• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
fksjzo5v31wgnruvkink.jpg

Micro Machines were originally released way back in 1987 by Galoob and took the idea first introduced by Mattel's Hot Wheels one step further. Kids could collect and race all of their favorite cars on the cheap, but Micro Machines vehicles were even smaller than Hot Wheels, allowing entire playsets to be squeezed and smuggled inside a pocket. The line was probably best known for its use of the fast-talking John Moschitta Jr. in its toy commercials, but the popularity of the tiny vehicles eventually faded. Galoob was purchased by Hasbro in 1998, and Micro Machines mostly disappeared from toy shelves well over a decade ago.

For 2020, Hasbro is working with Wicked Cool Toys (who was recently acquired by Jazwares) to revive the brand, and while images of the new Micro Machines vehicles themselves aren't available yet, today we have an exclusive reveal at one of the new Micro Machines playsets that will be available later in the Fall. Fans of the original toy line will undoubtedly be familiar with the original Micro Machines Super Van City which featured an entire miniature metropolis that could be folded up and hidden inside a larger Airstream-inspired motorhome.

The new Super Van City will sell for $50 when available later this year, and in addition to connecting to other soon-to-be-revealed-at-Toy Fair 2020 playsets in the revived Micro Machines line, it will also come with three exclusive Micro Machines vehicles, with additional details forthcoming.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
omg. My parents had saved a bunch of toys of mine and some of them were MicroMachines, i had literally just looked up the other day what happened to them and was sad to find out they went out of business in the late 90s.

can't wait for the toys that made us on micro machines.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yooooo I had the old van one that opened into a town.

Actually, I may still have it somewhere in the basement. Pretty sure I kept them all including the Star Wars Micromachines.

EDIT:

This one

047-micro-machines-galoob-cat-1992-super-van-city-post.jpg

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Huh, it was so ubiquitous in my childhood I assumed it hadn't left.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yo these things are awesome.

I found my old box of micro machines a while back, and now my kid plays with them.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had the original version of that city playset depicted in the banner. So awesome. I didn't know they weren't making these any more.

2012FM4776.jpg

Edit: I didn't have the car one, didn't know there were different sets.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
It's a bit weird to call this an 80s toy comeback when it was popular well into the 2000s and I don't feel like it's been gone that long.

Actually, I may still have it somewhere in the basement. Pretty sure I kept them all including the Star Wars Micromachines.

EDIT:

This one

I literally loved this thing. I am sure I could find it, too.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh they just killed off Star Wars Micro Machines because they said there was no interest in the brand
384524124.jpg

Last edited:

SpyGuy

Oct 30, 2017
Oh man that's awesome. I especially love the military and Star Wars lines. Hope they release more of those.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Oh cool, I was wondering what happened to these recently. They were cool back in the day.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
For reasons I'll never understand, they changed the racing model after V3 to make it slower and more forgiving, and they made all the cars drive exactly the same. So the old games are pretty much all objectively better.
Yeah I think they made everything beginner friendly and that kinda ruined it, also there was that other game that was based on the Micromachines racing games but that too was eh.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Had this exact one too.
I literally loved this thing. I am sure I could find it, too.
Yooooo. I had this one, too!
I had that one too. One of my favorite toys as a kid.
I had that exact same set!

Oh the nostalgia

I remember a car would always get stuck in that little red shack next to the racetrack allll the time if it turned while in there, had to like lift it upside down and slap it free lol

Dec 25, 2018
am I misrembering things or was there somewhere between the 90's and early 00's micromachines that combined into some kind of robot? and a blue and orange RV truck? I can vaguely recall having at least one of those 2 things, but not finding it on google has me questioning if that was micromachines or I was imagining things?

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
That's awesome, they were one of my favorite toys.

EDIT:

This one

047-micro-machines-galoob-cat-1992-super-van-city-post.jpg
Hell yeah! I remember getting this from a giant flea market when I was a tiny babboo.

Anyone remember the action fleet series Star Wars stuff? I freaking loved them (but only was allowed to get a couple)
dscn1024.jpg

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome, they were one of my favorite toys.
Hell yeah! I remember getting this from a giant flea market when I was a tiny babboo.

Anyone remember the action fleet series Star Wars stuff? I freaking loved them (but only was allowed to get a couple)
dscn1024.jpg

Dude I'm not even kidding, that's still on my dresser lmao Same exact one and I'm pretty sure it was bought at KB.

Oct 27, 2017
I had the original version of that city playset depicted in the banner. So awesome. I didn't know they weren't making these any more.

2012FM4776.jpg

Edit: I didn't have the car one, didn't know there were different sets.

Bah gawd, mah childhood. I had this, I loved it so much. I'd play with it for hours.

I also had all the little sets that locked together and an aircraft carrier.

I bought a load of cheap sets off eBay a few years ago for my kids, the Van, the city truck, the carwash, some tanker that folds out into a city. They loved them too.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bah gawd, mah childhood. I had this, I loved it so much. I'd play with it for hours.

I also had all the little sets that locked together and an aircraft carrier.

I bought a load of cheap sets off eBay a few years ago for my kids, the Van, the carwash, some tanker that folds out into a city. They loved them too.

Me too! It was cozy AF. The stickers would become annoying though.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Dude I'm not even kidding, that's still on my dresser lmao Same exact one and I'm pretty sure it was bought at KB.
I had that one and the A-Wing. I wanted the Millennium Falcon and B-Wing but could never find it. Then when I finally did (Falcon), wasn't allowed. :(

They were at a local toy + funky shit store, so not really a strictly toy store.

No joke they're the one toy from my childhood I wish I still had because I'd take 'em now.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do love the Star Trek Micro Machines starships, but Eaglemoss has basically filled that niche these days.

Oct 26, 2017
Ha, I literally just watched the Toy Galaxy video on Micro Machines 2 days ago. This is a great Youtube channel if you're after an informative blast of nostalgia.

I'd love to see the Mage Drive games get a proper rerelease. '96 was the peak of the series, none of the entries on the following consoles even came close. Also shout out to the J-cart!
316460-mega_drive_j_cart.jpg

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I had that one and the A-Wing. I wanted the Millennium Falcon and B-Wing but could never find it. Then when I finally did (Falcon), wasn't allowed. :(

They were at a local toy + funky shit store, so not really a strictly toy store.

No joke they're the one toy from my childhood I wish I still had because I'd take 'em now.
I always wanted the A-Wing and Y-Wing. I think they even had the B-Wing and Imperial Shuttle too.