• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
You got countless versions of Monopoly, Risk, Clue, even a fucking Willy Wonka themed version of Candy Land. Every time I look in the board game sections, I am constantly wondering why on earth we have not gotten a theme version of Clue based on the awesome Clue movie?!

v1.bTsxMTE2OTMwMDtqOzE4MTc0OzEyMDA7ODAwOzEyMDA

I know I'm not the only person who loves this movie, as over the years it has become a cult classic. It's been one of my favorites since I was a kid. Every time I see a new themed version of Clue though, i get so depressed that we still haven't even seen this happen. We really needed a fucking Rick and Morty version of Clue first, huh?

Hell, if they wanna be cheap about it, just use the card images from the movie.
2o8oCQo.jpg

I'm not gonna be happy until this happens Hasbro!

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
After seeing Tim Curry there really everything I want now is a Clue game based on the Rocky Horro Picture Show.

OP
OP
Shantae

Shantae

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Like Hasbro can't afford it? They seem to have no problem to with all the other countless themed versions of board games they do. I'm sure the Harry Potter likeness costs for their Harry Potter Clue game wasn't cheap. I doubt any of those actors have likeness rights that are so expensive, or in high demand.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Like Hasbro can't afford it? They seem to have no problem to with all the other countless themed versions of board games they do. I'm sure the Harry Potter likeness costs for their Harry Potter Clue game wasn't cheap

Likeness rights aren't just a question of cost. There's still a whole yarn ball of legalese that would need to be approved on both sides to make it happen, in addition to getting the permission from the film production company. It's just more work than it's worth.

Especially nowadays when the movie is so far out of the public consciousness it's basically just nostalgia bait.

OP
OP
Shantae

Shantae

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Likeness rights aren't just a question of cost. There's still a whole yarn ball of legalese that would need to be approved on both sides to make it happen, in addition to getting the permission from the film production company. It's just more work than it's worth.

Especially nowadays when the movie is so far out of the public consciousness it's basically just nostalgia bait.
Isn't that like half of what all the themed versions of board games are? Nostalgia bait?

Oct 27, 2017
Like Hasbro can't afford it? They seem to have no problem to with all the other countless themed versions of board games they do. I'm sure the Harry Potter likeness costs for their Harry Potter Clue game wasn't cheap. I doubt any of those actors have likeness rights that are so expensive, or in high demand.
it's actually a good question. apparently Hasbro still has a deal going with Paramount, which was behind the original Clue movie, so there shouldn't be any rights issues with the studio, maybe it's still just too niche, even with the cult audience

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I thought this was going in the direction of a video game themed Clue, which would be DOPE. Metal Gear Risk is one of my favorite versions of Risk.

OP
OP
Shantae

Shantae

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I thought this was going in the direction of a video game themed Clue, which would be DOPE. Metal Gear Risk is one of my favorite versions of Risk.
I was given the Metal Gear Risk board game for my birthday a few years back from my brother...nice thought I guess, he knew I liked Metal Gear. But it's sad, because I've never had anyone to play it with :( I'm a sad sad individual.