• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's clearly a lot of biased by the way these bullet points are phrased.

Like, how many writers have talked about writing what you feel is right and not letting all the noise get to you? Usually this is seen as a good thing but the way the bullet point is phrased, you'd think D&D were Hitler.

This whole thing just feels like more bullshit for the hate circle jerk.

Yeah, these bullet points sound like BS.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why would they do this?
Because they have a career to consider but they can't show their faces anywhere major yet so they're gonna keep showing up at random and disappearing just as quickly so the fans can't catch them. It's like if Carmen Sandiego had a 9 to 5.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Move on people, jesus. There are other shows to watch. It's just TV.

Misquoting and/or grabbing quotes out of context to suit an agenda is pretty pathetic. The "too feminine" complete butchering of what was actually said invalidates the entire summary.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
  • There was no writers room. When confronted with why there weren't POC or women writers, they claim Dave Hill is asian

I assume Dave Hill is part Asian, and the person who was writing this up just doesn't want to acknowledge that part of his identity so that they can push an agenda?

As someone who is also part Asian, I find that pretty obnoxious.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I assume Dave Hill is part Asian, and the person who was writing this up just doesn't want to acknowledge that part of his identity so that they can push an agenda?

As someone who is also part Asian, I find that pretty obnoxious.
He wasn't described as Asian at the panel. They accurately described him as being "of Asian descent".

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
There's a 0% chance these bulletin points weren't written by someone super salty, twisting every single thing to be as negative as possible. It's almost comical.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Fuck this thread title and tone of the whole thing.

Good job perpetuating a thoroughly toxic fandom.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this list of bullet points is trash, like holy fuck. I have no doubt these guys are hacks, but this list is so editorialized as to be comically worthless.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
"We literally didn't understand the story or themes or characters, didn't have a concept for the series beyond the pilot, didn't know what we were doing while making the show, didn't care about criticism, and didn't even get help with the writing in spite of all of this."

"Here's three Star Wars."

Read episode IX leaks and you'll see they fit right at home.

Oct 25, 2019
I feel like this list of bullet points is harmful to the conversation, as it seems like its been typed up in a hurry somehow? It's so open to interpretation that anyone can pick what they want from it and decide that's the truth.

I had a quick google search but came up empty, is there any video of this somewhere?

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Those bullet points reek of shit-stirring agenda. I mean, I think D&D are hacks, too, but there is zero chance they just plainly said all that shit on stage.

flare

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
  • They specifically took out fantasy elements whenever possible, they didn't want to pander to that kind of fan. Implies fantasy is 'too feminine'
  • There was no writers room. When confronted with why there weren't POC or women writers, they claim Dave Hill is asian
  • They admit no attempt was made to understand the elements of the series. 'Was too big'.

Wha- I can't even right now.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, whoever wrote up those bullet points needs to chill out.

Policing the identities and experiences of mixed race people isn't cool.

If Hill is of Asian decent and identifies with that part and brings that perspective to the writers room, I truly apologize. I just thought it was more likely that D&D was exaggerating his Asian heritage to deflect criticism.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Well without more information, I think there is a more likely chance that he does not identify as Asian but has some Asian familial relationship that D&D are exaggerating to deflect criticism. I could not find much information about Hill. Maybe I'm wrong but given D&D's history, I doubt it.

D&D are probably in a better position to know him than you, aren't they? Trying to intuit this guy's cultural background, the type of household he grew up in, what traditions he learned from his parents, where his family resides, what kind of biases he's faced in his life, etc. based on his appearance is a great way to make a bad assumption and come off as a jerk.

Everyone's experience is a little different, and that's especially true for mixed race people who often don't fit cleanly onto a single societal template. If you don't know anything about him, I'd discourage making assumptions.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
there was never gonna be a "happy ending" in game of thrones.

I was always on team daenerys, but the writing was on the wall.
anyone who chases the iron throne will end up corrupted by it.

the whole show is about charismatic, well meaning characters recieving a tragic end. and the ending we got fit the mold perfectly.
the only problem was that it was rushed as hell.

the only thing I would've changed was to have jon die at the end too.

Pretty much.

War is the great corrupter as is chasing after the Iron Throne. Daenerys got hit with it as bad as Stannis.
I thought season 8 was ok. I am genuinely bewilder by this whole shitstorm.

Yes I watched since season 1. I just don't understand this absolute outpouring of hatred; so fucking weird to me. I mean people enjoyed this show for 6-7 years? It did a lot to move the fantasy genre into the mainstream and changed the shape of television and yet these guys are evil, racist, hacks now?... good grief.

It subverted their expectations too hard.

It's a combination of GRRM being an extremely niche writer whose works were never meant for mass appeal and has a history of doing unconventional endings + Benioff and Weiss rushing through some material and being a bit clumsy on execution + viewers feeling fooled about what type of story they were watching + the source material being unfinished + a huge fan community that's been huge on theory crafting for decades now and seeing the show jettison a good chunk of them made them mad

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
lol, the vast majority of the things you listed seem totally fine except the writers room thing.

i mean its clear from the way you listed them you think they're a bad thing, but i think your readings of these statements are mostly in bad faith or just incredibly entrenched in specific shit you dislike about the show's approach to adapting stuff.

Like, letting actors bring themselves to their character is extremely normal across all productions that involve actors... but here its significant because yall are laser focused on everything about divergences from the source material.

its kind of exhausting.

it's kinda transcending the idea of making any coherent point and instead becoming a thing about building up more and more resentment through any small detail that comes out.

show's over, folks. literally.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I mean, I don't even know.

D&D are the grandest of hacks, I hate calling people hacks because you gotta have talent for the things you create but they really are hacks, they really are.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The framing of the OP seems like it's not leading to good discussion, so the thread is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.