just a Tell. But I'm sure we can agree to lay the blame for that misstep at Sony's feet, right?

A show wouldn't have changed much, besides more people talking about how awesome or not the awesome the games looked.

I think some devs, journos etc being excited about the system and any boundary pushing elements vs the current gen were par for the course.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
This. MS has been incredibly clear with their presentation of the XSX, and it's stronger than their competitors machine.

Devs are commenting on the PS5 because:
-Sony had a poor spec reveal yesterday
-Fanboys are acting like the ps5 is a weak machine overall simply because it isn't as strong as the XSX
-They work for Sony.

Am I doing it right?

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
This place is going to be hell for the rest of the year. you guys should take a look at yourselves gleefully showing your console warrior asses.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
A show wouldn't have changed much, besides more people talking about how awesome or not the awesome the games looked.

I think some devs, journos etc being excited about the system and any boundary pushing elements vs the current gen were par for the course.
I'm not even talking about games. I mean demonstrating system features visually, as Microsoft did for Eurogamer. I mean, Sony had a partnership in place with Wired. Why not continue the partnership with some basic demonstrations for a write up/video? It's baffling.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
-They work for Sony.

Am I doing it right?

Several of them don't. And obviously JSchreier and John etc don't either.

It's amusing how one day DF, Jason etc are seen as anti Sony, and the next pro Sony or anti Xbox. It can't possibly be because they're just excited by the tech and are parsing on what they've heard from developers who are actually using the systems.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not even talking about games. I mean demonstrating system features visually, as Microsoft did for Eurogamer. I mean, Sony had a partnership in place with Wired. Why not continue the partnership with some basic demonstrations for a write up/video? It's baffling.

Oh right, yes I see what you mean. I think that stuff will come later, and ultimately they'll let the games do the talking.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
No. But nice try? What point are you trying to make here? Or, what specifically do you not agree with in my post?

I was just joking. Obviously they don't all work for Sony.

Microsoft has also had first party devs talk about the Xbox One X.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Xbox Series X will have a dedicated audio chip, Ninja Theory engineers reveal | VGC

Hardware acceleration could enable 3D…

"Xbox studio Ninja Theory's audio team told VGC they were 'extremely excited' to finally have hardware power dedicated to their discipline.

Series X's dedicated audio chip will mean they no longer have to sacrifice sound in order to facilitate other parts of their projects, they said.

"It's extremely exciting," senior sound designer Daniele Galante said of the new console. "We're going to have a dedicated chip to work with audio, which means we finally won't have to fight with programmers and artists for memory and CPU power."

The studio's audio lead David Garcia added: "We take for granted that graphics are powered by their own video cards. But in audio, we haven't had anything like that. Now we have some power dedicated to us."

Microsoft had previously suggested the new console could have some form of audio hardware acceleration, via a talk description that was planned to happen at GDC later this month.

Microsoft's commitment to audio could come in response to Sony's own lofty plans, which started with the acquisition of Audiokinetic, who make the audio middleware used almost universally across triple-A games.

Sony has already announced that the PlayStation 5 will support 3D audio, a feature which built-in hardware acceleration would also enable for Xbox.

3D audio utilises binaural rendering to simulate sounds 'travelling' from one ear to the next, creating the illusion of realistic 3D sound. Crucially, 3D audio only works effectively with headphones, so it's more suited for VR gaming where immersion is crucial and headphone use virtually guaranteed..

A Microsoft engineer has also recently suggested that Xbox Series X would be able to support a form of audio ray tracing. Like visual ray tracing, the audio form is incredibly expensive in terms of power and likely wouldn't be possible without some form of hardware acceleration."

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I don't think the XSX needs the damage control.

We've had two "which system are you more interested in/going to buy" polls since Cerny spoke. Have a look at the results.

www.resetera.com

As of now, which next gen console are you most interested in now.

First of all, please don’t let the thread become another place for people to engage in console wars. Even disguised as a “tech enthusiast discussion”. It’s just embarrassing. Both will certainly do well and your favorite company will live on and release great stuff. Now I really want to hear...

www.resetera.com

XBSX and PS5 specs have been revealed Which console will you purchase at launch? Poll!

Now that we've arrived at a point where enough knowledge is out there about both machines to make an informed decision, which console are you picking up at launch or otherwise? Multi console purchase is obviously a valid response hence the poll choice. Spec comparison courtesy of IGN...

I've never seen a company in need of this much damage control.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
The amateur misstep was assuming "a deep dive on the architecture of the PS5" was anything other than a deep dive on the architecture of the PS5
the amateur misstep is playstation, for some reason, promoting it on their social media as if it was something that the average consumer should watch, which it wasnt.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
The amateur misstep was assuming "a deep dive on the architecture of the PS5" was anything other than a deep dive on the architecture of the PS5
Maybe Sony should have been more clear on their messaging. Right now its as clear as mud at the moment. Communication is something Sony has been lacking for quite a while now.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
We are reaching peak fanboy pettiness now

Pretty much. A reminder that for some convincing others they shouldn't buy or enjoy a certain piece of entertainment is serious business. Only a fool would not make the same choice as I for their machine! And I must tell them of their foolishness more than once!

Next gen is always the best of times and the worst of times. I'm ready to see some games. Put the next gears or horizon in these eyes!

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

Come on, read what I wrote again. The OG tweet is shared on their main social network channel. Why share something so technical when most of their base won't get it.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
We've had two "which system are you more interested in/going to buy" polls since Cerny spoke. Have a look at the results.

www.resetera.com

First of all, please don’t let the thread become another place for people to engage in console wars. Even disguised as a “tech enthusiast discussion”. It’s just embarrassing. Both will certainly do well and your favorite company will live on and release great stuff. Now I really want to hear...

www.resetera.com

XBSX and PS5 specs have been revealed Which console will you purchase at launch? Poll!

Now that we've arrived at a point where enough knowledge is out there about both machines to make an informed decision, which console are you picking up at launch or otherwise? Multi console purchase is obviously a valid response hence the poll choice. Spec comparison courtesy of IGN...

Damage control doesn't mean you're not popular anymore.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
People shouldn't compare Sony's GDC talk (that they probably shouldn't have shared the way they did) to Microsoft's more demographic oriented presentation.

Console warriors should wait till we actually get gameplay videos.

Aug 9, 2018
Developers wouldn't even need to share their thoughts in such a manner if Sony had done a Show and Tell instead of just a Tell. But I'm sure we can agree to lay the blame for that misstep at Sony's feet, right?
Imagine if that misstep was intentional so that those developers would be forced to do exactly just that? Brilliant wouldn't you say?
I'm kidding if that wasn't obvious.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
In the "damage control" manner?

Sony failed to mention that their deep dive was primarily aimed at devs. That was amateur misstep.

An "amateur misstep"? This is the tweet they put out to hype people

twitter.com

PlayStation on Twitter

“Tomorrow at 9am Pacific Time, PS5 lead system architect Mark Cerny will provide a deep dive into PS5’s system architecture, and how it will shape the future of games. Watch tomorrow at PlayStation Blog: https://t.co/bgP1rXMeC8”

Only after the reaction am I seeing some people say, this was meant for devs only.

Go look at this thread, nary a mention of this being for devs, people had expectations.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/playstation-mark-cerny-will-provide-a-deep-dive-into-ps5's-system-architecture-tomorrow-at-9am-pt.175561/

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

đź‘€

Status
Not open for further replies.